• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 7,213 Views, 224 Comments

When The Snow Melts - Bluespectre



In the forest of bamboo, the first snows of winter have begun to fall. A white blanket begins to cover the quiet hills the reed worker calls home. His quiet and peaceful life is changed forever by the discovery of a stranger in the snow.

  • ...
29
 224
 7,213

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Eighteen - Selective Deafness

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

SELECTIVE DEAFNESS

Lord Ire sat down heavily in the meeting hall, with two of his senior advisors seating themselves to either side of him. They were both worldly men of middle age, quiet and unassuming, politely waiting for him to finish yawning before addressing him.

“My lord?”

The younger man scratched his head and stretched languorously, his unkempt tunic hanging half-open and clearly suffering from one too many late nights. Ire groaned.

“For the gods’ sake, Dinu, what the hell is it now? Don’t you know what time it is?”

“Yes, my lord. Please, forgive my rudeness.”

Ire waved it off. “Well then, out with it.”

The advisor took out his scroll and cleared his throat. “A message from the governor’s office of the southern province, my lord. He states that a child has been killed by a wild animal, and the villagers who went out to look for it have similarly been attacked. There were few survivors.”

“So?”

Dinu looked up from the scroll, puzzled. “My lord?”

“So what?” Ire reached down to scratch his leg. “A bunch of peasants rush off to find a wild animal and it goes horribly wrong. Maybe that will teach them to not go off on hunting expeditions unless they’re properly prepared.”

One of the castle servants appeared with a tray of tea and sweets. Bowing, she set it before him and tittered as he gave her a cheeky wink.

“Is that it then, Dinu? Can I go now?”

The advisor could feel his blood pressure rise as it usually did when he had to deal with the young lord. He would calm down as he grew older no doubt. The last lord had, but sometimes…

“Forgive me, my lord, but this is one of our larger farming communities. They have lost a large number of their children in this ‘attack’, and it could have serious ramifications for us in the long term. There is also the possibility of the villagers being too frightened to till the land if the animal is still out there.”

Ire yawned. “Look, Dinu, these farmers are as fickle as the wind. They live in a state of constant fear: frightened the weather will be bad, frightened of bandits, frightened of,” he waved his arms for emphasis, “‘scary animals’. These idiots have lives about as substantial as mayflies, Dinu. What do you want me to do, keep an armed detachment there on the off chance a lost bear turns up? Do you know how much that would cost?”

The other advisor spoke up. “Excuse me, my lord, but isn’t the local governor responsible for that area? He receives a stipend from your coffers and therefore should be the one to provide assistance.”

Ire waved a finger at him. “Yes…Yes! Thank you, Ethru, you’re right. Absolutely you’re right!” He turned to his other advisor. “There you have it, Dinu, it’s the governor’s responsibility. Let him deal with it.”

Dinu read through the scroll for a moment before replying, “I’m afraid there’s more to it than that, my lord.”

“Well? Spit it out, man!”

“The governor’s deputy was a young warrior named Nile. You may recall him from the winter festival last month?”

Ire took a mouthful of his tea. “Vaguely, I suppose. What about him?”

“He’s dead.”

Ire thumped his fist on his knee in frustration. “Well, get another one! Bloody hell, Dinu, you don’t need to put everything past me, you know. Make a decision yourself!” He began to get up. “This has been a complete waste of my time, gentlemen. I’m going back to bed where all civilised people should be at this hour.”

Ethru cleared his throat. “My lord, Nile is Lord Salu’s son.”

The mood suddenly changed, Ire dropping back down to the floor with a thump. “He’s…oh gods, why didn’t someone say sooner?!”

“He was apparently leading the expedition to track the beast down and kill it when the thing turned on them,” the older advisor stated levelly. “There’s not much more to go on.”

Ire stared straight ahead, his bloodshot eyes now filled with an intensity that looked to Ethru like the young lord was trying to bore holes in the wall with just his gaze. “Dinu, Ethru, you find this thing, you kill it, and you bring me its head, do you understand me?”

“Yes, Lord.”

Lord Ire suddenly grabbed Dinu tunic. “Make it happen, Dinu, or else it’s my head that will be placed before Lord Salu.” He narrowed his eyes. “And you know what happens to a lord’s retinue when that happens…”

Dinu bowed. “Yes, Lord.”

