• Published 15th Apr 2015
  • 1,166 Views, 4 Comments

Phases of the Moon - Kipakuta



Princess Luna's return and adjustment to modern society.

  • ...
 4
 1,166

Rising Crescent

"Halt," Luna called out to Lime, as the unicorn maid passed by her. "Dost thou have a spare moment of time?"

Lime turned and bowed. "I apologize, your Highness, but I have a full day today."

"Very well, Maid..."

"Lime Sherbet, your highness."

"Maid Lime. We shan't cause thee to tarry." Lime rose then continued of her path. Luna headed down a side corridor, then knocked on the third door on the left.

"Come in." A voice called from within. Luna did so. "Princess Luna, how may I be of service?" Sandy Spurs greeted.

"Chancellor, We do wish to submit a proposal." She levitated a pair of scrolls from a small saddlebag.

Sandy Spurs reached out for the scrolls. "I must say that your spell-casting has shown vast improvement over the last week."

Luna smiled. "I do thank thee. We could barely lift a teacup when we first returned, and now it is but a trifle to write documents."

Sandy nodded, then broke the seal on one scroll. "So let's see what your Highness wishes, Looks like you want to bestow an honor on somepony."

"Indeed we do." Luna grinned. "One that we do think worthy of such an accolade."

Sandy Spurs' smile waned slightly as she read the rest of the proposal. "This is technically correct, and legally sound, but I'm not sure if the Parliament will approve."

"Why would they not?" Luna asked. "Posthumous honors have been awarded before. And this pony did perform a valuable service for the Nation."

Sandy pointed to the date of passing. "First, Sugar Beet has been at rest since 863. Secondly, you wish to honor them for an invention of a food item?"

Luna indicated the second scroll. "We have written our case in great detail, in order to persuade the Parliament."

Sandy Spurs opened the second scroll. In addition to a large essay, there were graphs and charts drawn in the scroll. "I can't fault your research, or your findings and conclusion."

"Perhaps this would persuade thee?" Luna produced a doughnut from another compartment of her saddlebag.

Sandy Spurs snickered. "This could constitute bribery your Highness, but I see why you would want to honor Sugar Beet for inventing the things." She accepted the pastry, and bit off a chunk. "I approve. And your proposal will be accepted for consideration as well."

"Many thanks, Chancellor." Luna exclaimed, resisting the urge to cheer. After a quick exchange of pleasantries, She departed.

- - -

Luna stared up at the ceiling over her bed. Scattered on the floor were magazines and activity books. "Tis most vexing," She grumbled. "I do understand the purpose of crosswords, but the enjoyment is spoiled by having to research the answer for many of the clues." A knock on the door interrupted her reverie. With a grunt, she rolled off the bed, adjusted her regalia, and called out. "Enter."

The door opened, and Lime Sherbet stepped in. "Your Highness, it's time for the afternoon cleaning."

Luna motioned to the clutter. "These pamphlets have lost their novelty, yet there are still activities to do. If Thou wishes, thou mayest take them. For thine own pleasure, or to share with the rest of the staff."

"Looking for a new hobby, your Highness?"

Luna sighed. "Aye. Do tell us, What does thou do when thou art not in service as a maid?"

Lime rubbed her cheek. "Maybe what you need, is to get out of the castle. Tell you what. Why don't you put in a request for an outing and an attendant, and explore the city."

Luna nodded. "A most welcome suggestion. We do thank thee, Maid Lime."

Lime nodded, then began scooping up the discarded magazines. Luna left and headed to the castle gate.

- - -

Ravens' Curio Castle -often called 'Ravens,'' or 'Arcees'- was part of a small, yet very prestigious franchise. With her wings disguised by a spell, Luna entered the foyer of a four story building that took up a full city block in the Second Terrace Commercial District. A large portion of the building was essentially a giant mall, where toys of all kinds were put on display. Substores could be found along the sides of each floor, showcasing toys by franchise, theme, or genre, while books and comics dominated the top floor. Access between the floors was aided by glass elevators, ramps and pony-movers.

