• Published 23rd Jun 2015
  • 494 Views, 1 Comments

The Fall of Starswirl the Bearded - Kinogirl



After the passing of Queen Faust, and with the Royal Princesses unready to fill their mother's shoes, the old mage Starswirl the Bearded is elected to stand in for them. However, magic meddling leads to some unforeseen consequences...

  • ...
0
 1
 494

Crystal Empire

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the property of Hasbro and all characters credited to Lauren Faust and the design team at DHX Studios


Celestia, Luna, Sombra and Lightning Shield reached the floor of the vast frozen plain and looked out toward the Crystal Empire. It sparkled as the sun rose, but it looked bare without the shimmer of purple, green and blue in the air. As the ponies crossed the tundra to the crystal arch entrance of the Empire Celestia prepared their reasons for entering in her mind, but there were no guards on the gate.

The party entered cautiously, the two Canterlot guards on alert to any danger that might befall the princesses, but the Empire seemed devoid of ponies.

“What should we do Sister?” Luna asked in a whisper, speaking any louder seemed wrong in the unnatural silence.

“We make our way to the Palace to announce our presence.” Celestia replied. “Then we continue on to the Northern Mountains.”

“Very well.” Luna said.

The four ponies continued on their way along the wide main avenue toward the tall, delicate looking palace. Sombra felt a shiver through his body, and an odd feeling he had been in the shadow of this jagged castle, it had a wonderful dark light in the moonlight. The crystals were singing…

Lightning nudged Sombra with his shoulder. Sombra blinked and looked at Lightning Shield with a frown.

“You were away with the breezies.” Lighting whispered.

Sombra cleared his throat, straightened up and concentrated on protecting his princess. Yet, the crystals sang…

They were nearing the palace when Sombra turned his head quickly to the left as if he’d heard something. He leapt behind a wall to investigate. There was a small yelp and a small pegasus filly scrambled out from behind the wall. Sombra followed her, frowning slightly.

She wasn’t looking where she was going and ran straight into Celestia’s front legs. She fell on her back and looked up at the alicorn in fear. Celestia smiled and lowered her head nearer to the filly.

“Hello my dear, can you tell me where everypony has gone?” She asked.

The filly shook her head, her yellow, pink and purple mane falling into her purple eyes.

“What is your name?” Celestia asked kindly.

“Mi Amore Cadenza.” The filly whispered.

“The princess?” Luna asked, coming to stand at her sister’s side.

The filly didn’t answer.

“Why are you out here alone?” Celestia asked. “Where are the other ponies?”

The filly shook her head.

“There’s no need to fear us child. I am Princess Celestia and this is my sister, Princess Luna.” Celestia said gently.

The filly gasped and jumped to her feet, looking up at the two alicorns with their flowing manes. She’d heard of them, the princesses of Equestria, the neighbours of the Crystal Empire who controlled the day and night. She was in awe for a moment, her mother never allowed her to meet other royals.

“Are you really from Equestria?” Mi Amore asked.

“Yes.” Celestia confirmed with a nod.

“Are you having trouble there too?”

“We are. That’s why we’ve travelled here, we’re following the chaos in the hope of tracking down the one responsible.” Celestia explained.

“Oh, well that would help a lot. Everypony else is hiding out in the palace basements.” The filly said, pointing to the palace with a light pink hoof. “They think it’s safer.”

“Why are you not with them?” Luna asked.

“Every building in the empire has turned into rock candy and all the leaves of the crystal berry bushes are taffy, this is not an opportunity I’m about to pass up.” Mi Amore explained.

The filly walked up to the nearest wall and lined up her hind legs before bucking the wall. There was a loud crack and a chunk of pink crystal fell away. Mi Amore turned around and bit into it.

“Mmm raspberry.” She said as she crunched the candy. “Want some?” She offered the other ponies as she held up some smaller pieces in her hoof.

“Thank you.” Princess Celestia replied as she took a piece in her magic and levitated it to her mouth.

Princess Luna and Lightning did the same, but Sombra declined. Mi Amore shrugged and tossed the last piece in the air and caught it in her mouth.

“It’s very good.” Luna observed. “However it may be prudent not to eat your kingdom.”

“I know, but it tastes so good.” The little princess said, blushing slightly. “I guess I should take you to everypony else now.”

“That would be wonderful.” Celestia said with a smile.

Mi Amore smiled in return before she trotted onto the avenue.

“It’s this way.” She said and led the older ponies to the palace.

Instead of leading them to the front entrance she led them around the side of the palace to a door near the back. Two crystal ponies stood guard outside the door. They stood to attention when they saw the party approach.

“Hello Alexandrite, hi Zircon.” Mi Amore greeted them.

