• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 817 Views, 6 Comments

Watchers - DoctorSerious

  • ...
3
 6
 817

Prologue

Watchers

A story by Doctor Serious

Before we start, this is a new way of storytelling I wanted to try out. Please tell me in the comments if you like this writingstyle.

The music that inspired me. Listen to it if you want

The night rose, and many ponies left the late night party Pinkie Pie had given. The party was a huge success, even getting the attention of ponies from Canterlot.

Fluttershy left at the usual time. The party had worn her out, she really needed the rest. The only problem was the party was far away from her home, thus making her walk through the dark streets of Ponyville for a long time.

She began to feel scared as she heard hoovesteps behind her. She quickly turned around.

"Please don't hurt me...!" she yelled, while trying to cover her face.

A stallion looked at her with confusion.

"Wow, take it easy, miss. I'm not going to hurt ya."

Fluttershy looked up in mild suprise, as she rose her hooves down.

"Ooh, I-I'm terribly sorry," she said, sounding as her shy usual self. "I-I'm a little shaky when it's dark, you see...?"

The stallion nodded understandably.

"I understand, I sometimes have that feeling to." he said, trying to comfort Fluttershy a little.

For a little while, they both looked at eachother, wondering who would say the next sentence.

It was Fluttershy.

"Umm..."

She looked at the ground for a moment.

"What's your name, mister...?"

"The name is Corn," he said, smiling. "What's your name, miss?"

Fluttershy slowly whispered her name to him.

"Umm... my name is Fluttershy..."

Corn looked at her with questioning eyes.

"I... couldn't quite hear you there. What did you say your name was?" he asked again.

She looked at the ground again, trying to avoid his gaze.

"It... is Flu-Uttershy..."

An awkward silence flew by.

"That's a nice name, a pleasure to meet you, Fluttershy~" Corn said with a smile and holding out his hoof, waiting for Fluttershy to shake it.

Fluttershy looked at the hoof for a moment and finally gave it a slow shake.

"T-thank you, sir. It's nice to meet you too..." she stammered.

Corn smiled.

"Please, call me Corn. 'Sir' makes me sound old." he tried to say under a small laugh.

"Ooh... okay then, Corn..."

Corn gaze went to face hers again.

"So, where are you going Fluttershy?"

"I'm going back to my house," she sighed. "I'm really tired after the party..."

A small nod was given

"I can understand that, that pink pony sure knows how to throw a good one, hey?" he replied.

Fluttershy nodded back. She sure knew how Pinkie Pie could throw some parties, after attending to most of them.

"Yes, she's really nice. Her name is Pinkie Pie..."

"Aha, so that's her name. Thanks for telling me, Fluttershy."

"No problem. She's a very good friend of mine..." she told him.

Corn looked up in surpise.

"Really? Wow, Fluttershy, I'm so glad for you to have such a great friend." he said, looking more and more upbeat.

"Mhm, she's a great friend, just like all my other friends here in Ponyville..."

Both gave eachother a smile, breaking the shyness in Fluttershy a little.

Corn suddenly asked a question.

"Mind if I join you when you walk back home?"

Fluttershy looked up, a corncerning feeling creeping up in her belly.

"Huh? W-why would you want to join me?" she said, sounding like she was questioned.

"So we both won't be so lonely during our walk." he replied, looking at the ground, worrying a little. "I'm sorry if I sound creepy to you. And I understand if you don't want me to join you..."

Fluttershy looked at him with sadness.

"Ooh no no no..," she tried to correct herself. "It's just that... you asked it so
suddenly..."
He looked up to her again.

"I'm sorry, please forgive my rudeness. But I thought maybe, we could talk to eachother on the way to your house, until we cross the place where I stay." he apologized.

Both ponies looked at eachother.

"It sounds better than going alone..." she whispered to herself.

She quickly nodded.

"Okay, come on then, Corn. We've still got plenty of road before us..." she said, sounding happier than first.

A pleasent smile appeared on Corn's face.

"Thank you, Fluttershy." she quickly spoke, before standing beside her. "Let's go then."

Together, the two ponies walked towards Fluttershy's house and to the unknown destination of Corn.

For a while, there was only silence between the two of them, until Fluttershy spoke up.

"So where are you staying for the night?" she asked him. "I've never seen you around here before..."

"I'm staying at my grand parents house. My parents are gone for an indefinite time." he explained, a bit of sadness appearing on his face.

Fluttershy gave him a sorry look.

"Ooh, I'm sorry to hear that... Why are they gone?"

"Problems with their families" he said. "They live in another part of the country, which I don't remember the name of. I sure hope my family is doing fine..."

"I hope so too..." she replied, feeling a bit sad for him.

Corn looked at her for a moment.

"How about you? You seem to be a pegasus, why don't you live in Cloudsdale."

Many memories about Cloudsdale appeared before her eyes, causing her to look away for a moment.

"I... don't have great memories about Cloudsdale. Plus, over here are all these cute woodland critters, needing my attention..."

Corn looked at her flank.

"Ooh, I see." he said, looking at her cutie mark. "Now I understand what those butterflies stand for.

A big blush appeared on Fluttershy's face.

"W-what? You were looking at my cutie mark like that...!?

Corn quickly looked forward again, a small blush appearing on his face as well.

"S-sorry, I shouldn't have..."

