• Published 11th May 2015
  • 1,943 Views, 42 Comments

A Monster's Sunset - PrometheusX



We know the tale of Sunset Shimmer coming to CHS and becoming the jerk-queen of the school...but how would she fare in a world where her only allies are a young boy with heroic dreams and an all-powerful lamia with far too voracious an appetite?

  • ...
6
 42
 1,943

A Meeting of Fate

"Sunset Shimmer, I am removing you from the position of my pupil. If we cannot get past this, your studies end here. You are welcome to stay in Canterlot, but you are no longer welcome in the castle."

Those were the words that started me on my journey. They were momentous and perhaps the most important words that were ever spoken to me in my life up to that point, but only now do I see that if they had never been spoken I never would have reached the point I have now.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even properly introduced myself after all.

My name is Sunset Shimmer. A strange name to you perhaps, but where I come from there are far stranger. Once, I had it all. I was the personal student to a goddess. I had status, power, money. I was important. I was destined for greatness, to be a leader of my race and people. I was the kind of mare everypony envied.

Yes, I said 'mare' and 'everypony'. You might have guessed I'm not the standard gal around, but then again, the fact you picked this book up is proof that you already had an inkling. Or maybe you're just the curious type, poking around in things that don't concern you.

But again, who in Tartarus am I to judge? Poking around in such things was exactly what got me in the position I was in back then.

But I'm getting ahead of myself all over again, so let's start at the beginning, shall we? I am, or rather was, a unicorn.

Yes, a horse, though I prefer pony, with a horn that could cast magic. Don't be surprised, unicorns do exist...at least outside of this world. C'mon, this world is filled with hybrids of humans and non-human species called monsters that feed on human semen like it's candy, and not only can they successfully interbreed with humans, they need to in order to survive. Where do you get off on saying I'm crazy?

Anyways, I am a member of but one of three major pony races, the other two being pegasi, winged ponies who can control weather, and earth ponies, who have an unnatural affinity for the earth. My master, Princess Celestia, was an alicorn, a pony who possessed the powers of the three tribes together and whose magical power was so strong it was she, not the rotation of the earth, who was and still is as far as I know responsible for the rise and fall of the sun and moon.

And this all-powerful entity and I got into an argument that resulted in my banishment from what was rightfully mine, and my escape into this all-new world of possibilities.

...You think I'm crazy, don't you? But the fact you stayed with me this long is proof that you do in fact believe...or maybe you just love listening to the rambles of a madmare. I suppose it wouldn't be surprising either way; if I read about some of the things of this world without having experienced it myself, I would call whoever wrote it worse than mad.

...I'm rambling again, aren't I? I have a bad habit of that. I don't even know why I'm writing this book now. A message to show I'm not insane after all these years? A desire to tell my story? Regret at being unwilling to return to my teacher and beg for forgiveness? A promise to reaffirm my ambition to return and prove myself? I don't know anymore. All I can do is write and hope that I can find the answer.

My name is Sunset Shimmer, and this, just like the stories of the prideful angel of heaven, is how I fell from grace.


"...Well ain't you Ms. Melodramatic?" Sunset Shimmer muttered to herself as she looked over the first page of her journal, arms stretched over top of her desk which was perhaps the most worthwhile thing in the humble abode she called home. "You'd think I was writing my own obituary from the way this is-"

"HELP!"

That massive scream caused her to start, her arm jerking to hit the bottle of ink next to her and spilling it all over said most worthwhile thing and onto the floor. With a scowl and barely contained anger she let an obscure curse hiss through her teeth, shutting the book and grabbing a nearby towel try and mop up the mess before it got worse.