**********************

Nasta could feel a headache coming on. Dehydration, fear, and the stress of the previous night had all taken their toll on him. At least he was at home now, with his beloved daughters and loving wife, Petal. He’d never let them out again. No, they’d stay in the house…with him, safe and sound. The servants could go out and run the errands; the customers could come to him. It would all work out as it should. He nodded to himself. That was it, all so simple after all.

The door opened behind him, and his heart nearly burst from his chest. He wheeled around. “FOR THE GODS’ SAKE!”

Crockery smashed on the floor as the servant’s hands flew to her face, tears beginning to stream down her cheeks. Nasta stood up, holding out his hand.

“Oh, look, I’m sorry…I…”

“Darling?” Petal appeared from behind the frightened serving girl, smiling to her kindly. “It’s alright, Bell, just get a new pot. I’ll sort this out.”

“Yes, my lady.”

Nasta shook his head, walking over to the corner of the room with a sigh. He sat down on one of the small cushions, gazing at the alcove which contained his family shrine. It was always so neat and trim, a reflection of how he tried to run his life. Mother, Father, Blossom—they were all gone now. He couldn’t… wasn’t going to lose any more. A bundle of incense appeared in the holder, the pungent grey smoke beginning to curl up around the shrine. Nasta watched the small glowing ends of the sticks as they smouldered. Petal knelt beside him, placing the taper back in its box.

“You loved them, didn’t you?”

Nasta nodded. “I did. I still do.”

Petal clapped her hands together in prayer. A few moments passed before she bowed to the shrine, and looked up at her husband sadly. “There are those here who love you as well, Nasta. Don’t forget that, please.”

Her husband closed his eyes and shook his head. “You don’t understand. You didn’t see what I saw…what that thing was capable of. Petal, I’m afraid, not for myself but for you, all of you. We’re all in terrible danger.”

Petal’s heart skipped a beat. “Dear, the boss’ men are out looking for it and the governor will send more troops. There’s only one of those…things, isn’t there?”

“As far as I know.”

“So stop worrying, Nasta. It’ll all work out, you’ll see.” She took her husband’s head in her hands and kissed him. “Come on, let’s get you that bath and something to eat. You look famished.”

Nasta was in a near daze when he eventually found himself deposited in the bath house. Petal began to take his shirt off, a smile on her face. Those freckles were so cute—he’d always adored them. As his shirt fell away, Nasta took Petal’s hand. She looked up at him, confused at the interruption, but he just smiled and shook his head.

“Thanks, Petal. I’ll be fine doing the rest myself.”

Petal paused, gazing into his eyes like she was looking for something. “Nasta?”

He laughed. “Seriously! I’m alright; I just need a little time to myself. I’ll be in soon.”

His wife didn’t look convinced, her brown eyes confused but resigned. “Don’t be too long, dear. We’ve got some lovely grilled fish for you.”

Nasta smiled, kissing Petal’s hand before she reluctantly left.

Closing his eyes, Nasta leaned against the bath and splashed some of the water onto his face. Try as he might, he couldn’t get the image of the two young villagers out of his head, the way they’d been…

He rammed his head under the water, pulling it back out a moment later and giving it a shake. He was alive, they were dead, and that was what mattered right now, that and his family. Tomorrow, he’d see about moving them all to another village…no, another town. One of the large ones, maybe even a city? Smiling to himself, he lowered his aching body into the bath. Gods, that was good! So, so good.

Heat and steam enveloped him, soothing his joints and easing away the tension that had reached breaking point. Nasta swore under his breath. He couldn’t believe how stupid he’d been to agree to go into the forest at night…at night! It was a fool’s errand right from the beginning. Rush had been right all along, and now, Rush was…

“Oh gods, Rush, forgive me…” he gripped the side of the bath, “…forgive me.”

He had never been that close with his stepbrother. That entire side of the family were like strangers in many ways, except for Blossom. The girl had been a universal constant within the family, and he had often thought of her as the glue that kept them all together. Rush, on the other hand, he used to view as his mother’s ‘other apprentice’, especially after her ‘natural’ son disappeared into the forest to live like some wild man. That said, as different as the two of them were from one another, he had felt that they had grown a lot closer recently, that they had begun to bond as brothers.

Now, though, it was too late for any of that. Blossom had been Rush’s last living blood relative, and now they were both gone. He had never even had a chance to say goodbye.

