• Published 17th May 2012
  • 884 Views, 0 Comments

Beyond Our Harmony - Hyperspace Nomad



This the story of Luna leading up to the Nightmare Moon incident. But something is not quite right..

  • ...
 0
 884

Chapter 1: Shifting Honesty

Authors note: Well the next Chapter is finally finished maybe later that I had hoped. Hopefully the story will get more interesting as it gets up to speed.


LOCATION: UNKNOWN
/COORDINATES/
S:???/???/???,
T:???/???/???
C:??/??/??
DOMINION: UNKNOWN
DATE: UNKNOWN
LOCAL TIME: UNKNOWN

There was a mare. Her name was Crystal Clear. She had just found herself waking up in Luna's living chambers after being knocked unconscious by the Royal Canterlot Voice. Upon facing Luna for the second time, the Princess of the Night attempted to apologize to the mare and welcomed her with confections. However, years of built up frustration in Crystal Clear was Finally released. Crystal Clear's now bitter reception hurt Luna on a personal level, driving her to enflame the conflict with her own frustrated shouting.

"You... yooou.. DO YOU HAVE ANY BUCKING IDEA WHAT I HAVE TO GO THROUGH EVERY NIGHT?!?!?! MAYBE WHAT YOU SAID COULD BE PINNED ON MY SISTER, BUT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF PONIES PILING ALL THE BLAME ON THE PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT FOR THEIR TROUBLES! I WORK AND WORK TO MANGE BOTH MY DUTIES AND THE PROBLEMS THAT MY SISTER IS TOO INCOMPETENT TO SOLVE! BUT DOES ANYONE THANK ME FOR WHAT I DO?!?!? NO!!!! THEY CONTINUE TO CUDDLE UP TO MY SISTER AND HER PRETTY WORDS!!! I TAKE MY TIME TO TRY BEING KIND TO YOU AFTER WHAT HAPPENED; I EVEN WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU THE POSITION OF SCRIBE. YOU SEEMED UNHAPPY AND I TRIED TO HELP BUT I CAN SEE NOW THAT YOU ARE SIMPLY AN UNGRATEFUL WHELP LIKE THE REST OF THEM! LEAVE MY CHAMBER AND NEVER RETURN TO ASK SOMETHING OF ME EVER AGAIN!!!"
Crystal Clear, having the last of her hopes torn away, slowly faced away from Luna, feeling a combination of frustration and sorrowful failure. She then briskly proceeded out of the Caste with her Father, never to be seen again by the Princess of the Night.
For Luna, it was just another ungrateful subject to be swept clear from her mind with a days rest. She looked back to the tea and muffins that she had so painstakingly created and quickly ejected them over the side of her balcony in anger.
"Its no use trying to come to terms with these ponies. All I have now is myself." Luna muttered to herself coldly
Luna gave herself a quick glance in her mirror as she returned to her court. Oh did her jet black coat look lovely at this hour.....

LOCATION: UNKNOWN
/COORDINATES/
S:???/???/???,
T:???/???/???
C:??/??/??
DOMINION: UNKNOWN
DATE: UNKNOWN:OFFSET+1
LOCAL TIME: 2:24 PM

Luna abruptly awoke from her daytime rest. She was confused. What had happened last night? Was she just now dreaming?

After not being able to return to sleep, she decided to perhaps prepare some tea. However, as she opened a cabinet to fetch a cup, she noticed that two cups out of her six cup set where missing. She paused, what did she do with the cups? It felt like her memories were conflicting each other. She seemed have two sets of memories of what appeared to be the same night. She remembered arguing with a Miss Crystal Clear but what happen afterward was now a blur.
"Forget it, I just need some tea" Luna thought dismissingly

She took the time to make another small batch of tea and began to approach the table on her balcony. What she found there rekindled her interest in the events of the previous night. There lay her two missing cups, maybe slightly stained with tea, sitting on either side of the table. Accompanying the cups were two glass plates with traces of muffin crumbs.

Wait.... did she not toss all those off the balcony? Luna prodded her mind with great intensity to understand this discrepancy and retraced her steps.

