• Published 24th Apr 2015
  • 1,894 Views, 18 Comments

Another Dazzlings Redemption story - writer283



Have you ever heard the story of how the Dazzlings were reformed... oh you have, well here's another one

  • ...
2
 18
 1,894

Chapter 1



5 months after the events of the battle of the bands...


Friday

12:15 p.m.

Canterlot High.


The students spend their lunch hour either roaming around the school grounds with their friends, or in the cafeteria, enjoying whatever lunches they had brought, or had been prepared by the cafeteria staff.

Sunset Shimmer carried her lunch tray as she walked toward the table her friends were sitting at. She smiled as she reached the table, and sat down beside Applejack.

Rainbow Dash was currently kicking a grape across the table, using the tips of her fingers as if they were miniature soccer players.

“Practicing for something?” Sunset asked Rainbow.

“Soccer seasons coming up, gotta sharpen my skills” Rainbow replied.

Sunset watched as Rainbow's right hand kicked the grape past her left hand “That's seems like a good idea. But shouldn't' you practice with, ya know... actual practice” said Sunset.

“Pfft... I don't think I need to go that far” Rainbow said.

The girls all turned away from Rainbow Dash to roll their eyes without offending her.

Sunset took a quick glance around the table and noticed that one member of their group was missing. “Where's Pinkie Pie?” she asked.

“Oh, the poor dear, she's caught a bit of a cold from when she locked herself in a walk in freezer” Rarity explained.

“She probably wouldn't have gotten so sick if she had just huddled up and tried to stay warm instead of eating ice cream. I swear, with all the sweets she eats she outta be as big as a house” said Applejack.

“I'm worried about her” said Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy, she's got a cold, not the plague” Rainbow said, showing no concern.

“Did they ever have anything like the plague in Equestria, Sunset?” Rarity asked.

Sunset swallowed the mouth full of food she had, then replied “Not really, the problems in my world were mostly magic and friendship related”

“Sounds nice” Fluttershy said.

“Sounds boring” Rainbow interjected.

Fluttershy quickly looked up from her lunch tray and glanced at something behind, Sunset, then immediately looked back down at her tray.

Sunset noticed the motion “What are you looking at?” she asked.

“Nothing” Fluttershy replied. Fluttershy repeated the same motion, and looked back down at her lunch with a worried look on her face.

“Okay, for real, what are you looking at, do I have something on my face?” Sunset asked, before casually brushing her mouth with her hand.

Fluttershy squirmed in her chair and replied “It's not you... it's who's behind you”

Sunset turned around and scanned the cafeteria. She quickly saw who had caught Fluttershy's attention.

Assembled near the entrance to the cafeteria, the Dazzlings quietly made their presence known. Adagio sneered at the girls from afar. Aria leaned on the wall closest to the entrance and shot annoyed glares at anyone going in or out of the cafeteria. Sonata awkwardly smiled at anyone who passed by, but was usually met with angry glares, causing her to momentarily lose her cheery expression, only to instantly perk back up when someone else walked by.

“Oh... them. Haven't any of you, like, tried to reform them?” Sunset asked.

The girls all looked away from Sunset, as each of them tried to come up with an appropriate reply.

Applejack eventually spoke first “Well, Sunset, you do realize we're not social workers, right? We made friends with you because ya apologized and tried to be a better person. Those girls have just hung around the school, causing trouble for everybody”

“I haven't noticed them doing anything bad since they lost their gems, have you?” Sunset asked. She looked around at her friends and waited for a response.

Rarity looked up and placed her index finger on her chin as she attempted to recall such a misdeed “Well... other than occasionally hang around and give dirty looks, I don't think we've seen them doing anything particularly bad”

Rainbow looked up from her finger soccer game “The key word there is, 'seen'” she said, obviously trying to squash the idea.

Sunset looked back over to the three sirens. Sunset noticed some of the students passing by them returning the glares that Aria was giving out. One student sneered at Aria, causing the siren to raise her fist as if she was about to punch them, only to be stopped by Adagio, who grabbed her arm and held her back. Aria shot and angry stare at Adagio, then harshly pulled her arm from Adagio's grasp and returned to her leaning position, now looking more miserable than before.

Sunset rubbed her chin as she thought “Ya know... maybe reforming them could be be more of a precaution than an act of charity” she said.

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“Maybe if we could become friends with them now, it could save us from some major headaches later on” Sunset explained.

“Oh, I get it, because if we're friends with them, then whatever plans they come up with, we know we won't be targets” Applejack said.

