• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 1,594 Views, 17 Comments

Tempest in a Teapot - SparlightTwarkle



Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna work together to guide the spirits trapped in an old castle to the light. In the process, they learn valuable lessons from the spirits and each other.

  • ...
2
 17
 1,594

Chapter 3

Twilight had not seen much of the castle, in fact she didn’t know much of it. There was no mention of it in any book and the vegetation around it was so dense that nature itself seemed to be determined to hide the cursed structure from the world. For the better or worse.

However, as she traversed the abandoned hallways with Piece of Wheel, passing by shattered windows and ancient headless or limbless statues, she realized there was a particular theme to this castle. The night had fallen, but the structure wasn’t entirely dark; it was almost as if it had been designed to let the moonlight in and certain constellations fell into place with some of the overly ornate windows. Every single detail added to the tense atmosphere of the hallways and kept Twilight constantly checking her back.

“Is there-“

“Ah!” Piece shrieked and jumped several steps ahead. Twilight reacted by shifting to an improvised fighting stance and readying a spell.

“What?! What happened!” She asked, dashing closer to her companion and scanning her surroundings.

“N-nothing…” Muttered Piece with heavy panting. “Y-you j-just star-startled, me.”

“Oh.” Twilight let her posture relax and her magic dissipate as she took deep breaths of her own to calm her racing heart.

“I’m so, so sorry.” Piece lowered her head in shame.

“Th-that’s alright.” Her behavior was completely understandable in Twilight’s eyes. This mare, in a way, reminded her of herself. “We should continue.”

“Right.” They resumed their walking in relative silence. “By the way, where you going to say something before?”

“Oh? Yes! Is there anything you can tell me about this castle so far?”

“Hmm… Yeah. I wanted to tell you and Luna everything at the same time, but she pressed me for answers anyway, and… it was very scary. Anyway, as you can see here…” Piece and Twilight reached a corner and stopped their walking. The wall had fallen apart completely, but in the place of the wide hole a large piece of dark blue cloth was hung. “Lord Talonhart and I tried to do some clean-up around the hallways. There was rubble, shattered glass, and some… really nasty stuff. Nature can be creepy. Right here, a tower used to stand.

“There were towers in all four corners of the castle, but they all fell. We tried covering it up with whatever we found, and the first thing we saw were these… curtains outside of the castle covering the second level.”

“Curtains outside?” Twilight quirked her brow and Piece answered with a shrug. Then, they resumed their walking.

“There’s a total of three levels in the castle. Kind of. The problem is that you can’t go up the stairs, so I don’t know what’s up there. There’s some sort of magic sealing the doors.”

“But hasn’t the outside castle fallen apart along with the roof? We could simply fly-“

“Not really. Lord Talonhart tried. It’s just impossible.” Piece turned around to face Twilight with a concerned frown. “And don’t try to look inside for too long; you’ll regret it.”

Twilight remembered her dream. Flying above the castle, looking into every crack and hole, but then hearing a deafening ring that made her wings useless. She remembered the falling, and then the bats. It was a strange thing to dream about. Never had she seen the outside of the structure in full detail; even when she was just arriving in the royal carriage. The castle had always been surrounded by an aura that forced her to look away.

Piece had led them into the main hall, which Twilight recognized, along with the exit door which was situated at the far side. Right across from it there was another door which led into the courtyard. At either side, there were two sets of stairs, each pointing at opposite directions and leading up to wooden doors with faintly glowing runes engraved on them. Twilight had to use all her might to resist trotting up the stairs to spend all night studying them.

Above it all, there was a stained glass window with incredible amounts of detail, and they seemed to have come in time to see the moon perfectly aligned with the designs. As the moonlight passed through the glass, Twilight could see the room painted with different shades of blue and purple.

Piece opened the door, revealing the castle’s courtyard. It was located in the center of the castle, surrounded by the tall stone walls and halls. Twilight felt small and insignificant, but mostly she felt endangered, as if the spirits would push those ancient torn walls onto them.

The moon peeked above the walls, casting menacing shadows on the grass. Twilight guessed the statues, fountains and bushes had been carefully placed in a particular order as well, just to make some fancy, moon related shape.

Then, Twilight noticed Luna herself blending into the lifeless place, standing still next to the fountain in the center and staring at the distance.

Piece cast a fearful glance at Twilight’s direction; clearly, she was too afraid to speak to Luna herself. Twilight smiled, rolled her eyes, and stepped forward towards the statue-like alicorn.

“Good evening, Luna.” Twilight barely caught the slight twitch in Luna’s wings. She turned around, posture straight and head high, with her moon and ethereal mane and tail framing her. Had this been the first time Twilight had witnessed the princess’s splendor, she would’ve stared wide eyed pathetically, with her jaw firmly planted in the ground.

