• Published 29th May 2015
  • 2,139 Views, 26 Comments

Stand By You - Bluecatcinema



The story of Mist's pregnancy.

  • ...
6
 26
 2,139

Month Nine: A Glimpse Of The Sun

(It is highly recommended that you read "House Of The Crystal Sun" before this chapter.)

The ninth month came, and Mist grew ever larger, greatly reducing her physical activities. She would spend most of her days relaxing at the castle, taking naps and gleefully eating for two. Blue would come and join her as often as he could, cuddling her heavily pregnant frame, and assuring her that he still thought she looked beautiful.

One morning, Blue came to the castle to find most of the royals rushing around, packing and preparing for something.

"Did you remember to pack the travel shampoo?" Blueblood asked Dusty.

"For the fifth time, yes!" Dusty groaned.

"Let's try not to be late this time." Luna frowned. "Remember the last time that happened?"

"Do I." Celestia sighed. "So many dirty looks from the other delegates..."

Mist was in the study, reading her favorite book, and helping herself to a plate full of biscuits.

"Hey, babe." Blue smiled.

"Hi." Mist looked up from her book.

"What's with all the action around here?" Blue asked. "Everypony's rushing around like they're tails are on fire."

"Oh, they're just getting ready to go to this big conference up in the Crystal Empire." Mist smiled.

"Another conference, huh?" Blue chuckled. "You royals sure love those things... So, how many of 'em are going?"

"Just about everypony." Mist declared. "Since I'm in no state to do much traveling, Celestia suggested I stay behind and keep an eye on Canterlot while they're away."

"Wait, they're leaving you in charge?" Blue gaped.

"Yes." Mist nodded.

"But... but you're pregnant!" Blue splut

"Am I really?" Mist said sarcastically. "I hadn't noticed."

"I meant, do you really think you're up to this?" Blue asked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Mist frowned.

"Well, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure being in charge of a kingdom is a hard job." Blue declared. "And in your... condition, maybe this isn't the best time to try it."

"What, you think I can't handle it?" Mist asked.

"...I didn't say that." Blue muttered.

"You were thinking it, though." Mist noted.

"Well... can you blame me?" Blue retorted. "This isn't exactly the best time for you to be taking on such a big responsibility. What if something happens?"

"Nothing's going to happen." Mist sighed. "Besides, the others will only be gone for a couple of days, max. Everything will be just fine."

"Promise?" Blue asked.

"Promise." Mist pecked him on the cheek. "Trust me. This'll be a piece of cake."

"Yeah, you're probably right." Blue admitted, though still a little worried. "It's only a couple of days. What could happen?"

"Exactly." Mist nodded.

Before long, the other royals were ready to go. Blue and Mist came out to see them off.

"Enjoy the conference, guys." Mist smiled.

"We will." Celestia declared.

"You sure you'll be okay here by yourself?" Shine asked, echoing Blue's own worries.

"Relax, Shine." Mist frowned. "I won't be by myself. I'll have the Guards and the servants to help if anything goes wrong, remember?"

"Yeah, Shine." Blue smirked. "Don't you have any faith in your sister?"

Mist nudged Blue, silently reminding him of his own worries.

"What?" Blue pouted.

"If you ask me, you're coming out on top here." Constell sighed at Mist. "Don't get me wrong, I love visiting Shining and Cadance, but going to another boring conference? You, on the other hoof, get to hang out here, and relax."

"Luck of the draw, I guess." Mist shrugged. "Bring me back a souvenir?"

"Sure thing." Constell grinned.

"Talk, talk, talk." Vito groaned. "Are we going, or aren't we?"

"Somepony's impatient." Pureblood snarked.

"He's not the only one." Miracle declared. "I can't wait to see everypony!"

"We'd better get going." Gothic chuckled.

"Agreed." Luna nodded. "No time like the present."

The royals climbed into their carriages, which took off into the sky.

"Bye, everypony!" Mist waved. "Come back soon!"