“Not quite, I was thinking more along the lines of reform them so we don't need to worry about them being evil overall” said Sunset.

“No offense, but that idea's sort of dumb” Rainbow interrupted.

Applejack crossed her arms and raised an annoyed eye brow in response to Rainbow's comment “Ya know, saying 'no offense' doesn't really make it any less offensive”

Rainbow leaned back in her chair and smiled as she said “Well, no offense, but I'm not going to take etiquette advice from someone who brags that she can beat anyone in a spitting contest”

Applejack stood up and pounded her hands on the table “Is that a spit challenge!” she yelled.

The entirety of the cafeteria's occupants stopped and stared at Applejack.

Applejack looked around, immediately realizing how loud she had actually yelled. She quickly sat down and pulled her hat down to try and hide her embarrassment.

A tall, mustached, dark haired student wearing a white cowboy hat, a black vest over a white shirt, blue jeans and black sun glasses, stepped up to the girls table. He placed a hand down on the table and leaned in toward Applejack.

“Outside... spit contest... 6 minutes” the student said with a deep British accent.

The student tipped his hat towards the girls. He walked backward toward the exit, simply pushing aside any tables or students in his path.

A tense silence replaced the awkward silence from before.

“That was rather odd” Rarity said, breaking the silence.

“Does that guy even go to this school?” asked Sunset.

“I'm not sure, it seems they let just about anyone in” said Applejack. The farm girl then stood “Now if you'll excuse me, I have a chump to out spit” Applejack said proudly. She straightened her hat and walked after the mysterious mustached stranger.

The only sound that could be heard was the sound of Applejack's boots clicking along the ground. Suddenly, as if a starting pistol had been fired, nearly the entirety of the students in the cafeteria ran out to see the epic spit show down that was about to take place.

The only ones who remained in the cafeteria were the Dazzlings and the four remaining girls.

“I-I don't... what just happened?” Rainbow stammered.

“This really is a strange world” said Sunset.

“Don't random things like this happen in Equestria?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yes, but there's always a sense of order, and direction to that craziness, this is just bizarre” Sunset replied.

“Well, anyway, I guess since almost half our group is down, we might as well wait till later to try your little reformation plan” said Rarity.

“I have a...” Fluttershy caught herself before finishing her statement “On second thought, no, I don't think it's a good idea”

“What is it Fluttershy?” asked Sunset.

“It's nothing” Fluttershy said quietly.

“Fluttershy, just suggesting an idea couldn't possibly hurt” said Rarity.

“Well... maybe if we talked to them as a smaller group they might not be intimidated by us” Fluttershy suggested.

“Are we intimidating?” Rarity asked.

“I think she meant intimidation by numbers” said Rainbow.

“That might not be a bad idea, if we approach them as a mob then they might react... let's just say, negatively” said Sunset.

“Alright, so when do we start, sometime next week perhaps?” Rarity asked.

Sunset glanced back toward the Dazzlings “Well, right now seems like a good enough time to me”

“Seriously, you just came up with this plan, like, a minute ago” Rainbow said, showing no restraint of her bewilderment.

“Well, it just so happens that we have the smaller group ready to go right now, and any innocent bystanders are outside, so really this is the perfect time” said Sunset.

“Well maybe a group of three would work better... so I could just...” Rainbow began to say as she stood up from the table.

Sunset cut off Rainbow before she could finish “No, it's nice to be less intimidating but I'd still prefer to outnumber them in case they try to start something”

Fluttershy trembled and covered her mouth “I suddenly really don't want to do this”

Rarity placed her hand on Fluttershy's shoulder in an attempt to calm her down “Don't be so nervous, darling, they're just girls... from another dimension”

Fluttershy looked back toward the sirens “I guess they don't really seem all that scary” Fluttershy said.

Aria noticed Fluttershy's stare and shot a hate filled glare at her.

Fluttershy gasped and slumped lower in her seat.

Rainbow looked down at Fluttershy, and rolled her eyes. She then grabbed Fluttershy's arm and gently tugged her up from her hiding spot.

“So we're all together on this?” Sunset asked.

Rainbow shrugged her shoulders “Eh... I guess so” she mumbled.

Rarity pulled Fluttershy up from her seat “We're ready” said Rarity.