“Princess?” Zircon asked. “How are you outside?”

“I needed some fresh air, but that doesn’t matter.” She said, brushing the matter aside. “I met these ponies outside, they want to help put the Crystal Empire back to order.”

“Who are you?” Zircon asked.

“I am Princess Celestia, and this is my sister Princess Luna. We come from Equestria.” Celestia replied. “As Princess Mi Amore stated, we are here to rectify the situation with the chaos.”

“I will ask the queen if she will speak with you.” Alexandrite stated before he stepped inside the door.

A minute later he returned.

“Queen Amore will see you, but your guards are to remain out here.” Alexandrite informed them.

The princesses looked at each other for a moment, Luna shrugged, for she had no objections. Celestia nodded to Luna before turning to Alexandrite.

“Very well.” She said and took a step forward.

“Your Highness, I must object.” Sombra exclaimed, placing his hoof on Luna’s shoulder. “We don’t know who is in there.”

“Fear not Knight Sombra, we will be safe.” Luna assured him with a smile.

“I feel strange here, as if something bad will happen.” Sombra insisted.

“We appreciate your concern Knight Sombra, but we are visitors in this land and so we must abide by their rules.” Celestia said.

“The Crystal Empire is not a threat to Equestria, we will be safe.” Luna added.

Sombra had no choice but to back down, although it was against his better judgement. Luna gave him a smile before she followed Celestia into the basement of the palace. It was full of crystal ponies bedded down for the time being, day and night were out of balance and that left everypony confused over when they should sleep.

The sisters were led down the centre of the room to the doors at the end. There were another two crystal guards standing either side of the double doors. Alexandrite nodded to the guards and they opened the doors. Alexandrite motioned for the princesses to go ahead.

Celestia and Luna stepped through the door into the makeshift throne room where Queen Amore was sat upon her throne. The throne to her right was empty. She remained seated as the princesses approached the foot of the throne, but she was a queen, she had no need to show deference to her visitors.

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, please excuse the absence of my husband, King Light Shine. He is attending to matters of state.” Queen Amore announced. “To what do we owe this pleasure?”

“We are following the trail of chaos north in the hope of rectifying the situation.” Celestia replied.

“We are not responsible for this trouble.” The queen said haughtily.

“This we know.” Luna said flatly. “We know who is to blame. Have you perchance seen a grey unicorn stallion pass through here?”

“When you say a grey unicorn stallion, do you speak of Starswirl the Bearded?” Queen Amore asked.

“Unfortunately yes.” Celestia answered solemnly.

“Was he not crowned yesterday? I vaguely remember our ambassador to Equestria was attending some ceremony or other.” Queen Amore said thoughtfully.

“Yes.” Celestia confirmed.

“And now he’s gone mad with power?” Queen Amore inferred.

“We are not certain what ailment has befallen our King, but we intend to find out.” Celestia replied.

“I see.” Queen Amore replied. “Starswirl has not passed through the Empire, however a scouting group discovered a new castle in the northern mountains. Beryl?”

A green tinted crystal mare stepped away from her desk in the corner and stood to attention in front of the throne.

“Would you be so kind as to fetch Chiastolite for me?” Queen Amore asked.

Beryl bowed before she disappeared through a side door.

“Chiastolite lead the scouting mission, he will be your guide.” The queen announced.

“Thank you Your Majesty.” Celestia said, bowing her head.

“We will provide food for you and your guards before you set out. It is not a good idea to venture into the mountains on an empty stomach.” Queen Amore stated.

“You are too kind.” Celestia said with a bow.

The side door opened and Beryl returned with a dark crystal stallion wearing a thick winter coat. He pulled a carrot from his pocket and bit into it as he stood at ease next to Beryl.

“Chiastolite, would you be so kind as to lead the princesses of Equestria up into the Northern Mountains and guide them to the castle.” The queen requested.

“As long as I don’t have to go too close to that place.” Chiastolite said with a shudder.

“You only have to take us to the point where we can see the castle, we can go on ahead from there ourselves.” Celestia explained.

“Ok. I’ll take you to within a mile of the castle, but I’m not going closer than that. You think the chaos is bad here? You ain’t seen nothing yet.”

“That will be fine.” Celestia assured him.

“Then it is settled, Chiastolite will guide you.” Queen Amore stated. “Beryl, would you please arrange food for the princesses and their guards and have it taken to them in the courtyard.”

Beryl bowed and disappeared through another door.

“If you would care to wait in the courtyard Your Highnesses, Beryl will not be long.”

“Thank you.” Celestia and Luna said simultaneously.