In a matter of moments, the carriages disappeared from view.

"...So, now that they're gone, does that make you the 'top Princess' around here?" Blue chuckled.

"Guess so." Mist shrugged.

"That's kinda hot." Blue teased.

"Oh, really?" Mist chuckled. "Care to join the top Princess in a royal lunch?"

"With pleasure, your majesty." Blue bowed as exaggeratedly as he could.

"Come on." Mist chuckled. "I'm in the mood for some dandelion soup..."

"Me too." Blue nodded.

After enjoying lunch with Mist, Blue returned to Blazin' Blue's. Though he did choose to come back to the castle after closing time and spend the night with Mist, figuring she'd be lonely.

For the next couple of days, everything was normal. Blue opened up the bar, and served his customers, while Mist oversaw the castle's running, which thankfully didn't amount to much; it seemed like she had chosen the perfect time to look after things in Canterlot, as there appeared to be nothing happening.

But as the third day passed... things started to seem... iffy.

At the bar, Blue noticed that Vinny hadn't come in recently. The stallion tended to come and go as he pleased, but he had mentioned the week before that he would be coming down to help out. And yet... nothing. Wanting to make sure everything was okay, Blue picked up the phone Vinny had paid to be installed, and rang the number for his family's mansion.

"The number you have dialled has been disconnected." The voice on the other end announced. "We apologise for any inconvenience."

"Disconnected?" Blue frowned. "What's going on down there?"

Back at the castle, Mist, acknowledging that the others had been gone longer than she had thought, decided to send a letter to the Crystal Empire.

'No harm in making sure everything's okay, right?' She thought.

The next day, the others still hadn't returned, and there had been no reply to the letter. Mist was starting to worry.

"I don't get it." She told Blue at lunch. "Why are they taking so long? It's a conference, not a vacation!"

"It is kinda weird how long they've been for." Blue admitted.

"Maybe something's gone wrong." Mist mused. "Very wrong."

"It's probably nothing." Blue shrugged "Maybe one of the Pegasi pulled a wing, or there's some big blizzard up north."

"That might be what's happened..." Mist mused. "But I can't shake this weird feeling that something's not quite right."

"Boy, and you thought I was a worrier." Blue smiled, as he stroked her mane. "I'm sure they'll be back soon. Maybe even tomorrow."

"Yeah, maybe." Mist said halfheartedly.

It turned out Mist's feelings of foreboding were correct.

Far away, in the Crystal Empire, the entire city was overrun by shadow ponies. Ponies were getting terrorized, buildings were being ransacked, and most of the royals were imprisoned. Those who weren't, being Shine, Miracle, and Sleight, were out on the lam. At the center of it all was none other than Earth Pony made Unicorn Black Knight Paladin, who was currently acting under the pseudonym "Red Eclipse", an old childhood nickname he devised for himself back in the days.

With the horn of Sombra now attached to his head, he had single-handily blew up the mansion of the Napoleon Brothers, attacked the conference, and captured almost all the royals. It was a part of a big plan he had to gain the power of the legendary Crystal Sun.

After imprisoning their captives, Black spoke with his minion, Twitch, instructing him on the next phase of his plan.

"I will send the shadow ponies to Canterlot." Black declared. "They will lay siege to the castle, and take the Crystal Sun shard."

"Th-that'll be all too easy, boss." Twitch grinned. "I have it on g-good authority that the only royal left at the castle is Mist Paladin."

Black froze up, instantly remembering the name.

"Mist?" He said quietly, "As in Prince Shine's younger sister?"

"Y-yep." Twitch nodded. "Maybe those sh-shadow ponies of yours could rip her limb from limb. That'd be quite a sight, huh? Especially given how she's p-preggo and all."

"No." Black shook his head. "There will be no tearing limb from limb."

"Huh?" Twitch frowned. "B-but boss-"

"But nothing." Black growled. "I'm sending the shadow ponies to do a specific job, not indulge in wanton murder. Besides, having another Princess out there might work to our advantage."