"Whoever said that's gonna need help when I'm done with them..." she muttered darkly as she started to clean, not caring if the ink stained the wood if it meant she didn't get any more on herself. Just her damned luck. Even after nearly ten years of exile from everything she had once known, it still seemed like karma wasn't done biting her in the flank. "Honestly, would it kill the world just to-"

Her internal musing was interrupted yet again by the sound of frantic knocking on her door. With a quick glance towards the disturbance, she blinked in surprise before scowling again, murmuring a prayer to whatever god or goddess was listening that whoever it was would just assume she wasn't in and leave her the hell alone. There was a reason her home was at the edge of Ilias Village after all.

Ilias Village. A place dedicated to the 'Great Goddess Ilias', defender of light, justice, harmony and all that pretentious bull, but to her it was just a name filled with bad memories. Sunset personally didn't know if Ilias was even a real thing (she had never seen any visions of her), but she did know that for all their self-righteous talk, these people really weren't all that, especially not back when she first arrived.

They had nearly been her grave when she arrived here out of these woods, caught in the middle of winter with no food or water, suffering a broken arm and several scars from her own stupidity. What kind of deity did nothing for someone in trouble like that? Those xenophobes had left her to die in the cold and she would have if not for-

"Sunset Shimmer, please open up! It's urgent!" A female voice urged from behind the bolted wood. For a moment, the red-and-yellow-haired young woman hesitated, then just sighed and got up, ignoring the half-finished ink cleaning to walk towards the door. Well, it wasn't like she really had anything better to do.

'The journal was a dumb idea anyways,' she thought to herself as she grabbed the black cloak that was nearby on her book and paper-covered bed, throwing it over her shoulders as she checked the sleeves of her brown tunic and same-colored leggings for any ink splotches. Finding none, she grabbed the painted-black hardwood staff resting at the foot of her bed with her good hand, its coolness calming her slightly as she hurried towards the door, careful to avoid various books and glass objects stacked haphazardly all over. Her research into this world had left her with many sleepless nights pouring over tomes, mixing various types of chemicals, and writing her findings down, so her house looked more like a tornado had passed through it than anything else, with effective walking space a bit of a luxury.

Still, she knew it well-enough to navigate without making a mess. The knocking continued at its urgent pace as she neared it, and it only stopped as she took a moment to use the peephole, her teal eye visible to whoever was on the other end as she came eye-to-eye with a frantic brown orb.

"Who is it?" she called out, wincing as she moved her free hand towards the bolt. Still hurt even after all these years...

"It's Betty, your old neighbor!" she shouted.

Sunset remembered Betty. One of the few persons in town she could actually hold a civilized conversation without worrying about getting angry enough to start setting things on fire. She opened the door, her gaze falling upon the old woman, still standing strong despite easily being in her late sixties or so, clad in her simple homespun clothes.

"What is it?" she asked, taking a moment to glance out towards the village down the road. Sunset's home was situated right at the edge of the forest, only accessible by the dirt road that wound its way out from the little village. Yet even from here she could still see the village, looking for all the world like a typical sleepy settlement where nothing happens.

Except for two glaringly obvious things: One, the massive white marble temple smack-dab in the center that stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the slightly run-down, homelier buildings around it.

Two, the fact that there were people running about in the streets like headless chickens, rushing into houses and into the said temple like their lives depended on it. She was even certain that she could pick up faint yells of "Ilias save us!", "Have mercy!", "Get the women and children to safety!", and what sounded like "Hide the beer!".

"Is it Prohibition Day already?" she asked in confusion. "I know those crazy priests had been throwing around that idea for a long time, but I didn't think that they'd actually go through with it considering-"

"Sunset, this has nothing to do with that stupid law!" Betty replied heatedly, then took a breath to calm herself. "Lumberjack Hans spotted a monster on the outskirts of the village in the forest. People are panicking like mad."

Sunset blinked. "I thought monsters avoided Ilias Village because of the temple." And having stepped in there once to out of curiosity, she could understand why: Way too bright, orderly and just a plain eyesore. "Something about the Goddess striking them down with lightning bolts?"

Betty nodded. "Yes, but there have been exceptions. All that matters is that it's apparently coming closer to the village and-what are you doing?"