The store staff included personal attendants, who would act as tour guide and pack mule, offering suggestions based on stated interests and budget concerns. One of them approached Luna as she passed into the store proper. "Pardon me miss. will you need somepony to assist you today?"

"Hmm? no, we-I, merely wish to peruse these goods. I did not bring any coinage."

"We accept credit and personal checks." The attendant said.

Luna waved the pony away. "This is purely a research visit. I am in need of a new hobby, and I might not want what I find."

"Ravens'. is Equestria's number one company for toys and games," The attendant replied. "You can browse one of our catalogs." He motioned to a stack of tome-like magazines. "Our mini shops also have test displays for customers, so you can get a feel for the product."

"I do see many toys displayed already." She motioned to a shelf holding boxes of action figures.

The attendant glanced over, then back to her. "I meant unpackaged pieces, that you can pick up and play with."

"But would you not be able to sell it, were it to break from so much use?"

"Part of the cost of the business." The attendant replied.

Luna nodded, then began to wander the store.

- - -

A stern white pegasus was staring at Luna as she exited the store. "You should come with me back to the castle." He stated

"Hmm? Destrier Stare, We were only here for-"

"Five hours. When it was discovered that you had gone missing, Princess Celestia put the Royal Guards on alert, sent out patrols, and ordered missing pony posters with your picture," The Destrier said. "I figured that this would be a likely destination for you, so I had it staked out."

Luna slumped. "Why didst thou not enter if thou wast so sure we were here?"

Golden Stare took to the sky. Luna undid the spell that obscured her wings, and took off after him. "I'm not sure why I hesitated. Maybe because I know how fun this place is for a kid. No offense your highness."

"We do take none, Destrier." Luna replied. The pair landed before an assembly of guards. Two of the guards took position on either side of Luna, and escorted her to the main throne room, while Golden Stare followed.

Seated around a large table were Celestia, Chancellor Sandy Spurs, the leaders of each military branch, and the Chief of Canterlot Police. "Your Majesty!" Golden stare called out.

Princess Celestia stood up. "LUNA ARTEMECIA GAIETY CLOVER!" Luna flinched and lowered herself to the floor. "WHERE IN TARTAROS HAVE YOU BEEN?"

"I found her at Arcees'" Golden Stare replied.

Celestia exhaled. "The toy store. of course."

"Mercy Tia," Luna squeaked. "I did merely want to find a new hobby, I did not mean to make you worry."

Celestia teleported to Luna and scooped her up in a hug. "Thank the Elements that you're alright. I thought someone foalnapped you." The rest of the assembled ponies looked around nervously. "At least check in with somepony next time."

"I will, Sister."

"Your Majesty." The Naval Admiral began. "Since we have Princess Luna in custody, shall we cancel the alert?"

"Oh yes, Stand down. At ease everypony. Cancel the alert."

There was a quick flurry of activity as places were cleared, and the leaders headed back to their respective offices. Chancellor Spurs fetched some of the palace staff to put the table away, while Shining Armor lead Golden Stare to be debriefed.

Celestia eased up on her hug. "Did you find anything interesting?"

"A question, dear sister."

"What is it, Luna?"

"Were you really planning to go to war over mine absence?"

Celestia nodded. "I didn't know if the dragons, gryphons, or even zebras, had gotten a hold of you."

Luna shivered. "Were I in your hooves, I would do the same." She said quietly.

The pair headed to the dais. "I know," Celestia said. "I still want to hear about your outing though."

"Aye." Luna settled on a low padded bench next to the throne. "I did find many things that I desired, but I did not have any means of payment." She took a catalog from her saddlebag. "I would like to share with you, the novelties that catch my fancy."

Celestia seated herself on the throne. "While you can order by mail and wiretalker, I'm hesitant to allow you to do so."

"Do have The Chancellor present me with a budget." Luna suggested. "That way you may monitor my funds."