"H-how?" Twitch asked.

"None of your business." Black snarled.

"Uh... n-no offense boss, but that doesn't sound like you." Twitch admitted. "P-ponies say you're a stone-cold monster, who doesn't care about collateral damage. What's with the big swerve?"

"It's none of your business." Black repeated.

"It just seems pretty weird to me." Twitch declared, a defiant sneer on his face. "Why would you care about some pregnant mare you've never even met before? Maybe the big, bad Red Eclipse has a soft spot..."

"My reasons are my own." Black declared. "And you will not question them, or else I'll rip out your tongue. Understand?"

"Y-yes, boss." Twitch nodded.

"Good." Black snorted. "Now leave me. I've had enough of your whiny voice for one day."

"A-anything you say." Twitch nodded, leaving the room.

Black walked over to a balcony, gazing into the horizon.

"Little Mist, all grown up…" He said whimsically. "Hope you're ready to see your dear old uncle again..."

The next day, Mist was pacing erratically through the main hall, more worried than ever. She had attempted to contact the Empire the day before, but had received no response

"Mist, would you please calm down?" Blue tried to sooth her.

"How can I, Blue? Shine and the others should had been back by now! We hadn't heard anything back at the empire for days! Something is wrong, I just know it!" Mist fretted.

"Please, Mist, all this worrying isn't good for the foal." Blue got up to stop her pacing, "I'm sure everything is fine."

"Don't give me that." Mist glared. "Everything isn't fine."

"Well, you stressing about it isn't going to help." Blue countered.

"...I guess you're right." Mist sighed. "I just hate not knowing."

Suddenly, a loud horn blared throughout the castle.

"What the-? What's going on?!" Mist asked.

"Um, Mist…" Blue looked out the windows. "You might want to look at this."

Mist joined Blue at the windows, and her jaw dropped as a cloud of darkness approached the city of Canterlot quickly. Shadow ponies surged across the street, attacking random ponies. Luxury was one of the unlucky ones, thrown against a café table by one of the aggressors.

"What in Equestria are those?" Mist gaped.

"I don't know." Blue gulped. "But something tells me they're not friendly."

Iron Hooves walked into the room.

"Your highness, please stay back!" He called. "Canterlot is facing a possible invasion. The last thing we need is for those... things to spot you! Take cover, and I and the Royal Guard will deal with this."

"Deal with it?" Blue frowned. "How do you 'deal' with living shadows?"

"Any way we can." Iron Hooves declared. "Just go and hide in the castle's rear."

As Iron Hooves raced outside, Blue picked up on the determined look on Mist's face.

"You're not going to hide, are you?" He sighed.

"Nope." Mist declared. "As the only Princess here, it's my duty to stand firm against any threats."

"...I had a feeling you'd say that." Blue shook his head. "Guess I have no choice but to stand with you."

"Thanks, Blue." Mist kissed him on the cheek.

From their vantage point, Blue and Mist watched as the shadows breached the castle walls. Iron and the guards fought bravely, but the shadows were relentless, breaking through their every defense.

"Keep back, you vile monsters!" Iron swung his spear at a shadow pony, which passed right through. "...Well, that's not good."

The shadow pony lashed out with a hoof swing, sending Iron flying. The Captain landed hard on the ground.

"And I always thought shadow boxing was easy..." He groaned.

The battle continued, with the Royal Guard being outmatched by the nigh-invulnerable shadows. The Unicorn's magic was able to slow them down, but not by much, and the Earth Ponies and Pegasi's attacks were mostly ineffectual. Blue and Mist continued to watch, their horror mounting as the shadows grew closer and closer.

"Oh, boy." Blue cringed. "First the silence at the Empire, and now this."

"Something tells me it's no coincidence." Mist said grimly.

"Your highness." Iron Hooves, badly bruised from battle, entered the room. "The shadow ponies are breaking through our ranks. As the only member of the royal family here, you are in charge. What should we do?"

"We should fight." Mist declared.