Sunset stopped moving back into her house, giving the old woman a glance that basically said 'bored now'. "Thanks for the warning, but I'm just gonna stay inside now until it's gone."

Betty looked appalled. "W-What?! You can't do that!"

Sunset was reasonably certain she could, but she turned around fully to face the lady anyways, absentmindedly scratching at a healed-over mark along her chin. "Why not? Certainly the soldiers can handle one monster, so why come to me? It's no skin off my back. You of all people should know I don't really care about this place anyways."

Betty looked appalled, but then shook her head. "You always did know how to hold a grudge..." she muttered. "But what if I was to tell your brother went charging out to fight it?"

She might as well had just blown her house up right then and there. She still would have produced a less impressive reaction from Sunset. Immediately, Sunset had shut the door to her house and was now facing Betty face-to-face, staring at her with widened eyes filled with surprise, fear and anger.

"WHAT?!" she shouted. "When did this happen?! Why didn't you say so?!"

Betty backed away slightly, but answered anyways. "About eight minutes ago. I came as quickly as I could to tell you, but I-"

"Did he at least get his baptism yet?"

"No, he's still-"

Sunset didn't bother to listen to the rest of her explanation, simply gripping the staff in her hand tighter as she drew upon her magic, watching said hand and staff glow a teal color as she envisioned the forest just to the north of the village in her mind's eye-

She shut her eyes, moments before the world seemed to shift, and then opened them upon hearing a 'pop', pleased to see her teleportation was a success at the sight of trees. It was good to see she could still use something like that despite her current body and lack of usage of it lately. The villagers always did get antsy whenever she practiced her magic. Not her fault they couldn't handle fireballs blowing up their trees.

"Alright then," she muttered to herself as she looked around the trees surrounding her, searching for her quarry, "where on Earth are you-"

"Argh!"

A definitely masculine shout interrupted her musings, somewhere deeper in the trees. Sunset quickly raced towards it, hoping against hope she wasn't too late to stop-

She made it to a clearing where she came upon the most bizarre of sights. A young man, about 18 she knew from personal experience but appearing more in his early teens than anything else, with messy and close-cropped purple hair and almost child-like blue eyes, was before her. He was wearing a light-purple tunic with an even lighter, almost white long-sleeved undershirt, a deep red cape that also seemed to double as a scarf around his neck, brown gloves, black pants and blue-grey boots with bronze-colored metal fronts. In his right hand he was holding a plain iron sword that seemed well-cared for, perfect for challenging any sort of dangers that might stand in his way.

He was also currently halfway stuck inside what could only be described as a mass of blue slime vaguely in the shape of a girl with a large pair of breasts. Said slime seemed to be trying to drag him deeper inside of herself while staring at him in equal parts what could only be described as confusion and amusement as he fruitlessly struck at her body with his swordhand, which was submerged in her body and thus only occasionally poked out of her form, only to watch as the pieces that flew off just recombined with her after a few moments.

Honestly, the sight was so ridiculous that Sunset nearly forgot why she had come out here in the first.

"Ehehe~" the slime girl singsonged as the boy continued to strike fruitlessly. "Oh, just give up already and let me digest your clothes! I'm hungry, and I'll make you feel good if you do~!"

"N-Not yet..." the boy huffed and puffed slowly as he dragged himself towards the other side of the clearing, where Sunset realized there appeared to be some sort of slow-moving stream. "I...still have...one last option!"

'What are you-'

Sunset's thoughts were cut off as both boy and slime tumbled into the water. Eyes widening, she rushed out of the woods and across the clearing.

"Luka!" she shouted as she reached the site. "Are you alright?!"

Silence...and then, "...BWA-HAAAA!"

Luka's head exploded to the surface. With several coughs, he quickly pulled himself out of the water and stopped on the bank, unslimed and taking in several breaths.