- - -

Princess Cadance placed a ledger on the desk. "I have read through a dozen or more manuals of style, and I think I reverse-engineered a good lesson plan."

Luna opened the ledger. "Lesson one. Do, did, done?"

Cadance took a breath. "I noticed that you use 'I do', or 'I did' frequently. This creates a lot of redundancy." She levitated a posterboard onto an easel. "It also takes up time. So my first focus is to shorten your speech."

"I do appreciate-"

"Ah. ah. ah."

"I appreciate this honest approach, and I shall endeavor to better myself," Luna said. She looked back to the page. "I do feel that this approach would greatly vex my tutors of old." She grinned to Cadance.

"Please read to me, the eight phrases on the first page."

"I. Jump. I, run. I climb. I eat, I fly, I speak, I stand, I listen, I laugh!" She immediately did so.

Cadance joined in. "I think you're getting it."

"Aye, I understand." She took Cadance's hooves with her own, and danced. "I am not the one who does. I am the 'Do.'"

"The Do-er. Actually." Cadance said.

"The Do-er." Luna replied. "The doer of these actions. 'Tis I. I declare, mine intent."

Cadance gently guided Luna back to her seat. "I also included several more pages of verbs to practice on. Both present and past tense."

Luna eagerly recited the pages for the present tense verbs. The past tense verbs were treated with a little more care, since they included an extra vocal sound. "Tis wondrous not to have the words 'do' and 'did' be so omnipresent."

Cadance sat next to Luna. "Yeah, he was a bit of a busybody, wasn't he?"

"Whom?"

"'Do'."

"What be my task?"

Cadance tittered. "I included a primer on the proper use of 'do' and 'did.'" She turned to another page.

"'Tis still of use then," Luna scanned the page. "So he still retains functionally. But is not otherwise such a minder."

"Yeah, he's a busybody word." Cadance smirked.

"The kind of word that peers over your shoulder, and listens in on your conversations." Luna said

"Snoops through your mail, and peeks in your windows." Cadance added.

"It watches you while you sleep." Celestia said. Both Cadance and Luna flinched, then turned slowly to find Celestia behind them.

Luna crossed her frontlegs together. "Celly. I heard not when you entered."

"I did hear laughter coming from this room."

"Tiaaaaaaaaa."

- - -

Cadances' language tutoring proceeded slowly, as Luna had mixed opinions about the lessons.Sometimes she took a week or more to pick up on the concepts. Other times she got the gist almost immediately. A few lessons were even discarded as they caused much discomfort. By Winter Wrap-Up, she had eased into a more flowing manner of annunciation, yet still retained comfortable affectations.

""What is to be this weeks lesson?" Luna asked, as Cadance entered her room.

"Today, we're going to do some fieldwork," Cadance replied. She levitated a pair of badges. "I've arranged an outing, just for the two of us."

"Have we a destination?"

"Pardon?" Cadance fastened one of the passes to Luna's saddlebag.

"Do, we have a destination." Luna said, grimacing slightly.

"Nope. We're just going to wander around, and listen in on others."

"Eavesdropping on other ponies? Would they not take offense?"

"Maybe, but the goal is twofold. First, it'll help establish your presence. Second, you can get a feel for how the casual pony speaks.

"Too long have I been an extra in this production. Come, dear niece, whilst I step out, and claim some of the spotlight for mine own self." She exited the room and strode along the halls. Cadance followed.

"Do you have any plans for the Grand Galloping Gala?" Cadance asked as they passed the gate guards.

"Aye. I plan to have a wild night of debauchery, as they had in the days of old. The drink will flow freely, along with the passions. May it lead to racous brawling, or inspired oratory contests. Afterwards, may the nobility retire to their chambers, to partake of belly sports." Luna punctuated her statement with a cackle.

"Or maybe we could hole up in your room, with a carton of Jenn and Berry's, give each-other hooficures, and talk smack about my cousin, slash, your nephew."