"Mist, no!" Blue gasped. "You're nine months pregnant! We should leave, now!"

"But it's like Iron Hooves said: I'm the only one of the royal family here." Mist reminded him. "If I ran, what kind of message would that send to my subjects?"

"Well said, your highness." Iron nodded. "Celestia herself couldn't have put it better."

"That was the idea." Mist smiled. "If she were here, she'd do the same thing, right?"

"Without a doubt." Iron grinned.

The doors to the hall began shuddering like crazy.

"Here they come..." Blue gulped.

The doors were blasted open, and the shadow ponies came storming in, surrounding the three ponies. Iron Hooves stood ready to fight, while Blue was ready to protect Mist.

The shadow ponies charged up their horns, and fired... at each other. The beams intersected, and formed an image of Black.

"Hello?" Black glanced around, tapping his horn. "Is this thing on?" He glanced down at the three with a devilish glee. "Ah, good. I'm still trying to figure out this thing."

"Who are you?" Mist asked. "And why are your forces attacking us?"

Black looked at Mist, eyes narrowing. Mist didn't like that look. It sent a shiver down her spine.

"Why, I've simply sent them on a little errand." He said simply. "I'm Red Eclipse, and my employees are here for the shard of the Crystal Sun located in your vault."

"Crystal what?" Blue frowned.

'What would Celestia say if she were here?' Mist thought. 'Maybe something like...'

"I'm afraid I do not know what it is you speak of." Mist glared. "But if you think we are just going to give it to some guy talking through a projection, then you are sorely mistaken!"

'Whoa.' Blue thought, impressed. 'You go, babe!'

"Wow, you've got spunk, kid." Black smirked. "I like that... but my shadow ponies might not share that sentiment. In fact, they might lash out on this here city and it's people... heck, I bet they would love to play tug-o-war with that captain of yours."

"Just try it." Iron snarled.

"And I'm sure your family here at the Empire will want you to do as I say... not just for your sake but theirs... and what of your foal?" Black asked.

Mist stifled a growl as she felt her distended belly.

'If he tries anything...' She thought.

"What do you mean?! What have you done to Mist's family?!" Blue roared.

"Oh, I've done nothing… yet." Black chuckled darkly. "But the choice is yours, princess." Red declared. "Either give me what I want, or everypony else will suffer for it... what do you do?"

'What indeed?' Mist thought. 'Standing up to a threat is one thing, but this is something much bigger.'

'I can't believe this is happening.' Blue frowned. 'If I'd known something like this would happen, I would never have let Mist be in this position...'

Mist shared unsure glances with both Iron and Blue, and then looked at her unborn foal, before she let out a sigh.

"...Fine." Mist sighed.

"Mist! I don't know what this 'Crystal Sun' is, but you can't just give it to him!" Blue protested.

"I have no choice." Mist declared. "As princess, I must put my subjects first."

"Well said, kid." Black smiled.

"Just so long as your shadow ponies leave the ponies of Canterlot alone once I give it to you." Mist snarled.

"Of course." Black nodded. "You have my word."

"Iron." Mist gestured.

Iron gave a grunt as he quickly went to the vault and retrieved the shard, which looked like a quarter of a sphere, sky blue in color, shining in the light. With hesitance, Iron gave the shard to the head shadow pony.

"Pleasure doing business with you." Black smiled.

"Now, all of you leave." Mist ordered.

"Actually... I think I'll have my shadow ponies stay here for a while..." Black chuckled darkly.

"What?!" Mist gasped. "But you promised-"

"That the shadow ponies would leave your ponies alone. I didn't say that they would leave Canterlot." Black elaborated. "As of now, Canterlot is now occupied and a part of the new world order for the foreseeable future."

"You son of a-GAH!" Blue was about to attack, before being knocked down by a blast of dark magic from a shadow pony.

"Blue!" Mist gasped.

"I wouldn't do that." Black smirked. "I promised that they would leave you alone... but if you happen to get in their way, I can't guarantee your safety. Good day."