"I-I did it..." he panted slowly as he dragged his sword out of the water behind him. He paused, then looked over at Sunset as if only now realizing she was here, then flashing her a smile. "H-Hey Sunset," he called to her before coughing up some water. "N-Nice to see you today."

Sunset didn't know if she wanted to hug him for being safe or throw a fireball at him for making her worry like that. Luckily for both of them, she was spared from forming an answer by a welcome distraction.

"Uuuuuu~!"

The two of them turned their heads to see the slime girl's face floating in the water, seemingly pouting.

"I can't take form anymore~! What's going to happen to me~?"


"You should have let me set her on fire."

"I don't think that works on a slime."

"Anything burns if you turn up the heat enough. That or explodes. Come to think of it, I should test that sometime."

Luka sighed as the two of them made their way back to the village. After Sunset had nearly evaporated the entire stream in order to get at the slime girl, Luka had managed to convince her to just capture the monster in a magic bubble so they could take her far away from the village. She grumbled about it, but complied after about a minute or two (and Luka using his sword to keep the slime from floating away on the current). After that, they had spent about ten minutes or so just going deeper into the forest before dropping the slime off with the stern warning not to come back (though Luka was certain the sight of Sunset forming a fireball large enough to incinerate a tree probably had more of an effect than his words).

Now, they were just walking back towards the village, talking. When Luka asked Sunset why she just didn't teleport them, since he knew that she could do so, she just shrugged and said it was too long a distance for her right now. He had a feeling she was bluffing, but he didn't feel like pushing the issue.

Honestly, any stranger looking at them right now would likely just be confused by the sight. The short-purple-haired, smiling and innocent-looking boy in heroic clothing of purple and red with a sword provided such a stark contrast to the long red-and-golden-haired, scowling and scarred woman in witch-like clothing of black and brown with a staff that one would have originally wondered why they weren't trying to kill each other. Yet the way they interacted both verbally and non-verbally made it clear that despite the latter's snarking they were quite close to one another, almost like a pair of siblings. It was something that often boggled the minds of the residents of Ilias Village, both newcomers and even veterans, whenever the two of interacted in public.

For Luka though, it was just a part of life. Ever since he and his late mother had first met Sunset nearly ten years ago, almost dead in the snow of winter covered in horrible scars, he had taken the time to bond with the older woman, to the point that he had come to see her like an older sister. An older sibling that was aloof, rude and very sarcastic, but a sibling nonetheless. It didn't matter about her outward personality; he knew what the 'her' underneath all that was really like.

Still, that didn't mean he just let her get away with her quips.

"You can't just go around blowing up everything you don't like," he told her with just the slightest hint of disapproval. She in turn scoffed and turned her head.

"Sure I can."

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, you can," he acquiesced, "but that's not an option for me on my quest."

Sunset snorted. "Your 'quest'," she repeated. "You honestly still believe in that?"

"Yes," he replied. "You saw that slime girl. All she wanted was something to eat, and it wasn't even me."

"Nah, just your clothes with a side of your semen," Sunset answered, rolling her eyes as if that was the stupidest joke she had ever heard. "Did I ever tell you how messed up that really is?"

Several times in the past as a matter of fact, but he didn't bother to answer that.

Luka sighed. He expected this sort of reaction from her. "Look Sunset, I know that you don't like the idea of me going out into the world-"

"No, I don't have a problem with that," she corrected him. "What I have a problem with is the fact that you're doing it in the name of some hair-brained scheme to bring coexistence to a bunch of monster races that don't want it."

"That's not true," he remarked. "Humans and monsters used to be able to live in harmony. I mean, we weren't exactly friends, but we weren't at war either."

"And then Remina happened."

Luka flinched. Remina, a town near the Monster Lord's (the leader and most powerful of the monster races) castle, had once been a shining example of both humans and monsters coexisting peacefully. Until the day nearly 30 years ago a massive raid of monsters descended upon it and turned it into a scene from hell, leaving only charred ruins and no survivors behind. Humans forced monsters out of towns in both fear and outrage, and wild monsters in turn attacked human settlements, finally culminating in the Monster Lord declaring war on humanity.