Nasta scrubbed his head. Gods damn it, it was going to take ages to feel clean again. He could still smell that odd metallic tang of iron in his nose; the stink of blood. The way it had sprayed across the snow…he was glad in some ways that it had been dark out, and he hadn’t been able to see how red it was against the snowy white background. He’d seen enough of it, though, too much, and it had stuck to his boots as he had run through the carnage.

Nasta sighed. He’d have the servants burn them and fetch a new pair from the cobbler in the morning. He stared up at the ceiling, watching the steam curl around the rafters. In his mind, he could see the dead eyes of the youngsters looking at him as their spirits left their earthly bodies behind, drifting away, up into the heavens. How could the gods allow this to happen? They were just kids for the gods’ sake! He stretched his legs out over the side and allowed himself to float, trying to forget everything he had seen. In the morning, he’d see the village elder and look to relocating his family to another town. Then they could start again and leave this horror behind them.

The world began to drift away in the warm water. He’d have to get out soon or he’d fall asleep in here. Right now, though, it felt like he could happily drift away into that eternal night, peaceful, calming—

“Nasta?”

Now he was hearing things. He’d better get out now before he really did cross over the river.

“Nasta, you there?”

Good gods! He wasn’t hearing things after all. He could see movement outside through the narrow crack in one of the planks next to a support beam.

“Who’s there?”

The voice came back, not much more than a whisper. “Nasta, it’s me, Cray”

Nasta’s heart skipped a beat. “Cray? Oh gods, Cray! You’re alive!” He felt a great flood of relief run through him. “Oh thank the gods. I thought I was the only one.”

A though hit him. “What the hell are you doing out there? Come in, man!”

“I can’t.”

“What? Why not?”

“I…I can’t. Look, just answer my questions, alright? I’m sorry, Nasta, but it’s important.”

Nasta scratched his head. This was all very strange, but…Cray was alive! He quickly pulled himself out the water. “Hang on, I’ll grab a towel.”

A few moments later, he was sat by the crack in the wall. He couldn’t see Cray clearly, but it was him alright. There was no mistaking that heavy voice, as rumbling as the village forge when it was in full swing. What Nasta couldn’t understand was why was he outside?

“Nasta, you still there?”

“I am. What’s going on, Cray? This isn’t like you.”

Cray sighed, and Nasta could hear his feet shuffling. “I know! Gods damn it, Nasta, please, just answer my questions. For the love of the gods, man, just do this for me alright?”

“Of course, Cray, of course.”

“Where’s Rush?”

“I don’t know. I think he’s…I think he’s dead, like the others. I heard him cry out and then nothing. I didn’t look back, Cray. I…I left him there.”

“Is there anything strange going on in town? Any…visitors?”

“What? I…No, I…” Nasta shook his head. “Cray, someone set fire to our bloody storehouse. I’d call that strange, wouldn’t you? As for ‘visitors’, the answer is no.”

There was a pause. Cray pressed closer to the crack. He sounded…frightened? “Nasta, listen, are my family alright?”

“Yes, they’re with the others at the boss’s house. His boys are scouring the village for whomever or whatever did this. Good gods, Cray, it’s like we’re under siege here. I’m getting Petal and the girls out tomorrow.”

“Oh gods, Nasta, don’t!”

“What?”

“I can’t say! Just…don’t leave the village, understand? If you do…”

“Cray?”

“I’ve got to go.”

“Cray, you still there? Cray!”

Silence.

Nasta sat back, leaning his head against the wall. What the hell was all that about? Cray was alive, but he would not come in the house, skulking around outside like a stray cat? It was all so bizarre, but…that warning about leaving the village…

“Darling? Are you alright in there? You’ve been in rather a long time.”

Nasta opened the door. Petal was stood there, quietly holding a fresh set of clothes for him that he took, smiling at her. Holding them up to his nose, he breathed in the scent of the washing soap and sunshine. Gods, he couldn’t wait for morning. To see the sunrise, to feel the sun’s rays upon his face even in winter, was like a gift from heaven.

“Nasta?”

He smiled at Petal and gave her a quick peck on the lips. “I’m fine, my love, thank you.” Nasta put on his robes and tied them up quickly, enjoying the feel of the clean linen against his skin.

“Come on, someone tells me they have some grilled fish?”

Author's Note:

Edited by JBL

PreviousChapters Next