The screen vanished, as the shadow ponies left.

"Are you alright, Blue?!" Mist fretted.

"Yeah, that freak got you good." Iron helped Blue up to his hooves.

"I'll be fine." Blue grunted, as he glared at where Red's projection stood. "But just who is that guy?!"

"I don't know." Mist frowned. "But I got the strangest feeling that he... knew me."

"Know you?" Blue frowned. "That whackjob?"

"And I don't know why, but it feels like I should know him too." Mist frowned.

"With respect, I think you'd recall seeing a pony like that before." Iron declared.

"And yet, there's something... familiar about him." Mist frowned. "And his voice... I feel like I've heard it before... a long time ago..."

"It doesn't matter anyway." Blue frowned. "Whoever that lunatic is, he's holding all the cards. We're pretty much done for."

"Don't say that, Blue." Mist urged. "Celestia once told me whenever there is evil, good will rise to defeat it. We just have to hang on until then."

"Yeah, well, I'm not holding my breath." Blue shrugged.

"If I may say, you're taking this quite well, your majesty." Iron declared.

"Thank you, Captain." Mist nodded. "For now, let's sure up the castle walls, and have the Guards spread word to the citizens to stay in their homes and off the street."

"Yes, your highness." Iron bowed.

The second Iron left, Mist turned to Blue for comfort.

"Oh Blue, I'm so worried!" She cried.

"Wait, what's all this?" Blue asked. "A second ago-"

"A second ago, Iron was in the room." Mist declared. "I had to put up a tough front for his sake. But now..."

Mist held Blue tightly, weeping unashamedly into his mane.

"There, there." Blue stroked her mane. "Just let it all out."

"What if Red Eclipse does win?" Mist sniffed. "What if we have to raise the foal under his rule? I can't imagine what the poor thing would have to suffer through..."

"Just try not to think about it." Blue told her. "Maybe somepony will manage to take down Red Eclipse, and things will go back to normal. We can always hope, right?"

"...Right." Mist nodded. "Celestia once said that as long as hope exists, evil can never truly win."

"Pretty smart mare, isn't she?" Blue chuckled.

That night, Blue slept in the castle with Mist. They held each other tightly as they lay in bed, the door locked and barricaded (just in case). Neither one of them got much sleep, though. The events of the day and their implications nagging at their minds.

The next morning, they awoke to find the shadow ponies were still running roughshod over Canterlot, victimizing any pony foolish enough to come outside.

"This is just terrible..." Mist sighed. "There must be something we can do."

"If there is, I can't see it." Blue frowned.

At that moment, they heard a strange grunting sound over by the wall. As they watched, a hoof reached over it, and Luxury pulled himself up.

"Luxury?!" Blue and Mist frowned.

"Hey guys." Luxury said breathlessly. "A little help?"

Blue flew over and helped Luxury into the castle.

"What the buck were you doing out there?!" Blue yelled. "Did you miss the shadow ponies floating around?"

"I had to come." Luxury declared. "I needed to know what was going on. ...Where are the others? Where's Constell?"

"Captured." Mist declared. "This stallion named Red Eclipse has attacked the conference in the Empire and taken all the royals imprisoners."

"No..." Luxury gasped.

"And that isn't even the worst of it." Blue added. "He's gathering the pieces of some uber-magic trinket, and planning to take over Equestria."

"I don't understand." Luxury shook his head. "How did all this happen?"

"We just don't know." Mist sighed.

"Let's get you some food, pal." Blue sighed. "You look starved."

After eating, Luxury chose to stay at the castle, hoping for news regarding Constell. Alas, none of them were expecting anything. Things were really looking bad.

Iron had wasted no time in gathering his family and taking them to the Guard's barracks, where they would be safer (he hoped).

"This is awful." Gusty sighed. "What can we do?"

"I don't know." Iron sighed. "But it's not just us we should be worried about. Red Eclipse has most of the royal family trapped in the Crystal Empire. Not to mention Caboose... I can't imagine what he's done to the poor guy..."