"You also disfavour him?"

Cadance rolled her eyes. "When I ascended, I put a lot of time and effort into bettering myself, to be the best I could. Though I have the title of Princess, I feel that I need to live up to it. He was born into his title, but he is a dandy and a clown."

"I do not know this term 'Dandy' but I would not disparage the noble profession of the harlequin." Luna replied as they crossed the stone walkway. "In the time before, the royal jesters were the ones who could speak openly and honestly with Celestia and myself."

They took flight, with Cadance leading the way over the city terraces. "I think he just uses the title as a means of getting mares and sycophants"

"Aye," Luna nodded. "There be no shortage of those who wish to be on his staff." She and Cadance shared a laugh.

"That looks like a good spot." Cadance pointed to a plaza near one of the inter-terrace ramps. "Lot of ponies there. We can have a meet and greet.

"Let us go to them."

- - -

The bell attached to the door jingled, signaling the arrival of a customer. Donut Joe glanced over. "If it isn't my new number one customer." He greeted.

"Aye!" Luna said with a smile. "We bring tidings of gladness." She levitated a scroll over to him. "With some minor changes, The Parliament has approved the award ceremony that we wish to hold."

Donut Joe took the scroll and unrolled it. "Venara 12th of this year." He rolled the scroll and passed it back to her. "So it's in the back-end of summer. Great, That gives me an idea."

"We have noticed that Winter and Summer have back-ends, yet Verna and Autumn do not."

Donut Joe snickered. "Yeah. I guess it's cause it doesn't get uncomfortably hot or cold in Spring or Fall."

Luna nodded, turning her attention to a display case. "What be thy idea? Thou art already scheduled to cater the event, for obvious reasons, of course."

"Perhaps I can include shakes as well," Joe levitated a set of tongs and a pink striped paper bag. "Something to help ponies stay cool."

"Thou could flavor them similarly to thy pastries," Luna indicated a large brownie square, with white icing. "Cinnamon vanilla, red and blue berry, chocolate with fudge."

"I'll experiment." Joe said as he bagged the brownie square. Luna passed him three bits then took the bag, "Iced coffee is another rising trend, and some ponies might enjoy that instead."

"Coffee, Perhaps that is a subject with which We should become familiar," Luna mused. "We bid thee a good day, Artisan."

"And a good night, too. Princess." Joe said. "The stars are looking lovely these days,"

"Thank you, Artisan Joe."

- - -

Captain Shining Armor stood at Lunas' side, as she surveyed the assembled group of Diamond Dogs. "Explain to us again, what this entails."

"Yes, Um, Princess," One of the Dogs began. "It has long been a tradition that 'Rolling Over' is a term of unconditional surrender."

"And why do the Colonies wish to Surrender?"

Another of the dogs stepped forward. "Well, one of our eastern colonies, fell into the bad habit of pupnapping ponies. Normally that is not a cause for concern, but the last pony they took, turned out to be...very important."

"Thou refers to the Bearer of the Element of Charity; Rarity Belle," Luna said. "We would accept the one colony's surrender, but why the rest?"

"Because we were lax towards our rogue members. We condoned their behavior, and we need to accept responsibility."

"And thou hast no concessions to ask? No negotiations? Thou wouldst accept becoming a vassal state?"

"We have legends about the Sun Princesses ferocity, when dragons and gryphons invaded. And as smaller, weaker predators, we could not hope to stand up to her."

"Do not let it be said that Dogs are not smart." Luna said. She place her hooves on the table, pushed herself up, and looked down at the group. "Princess Celestia bears the unofficial title' The Shield of Equestria.' This is why Saddle Arabia is an ally, instead of a Duchy proper. The land was given up by the dragons, as a peace offering. Yet Princess Celestia does not claim it under her authority." She lowered herself, to look into one Dogs' eyes. "I, am the Sword, of Equestria."

The Dog averted her gaze. "We ask for nothing in return." She said.