...Well, 'war' was a stretch, as the degree of 'conflict' varies depending on the continent in question. Some still accept man and monster alike, others nowhere near as kind. Still, the world was a far worse place now.

"Yeah...but that doesn't mean things can't go back to the way they once were if we try."

"Doesn't mean they can either. We could just be setting ourselves up for a big disappointment."

"That's why I've got to defeat the Monster Lord. If I can beat her, everything goes back to normal."

Sunset flat-out laughed at that, actually stopping to double over as she raised her slightly-twisted left hand to her mouth, its scarred appearance almost fitting her self-moniker of "The Witch of Ilias Village".

"I'm serious!" he told her, though even he knew how ridiculous it sounded. "Why do you think I've wanted to train since I was eight? It's all so I can face off with her."

Sunset stopped chuckling. "It's a noble goal yes, but do you really think you can defeat the Monster Lord, the most powerful monster in existence? She would crush you like an insect."

He deflated slightly. "You don't have to be so direct about it..."

Sunset sighed. "Luka, do you honestly think you would stand a chance outside of this village? There are monsters out there who are ready to kill you, eat you, rape you, or all three at once if you fight them."

"I've trained!"

"Against dummies for striking and me for dodging, and as good as I am, it's different when the enemy's actually trying to win and hurt you. I was there when the slime girl was attacking, remember? How on earth did she catch you? I thought I taught how to dodge if nothing else."

He flinched. Despite all his confidence and training, he had nearly been done in by an average slime, and one that had only been hungry to boot. It was quite clear he needed something more.

"I-I only lost because I didn't realize her body couldn't be cut and my sword and hand got stuck inside. I couldn't get out," he replied reluctantly, then added resolutely. "B-But I'll manage! When I get Ilias' blessing, I'll be able to-"

"You'll get official recognition as a 'Hero'," she interrupted him with quotations marks around that last word. "Sure, you get benefits, but is that 'divine protection' really gonna mean much in the long run if you can't even really hurt your enemy?"

"Ilias came to me in a dream last night, Sunset. I saw her. She told me I was her only hope in stopping the monsters. That's got to mean something, right?"

Sunset looked like she was about to have another burst of laughter, probably thinking he had lost it, but she stopped herself. "Really? You sure it wasn't from dinner? Those mushrooms were a little old after all."

Luka growled. He did love her as a sister, but he was tired of her poking holes into his hopes. "Sunset, this is my dream! I've been training for this day for years. I can't just throw it away now!"

"And I promised your mother that I would take care of you and make sure you were safe on her deathbed!" she shouted back, all amusement gone from her face. "Don't think for a moment I'm gonna break that promise just because you were being stubborn!"

Luka flinched, all his fury gone in an instant at those words. He remembered that very well. His mother, Liese, had been the only other person in the entire village who both he and Sunset had ever truly been close to. In his case, it was because she was the only real family he had left; not since what had happened to his father at least, and the villagers back then had always given him the cold shoulder. For Sunset, it was because his mother was the one who found her out in the cold and took her in when no one else had, personally seeing to her injuries and taking care of her even after she had healed. She was quite literally the only person who Sunset ever treated with respect and deference; even with himself her softer side only showed itself at key moments. It was because of her the two of them had even started to bond together, starting with his curiosity into the thing Sunset called 'magic' and her eventual acceptance in showing it off to him: moving boulders with her mind, disappearing and reappearing somewhere else instantly, and even blowing up trees with great balls of fire.