"What about Hurricane?" Gauntlet frowned. "If that jerk's hurt her, I'll-"

"An admirable sentiment, my boy." Iron sighed. "But I've seen what Red Eclipse is capable of. I doubt anypony can stand up to him..."

"Is there really no hope?" Gusty asked.

"There's always hope." Iron declared. "We still have one Princess left. Hopefully, it'll be enough..."

One day, while Blue, Mist and Luxury waited in the castle, something strange occurred. Suddenly, a beacon, flashing from the north, lit up the sky.

"What is that?" Blue peered. "It looks like it's coming from the Crystal Empire."

"It is!" Mist smiled. "Don't you see? The others must've sent it, to give us hope!" She turned to Iron Hooves. "Captain, round up the Royal Guard who are able to fight! We're taking our home back!"

"Yes, your highness!" Iron saluted.

"Count me in!" Luxury, who had joined them earlier, smiled. "I'm coming, Constell!"

The Royal Guard renewed their fight against the shadow ponies. The citizens of Canterlot, inspired by their second wind, joined in the fight, driving the shadows away. As powerful as the shadows were, they found themselves overwhelmed by the united front. Blasts of magic and thrown objects dissipated them faster than they could reform.

Iron rammed one of them as hard as he could, knocking it into its fellows.

"Swallow that, you sons of mules!" Iron yelled.

"This is our city!" Donut Joe roared, knocking some of them down with a donut cart. "And you're not welcome here!"

"Go back to where you came from, monsters!" Fancypants added.

Realising they had lost their advantage, the shadow ponies retreated. The Guards and citizens cheered as one, celebrating their victory.

'Its not over yet.' Mist thought, as she stood upon the balcony, addressing the crowd.

"Attention, everypony!" She called. "You have all fought well, but this fight is not done yet. The true enemy lies in the Crystal Empire. His name is Red Eclipse, and he must be stopped. Those of you who feel up to the challenge may join us as we march to save Equestria. Who is with us!"

Half the citizens (including Joe and Fancypants) yelled in the affirmative.

'Wow.' Blue smiled, impressed by Mist's leadership skills. 'You are incredible, babe.'

"Now, on to the Crystal Empire!" Mist declared.

"Wait, are you sure you should come?" Blue asked. "I mean, you're-"

"Don't even think about it." Mist glared at him. "Red Eclipse held my family prisoner, and I want to help bring him down. So don't even try to stop me. Got it?"

"...Yes, dear." Blue said, defeated.

"Good." Mist smiled. "Now, let's head out. There's no time to lose!"

"Count me in on that action!" Luxury smiled.

As they made their way to the Crystal Empire, the Canterlot forces were joined by others from Ponyville, the Changeling territory, and more.

"Well, well." Mist smiled as they intersected. "Would I be right in thinking we're all heading in the same direction?"

"Yes you would, my dear." Wizel nodded.

"We're going to take the fight to Red Eclipse." Sazh grinned. "He'll pay for kidnapping our King and Queen. We're gonna go over there and punch him right in the face!"

"Sounds like a plan." Blue smiled.

"Let's go kick some flank!" Rainbow Dash cheered.

"Yeah!" Big Guns cheered.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Rarity asked.

"We're just... some concerned citizens." Gregory declared. "We have friends up north that we want to help, the same as you."

"Well, the more, the merrier, Ah say." Applejack nodded.

"And the more of us there are, the better chance we have." Carapace added.

"We sure are." Mist nodded.

As they marched toward the Crystal Empire, Mist felt like she was ready for anything. But then...

The battle was frenzied, the united forces against the shadow ponies. Due to her pregnant frame, Mist didn't do much actual fighting, choosing to stay close to Blue. Things took a turn for the worst when Twitch was transformed into a towering monster. When he injured Blue, Mist's heart sank. For one terrible moment, it seemed like she had lost her fiancé, and she was overwhelmed with guilt, having been the one who led him there in the first place.