“Good evening.” Luna said in a barely audible whisper and a smile. Maybe it was Twilight’s imagination acting up, or spirits messing with her again, but she had seen… relief in Luna’s tone and features.

“U-um, I brought my camera, like you requested.” Piece finally spoke up, trotting forward and tapping the large, cube-shaped device hanging from her chest with a hoof. “I made the necessary modifications and spells.”

“Oh, so that’s what it is.” Twilight had instinctively switched into her analytical, studious self and walked into Piece’s personal space to inspect the object closer. “I knew it looked familiar, but I’ve never seen a camera like this one…”

“Of course not! I made it myself!” Piece said with her chest puffed, showing her work off, and then blushing when she realized how she had spoken to royalty. Princess Luna cleared her throat before further embarrassment could take place.

“We should focus on the task at hoof.” Chided Luna, her authority amplified by the tense atmosphere around them and the fact that this entire castle was built for her. Both mares retreated into their own space and regained their composure.

“Right.” Twilight muttered. Her behavior was embarrassing, she thought.

“We are exploring the first floor tonight. Tomorrow, we will take a look at the sealed doors.”

The castle was square-shaped, with the main hall and dining room in the center. The three ponies had to explore each hallway and room carefully while Piece of Wheel captured pictures of every single corner to be revealed later. Princess Luna explained how she would talk more about the castle if she only remembered, but all she knew was that it belonged to a duke and it was built a century or two before her banishment. Before then, her memories were blurs and snippets that did not make sense on their own.

Piece of Wheel herself had a hard time convincing the two princesses not to enter certain rooms, and to not ask for details. The only way she could escape the princesses’ interrogating was by promising Lord Talonhart would give them a full explanation later on. This was enough to convince Twilight to refrain from pressing the nervous unicorn any further and to ask Luna to carry on with the rest of the search.

At one point, Twilight asked about Princess Celestia, where she was and how she would help them. Luna shrugged and stated she wouldn’t be of much help yet, with indifference. Twilight noticed how every time she mentioned Celestia or Lord Talonhart Luna would become twice as aloof and her answers would be as short as she could make them.

Piece of Wheel usually stayed out of most conversations, only commenting things regarding their investigation, if it could be considered one. There was so little information that there was not much they could do.

Eventually, they returned to the courtyard, but before the night could end Twilight remembered something.

“I’ll have the pictures revealed at noon.” Piece said with a frown as she studied her camera. Twilight knew she was more than eager to leave.

“Of course. Your help is much appreciated.” Luna thanked politely. Piece sighed and grumbled something under her breath.

“Yeah, yeah. Good night.” Piece’s sudden moodiness put Twilight off.

“Good night. Sleep well!” But she still remained polite.

Her gaze followed Piece until she entered the castle and turned to Luna, who was stretching her wings, getting ready to fly to her balcony.

“Ah, Luna. There’s something I want to show you.” Twilight focused her energy into her horn, picturing the object in her mind and summoning it. A teapot appeared right in front of her face and she caught it before it could hit the ground. “Lord Talonhart gave me this after you…” Twilight feigned coughing into her hoof and looked anywhere but at Luna’s piercing teal eyes. “…left the dining room.”

“Weren’t we drinking from this one earlier?” Luna took the white teapot in her own magic and inspected it, noticing the four dark marks. “These weren’t there before.”

“About that… Those appeared when I was studying in my room. The temperature was becoming very high and then I… saw those marks.” Silence remained between them as Luna continued studying the teapot. “I didn’t see anyone else in my room, and I tried wiping it off just in case it was dust, but nothing.”

More silence. Twilight began growing paranoid, hearing small noises and noticing dark figures in the corner of her eyes. Unconsciously, she stood closer to Luna, hoping she would speak up soon. It was all so unnerving; Twilight had no idea of what to do, how to respond or proceed, and there was no book that would provide her with that answer. She wondered why Celestia had wanted her here in the first place. Her fears and uneasiness made it impossible for her to focus and think of the matter at hand.

“Hold this for a second.” Luna’s sudden voice startled Twilight, who nodded nervously and took the teapot in her own magical hold.

A glow enveloped Luna’s horn and her indigo eyelids covered her almost shining eyes. It wasn’t too hard for Twilight to guess she was summoning something, but she was taken aback when she saw a picnic blanket and two teacups spawn on the ground before them. The teapot also felt heavier and warmer. Why did she, or Celestia, even need servants if they could do this?

“Care for some tea?” Luna offered casually, opening her eyes and sitting on one side of the blanket.

If Twilight hadn’t stupidly gaped and stared at first, she had to now.

She cautiously sat across from Luna, still not quite out of her confusion, and slowly poured tea into both their cups.

