• Published 8th May 2015
  • 335 Views, 2 Comments

The Corruption of Love - SpearmintSonnet



When Mi Amore Cadenza discovers a strange amulet hidden among her belongings she begins to see the world in a different light... and not always for the better.

  • ...
4
 2
 335

Wedding Crasher

Cadence's relationship with Shining Armor has progressed rapidly and smoothly with the unicorn falling in love with her desperately and hopelessly- just as Cadence had hoped he would. When she went to her Aunt Celestia to inform her of their decision to marry, however, Celestia expressed concerns... and made the mistake of mentioning that the two of them getting married so quickly may cause turmoil for Twilight Sparkle. This, of course, set Cadence off, and the alicorn proclaimed her intention to marry Shining Armor without telling Twilight at all if need be before storming off to her room.

The large doors that lead from the castle halls to Cadence's private rooms slammed loudly, sending echoes of the Princess's agitation through both her room and the halls outside. The Princess stood just inside the room, her usually calm and warm features twisted into an angry scowl as she stopped a hoof in childish frustration. “It's always Twilight!” Her voice was shrill and angry as she cried out in her fury. She turned her head sharply, her horn igniting with magic as well as one of the plush pillows on her bed. With a firm flick of her head, she sent the pillow tumbling through the air and into a wall with a less than satisfying thump.

“Never mind that she's not the one getting married! Never mind that Twilight isn't even a major part of his life anymore! Never mind any of that! Oh the poor, precious, porcelain Twilight- Savior of Princess Luna, Bearer of the fabled Element of Magic- might be distressed that her older brother is moving on in life without her! The- the nerve of Celestia saying such a thing!” Again, her horn lit up with magic. This time the umbra surrounded not another soft pillow, but her large and heavy jewelry box that sat on a side table. This time the crash and clatter of metal hitting the wall, the box spilling open, and the baubles inside tumbling to the floor made Cadence smile smugly.

“Jealous old maid that she is... probably can't stand the thought of her niece getting married when she can't seem to catch the eye of any stallion. Not that a two thousand year old hag is much to look at anyway. She's probably using Twilight as a cover for her own feelings.” Cadence sighed deeply and in a moment all her anger drained away, leaving her weak. She crumpled to the floor as her knees could no longer hold her weight, “ah... but what am I going to do? Without Celestia's blessing I can't get married at all! Not to Shiny... not to anypony... Why must Twilight be the cause of all my problems?”

From her nightstand, the only pendant not in a pile on the floor, shone with an inner fire, “Such sadness, my Cadence...” the voice was quiet and soft, but full of warm understanding, “what's the matter, sweetling?”

“Everything!” Cadence cried out in distress, her voice drifting up from the floor with less force than she would have desired, “Shining and I went to Celestia for a blessing on our engagement and marriage... and instead of giving it, she makes excuses! Asks what Twilight- of all ponies- thinks and when we tell her she doesn't know, Celestia all but faints! She seems to believe that getting married so quickly- without telling Twilight- will cause her distress.” Her tone becomes more and more mocking each time she says Twilight's name. “I just... I lost. There's nothing I can do now... I can't just go behind Celestia's back, she'd disown me... at best, I'd be a scandal. At worst... I can't even imagine.”

She laid her head on her hooves and sighed dejectedly, “we... traded words and eventually I said that I didn't care if Twilight knew about the wedding or not. If Celestia thought it would cause her such distress, I thought it would just be better to not tell her at all! And then I came back here... I know there's nothing you can do, but... talking to you makes me feel better.”

There is silence and stillness in the room as the amulet shimmers and seems to move towards her ever so slightly, “I see. That's no how you imagined the conversation would go, I'd venture to guess. To have Celestia deny you your own happiness for Twilight Sparkle's comfort... it's selfish favoritism, isn't it?”

“Yes, it is...” Cadence's voice was dull and lifeless as she continued to lie on the floor. “Even Shiny was surprised when she denied us. It... it never crossed our minds that Celestia cared more for Twilight than her own flesh and blood. But I suppose even the great Celestia has her faults. Glaringly obvious faults, if you're brave enough to see them.”