"Blue, are you okay?!" She rushed to his side, as the others continued fighting Twitch.

"I'm fine..." Blue groaned. "Just a scratch..."

"I'm sorry, Blue." Mist sniffed. "I shouldn't have come here. I shouldn't have brought you with me..."

"It's okay." Blue smiled. "You did what you had to do. You did your duty as a Princess. I'm proud of you."

"Oh, Blue..." Mist smiled, embracing him. "What would I do without you?"

"Don't even think like that." Blue admonished her. "I'll always be there for you. Nothing's going to change that. Especially not some twenty-foot tall monster pony..."

"You really do say the sweetest things." Mist smiled.

It seemed like the battle would never end, but fortunately, it did, when all the shadow ponies disappeared and Twitch (who was eventually taken down and bounded) reverted back to normal and was chased by the Napoleons. It seemed like everything was going to be okay... until when she reunited with her family and Black (or to her, Red Eclipse) had tried to attack Shine and the others one last time, only to get put down by Caboose.

It was then that Mist was faced with the awful truth, as Black laid there dying... that "Red Eclipse" was really her unknown uncle, Black Knight Paladin. As the reunited royal family made their way back to Canterlot, Mist was silent.

"What a terrible experience." Blueblood sighed.

Celestia was patching up Shine.

"I'm surprised you were able to take such a beating." She remarked. "Even with my magic..."

"I'd endure any amount of pain to protect my family." Shine smiled, before frowning. "Even from other members of my family..."

"Nice family tree, by the way." Blue joked. "Right, Mist?"

Mist didn't answer. She was staring off into the distance.

'This can't be good...' Blue frowned.

After they returned to Canterlot, Blue made to check on the bar, ensuring that it wasn't too badly damaged, while still worried about Mist.

The following evening, Blue walked into Mist's room, finding her laying on her bed, rubbing her bump fretfully.

"Hey, Mist." Blue smiled, joining her on the bed. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine." Mist said dully.

"You don't sound fine." Blue frowned. "...Look, the others told me about who Red Eclipse really was."

"You mean that he was my uncle?" Mist said angrily. "An uncle nopony told me or Shine about? An uncle who tried to take over Equestria?"

"...Yes." Blue nodded.

"I don't want to talk about it." Mist declared.

"But you need to." Blue smiled. "And whenever you're ready, I'll be up for listening."

For a few moments, Mist was silent. Then...

"I knew there was something familiar about him." She declared. "I thought maybe he was just somepony I'd met a long time ago. I never imagined he'd be family..."

"And a black sheep of the family at that." Blue noted.

"That's putting it mildly." Mist remarked. "I heard Shine and Big Red talk about burying him back home, right next to dad. It just... doesn't feel right. After everything he did, just putting him in the same plot as dad just feels... wrong. The fact that my brother is actually sad about him being dead is what astounds me. That stallion almost killed his daughter, and my niece! And Big Red seems to act like he was the same stallion he knew back as a kid. They both act like he was some old friend who died…." Mist sighs heavily, "I just don't understand why they are bothering with giving him a proper burial."

"I am not sure." Blue admitted, "But maybe Shine is doing it because it would be what your father wanted."

"Yeah, I guess..." Mist sighed, "I don't know if I even want to go to the burial."

"I would understand that." Blue nodded. "If it were me, I wouldn't go."

"I know." Mist sighed. "But... Black was still family, even if he was a monster. And I feel like there was something good about him. Some decency that got burned away over the years yet still had something in him that was still... pure. I can't explain it."

"Whatever you choose to do, I'll be right there with you." Blue kissed her on the cheek.

"Thanks, Blue." Mist smiled. "I'll really need to think on this..."

"'Course you do." Blue snuggled with her. "You take all the time you need..."

That night, while sleeping, Mist began to have a peculiar dream...