"Very well then." Luna stepped back. "We accept thy surrender. Of course, Sister will still need to sign the treaty, then the Parliament will need to review it." She levitated a quill, and signed the document in the middle of the table. "Until such time as we meet again, I bid thee a good day, Citizens."

Shining Armor trotted after her. In the hallways, he spoke. "Permission to speak freely, your Highness."

"Granted, Captain."

"What the hay was that?" He snapped.

"We were just making sure that they understood where they stood."

Shining Armor removed his helmet. "It was a complete surrender, there was no need to press them further."

Luna stopped and looked to him. "I merely stated facts. I did not make any empty boasts."

"We don't do sword-point diplomacy." Shining Armor replied.

"Captain Armor, Were it thy sister who was foalnapped and forced to mine gems underground, how wouldst thou feel?"

"Honestly? I'd be pissed, But I'd be professional." He emphasized the last word.

Luna slowed her pace. "Professional, yes. Perhaps we did overdo it."

"We, didn't overdo it. You did." He sighed, then donned his helmet. "Listen, Princess. I get that you want to get back into business, but you can't be steamrolling everyone and everything."

"Captain Armor, please return to thy post, while we take they words into consideration." They exchanged salutes, then the stallion departed. "Perhaps you are right." She said quietly. "If sister can learn to be aggressive and forceful, then may I, in time, learn patience and restraint."

- - -

"It's a very odd phenomenon." The Sergeant explained, as Luna accompanied him and his a squad of solders. The stood at the base of a hill. "It bleeds a little bit into Loshka, Pomarania and Carenia. but it doesn't extend much past the border of your former lands."

"And it has not changed much?" Luna asked.

"Its fluctuated in intensity, but it hasn't grown or shrunk at all in the Abeyance." The Sergeant replied."We've marked the border where it begins." They began a casual walk up the hill.

"What shall we expect?"

"As we cross into the Maelstrom, it hits you all at once. No warning, no buildup. It's nothing, then Bam!"

"And what be the result of 'Bam?''"

"The majority of first timers say that they feel claws or something, reaching into the flesh and scraping their bones. A scientific explanation is that it's a mana siphon of some sort."

"Majority, as in, not all ponies?"

"Right." The Sergeant motioned to his tail. "Those of Roani descent, report that their magic is completely shut off. Unicorns can't cast, Pegasi can't fly, and Earth Ponies say that the ground itself cuts into them."

"The Roani. The ones upon whom we bestowed Our Blessing," Luna said. "As the mana lines were attuned to Us, the natural tendency is to seek out the resonance of our magic."

"Shall we abort then?"

"Nay, We trust in thee to aid and support us." Near the peak of the hill, there was a distinct odor of ozone. The whirling air was tinged with a blue-white light, that seemed to color everything. As Luna passed into the Maelstroms' area, it felt like a horde of cats lashing out and sinking their claws into her. She cried out and collapsed. The soldiers quickly dragged her back out of the Maelstrom, where the sensations abruptly vanished.

"Your Highness?" The Sergeant bore a look of concern. Luna blinked her eyes a few times, then tried to stand up. "Remain prone, you don't look well."

"We, will be fine." Lunas' voice wavered.

"Sarge, I think you better take a look at this." One of the soldiers pointed at the Maelstrom. Spreading out from where Luna had been, was a small but growing bubble, where the tinge faded and the air seemed calmer and less turbulent.

"We'll worry about it later. Get the Princess to the med tent." The Sergeant stated. The rest of the Squad jumped into action. Luna was placed on a stretcher and carried down the hill.

- - -

"MOONY!"

Luna quickly sat up on her bed. That loud shrill voice, the irreverent name, the sheer audacity. There was only one creature in all of existence who could get away with such behavior. The weight at the foot of her bed drew her attention. The thing at first appeared to be a giant hyena, but its' barrel seemed to be stretched out several times the normal length. The front legs resembled those of a tiger and an ostrich, while the hind legs bore a scale-covered grasping paw, and an even-toed hoof. Extending past the hips, was an impractically long, fluffy tail with bands of brown and black fur.

