• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 1,870 Views, 66 Comments

Canterlot High - A Magical Place - Rayli



Matt has just starting attending Canterlot High. He recently moved from out of town, and can't help but feel it's going to be a... magical experience. And he certainly is right, there's lots of magic involved. Possibly too much for even him.

  • ...
7
 66
 1,870

Chapter 3 - Friendship is Questionable

For the first time in his life, Matt felt unease. But it's not the first time he felt unease. It's the first time he was actually at a dance, with a girl. To make matters worse, he was somewhat interested in this girl. It seemed to be a prison, but one he could deal with for a long time. A very long time, in fact. And so, he simply waited. All of the girls were in the Carousel Boutique, in the bathroom specifically, and all he could hear was giggling. Twilight's Dog was no where to be seen, at least not in Matt's eyes. Normally he'd think about coding or science, but right now, all he could focus on was what he'd overheard the girls say when he first met them... or, when he first... heard them? They said something about magic, and that had piqued his interest. The only thing Matt could think about right now is why they said magic. Why did they say magic? It was clear to him that they were not nerds like he was, but instead, spread out through the... friendship rainbow? No... the pyramid? No... they were a plethora of things different. You had the egotistical sports girl, the farm girl, the hyper one, the shy one, the stuck up (some of the time) fashion one, and the nerd. Of course, there are way more friend types than that, but still. His point was made clear. It was obvious they had no feelings towards magic... or at least, no feelings towards it like Matt's. He just couldn't explain anything right now. In fact, he didn't even want to go to this little dance thing anymore. He wanted to... thoroughly study his whole life for a moment. Reflect to everything that happened so far. His parents' death, his living alone, the sudden friend group befriending him. Right now, nothing made sense to him. He just wanted to lay down, and go to sleep. He was starting to regret coming to this city. Sure Ash was here, but still! This place not only made him feel even more distanced from everybody else, it made his head hurt! He really wished he could get out of this place, for even a moment. It'd be nice to just go on a vacation... no, that's too grand. Maybe to even just stay home one day, and just play video games. Matt knows that'll never happen, however. He can keep dreaming, right? Oh well... he can. He'd started to wonder what made the girls take so long, but he soon realized that only 6 minutes had passed, not 20. Time really does go slow when you're bored, huh? For now, he'd have to be content with what he was 'getting'. If you could even call it a present. He didn't really know what to think of this new 'relationship' with Pinkie, and his new 'friends'. They were probably just using him for something. What? He had no idea. But something... it's not the first time that happened. Unfortunately. Now tired, Matt just rested in the chair, hoping to never wake up. Any time soon, that is.

"Get up, sleepy head!" He heard a voice say, a seriously chipper and happy voice. To his unease, Pinkie forced him up out of his chair.

"Wha... where? We gotta stop him..." Matt said in his dreams, still asleep.

"Hey, wait to wake him up. I wanna see what his dreams are". Rainbow said, happy to be able to tease him. To her surprise, the rest of them were fine with that.

"Yeah, they're... using me. I know it. It's all anyone's ever done. It's all you're doing... *takes breath*" Matt continued, in his sleep, spilling his insecurities.

"He thinks we're using him? Is he talking about us?" Twilight asked, curious to see what the other 5 think of his dreams. Unfortunately, they can't make heads or tails, until his next statement.

"Friends? You call... *slight pause* my friends? I don't, and never will have any! Friend *slight pause* ship is a lie. For me, at least" Matt continued, answering Twilight's question unconsciously. When Pinkie put him back on the chair, he woke up.

"Oh. Hello, mates." Matt said, unaware of what he just said.

"I have a question" Twilight asked, the others already knowing what she's going to say, and they advise her not to.

"Do you really consider us your friends? And I want the honest answer, Matt. Don't tell me any lies" Twilight finished, wanting to know he could at least do that.

"Honestly? No. I don't know what your angle or motive, or intention with me is yet, but I was hoping to at least find that much out. It was easy the last few times. What is your motive with me, exactly?" Matt bluntly said, not realizing the significance of what he just said.

"Why do you believe everyone has a motive, Matt? Why?!" Twilight asked, beginning to become upset with her new 'friend'. He simply answered her with this:

"Because it happens every time, Twilight."

"So things can never be different, Matt? Is that how it is? Things can never be different, or change?" She asked, thinking about Discord (this takes place before Tirek).

"No. I'm merely a tool that many people try to use. This is simply the way life is. Why wouldn't you want to use me? Why would you want me as your friend, Twilight?" Matt asked, asking the question that Twilight the same question that she herself had thought about for a while; Why did she want Matt as a friend? To expand, to make more friends? Is it because he looked like he could use some more? Was it out of pity? What had she gained from having Matt as a friend? Why did she want him around? As she looked confused, Matt was thinking about leaving right there, and right then. And so, he made his parting words.

"Goodbye. It was fun hanging out with you, even if it was temporary. And it was an honor to even be considered as your date, Pinkie Pie. Goodbye, fellers." Matt said, as he was leaving, which left a frown on Pinkie's face, and the rest, but even more so on Pinkie Pie. As he walked down the sidewalk, Twilight chased him, finally able to answer his question.

"I want to be your friend... because... you remind me of my former self; thinking friendship isn't important, when really, it is." Twilight revealed to Matt. Twilight, however, couldn't seem to read from his face whether he was moved by it or not.

Author's Note:

Well, Minkie was fun to play with. If Twi's efforts do not fail, I can continue playing with it! :D