“Okay, lets go” Sunset said as she turned, only to be caught off guard by the Sirens walking towards them “Umm...or maybe we'll just wait for them to come to us”

The three sirens shoes clicked along the ground in sync, whether intentional or not, it made them seem more intimidating. The sirens stopped only slightly out of sync, and struck ever so subtle stances. Aria crossed her arms and shifted her weight to her left leg, and she sneered at the girls. Adagio placed a hand on her hip and smiled a half nice, half creepy smile. Sonata stood as straight as she could with her arms crossed behind her back, and smiled widely, although her eyes suggested that the expression was not there willingly.

Sunset cleared her throat, then asked “Can we help you?”

“Oh yes” answered Adagio “We all just feel so bad about what we did...”

“More like tried to do” Aria interrupted.

Adagio's smiled vanished and she quickly turned to Aria, and lightly punched her in the arm. The two exchanged a tense stare before Adagio directed her attention back to the girls.

“As I was saying, we're just so repentant” Adagio said in the most innocent voice she could muster “I think of all the things we would have done if we'd succeeded, and it just makes me sick to my stomach”

Sonata smiled even wider, and nodded in agreement. Her eyes darted over to Aria, who still had a sour look on her face. Sonata leaned over to Aria and nudged her with her elbow. Aria glared at Sonata for a moment before forcing herself to smile.

“So we were wondering if you could show us this whole Magic of Friendship thing you're all so crazy about. So what do you say?” Adagio asked.

“Uhh...” Sunset uttered out “Can you give us a minute?” she asked.

“Of course” Adagio replied in a sickeningly sweet voice “Take all the time you need”

Adagio turned and led the sirens away to a group of vending machines along the wall.

“Okay, we all know we can't go through with this, right?” Rainbow asked.

Rarity nodded her head in agreement “I must agree with Rainbow, they seem to be doing a very bad job of acting like they're sorry”

“Yeah, I hear you, and I know it's pretty obvious that this is some sort of scheme” said Sunset.

“Wait a minute” Fluttershy interrupted.

Rarity, Rainbow, and Sunset all shared a moment of surprise that Fluttershy had spoken up.

“I'm not saying I trust them, I mean it seems pretty obvious that they're pretending. But what if they're not, and they actually want to be friends. What kind of message would we be sending if we rejected them based on factually supported worries... I suddenly realize that made more sense in my head”

“No, Fluttershy's right” said Sunset. “We don't get to pick and choose who gets a shot at turning their lives around, and even if we fail we can at least say we tried”

“Or we could not and say we did” said Rainbow.

“Did you take an attitude pill this morning?” Rarity asked Rainbow.

“I'm just saying that it's really not our problem” Rainbow replied.

“Technically it is our problem” said Sunset “It was our song that broke their gems and left them stuck as regular girls. So in the grand scheme of things, if we let them be bad for the rest of their lives it could send them down a path to ruin and misery”

“Pfft...They're just three girls, how much trouble could they possibly get into”

The group heard then sound of a soda can falling out of vending machine. They looked to see Aria now holding a soda can with one hand and a pocket knife with the other. Aria stabbed the knife into the top of the can and wriggled it around to make a hole large enough to drink out of.

Sunset gasped and ran over to the Sirens.

“WHY THE...” Sunset restrained her voice before continuing “Why the heck do you have that?”

“It's a soda... I was thirsty” Aria replied

Sunset smacked her forehead with her palm, and groaned “No, why do have a knife?”

“To open the soda, to quench before mentioned thirst” Aria said before taking a small sip from the can.

“Don't you know that you could get suspended, or more likely expelled if you were caught with a weapon on school grounds?”

“I don't really care” Aria replied.

Adagio then stepped in front of Aria, and said “You'll have to excuse, Aria, heh, heh, she's taken the loss of our gems very hard, and it's left her very irritable and... stupid. But now don't you see just how desperate we are for reformation?”

Sunset furrowed her brow and took in a deep breath “Just to be clear, if we decide to help you, the first sign you're trying to concoct some sort of scheme, we will drop you like a scolding hot chocolate, and you'll be left to clean up the mess”

“Wha...?” Aria said as she tried to make sense of what Sunset had said.

Sunset sighed, then explained “The hot chocolate being you, and the mess being the rest of your lives”

“I like hot chocolate” Sonata chimed.

“Us, scheme, don't be silly” Adagio said with a chuckle.

“See that's what I'm talking about, that does not inspire confidence” said Sunset.

“Sorry, I'll try to keep the smiles and general displays of happiness to a minimum” Adagio replied while holding back a smile.

“You won't see as much as smirk from me” Aria said before taking another sip from her soda.

“What about you?” Sunset asked Sonata.