"Ringtail, what cause brings you to mine abode?" She asked the strange composite creature.

"When I heard that my dear friend wasn't feeling well, I took time out of my busy schedule," The creature took an appointment book from behind an ear and flipped through it. "To come visit." The book was snapped shut, then tossed aside. "And here I find you alone in your room, and in such a dreadful state that you can't even leave your bed."

Luna allowed herself to flop back onto the pillow. "Aye, tis the result of having my mana drained," She said. "I was ill-prepared for the effects of the Maelstrom."

"You haven't coughed, have you Moony?" The creature crossed the bed and placed its' talon on Luna's forehead. "That's always a bad sign. It means that your demise is imminent and inevitable."

Luna chuckled. "Nay, the physicians assure me that my vital force will recover. In a weeks' time, I will be able to once again display mine ephemera." She shifted position, allowing her friend to settle next to her.

"Let me tell you about tonight's Gala," Fortuna spoke. "Flying pies. A cake-apult. Broken glass on the stairs. Rrrrrram-paging, butterflies." She pressed nose to nose with Luna. "And you know that statue that you don't like? The one that makes you look like an anemic peasant?" Luna nodded. Fortuna reared back, balancing on her tail. "Say goodbye to it! Because after tonight, you're never seeing it again!"

"Have done," Luna cheered. "Your sanguine temperament has spread to me as well. I am greatly anticipating this playout of events that you have planned."

Fortuna bowed. "It's not my arrangement, Moony. It's courtesy of Sun Butt."

Luna giggled. "Did Celly give you this task?"

Fortuna ruffled Lunas' mane. "I work with what I'm given. She invited five verrrrrrry special ponies," She counted off using the digits of her paw. "A farmer, a baker, a tailor, a herder, a meteor."

"I know of the first four professions," Luna tapped her cheek. "But is not a meteor, a rock that has fallen from the sky to the ground?"

Fortuna shrugged. "Flies through the sky, crashes into things, What else would you call a pony who acts like that?"

"Good sooth, dear friend," A knock on the door drew their attention. "State thy business." Luna called out.

The door opened and Lime wheeled a cart into the room. "I brought your dinner, Your Highness. Are you feeling up to eating? I could come back in a little while."

""We bid thee to bring the cart to our bedside. We are indeed feeling peckish."

Lime brought the cart over, then took the covers off of the dishes. On the top shelf, was a plate of steamed carrot slices, a bowl of chickpea soup, a slice of buttered Perch bread, and a decanter of orange juice. The middle shelf held a set of silverware rolled in a cloth napkin, and an empty glass. "I also overheard you talking. Should I fetch a nurse?"

"Nay, We have a guest, an old friend." Luna replied.

Lime slowly gazed around the room. The floor was covered with rugs and carpets bearing various hues of blue and purple. On one side of the room, a large writing desk took up space next to the doorway. Luna's bed was placed close to the rear of the room, aligned so that the sun didn't shine directly on it when the curtains were open. A small end table next to the head of the bed held a radio, an analogue clock, and a lantern. At the foot of the bed was a large wooden chest containing a few toys and games that Luna had bought.

On the other side of the room, a large vanity was placed against the wall, with a few open containers of make-up still resting on the table. Next to it was a long, dark purple plush couch. A few books rested on the floor in front of the couch. Doors in the side walls lead to a walk-in closet and a bathing room. Other than Luna and herself, Lime didn't see anyone else in the room.

"Oh, I get it," She chuckled. "Its common for kids to create a friend to keep themselves company, and not unheard of for grown ponies to keep such a trait in their adult years."

Luna perked her ears. "Pardon?"

"I can't claim to be an expert in foal psychology," Lime said. "But I have a few books on the subject."

"Maid Lime. Art though wed?"

"Yes, " Lime Sherbet answered. "Happily married for the past five years to Princess Celestia's own room guard."