It was back when she was but a baby foal. It was shortly after their parents had passed and they were living with Big Red. She was just laying there in her crib…when she heard a window open. Her currently 'foal-like' mind was beginning to grow afraid, and she began whimpering. However, two red hooves suddenly reached in and picked her upi.

At first, she thought it was Big Red, but then she noticed how different it felt. It was hard to describe, but it seemed like his hooves were different, and when she looked up, instead of Big Red's green eyes... she only saw one golden eye. She felt frightened again... only for the owner of the golden eye to shush in her ears.

"There, there, little one." The voice whispered. "I am not going to hurt you. The last thing I want to do is hurt you…"

Mist's fears seem to dissipated for the moment, the voice appearing to be gentle.

"You probably don't know me…and after what I did to your papa, I wouldn't blame you." The voice leaned closer, to reveal his red muzzle. "But I know you…because I happen to be someone very close to your papa... I'm your uncle... Black Knight."

The foal Mist only looked at him oddly.

"Yeah…I bet by tomorrow, you probably won't remember me." Black sighed... before giving a small smile. "But I had to see you and Shine. See what beautiful children that my brother had made... and I was not disappointed..."

The foal Mist shifted slightly in his hooves.

"I'm not gonna lie to you, kiddo." Black sighed. "I've done some bad things, and one day, you're probably going to find out what those bad things are. You're probably gonna end up thinking I'm some kind of monster, and I won't blame you. Just remember that I never stopped caring about you or her brother or Big Red or anyone else... In fact, you're the reason I did all that, so you could have a better future."

The foal Mist had a confused look on her face.

"Just relax, little lady." Black gently rocked her. "You just get some nice sleepytime..."

The gentle swaying motion quickly lulled Mist off to sleep. Moments later, Big Red entered the room.

"Holy bu-" He started to curse, only to get his mouth covered by a hoof.

"Shh... you'll wake her..." Black whispered...

Things started to fade out after that. But the memory had laid in the back of Mist's subconscious for years, being stirred when she had heard his voice. It made her feel like there was more to him than the xenophobic, power-hungry monster he had become. The next morning, Mist decided that she would indeed go to see Black's grave.

"I'm going to do it." She told Blue.

"If that's what you want." Blue nodded. "And I'll be right there with you."

"You don't have to-" Mist started.

"Sure I do." Blue nodded. "I'm your fiancé, right? Your family is my family."

"I guess you're right." Mist smiled. "You really are the best, Blue."

"Don't I know it?" Blue joked.

Well over a week later, over in the homestead, she stood alongside Blue, talking to Black's headstone.

"I'm not sure what to say." She admitted. "You were a monster, but from what I've heard, you had the best interests of Equestria in mind. If only you hadn't been so extreme in your views, things might have turned out differently. Maybe I could have known my uncle, and you your niece. But at least now, you're at peace." She sniffed, tears coming to her eyes. "Goodbye... uncle."

"Nice speech, Mist." Blue declared.

"Thanks." Mist wiped her eyes.

As Mist and Blue walked away from Black's grave, Mist caught a glimpse of a brief flash of light out of the corner of her eye.

"What the-?" She turned to look back, but everything around the place was the same.

"What's up, Mist?" Blue asked.

"It's... nothing." Mist admitted. "Darn watery eyes got me seeing things..."

"Come on." Blue put a hoof around her. "Let's go home."

"Gladly." Mist nuzzled against her fiancé.

"You're one heck of a mare, you know." Blue admitted. "Not just any pony could make peace with a pony like that."

"I could hate him, but what would that accomplish?" Mist declared. "Besides, it's over. Black Knight Paladin has left this world, and all that's left are memories, few as they are."

"I just hope you don't have any other long-lost relatives." Blue declared. "Our own foal's gonna have a hard enough time with the family tree as it is..."

"I'm sure it will." Mist nodded, leaning against Blue. "But at least we'll be there to help it."

"We sure will." Blue smiled. "Because that's what family does."

The two soon-to-be parents headed for the train station, looking to put the whole harrowing experience behind them.