Then the illness came. Mother got sick while they didn't. The villagers didn't help them, refused to help the family of outsiders even when both he and Sunset had gone into town to try and find medicine. He had little doubt Sunset would have burned them all to the ground and he would have helped if Mom hadn't forbidden it. Sunset sent a large amount of time with her especially near the end, talking behind closed doors. He remembered that last night like it was yesterday: He and Sunset kneeling next to mother's bed, listening to her beg them not to hate or take revenge on the villagers, her plead for Sunset to watch over him and for himself to grow up into a good man.

That was the first time he had ever seen Sunset cry.

They had buried her together. He still didn't know all of what they had talked about; the only thing he got out of Sunset was that she was gonna be the one who took care of him from now on. But she refused to stay in the same village as the people who didn't help them. She found a house just outside the village and made it her residence, always returning in the morning and leaving at night from their now so-empty home to check up on him. They had bonded further in their sadness, becoming more like brother and sister, and it was the one thing he truly cherished out of all that pain.

She scared away any who would approach her new home with her magic, to the point that she began to be called a witch and not one to be bothered. When the second plague came five years later and killed off many of the old villagers, she watched it all with stony, almost content silence. He couldn't blame her, he felt much the same deep down despite his promise. It was around this point that she began to take interest in his training, which mostly consisted of dodging anything she could throw at him to hone his reflexes, as a few years on a practice dummy only gives so much.

But even as new people came to settle in and the old wounds began to disappear, Sunset refused to return. She had made it clear of her opinion of the village and she wouldn't be swayed. It was as if her grudge had turned from the inhabitants to the village to the village itself, and nothing short of its destruction would make it go away.

She had downright admitted that if it wasn't for that promise she made, she would have left this place long ago. And here he was, basically telling her (from her point of view) that he didn't want her protection anymore.

Luka looked down, realization of what he had been implying stopping him from continuing on his tirade. "I-I'm sorry," he muttered.

Sunset flinched, seemingly more ashamed of her own outburst and his reaction than his words. "No, I...I didn't mean it like that..." she started, then sighed as she rubbed her face. "...Damn, I'm a real bitch, aren't I?"

Luka just sighed, then grinned. He wasn't the type of person who like to watch others go on in sadness if he could help it. "Yeah, you kind of are," he couldn't help but answer, "but at least you're honest about it."

Sunset smiled slightly, a grunt of amusement escaping as she recognized his attempt to divert the conversation, yet taking it all the same. "You've got me there," she replied, then held her hands out wide. "But when you're as awesome as me, you can afford to be truthful. I'm the strongest mage on this entire continent for a reason, you know. I'll make people accept the truth!"

The two shared another chuckle, then Sunset glanced up at the sky, frowning slightly. "...Well, might as well get you back to the village before noon," she sighed. "No use in me trying to make you late to the baptism."

Luka blinked. "Wait, I thought you said-"

"Forget what I said," she replied, looking back at him. "Maybe if you get this blessing you'll actually stand a chance on this crazy-ass plan of yours, or at least you'll stop preaching about it to me so much. Maybe you'll even change your mind." She lifted her staff. "I think I've got enough in the tank to get us both there without a prob-"

The rest of her statement was cut off by a massive explosion of sound and force that shook the ground they stood on, as if the heavens itself had suddenly split the earth. With a garbled curse Sunset fell flat on her ass, dropping her staff on her own face in the process, while Luka suffered a similar fate as he lost his footing. They didn't even have time to process what just happened.

"W-What was that?!" Luka shouted as he scrambled back to his feet, looking around for the source of the disturbance. It had seemed so close...

He only half-heard Sunset's response of "Did the moon just fall or something?" when he sighted on what seemed like the right direction and quickly set off. He was certain he heard Sunset shout his name from behind him but he was too distracted by a rising cloud of dust and smoke to stop, his curiosity at whatever the cause was and his concern for anything that might have been at the site of the explosion overpowering any sense of caution he might have had.

Well, not all of it, as his grip on his sword tightened instinctively. He wasn't that stupid.