"And he would be?"

"Destrier Dark Skies." Lime said.

"Aye, I recall that name." Luna nodded.

"Will there be anything else, Your Highness?" Lime asked.

"Nay, We are fine for now."

Lime nodded, then left, closing the door behind her.

"Impudent pony." Fortuna spat as she slithered out from under Luna's bed. "I am no mere figment of a foals wild imagination, I am the elder sibling of Discord. I was ancient when Equestria was founded. Mine eyes have seen the rise and fall of the great empires of the second age. I have brought greater ponies than you to ruination!" She looked to the cart. "You didn't even have to decency to bring us a chalice of drunkfruit."

"I am not allowed to partake of such fare." Luna said lifting her fork and scooping up a carrot slice. "The Physician claims that it would cause gastric distress."

Fortuna levitated and gave Luna a contrite look. "Moony, you really ARE sick. I've never known you to turn down drunkfruit."

"Ringtail. I thank you for your company. And I assure you that I will get better."

Fortuna opened the toy chest with her tail. "You have games, games with dice. I like dice."

"I will play with you, but no cheating."

"Moony, I don't cheat, cheating requires effort." Fortuna keckled. "I can't help if I get the results I like."

"I only ask for fair and balanced rolls."

"Ok, but I want to choose my token first."

"Deal." Luna held out a hoof, and Fortuna shook it with her tiger paw.

- - -

"CITIZENS OF EQUESTRIA, IT IS BOTH A SOLEMN DUTY AND A GREAT PLEASURE FOR US TO HOST THIS CEREMONY!" Luna stood at a podium within one of the castle receiving rooms. The gathering, numbering few more than two dozen ponies, were seated on rows of padded benches with low backs. "LET US FIRST BEGIN BY DECLARING OUR INTENT! HONORES BACULUS WAS DEVELOPED BY OURSELF AND OUR SISTER TO REWARD DISTINGUISHED SERVICE TO THE NATION. WHETHER IT BE TO THE LOCAL COMMUNITY, ONE OF THE ADMINISTRATIVE REGIONS, OR SERVING THE DIARCHY DIRECTLY, WE GIVE PRESTIGE TO THOSE WHO UPHOLD AND EMPOWER THE HARMONY OF OUR LAND!" Despite the assembly being seated in the first four rows, the Princess used a voice amplification spell, as though she were addressing a full audience. "ON RARE OCCASIONS, SUCH EXEMPLARY SERVICE IS NOT IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS! OUR GUEST OF HONOR, SUGAR BEET, HAS LIVED IN OBSCURITY AND HAS BEEN INTERRED WITHOUT RECOGNITION OF HIS CONTRIBUTION, THE FULL EFFECTS OF WHICH HAVE TAKEN THE BETTER PART OF TWO CENTURIES TO FULLY MANIFEST! ACCEPTING THE HONOR ON HIS BEHALF, IS HIS CURRENT LIVING DESCENDANT, BROWNIE BITES!" There was a short round of applause as Luna stepped to one side, and a blushing brown Earth Pony stood up. Her white and caramel-colored tail swayed lightly as she approached the podium, ignoring the flash of cameras from some of the assembly.

Once she was in position, she took a folder from her saddlebag, placed it on the podium, and opened it. "This is quite an honor." She began, trying to keep the nervousness out of her voice. "While my family has always quietly basked in the knowledge that my four times great grandfather invented the doughnut, we never anticipated this." She motioned around the room. "But well, here we are." She glanced over a a long banquet table, where numerous plates bore carefully arranged displays of doughnuts. "If Sugar Beet were here today, I'm sure he'd be crying tears of joy, because I certainly am." She sniffed, holding a hoof to her chest. "Thank you." She bowed low to Princess Luna, then rose again, as more photos were taken.