A awkward silence took over once more.

After a little while, Corn spoke up.

"I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I shouldn't have looked at your cutie mark like that."

Fluttershy's face was still red as beetroot.

"I-it's okay..." she stammered under the sudden heat she felt.

She took a quick peek at his flank, seeing a rake and a bucket of dirt.

"What does your cutie mark stand for?" she asked.

"I love gardening," he replied. "Ever since I was a little colt, I always stared at the gardeners who were watering their flowers and plants.

He gave a quick sigh.

"The flowers looked beautiful and the plants grew delicious looking vegetables."

"My friend Applejack take care of the apples here in Ponyville..," she explained. "Together with her brother, Big Macintosh, her younger sister Applebloom and old Granny Smith..."

"Yeah, I've heard about if. They say the apples they grow are amazing, as well as their famous Applesider. I wish I could taste them one day."

Fluttershy gave him a shy smile.

"If you want, we can go there sometimes, if you'd like..." she offered.

"Really? That sounds like a great idea! We should do that when we have the chance, Fluttershy." he replied rather loudly and smiling brightly.

They both looked up, seeing the moon and stars shine brightly.

"It looks really nice tonight..." a glinstering of tears appearing in the corners of her eyes.

"It sure does. Do you look at the stars often?"

She shook her head.

"Not really, I'm a little scared of the dark..." she told him, blushing slightly.

"I guess everypony is scared of something." he remarked.

"What scares you then...? A curious look on her face.

A new sadness appeared on Corn's face.

"Loneliness..."

"Loneliness...?" she asked him with slight disbelieve.

"Mhm" he replied sounding less like the upbeat pony she met a little while ago. "I sounds like you have great friends, Fluttershy. But when I was young, I didn't have much friends. Only one to be precise..."

Fluttershy put down one of her hooves on his shoulder, feeling sadness taking her over as well.

"Ooh, you poor thing..." she said, trying to sound as motherly as she could.

Corn felt her hoof touch his shoulder, soft and comfortable.

"I called him Flour. He was my imaginary friend, bit I always believed he was real." he told her, sounding more and more depressed as he continued. "I remember all the things we had done together, from nice to naughty. But he started to vanish when I began to grow up, and at last it struck me that he wasn't real."

Fluttershy hold him tighter now, wanting more and more to comfort him.

"That... must have hurt to you..."

A tear escaped the sides of Corn's eyes as he looked at Fluttershy with pure sadness.

" 'Hurt' doesn't even describe it, dear Fluttershy..," he spoke, trying to control himself. "I was socially awkward after that, I coulnd't connect with others..."

Fluttershy gave him a hug, feeling his shivering body touch hers.

"Please don't be so sad..," she said with a calming voice. "I'm sure you have plenty of friends now..."

Corn's face brightened up as Fluttershy hugged him and spoke to him with such calmness.

"Luckily, I did. When I went to college, I met a group of ponies who were also socially awkward and with the same problems. From the outcasts to the cool ponies, I met them all. And many became my friend after the began to know me. And..."

He looked away for a moment and then meeting Fluttershy's gaze again.

"Now I've met another great friend this night." he said, smiling again.

"And i've met another great friend too..." she replied, smiling back at him.

The walk continued. Many minutes past with them talking about their lives, how Fluttershy took care of the animals and how they took care of her during hard times. Corn told about his college time and the jobs he had taken. Many laughs were shared and many tears were dried, from both Fluttershy and Corn.

At last, they arrived at Fluttershy's house.

"Well, here it is..." she sighed, happy to be back at her home.

Corn observed the house thoroughly, looking at the suprising amount of plantlife growing around it.

"Wow, much more plantlife than I expected."

"You like it?"

He nodded.

"It's really nice, what with all those flowers and plants surrounding it" he said.

This truly was his element.

"I'm glad you like it..." Fluttershy shyly replied.

"Well, now that we're here, I guess I should take off. I saw the house I had to be at."

He slowly walked away from Fluttershy.

"It was nice talking to you, Fluttershy. I'll come visit you soo. Goodbye!" he waved and he walked away towards his destination.

After a little hesitation, Fluttershy called him.

"Corn, wait...!" she softly called out to him.

Corn turned around, looking at Fluttershy with confusion.

"Something wrong, Fluttershy?" he asked.

"Don't you want... something to drink before you go...?" she asked him.

She turned around, her head becoming a deep crimson.

Corn blushed as well.

"Umm... Okay, if you insist." he replied shyly.

They shared a cold drink together, both looking at eachother from time to time. To Corn, her soft yellow fur and her pink mane seemed to tell her personality in a flash, while Fluttershy looked at the light, grass green stallion with his tousled yellow like hair. Both unable to speak, but their gaze meant enough, they were both very happy to have met eachother.

After a few minutes had past, Corn stood up and walked towards the door.

"Thanks for the drink, Fluttershy," he said, feeling refreshed after the drink she had given him. "But I really have to go now. Good luck to ya."

Fluttershy gave him a happy smile.

"Okay, Corn. I'll take you to Sweet Apple acres when you come by again...~"

"I can't wait!" he smiled. "Goodbye Fluttershy."
.

With these words he waved and went out her front door.

"Goodbye, Corn..." she replied.

And so a friendship started, between Fluttershy and Corn.

To be continued.