“And you're nothing if not brave enough, Cadence,” inside her mind, Cadence feels Noir shake his head slowly. “Come over here, my Princess. Allow me to help you.”

Slowly, Cadence pulled herself to her hooves and towards the nightstand where Noir is resting, without protesting that he is 'just' and amulet. Reaching out with a hoof, she pressed it softly against the smooth contour of the stone and she smiled slightly. No sooner did she touch the amulet than all of her hurt feelings, her anger and rage, suddenly all vanish as if they were sucked from her body, causing her to feel as if she'd had a chilled, wet blanket wrapped around her warm body. She shuddered as all the negativity was drawn from her body, “Thank you, Noir... I feel so much better now. I can think more clearly.”

From under her hoof, the amulet all but shivers in delight, “Anything to be of service, Princess... in fact, it is the very service I was designed by my creator to perform: to absorb negative emotions.”

“Very interesting,” Cadence murmured to herself as she sat on her bed, bringing the amulet with her. “But what should I do about Celestia? Shining Armor and I are in love with each other... but without being married, I can't help but fear it's only a matter of time before that changes...”

“Then your course of action is clear, is it not?”

Cadence sighed, “perhaps to you, but I am at a loss.”

Noir sighed, vexation tinging his mental voice, “will you allow him to slip through your hooves, Princess of Love? Will you truly allow your... how did you say it? Your 'jealous old maid' of an aunt to stop you?”

“Of course not!” Cadence felt her own anger flare up in defense against Noir's, “but as I said, without her blessing marrying Shining Armor is impossible! It's not like we have our own little country to escape to! I'm not giving up,” she added firmly, “never, but my hooves are tied. All I can do for the moment is keep Shining Armor close and be more careful around Celestia. I should not have lost my temper before... but perhaps I can still change her mind.”

“Oh, quite the contrary: I think it was the right time to lose your temper. That shows your aunt that you are serious and passionate about the subject, and she will not soon forget your anger.” Noir's voice was calm again and it was clear he was far less agitated than before. “But you are correct, there is, as I stated before, one course of action you can take to ensure that your plan goes accordingly.”

“And, pray tell, what is that course of action? I believe I can convince Celestia in time, but I have a feelings your plan will not be as... long winded.”

“Agree to inform Twilight Sparkle of your impending nuptials, as your Aunt wishes.”

Cadence sat up with a start, “what? You can't be serious! Why should I agree to her terms?”

Silence reigned for a moment before Noir spoke again, and when he did, his voice was cool and calm, “What is your goal, Mi Amore Cadenza?”

“To marry Shining Armor, but-” Cadence answered quickly, but Noir cut her off before she could protest further.

“And what are you willing to do to realize that goal, Mi Amore Cadenza?” His voice grew firmer, half chastising her and half goading her on.

Her muzzle scrunched up tightly for a moment before she sighed, “Very well... I see your point. I should not be so short sighted. I will invite Twilight to our wedding... but not for a while. I'll invite her just before the wedding.”

Noir's voice softened and it was clear he was smiling, “Very good, Cadence. There is a valuable lesson in this: be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals. Be it bowing your head to a pony you despise or trampling lesser ponies under your hooves as you rise to the top- always be willing to do whatever you must to be victorious. If sending a message to Twilight Sparkle will appease your aunt, then by all means do so...” The smile in his voice grew larger, “although sending it to her at the last possible moment is a wonderful touch, I must say...”

Cadence smiled at the compliment, “That's what I'll do then. Thank you, Noir. You always know just what to say.” She gently caressed the amulet with a hoof.

“I do my best for you, Princess... but are you certain you can maintain your composure when you speak to your aunt again? Perhaps... perhaps you should take me along, so that I may assist in calming your emotions.”

The young alicorn thought his proposal over a moment before nodding, “I think that would be a good idea. You do have a way of calming me down... some days I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“I'm pleased to know you trust me so much, Cadence. I will endeavor to never let you down.”

Standing up, Cadence lifted the amulet in her magic and, after rummaging through a drawer, she carefully threaded him onto a thick gold ribbon. Lifting her mane, she slipped the ribbon around her neck and tied it in a tight bow before letting it go and allowing the amulet to rest against her chest. As it touches her skin, she feels a strange warmth tinged with something more sinister...