Returning to court....

Looking at the mirror....

The mirror....

Luna peered into the mirror to see a dark blue Alicorn mare staring back.

But she remembered her coat was a deep midnight black?

It was with that thought she realized that she had just recently woke from a dream. With this revelation, all of her true memories of the night before came flooding back.

She had met Crystal Clear. They had an arguement. However, it was then that Crystal stayed with her and in the end Luna found out how much they had in common over tea and muffins. As the memories came, Luna could not help but begin to feel a warm welcoming feeling enveloping her . Maybe she would no longer feel so alone....

She took her small batch of tea and sat at the table on the balcony to look out onto Canterlot .

Canterlot was the Equestrian capitol city located in the center of the Equestrian valley within the Everfree forrest. From this central position, the Capitol could serve as a major trading hub and crossroads for all of Equestria proper.

Luna could see cloudsdale over the treetops to the northeast and the outpost of Manehatten to the west. She could not help herself but to take in the view while thinking about the now very real possibility of finally improving her public outlook with the help of her new scribe.

"Well I should not try to let my hopes soar too far, but it has been far too long!" Luna thought to herself

"Oh the fun we could have! We could go for a picnic, research all sorts of interesting magic, or play pranks on my sister together.... No, wait, I cannot be thinking of such things now! Miss Clear is now my Royal assistant and I must utilize her assistance for the good of Equestria! But... that does not mean we cannot still be friends does it?" Luna finished her soft-spoken monologue

For the good of Equestria.... what had Equestria ever done for her? She felt like she had given up her life for a nation that only shunned her and her nights in return…..

Perhaps if she and her new assistant where expediant, she could go on a vacation in a week or two....

As she finished her tea on this thought, she felt prepared to return to bed.

As Luna laid down to rest again, she could only think inviting thoughts of meeting her new assistant again.

LOCATION: UNKNOWN
/COORDINATES/
S:???/???/???,
T:???/???/???
C:??/??/??
DOMINION: UNKNOWN
DATE: UNKNOWN:OFFSET+1
LOCAL TIME: 6:05 PM

Crystal Clear was not exactly sure what to think of it. She was now going to be the personal scribe and assisant of the Princess of the Night. Her friends and parents were ecstatic and she actually got a day to herself for the first time in years. Of course she did need to return to bed for a few hours at the will of her parents to be well rested for the long night, but it had been a good day for her nonetheless. Maybe even too good, she thought. She was able to attend a play at the West Canterlot Threater. She was able to spent time with some old friends even if they mostly wanted to talk about her new job. She was even able to take her time picking out a fine dress for her upcoming occasion.

It was one thing she had in common with the rest of Canterlot society. She always wanted to project a good appearance. At the same time however, she had always been a mare that wished to stand out from the crowd in some way.

"Oh deary, this one is fantastic!" said Crystal's mother, examining a rather pompous periwinke gown that would not look out of place at a Canterlot ball.

"It definitly looks telling of one’s importance, and it even matches your mane!" Proclaimed Crystals Father.

"Speaking of which, it is high time we remedied that ruffled mane of yours as well. Do you not agree dear Crystal?"

Perhaps her mane did need some attention, but Crystal dismissingly thought that the gown just did not define how she felt about her current state of being. While the dress was well made and regal, it still seemed to convey submission to establishment. Crystal was looking for a fashion statement that would not only make her feel empowered to make her own choices for once but to also convey to Luna that hopefully she would be different from the usual company of the Princess of the Night.

She could only only begin to slightly blush in glee as she contemplated what she would wear.

Something daring....

Something more commanding....

Something perhaps more masculine then what Mares would usually wear?

This thought at first was rather embarrassing to Crystal but as she thought about it seemed more and more alurring. Would she really consider something bordering cross-dressing? Maybe not that far, but something that was not a mares dress or gown would be interesting. When wearing cloths, Mares in Equestrian high society virtually always wore some type of feminine dress or gown. It felt almost scandalous and defiant to deviate from this trend; hopefully something Luna could maybe appreciate.