“I-Isn’t this… Don’t you think…”

“Inappropriate? Let me explain.” Luna gracefully levitated the cup to her lips and sipped on the liquid. Twilight let the teapot rest on the center of the blanket and sniffed on her own drink before sipping on it. It was just some simple vanilla tea. “I am not as well versed in these magics as I would like to be, but this teapot is more than it seems. Lord Talonhart gave it to you knowing this.

“Its pure white color is almost an invitation for spirits. I assure you, this is something only harmless spirits will accept. Through this, they can communicate with us.”

“Actually…” Twilight giggled nervously. “I wanted to ask if it wasn’t dirty on the inside.”

“Maybe.” Luna said nonchalantly as she vigorously drank her tea. Twilight stared wide eyed at her own, but before she could do anything else, she heard a melodious laugh. “I’m just pulling your leg.”

“Of… of course.” Twilight continued giggling, not quite convinced. “So… how will they ‘communicate’ with us? Why is it an invitation?” Luna raised a brow, as if Twilight had broken her out of some train of thought.

“Ah, I assure you, you will see soon enough. I don’t like spoiling surprises.” Luna calmly took a sip and licked her lips. She must really like vanilla tea. “I am rather fond of the expressions you make when you’re confused.” The statement took Twilight with her guard down, making her unable to come up with a response as her cheeks turned redder and redder.

Eventually, silence enveloped the both of them again. Uncomfortable, Twilight couldn’t bear to let her eyes near Luna’s figure. She kept pondering what Luna was up to. Luna’s behavior around her had changed ever since the remark at lunch, or maybe… Luna had always thrown these little hints at her, but Twilight never noticed them until the matter of somepony being interested in her was brought up.

Was she really this dense? No wonder she was single, even if she was now an alicorn and even she, the self-proclaimed queen of modesty, couldn’t deny how… attractive and regal she looked. If anyone threw her mysteries, adventure, or evil, powerful creatures trying to take over Equestria, she'd handle it with grace, but romance...

Twilight admitted she wouldn’t get anywhere if she didn’t ask directly, as much as the thought sent her heart into a frenzy and made the butterflies in her stomach throw bachelorette parties. She took a deep breath and willed her jaw to open and her vocal chords to let her voice out. After a few seconds of self-convincing and ignoring the thumping in her chest, she was ready.

But before she could even begin her question, she felt something creep up her back. A sudden movement from the teacup in front of her startled her and she shut her eyes instinctively. The next thing she felt was a warm liquid splashing all over her face and chest.

“T-Twilight.” She heard Luna mutter in disbelief. Before Twilight could use her hoof to wipe away the hot tea, she felt a cloth being gently pressed against her cheeks and eyelids. “Better?” Twilight opened her eyes to meet the sight of Luna trying and failing to conceal her amusement and glared at her. To her side, a hoofkerchief levitated in her magical hold. “I give you my word that it wasn’t me.”

“But if it wasn’t you, then…” Twilight jumped to Luna’s side, glaring at the spot she had been sitting at and readying a spell. When her gaze met emptiness, she let the energy that was gathering at the tip of her horn dissipate and her haunches fell to the grass next to Luna.

“Relax, Twilight.” Yet another surprise. A warm and firm mantle of feathers was wrapped around her back and pulled her close to the warmer indigo body next to her. “Neither Celestia nor I would let any harm befall you, and you have showed us and all of Equestria how capable you are on your own.”

Twilight could think of a hundred and one reasons she wasn’t capable of carrying her own weight. If Shining Armor hadn’t joined the Royal Canterlot Guards and met Cadance, they would still be sharing a room. Separate beds, of course. If she had never hatched Spike, she would’ve become Princess Bookworm instead. She would never have even gotten to be Celestia’s student, or met Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack or Fluttershy. And without those five mares, she would never have saved Equestria as many times as she did, she would never have become a princess even if she still couldn’t fully embrace the role, and Princess Luna would never have been freed from Nightmare Moon.

Maybe it was just a thing of getting too much credit, but Twilight still believed she was far from safe on her own.

“We should call it a night. Or a morning.” Luna said with a chuckle and started towards the entrance. Twilight sat there for a few seconds with her eyes wide and following Luna. The picnic blanket and the tea set had disappeared, including that certain white teapot.

Shaking her head, she realized staying behind, alone, in a place where possibly dangerous activity had happened was becoming a habit.

“W-wait! Luna!”

Author's Note:

I have to deeply apologize for the lack of updates. Life was not being nice to me, but we're in the process of making peace.

Chapter 4 is in the works and will be ready for posting on Sunday. Much of the story is already planned out, so updates will hopefully stay regular.

I have to thank those who favorited and commented. Also, TheLastBrunnenG, the cover art was done by me and uploaded directly. I could, however, post it on DeviantArt. I have to thank you for spreading the word too.

Until next time.