“But laughing manically at other peoples misfortune is soooo much fun” Sonata said with a giggle.

Adagio looked over her shoulder, and shot Sonata a quick, cold stare.

Sonata's happy expression disappeared and slunk down into a aggravated frown. She then leaned against one of the various drink machines.

“So it's agreed, you'll give us a chance to make things right” Adagio said as she held out her hand.

Sunset looked down at the sirens hand, and replied “Maybe, just give us until the end of the day to talk it over a little more”

“Of course, we wouldn't want to get ahead of ourselves now, would we?” Adagio asked as her facial muscles strained to produce the sweetest smile she could produce.

An uncomfortable, crawly feeling came over Sunset's body as the siren continued to stare at her with big doe eyes. “Okay... meet us at the front of the school at the end of the day”

“How about back behind the dumpsters so no on can h...” Aria began to say before Sonata flicked her in the back of the head. Aria turned and crushed her soda can as she glared at Sonata, only for Sonata to retaliate by sticking her tongue out at her.

Adagio continued to smile, either unaware of the tension behind her, or just ignoring it altogether.

“Well, I guess I'll see you later” Sunset said in an awkward tone. She quickly walked back to rejoin her friends.

Adagio's smile vanished as she turned toward her companions. Adagio sighed and placed her hand on her forehead as she saw Aria holding Sonata in a headlock.

“Dagi, tell her she has to let me go” Sonata whined “I think I'm starting to turn blue”

“You're already blue, you...” Aria caught herself before calling Sonata something the impressionable Siren would most likely cheerily spout in inappropriate situations, like a child who just learned a new word.

“If you two don't enjoy being dragged by the neck, I suggest you follow me” Adagio said as she walked past the two.

Aria loosened her grip on Sonata's neck enough that she could pull herself free.

“Owy” Sonata said pitifully as she rubbed her neck.

“Oh please, how could that possibly have hurt?” Aria asked harshly.

“Girls, come on!” yelled Adagio.

Aria groaned before heeding of the call of the already departed Siren, punching a candy machine as she went.

Sonata stood still for a moment with a slight frown on her face. She then immediately perked up when she saw that a candy bar had fallen out of the machine that Aria had punched. Sonata quickly grabbed the treat, then excitedly ran to catch up to her group.


Meanwhile, outside on the schools track...


The bright afternoon sun shown down on the school as imposing, dark clouds slowly approached from the south, most likely bringing foul weather with it; however, the weather that was brewing was no deterrence to the large crowd. Nearly the entire student body of Canterlot high watched in suspense as the two hat bearing competitors prepared for the spit show of the decade.

The mustached student smelled the brisk spring air, then licked his left pinky finger, and held it up in the air to test the wind. He then began to slosh his saliva around in his mouth, in final preparation for his spit.

Snips and Snails stood with measuring tapes in their hands, ready to measure how far the majestic bits of saliva would travel before meeting ground, and deciding who was the best spitter in the whole school.

The challenged party, Applejack watched impatiently as the odd student continued his preparation.

“We've been out here for five minutes, now are ya gonna spit, or what?” asked Applejack.

The odd student ceased his preparation. He slowly turned his head toward Applejack, his blank stare was surely meant to intimidate, but the farm girl simply tapped her toe against the ground impatiently.

Suddenly, the student threw is head back, then thrust his head forward, and finally... he spat.

The saliva flew through the air like a majestic eagle... if eagles were made of spit, then as quickly as it had began it's journey into the sky it descended like an albatross..., again, if albatrosses were made of spit. The wet projectile hit the ground a remarkable distance away from the mouth that birthed it.

Snips quickly stretched his measuring tape out and recorded the distance “21 feet, 3 inches” Snips yelled for all to hear.

The students all murmured to themselves, each giving their opinion on the distance, the technique that was used, and the whether Applejack could top it.

All eyes were now on Applejack, as the students eagerly awaited to find out whether Applejack's rain of spit fame would be squashed by this complete and utter weirdo.

Applejack smirked and lightly tugged on her cap to show her readiness.

She threw her head back, puffed her chest out, then reversed that process. The spit escaped from her lips and flew through the air. The initial speed and height showed promise, but the saliva began to fall quicker than the other had. Applejack's confident expression quickly faded as it became obvious that her spit would not triumph. The spit landed, only a note worthy distance away.

The result was obvious, but Snails still felt it necessary to take the measurement “20 feet, 9 inches” Snails yelled out “That means... uh, that guy's the winner”

The students all stared at the mustached student and waited for some kind of reaction.

