• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 235 Views, 2 Comments

The Beast of Everfree - phantompen



A mare has a dangerous encounter with a beast in the Everfree forest and lives to tell the tale

  • ...
 2
 235

The Dream


‘The trials you must face to get to me...alive’ the beast hissed, his eyes flashing dangerously in the moonlight as he prowled around, circling me like a cornered mouse.
‘If you succeed...’ he growled before stopping, and for the first time in our encounter I saw his features and frame falter for the quickest second.
‘If I succeed...then I win.’ I replied triumphantly, rising a little. Something inside the creature must have snapped because he sat back on his haunches, let out a ferocious howl , a piercing shriek, and then leapt out to attack…

“Gaughhh!” I shot up instantly. Taking large, heaving gasps of the freezing hospital air, I slid out of bed and walked to the window, gingerly tucking my fragmented wing into a patch of fur. Placing my forehead against the cool glass, I focused on the skyline which was beginning to blur. Large tears leaked out from under my closed eyelids and rolled down my face, and before I could stop it: large, convulsive, childlike sobs rolled out of me like waves of thunder. After I wept for a few more minutes, I eventually pulled myself together, rubbing my nose and brushing my hoof across my red, swollen, eyes. Sighing, I ambled back to the bed and crawled into the covers. I pulled the sheets up to my chin and nestled into the plush bed, murmuring a lullaby my mother used to sing to me as a filly.

“Little child
be not afraid
your mother is here
rest now
the day has done
the sun has set
now night time is
amongst us
but you’ve no
fear
of the things in the
dark
for I'm here
little child
be not afraid.”