He quickly tore his way through the trees, finally stopping at the edge of a crater in the ground, dust still rising from it. Placing a hand over his face, he slowly made his way down, stopping at the very bottom as he came across something. He squinted, trying to get a better look at the mysterious fallen object as he knelt down to-

He stopped when he realized several things.

One, it was alive but unconscious, if the way its chest seemed to rise and fall slowly.

Two, 'it' was a 'she', as evidenced by the fact he could see a definite pair of breasts on said chest, and to his growing discomfort and blushing face he realized they were both rather generous and covered (along with her entire upper body) only by a strategically-arranged, scale-like piece of black clothing with golden bands that revealed far more than it covered as well as a strange purple tattoo that ran all the way up along her left side from lower abdomen to upper face.

Finally, her lower half was not a pair of legs but rather a red and purple snake tail, her skin a pale blue and her long silver hair adorned with strange pink flowers that seemed to actually grow out of her head.

'A lamia...?' he thought to himself in confusion. 'What's a monster like that doing all the way out here?'

"Luka!" came a voice faintly but angrily behind him. "Wait up!"

He flinched as he looked back, remembering guiltily that he had left Sunset behind. With the memory came the sudden realization that he couldn't waste anymore time here. If he wasn't at the church by noon, he'd miss his baptism and the Day of Departure. If he wasn't there, he'd miss his once-in-a-lifetime chance to become a true Hero.

...But he couldn't just leave this monster here. He'd be betraying the very principles and goals of the world he was setting out to make.

'Surely there's enough time to spare to help just one more monster, right?'

"Um...Miss Monster? Are you alright?"

There was no answer, just the slow rise and fall of her chest. Luka wisely chose to keep his eyes off said area and focus on her face, noticing to his surprise that despite the fact she was obviously the one who had crashed here, there wasn't much in terms of injuries on her body aside from dust and a few scratches.

He also noticed that despite her otherworldly appearance, she could hardly be called 'ugly'; quite the contrary, if she were human, she could have easily been mistaken for a princess with those looks.

Then her golden eyes snapped open, fixing him with a stare that was equal parts surprise, confusion and some other emotion.

"Um...hello?" he squeaked. He dearly hoped it wasn't hunger.

The girl ignored him for a moment as she slowly used her tail to balance up-right, hand to the side of her head as she groaned and muttered something under her breath. Not knowing what to do, Luka stood like a statue, doing his best to minimize even his breathing out of fear of how she might react to sudden movements. A part of him was also marveling at the fact she was shaking off what had clearly been a pretty hard fall like it was headache, but he supposed that was part of monster resiliency.

Finally, she turned her gaze upon him again, her eyes masking any emotions she might have been feeling. Luka wisely chose to remain silent. For a moment they were as statues.

Finally, the monster spoke. "Where am I?"

"Eh?" Luka intelligently answered, mind still trying to catch up.

The snake-lady narrowed her eyes. "I said 'Where am I?'" Her tone brokered no argument.

Luka didn't know how to respond to that. If she was a danger, he couldn't just tell her about the village. But he had a nagging suspicion that a lie would result in something painful happening. So he kept silent in indecision.

Apparently, his acquaintance didn't like that idea, or maybe she just got tired of waiting for him to answer. Regardless, her eyes suddenly flashed with a strange light...

Author's Note:

Snarker Sunset is best Sunset.

A word to the wise about "Monster Girl Quest" (or "Monsumu Quest" as its known in Japan) though. Don't worry about it if you've never heard of it; you shouldn't play the VN if you don't want to. And you most definitely shouldn't play it if you're underage. Seriously.

As to this story, several things will be altered from the original source material, and not just the fact everyone's favorite pony-human is involved. Don't be expecting much of any sexual scenes (at least on-screen) as most of them only occur in-game when you lose and are non-canon. What got me started on this story was the fact that this hentai VN actually has a story that works without the hentai, and boy is it epic.

I hope to see you all enjoy the coming chapters!