“Spear... you're new spit hero is, Spear” the student said quietly.

Snips and Snails began to chant “Spear! Spear! Spear!” They quickly stopped as they realized no one else was joining in.

The crowd quickly dispersed as the sudden realization of the contest's completely idiotic nature took hold. A few students stayed for a few minutes more, but they only stayed in the hopes that Applejack may try to start a fight, but the expectation was not met.

Applejack stood still with her mouth hanging open slightly, frozen in disbelief that she had not been able to best the strange student.

The student also stood oddly still, as if waiting for the last few onlookers to disperse. Once the crowd was gone, the mustached student tipped his hat toward Applejack, then began to walk away.

“Hey, stop!” Applejack called to the mysterious student.

Spear stopped and turned his head slightly back toward Applejack.

“So you're just gonna beat me in a spit contest and then walk away without saying anything”

“Their will be more words...soon. But now I will only say this” Spear turned back toward Applejack “Our lives are like sub-plots...”

Applejack raised an eye brow “...and?” she said as she motioned for Spear to finish his statement.

“Nope, that's it, life's like a sub-plot, it's all your getting” Spear said before walking away into the distance.

Applejack removed her hat and scratched her head as she attempted to apply some kind of logic to what had just happened.

This had certainly been an odd day for her, and it wasn't even half over yet.

The school bell rang, signaling that the lunch hour was nearly over and classes would resume shortly.

Applejack felt a few rain drops of rain fall onto her head. She then watched as the two drops of spit were quickly lost in a sea of water droplets. Applejack sighed, and placed her hat back onto her head, then quickly walked back to the school.


3:46 p.m.


Sunset Shimmer and her friends waited for the Dazzlings at the front steps of Canterlot high. Flutterhy and Sunset sat next to each other on the steps, both staring at Flutterhy's cell phone as they awaited a test message response from Pinkie Pie, while Rarity and Rainbow Dash tried to explain the situation to Applejack.

“I leave you ya'll alone for one lunch hour, and ya decide to play social workers with the three girls who tried to...” Applejack paused for a moment “What were they trying to do?” she asked Sunset.

Sunset looked up from Fluttershy's phone, and replied “I think they were trying to make everyone adore them so they could take over the world”

“Yeah, that, girls who were trying to do that” Applejack said, making no attempt to hide her disdain for the situation.

“Oh come on, Applejack, they don't even have their magic anymore, what's the worst they could do?” asked Rarity.

“They could take a swing at us” Rainbow commented, still showing her disapproval for the whole situation.

Fluttershy looked up from her phone for a moment, and said “Could we please try to be a bit more positive”

“Don't worry, Flutters, judging by the looks of them, they couldn't even knock a tooth loose” Rainbow said in a miserable attempt at being reassuring.

Fluttershy rolled her as eyes as she looked back down at her phone, annoyed that Rainbow had missed her point. Fluttershy's phone then began to emit small chirping sounds as it received Pinkie's reply. Fluttershy read the message aloud “Sounds super, totes looking forward to it. It'll be like making friends with Sunset all over again. P.S. Still sick, it's driving me crazy”

“Well, that's four to two for reforming them” said Sunset.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack shared disapproving looks, both knowing that the process would be no where near as simple as the others were letting on.

“So now I suppose we wait for them to show up?” Rainbow said.

“Getting impatient, are we?” Adagio chimed from behind the group.

The girls looked up, to the front doors of the school, where Adagio stood with one hand holding the door open and her other hand on her hip. Sonata could be seen through the window of the door next to Adagio, struggling to pull the door open. Aria hung back inside the school, out of view of the girls outside.

“Nope, impatience would imply I want this to start sooner” said Rainbow.

Adagio chuckled at Rainbow's obvious, and well placed hesitance.

“Uh... Dagi” Sonata squeaked out “This door won't work”

Adagio grumbled for a moment, then forced a smile onto her face as she pushed on the door, showing Sonata her error.

“Oh, they should put signs on these things” she said as she pushed the door open and stepped outside. Sonata looked down at the girls “Are we pretending to be nice, or being mean to them?” she whispered to Adagio

“So are we all set to get started?” Adagio said, completely disregarding Sonata's question.

Sunset stood up and glanced around at her friends “Well?” she asked.

Rainbow Dash, and Applejack both begrudgingly nodded, Fluttershy and Rarity both did the same, albeit without the attitude.

“Yeah, I guess so” said Sunset.

Adagio clasped her hands together as a subtle grin crept onto her face “Excellent”