Dismissed from the presence of the queen, the princesses returned outside where Sombra and Lightning Shield were stood waiting for them. Chiastolite had followed them and Sombra gave him a wary look.

“This is Chiastolite, he will be our guide.” Celestia said, introducing him. “Chiastolite, these are our guards, Commander Lightning Shield and Knight Sombra.”

“We are going into the mountains?” Sombra asked.

“Yes.” Luna replied. “A castle has appeared there, Chiastolite will lead us there. However we are to be fed first.”

It was at this point the door was opened and Beryl led out a crystal pony wearing a chef’s hat that pulled a food cart behind her.

“This is the food Her Majesty promised you.” Beryl said, bowing to the princesses.

“Thank you.” Celestia replied.

Beryl nodded then looked around the courtyard.

“Is Princess Mi Amore out here?” She asked the guards.

“She was here a moment ago.” Alexandrite said with a frown.

“I’ll organise a search party.” Beryl said with the sigh of someone who’d done this task many times before. “She is always running off.” She said as if in explanation before entering the palace once more.


Princess Mi Amore Cadenza galloped across the tundra, the wind pulling at the fluffy purple scarf around her neck, her hoof steps almost silent on the snow. The earmuffs kept her ears warm. She held a lantern in her mouth and it cast a yellow glow on the snow in front of her. In the moonlight the Northern Mountains loomed up ahead but she didn’t slow down until she rounded an enormous rock that hid a hole in the side of the mountain. It was big enough for the filly to walk through with her full saddlebags.

Crystals that lined the tunnel walls amplified the lantern light and it let her know when she had to turn or when there was a steeper incline, although the tunnel always led upwards. It was a path inside the mountain that kept you safe from the cold and the snow. Now it kept the chaos away, not that the little princess had a problem with the chaos, but having to walk through a custard puddle wasn’t so nice.

(


“Permission to speak freely Your Highnesses?” Sombra requested.

“Always fair knight.” Luna replied.

“You should not be made to eat outside. This is a slight upon you.” He declared.

“Queen Amore is merely exercising her power of rule.” Luna replied warily before attempting a smile. “Perhaps we can find merriment in the situation by pretending we are having a picnic.”

“Yes Night Princess.” Sombra said with a bow, but he was still clearly angered by what he considered an insult to his princess.

“We should eat and set off soon.” Celestia announced. “We are close now to Starswirl. I want nothing more than to put this situation to right and we can return home.”

“And to be able to fly again.” Lightning said wistfully as he spread out his wings, remembering how it felt to soar through a summer sky.

“Yes.” Celestia agreed. “Let’s eat.”

The four ponies helped themselves to food from the cart.

“Will you join us Mr Chiastolite?” Celestia asked.

“I’m good thanks.” He said, pulling another carrot from his pocket and biting into it.

Celestia shrugged before eating her own food.

Once they had finished they set off for the Northern Mountains. Celestia worried slightly if they were ill prepared because Chiastolite was pulling a sled behind him piled up with equipment. It was too late to worry, they had to journey on through the cold and the snow in the hope of reaching Starswirl and convince him to return.


It took about half an hour but she finally reached the end of the tunnel and it came out on a flat plateaux. It used to be empty but it offered a good view of the entire world below the Northern Mountains and was a good place to have a picnic. Now a big castle took up most of the plateaux. It was a patchwork castle, a turret from here, crenulations from there, as if someone had made the castle from scraps.

She tucked her lantern inside the tunnel, the dragon didn’t mean to but he sometimes turned things into other things and she needed the lantern to get back. She checked her saddlebags were still secure on her back before trotting over to the castle. She climbed the patchwork steps up to the enormous doors. She pushed at them and a little door about her size opened up and she walked inside.

“Mr Dragon!” She called, and her voice echoed around, distorting to become deeper as it bounced around the inside of the building. “I brought you food.”

There was a flash of white light and the strange patchwork animal appeared, standing on his hind legs, one was a goat’s leg the other a lizard’s leg. He looked down at her over his grey muzzle, his yellow eyes with different sized red pupils holding her in place for a moment.

“I told you not to come back.” He said gruffly.

“Don’t be silly Mr Dragon, I’m your friend.” She said with a smile.

“No. You’re a naughty little filly who doesn’t listen to her mother.” The creature said with a scowl.

Mi Amore paused as she was taking her saddlebags off her back.

“How do you know that?” She demanded.

“Oh it’s simple Little Princess.” The creature crooned as he circled her with his long serpentine body. “No mother in her right mind would allow a little filly blank flank to come all this way up the scary mountain on her own.”

“It’s not that scary, and I don’t have to come through the snow or anything.” Mi Amore said with a shrug as she dumped her saddlebag on the floor. “Anyway, I brought you food.”