This was maybe the first opportunity for Crystal to leave the sheltered lifestyle set by her parents and try something new. Crystal quickly pushed her mind forward with her choice. Her idea made her feel as free as a Pegasus and everypony else be damned, she was going to do it!

While her parents were distracted, trying to find a different outfit, Crystal trotted over to the end of the shop that displayed various coats in all shapes and sizes. She remembered seeing some of the Guard officers sometimes wear coats to display their status, so a coat might do the Royal assistant some justice.

Crystal blushed slightly again, it felt like an adventure. She then shook her head lightly, no more need to daydream.

Crystal quickly snapped back into focus and begun to scan the coats on the rack.

There were light sporting coats, thick shaved fur coats, business wear, as well as feminine coats designed for mares in a rainbow of colors.

However one unique coat in particular caught her interest.

It was a silky and very dark green coat with ornate gold trim. The material would shine neon blue in the light, roughly matching Crystals mane. The coat looked like it would cover the entire length of her body and it had sleeves for all four of her legs. The gold trimming lined both the back edge of the coat and all of the sleeves with a pattern of pixelated diagonal squares.

Full body coverage was odd for normal pony fashion but it at the same time could be useful for long winter nights. Upon slipping on the coat with her telekinesis and looking in a mirror, Crystal noticed that this coat balanced the appearance of being a mare with being a unique individual fairly well.

"Interesting Choice madam, the pony that sold this coat to me was not quite satisfied with the design. She claimed that she might have had a rebellious flare in her at one time but quickly regretted it and asked me it I could get her any money for it. She was a good friend and patron so I could not truly refuse her wish. I have never seen it on anypony. I guess it does not look too bad but such a style is somewhat strange for canterlot. If what your parents say is true and you are preparing for an important position, would you possible consider these outfits over here?" The keeper of the clothing stop gestured over to a different batch of more conventional coats” The owner of the dress shop spoke with a hint of disapproval in him voice.
"I think I will keep this one sir" Crystal replied beginning to return to her parents who were still distracted by dresses.
....

"Oh I am sure she will appreciate this one dear" Said Crystal's mother

"Ahh yes even more fitting than the last" Laudan Clear replied confidently

"Oh sweetie you must see this dre..." Crystal's mother started to say as she turned around to face Crystal, now wearing the new coat.

As both parents examined Crystal's new clothing they could not help but begin to snicker. This snicker then became joking laughter

"Oh my dear Crystal, it warms my heart to know that you have such an interesting since of humor!" Laudan clear said once his laughter reseeded.

" Mother, father, I chose this coat as my new attire." Crystal said in a calm but stern manner

"Deary, you simply cannot be seen in court with THAT on. You look like some sort of gypspony or something, not a pony of dignified status!" Crystal's mother said with some disappointment

"Well I think it is something to help me distinguish myself from other ponies and Luna may like it. Mother, father, you both said I could pick out any outfit I desire, partially in celebration of my achievement. Please give me this one opportunity to act for myself like a 'pony of dignified status'.” At this point Crystal was beginning to strain to hold back her more rebellious attitude buried under years of toil for a goal that was not really her own.

Laudan let out a sigh : "If this is what you truly wish and you believe it will improve your appearance then so be it, we will get you this coat. But let it be known now that I will not tolerate you disgracing the family name if you should fail us!"

"Laudan... Dear... please reconsider I wish for Crystal succeed too but.." Crystal's mother interjected before being cut off.

"As much as I do not like that coat, Crystal has done well so far and she correct. She cannot be in such an important government position with us getting in her way. Maybe Luna will like the coat, strange and absurd as she may be at times." Crystal father replied somewhat reluctantly.

SOON....

"Come again and good luck!" The shopkeeper called out as the the family left from the counter.
The Clear family threesome proceeded to check out the coat and leave the shop. Crystal continued to put on a face of nervous anticipation. It was nearly time for her to make her way to the castle to meet with Luna on professional terms for the first time. Canterlot was in dimming twilight as the sun began to slide under the tree line. The view did not look too bad from Canterlots main street leading directly to the palace gates. Many ponies were returning to their homes at about this time, ready to retire to bed. For Crystal she would now need to alter her sleep cycle to raise at this time. Inconvenient, but hopefully worth it.