Luna presented a certificate bearing her signature. "This award is to confirm royal acknowledgement of the contribution that thine ancestor has made. The doughnut has made a significant cultural impact upon Equestria, both in terms of culinary experimentation and daily conduct. In sooth, the thought of businesses having meetings with a platter of fruit, or the constable going through their shift with crackers for their coffee, is inherently absurd." The assembly chuckled. "And yet we think nothing of this pastry acting as a repast for these occasions. And this," She levitated a pillow that held a rolled, sealed scroll. "Is the actual honor that We are bestowing upon thee. This scroll contains an enchantment that binds it to the pony who breaks the seal, so that they may recall it, and dismiss with a thought."

After stowing the folder and the certificate in her saddlebag, Brownie Bites took the scroll, then lifted the wax seal. The scroll dissolved into a wisp of light blue smoke that swirled around Brownie Bites, then seemed to seep into her. "So um, how do I make it appear?"

"If thou wishest to recall thine Honorarium, then imagine it appearing, and put effort into the thought, Focus thy will on where it is to be made manifest." There was a slight 'paff', then the scroll reappeared in front of Brownie. It levitated for a brief instant, then fell to the floor. Brownie blushed again, then picked it up and unrolled it.

The scroll contained a depiction of an upright staff. Sprouting from the top of the staff was a single leaf. Underneath the picture was a paragraph providing a detailed explanation. "So I have one distinguished ancestor." She said in a quiet voice.

"Aye." Luna replied. "And we do him a grave injustice by spurning his invention. Let us go now to the table, and partake." She lead the way, with Brownie following. The rest of the group left their seats to join.

Donut Joe, and a couple of ponies from the castle kitchens, were standing on the other side of the table, active as servers. As ponies would come by with plates, they would select which donuts they wanted, then a server would place it on their plate, and add a scoop of of selected toppings. Choices included whipped cream, sliced berries, chocolate, caramel, or maple drizzle, and chocolate, or rainbow sprinkles. At the other end of the table, two other servers would offer a choice of a customized shake or a blended coffee drink.

"I must say, that this is a most ingenious idea you had, Princess." Sandy Spurs told Luna. "And it should do wonders for your public image."

"I thank thee, Chancellor."

"Princess Luna, can I get a pic you and the Guest of Honor?" A photographer waved her over.

"Aye, If Dame Brownie Bites will agree to such."

"Of course!" Brownie chirped as she cantered over. She carefully stood up to get a proper pose with the Princess, then held still as the picture was taken. After the flash, Luna saw a rapidly fading streak of light blue and pink, spanning from the doorway to the table, then back out and down the hall.

"Such cheek!" Luna called out. "Such brazen action!" She chuckled. "We would have gladly shared."

"Princess Cadenza," Shining Armor approached, carrying a plated doughnut within his magic aura.. "I wish to present you with this," He levitated it closer.

Cadance accepted the plate. "Captain Armor, why is there a ring on this doughnut?" Luna, and the photographer ponies approached.

Shining Armor bowed deeply. "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, will you do me the great honor of marrying me?"

Celestia strode into the room. "And why should I allow this to happen, Guard Captain Shining Armor?"

Shining Armor removed his helmet. "Because I love her, with all of my heart. I believe that she deserves the best, and that I am that best. And she would also be gaining a wonderful sister, similar to her aunts."

"Thou seekest to lure our fair niece in with such flattery?" Luna loomed over Shining armor. The white unicorn looked up into her eyes.

"I mean every word of it, Princess."

"I accept." Cadance said.

"I propose a toast!" Brownie Bites lifted her cup. "Here's to Shining Armor and Princess Cadance."

"Aye." Luna raised her own cup. The sentiment was echoed by others.

"Who am I to blow against the wind?" Celestia said with a chuckle. " Captain Armor, Princess Cadance, I give my approval. Provided that we have more than just doughnuts at the banquet."

"Oh certainly." Brownie said. "Cakes are more suited for weddings anyways."

While the photographers were busy taking pictures of Shining Armor and Princess Cadance, Luna leaned close to Celestia. "Sister, You have something on your cheek."