• Published 21st Apr 2015
  • 175 Views, 1 Comments

The Hunt WIP - ZimmyRose



A story of two deer friends on the unexpected journey of discovery to find out what happened several years ago, when a yard of deer disappeared into nowhere.

  • ...
 1
 175

Chapter One

Chapter one:

Down by the river Cordial watched as swarms of fish swam by him. He kept moving his face closer and closer to the water, his auburn mane just slightly dipping in. A couple of the fish stopped to try and nip at the tips of his mane, and he kept still, watching the amazing creatures below him swim about. They were all of various colors, rainbow scales that glinted from the sun's refracted light which pierced through the clear-glass water. The fish were common only to the river itself, but had begun to migrate further down the other pony- and deer-made rivers. It would not be long, Cordial thought, until they were all over Equestria. The idea made him smile. His nose dipped into the water and a fish swam up and nipped it. He threw back his head away from the fish and shook it, his mane getting messier in the process.

“What are you doing?”

Cordial jumped at the sound, scaring the fish into a frenzy, and fell into the river's ice-cold water plot first. “Ouch!” He landed on dozens of small and sharp rocks.

“Uhm... Cordial?”

Cordial looked up to see Faded on the bank of the river. “Hey, Faded. I was just looking at the fish.”

“I see that... Cold in there?”

“Only a little.” Cordial's butt was freezing in the water, but it felt nice after being jabbed by the rocks below him. The ones that were still jabbing him. He noticed them again and clambered out of the water, his hooves almost slipping on some of the rocks. “What are you doing out here?” asked Cordial.

“I came out for a walk,” Faded replied. “It will be getting dark within another hour or so and I wanted to watch the sun set away for the night.” Faded had a thing for darkness and dreariness. Cordial remembered then that Faded came out most nights to watch the sun set. “Would... you, umm... like to come watch with me?”

“Yeah, I'd like to.”

“Awesome.” Faded started to slowly trot away, Cordial following close behind and taking him up on his right side.