MEANWHILE.....

Luna sat in the castle's main dining hall after finishing the task of calling forth the night, it was now time for dinner... or breakfast in her case. It really did not matter what she called it, she was just hungry. Celestia's staff informed Luna that her sister would be slightly late to dinner tonight. Because of this, the dishes were on the dining table before the Princess of the Sun had Arrived. Just before Luna was able to begin eating, the main door to the dining hall opened to reveal Luna's older sister.

"Good evening Luna, have you slept well today?" Celestia asked in a caring and pleasant tone

"Yes sister, everything was fine today. Has your day been well?" Luna replied lacking some enthusiasm.

At this point in their lives, the royal pony sisters were not on the best of terms. Celestia was concerned for her sister. To her , Luna seemed unhappy and uneasy despite Celestia's best efforts to try cheering Luna up. At first she felt confident that she could put Luna at ease and warm her heart again. She had always been able to do this for every other pony. All a pony needed was to experience the magic that a little bit of friendship could bring, but Luna ended up being different. Luna had within her an essence of thinking that worried Celestia greatly. Luna seemed to have a much stronger sense of personal desire burning within her than other ponies. Celestia believed that feelings of desire and ambition like Luna's were dangerous thinking for Equestria. Most ponies that had any true ambition ended up causing more harm than good. Some became defiant of society while others would attempt to advance an agenda at the expense of their peers. Because of this, many ponies that showed signs of this behavior had to be "suppressed”. Luna was beyond normal means of treatment but Celestia did not wish to take more intensive measures on her own sister. She had to save Luna from the disappointment and cold heartedness that could result from it. As Equestria's eldest living citizen, Celestia felt that she had a responsibility to maintain harmony in her land and this included her sister .

Luna on the other hand did not share her sisters views.

Celestia always tried to put on a appearence of wisdom and composure to everypony around her. Luna believed this was a way of instilling hope that Celestia, as a ruler that was now hundreds of years old, would have the knowledge and wisdom to overcome any challenge. While Celestia was a sharp pony by any standard, she was not infallible. Luna had observed that maybe her sister had let her seniority go to her head somewhat. Celestia would nag on her often about how to handle things better (mostly socializing with other ponies, something Luna was not the best at), while asking Luna to do things for her supposedly to help Luna "grow as a leader and a pony". Luna knew that could not be farther from the truth. Celestia would ask things of Luna of which she could not do herself. Luna always ended up with a lot more work because of this. Luna even wondered if Celestia was holding her back on purpose to prevent her from taking the spotlight. As irritating as her sister could be, Luna never liked seeing her sister's supposedly legendary composure break down and her confidence shattered by any task too difficult. Luna as the better problem solver still desired for more recognition even if it would tear into her sisters image of infallible wisdom and knowledge.

Both sisters for a few minutes after would eat in silence until Celestia finally spoke. "So how did you meeting go last night with the candidates for your assistant position?"

Luna looked up from her meal "It went well actually. I have found a suitable assistant for my duties. She will be arriving soon."

Celestia felt a mixture of hope and curiosity at the thought that Luna had found somepony to work with so quickly. Perhaps things where beginning to change for the better?

"That is wonderful news. Would it be acceptable with you to know the name of this pony? I would love to meet her." Celestia said calmly

Luna thought about her sister's request for a moment. On one hoof, letting her know some things about Crystal may keep her nosy sister at bay. However, Celestia did not need to be ruining any of her sister's potential plans now did she?

"She is the youngest daughter of the Clear Family, well read in all manners of Equestrian government I hear." Luna replied with a bit more confidence.

Celestia put on a soft smile. The Clear family was filled with many ponies with their hooves planted firmly on the ground. They had some ambitions to boost their image to the other families of Canterlot but nothing that was too far-fetched from their peers. It looked like Luna's new assistant would be a fine influence on her. Maybe they could even become friends.

"Oh Luna I believe you will not be disappointed."

Luna was beginning to slightly warm up to her sister at this point.