“Why?” The creature demanded.

“Because you have to eat Mr Dragon.” She said firmly.

“I’m not hungry.” The creature said as he teleported so he was standing once more.

“Yes you are.” Mi Amore replied. “It’s raining chocolate milk outside and all the chairs have turned into giant donuts. That means you’re hungry.”

“Or bored.” The creature said with a shrug.

“Well if you’re bored I could sing you the song I have to learn for the Summer Crystal Ball.” Mi Amore said, a little shyly.

The creature considered for a moment, the filly had come all this way, and she did bring him food.

“Very well.” He said and snapped his fingers and now he was sat in an auditorium while the little filly was up on a stage. “Sing away Little Princess.”

Mi Amore giggled before she cleared her throat. Then she began to sing the traditional song to tune the crystals for summer. The creature watched her in amazement, she had a good voice for such a little filly, he was certain that once she was grown her talent would be superb.

He glided up to her once she had finished, clapping his hands enthusiastically.

“What a wonderful cadence you have there little princess.” He said, pinching her cheek. “In fact I think that’s what I will call you from now on, Cadence.” He mused as he hoisted the filly into the air.

“But my name is Mi Amore Cadenza.” The princess said, frowning as she crossed her front hooves.

“But it’s such a mouthful don’t you agree Little Princess?” The creature asked as he placed her back on the floor.

The princess considered for a moment, and then nodded her head.

“Yes, Princess Cadence sounds more friendly.” She said with another nod.

After a moment she glared at the creature.

“Are you going to eat your food now Mr Dragon?” She demanded.

“Why do you call me Mr Dragon?” He asked with a frown.

“Because you got a dragon tail, and you’re big like a dragon.” Cadence explained.

“But I’m part pony too.” He said defensively. “Actually I’ve been thinking about this, what I should call myself.”

“Aren’t you already called something?” She asked.

“No. I…I changed and now I’m something new.” The creature explained. “I need a name for what I am and I was thinking perhaps, draconequus.”

“Dracone-what?” The princess asked, scrunching her nose in confusion.

“Draconequus.” The creature corrected her. “Dracon from dragon and equus from horse. It’s the closest I can get to dragon pony. What do you think?”

“It’s very hard to say.” She stated.

“But it’s a good name, yes?” The creature asked hopefully.

“Yes.” She said looking thoughtful. “But I’ll think of a name for you that I can say.”

“Fair enough.” The draconequus said with a shrug.

“And I can think of it when you’re eating your food.” The princess said sternly.

“Fine.” He said, rolling his eyes and they reappeared in the entrance hall. “What did you bring me?”

“Some crystal berries and some rock candy and some taffy. I did try to get you some cotton candy but the cook wouldn’t make it.” Cadence said apologetically.

“I can make my own cotton candy.” He said, and snapped his fingers, and cotton candy appeared in his claw.

He licked at it, but it held no satisfaction, it didn’t seem real and it fell apart to vapour.

“Maybe you should stick to real food for now.” Cadence suggested, pointing to her saddlebag.

“I think you are right.” The creature agreed with a sigh.

He picked up the crystal berries and ate them. They were nice, but not sweet enough for him. That was strange because he had always found the crystal berries to be really sweet before. He ate them and then the rock candy and the taffy until he felt full. Now when he snapped his fingers the cotton candy he conjured was more satisfying and he offered some to the filly.

As the filly ate the cotton candy he started testing his power once more until fish swam around the room, streamers fell from the ceiling and pies floated about the place. Cadence looked around at the wonderful sight, but it was really chaotic. And there was noise, lots of noise that seemed so discordant.

“I’ve got it!” She announced jumping up and down in excitement.

“Got what?” The creature asked turning back to the filly and the balloon he’d been conjuring floated away to the other side of the room.

“What I’ll call you instead of dracone-thingy.” The princess said with a smile. “I’ll call you Discord.”

“Discord? Why?” The draconequus asked with a frown.

“Because you bring chaos.” She stated waving her hoof around at everything he had conjured within the room.

“It is a good name.” The creature conceded. “But I don’t think I’d feel comfortable with it.”

“Oh. Ok.” She said, looking down at her hooves with a pout.

The creature looked down at the disappointed filly.

“But I have no objections to you calling me Discord if you like.” He offered.

“Thank you Discord.” She said, hugging him. “You know, you’re the bestest friend I’ve ever had.”

The creature once known as Starswirl felt sad at the thought of being the filly’s best friend. She shouldn’t think of him as a friend, he could never be anypony’s friend. He would have to find a way to change the filly’s mind.


Author's Note:

I'm sorry I'm late been super busy as of late.