"So do I sister, so do I. However, I also believe the time has come to meet with Ms. Clear. I must go now Tia, but I will tell you how everything has worked out at dawn." Luna raised from her seat and began walking to the throne room.

"Good night sister. Thank you for bringing this mare to my attention." Luna said this with some conviction.

"Good night and good wishes to you Luna, I look forward to speaking with you tomorrow"

SHORTLY AFTER....

Luna was cantering down one of castle Canterlot's west wing hallways overlooking the edge of the small Everfree plateau. Luna could see her moon from here illuminated all of the lower Everfree forest. It was just a hallway, but it's scenic view made it one of Luna's favorite places in the Castle. It was also the fastest route to the throne room, passing through the hall of harmony. Luna wondered as she stayed in transit, if the Castle's designer intended for this route to be so interesting...
It was at about this time that Luna had reached the hall of Harmony, the large chamber which now housed the six Elements of Harmony upon an alter at the far end of the hall.

Despite being used by the princesses several times in their battle with the Spirit of Chaos, little was actually known about the six colored stones or how they worked.

They had existed long before the appearance of the Royal Pony Sisters, and, if some ancient texts were correct, predated Discord himself. Many times over, ponies and other beings would attempt to capture them for their immense power. However, most intentions good or bad never resulted in the Elements being activated. While they only would come to bear at the most trying times in recorded history, the elements always projected a warm, comfortable aura to anypony nearby.

Luna made one quick look to the elements standing on the altar. At one point it seemed like this aura was now gone for some reason. However, Luna had more pressing matters to attend to she thought, and continued across the hall to the next hallway.

pop....

crackle....

This sound made Luna perk up and rush back into the hall to identify the source of the new noise. Nothing, however, appeared out of the ordinary within the hall.

"Must be my imagination, perhaps I really do need a vacation...." Luna thought out loud

With this she once again began walking towards the throne room maybe now a bit late.

Once she finally came through the rear doors to the throne room she saw her night court guard ready for the night, one of which then approached her.

"Good evening your majesty, it appears we now have three ponies waiting outside for your audience. These ponies are requesting a pony under the name of Crystal Clear to be formally introduced to the court as you new assistant." The guard said

Luna took a moment to compose herself before speaking. "Yes, we wish to speakth with this group posthaste! Allow entry of these subjects right away!"

"At once your highness!"

It was then the two guards closest to either door began opening them to reveal Crystal Clear and her parents slowly moving forward. Luna could easily see Crystal's blue mane and neon coat, but what in the moons name was she wearing? It was some kind of coat, but nothing like Luna had seen before. Still it gave Crystal a unique appearance and the coloring was nice.

"It is good to speakth with thou again Miss Crystal Clear" Even though Luna was not fond of it, she kept up the Royal Canterlot Voice at least until Crystal and herself could speak in private later.

Laudan Crystal then spoke first. "The Clear Family is deeply honored to have its youngest daughter endeavor in this prestigious position of government you highness!"

Crystal's mother Clenin Clear then proceeded to speak "Oh you majesty! We know at heart that you will not be displeased with Crystal's abilities."

"Crystal Clear hath shown us the full extent of her merits as of yesterday. We did not relegate anything of thy daughter to speculation! But there can be time for pleasantries much thereafter. Miss Clear, are thou prepared to take the oath of Royal serivce and Loyalty?" Luna replied with energy

"Yes Princess Luna..." Crystal said with confidence

"Then thou willth now say as this guard speaks." Luna then motioned for a nearby night guard to come forth to begin speaking the oath for Crystal to recite.

I Crystal Clear...

As born to Equestria as my family and friends hath lived....

Do take thy oath of service to the great courts of the guardians of the skies....

To go about my days and trials upholding the virtues of honesty, loyalty, kindness, generosity, and laughter.....

At the side of my sovereign...

For the good of all ponies

Earth , pegasus and Unicorn....

Now and forever more....

Crystal said her oath with passion, maybe not necessarily for Equestria itself, but for the mare that listened to and understood her true desires.

.........

Crack

It was at this time, that a crack had formed of the orange stone found within the hall of Harmony