• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 538 Views, 11 Comments

Reflections - Amethyst Flower



Luna just wants to be treated like the other princesses. But can anyone get over her past? No, they can't. And neither can Luna.

  • ...
3
 11
 538

Chapter 7. - Not the Same

"Princess Cadance, Prince Shining Armor, we may have a problem," Garnet reports.

Cadance and Shining Armor look at Garnet with confusion.

"Um, what sort of a problem?" Cadance asks, with concern. She wonders why Luna can't take care of any problems that there are. Maybe it is something that is out of Luna's control...?

Garnet clears her throat rather awkwardly. "Princess Luna..."

"Yes?" Cadance feels a little kick in her stomach. She still can't believe that there is actually a little life inside of her.

"...Well, after her speech she seemed to be quite light headed. She rushed for her room. I tried to stop her, but she didn't appear to hear me. Soon I hear her screaming and a shatter, and when I come in, her mirror is broken and she's lying, passed out cold, on the floor. I think she hyperventilated or something. I have no idea. Um... does Princess Luna really despise making speeches that much?"

Cadance is startled. All of this is very strange news to her. "What? Are you sure, Garnet?"

"Yes, your Magesty, I am sure. I saw her with my own eyes. She is with Doctor Purple Heart right as we are speaking," Garnet says.

Cadance is very concerned. There is only one time when Luna was ever like this, and it was after Twilight Sparkle and her friends used the Elements of Harmony, and when Luna became reformed. Luna would have sightings of Nightmare Moon (she said, anyways) and would hyperventilate rather easily. She blacked out a few times, too. Surely this wasn't happening to her again. Surely Luna was over the whole Nightmare Moon thing... Right? Well, maybe not. In fact, Cadance wasn't even sure if she was completely over it. A pony who was weak enough to let a nightmare like that take over their body had to be a very, very weak pony. And that meant, that it could happen again. At any given moment. Cadance didn't think that it would happen again, but you could never tell. Besides, there were secrets that Luna kept that not even Celestia knew about. Cadance knew it personally. Like that one time when Luna thought she might kind of like Shining Armor. Thank goodness THAT didn't last long!

"I want to see Luna as soon as possible," Cadance tells Garnet. "I must speak to her privately."

Garnet nods. "I thought you would."

"You are dismissed now."

Garnet bows low. "Yes, your Majesty."

Garnet leaves, and then Shining Armor looks worriedly down at Cadance. "Do you really think that she could be seeing Nightmare Moon again?" he asks.

"I don't know," Cadance says. "I'm really worried about her. I don't want to be horrid or judgmental or anything like that, but, you must admit, Luna isn't necessarily like the rest of us."

"Don't worry," Shining Armor says, though it is obvious he is concerned, himself. "Everything will be fine." He leans down and gently kisses his wife.

"Hopefully," Cadance says.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Twilight steps off the train with Spike at her side. She could have ridden in her royal carriage, but she is still not completely used to that thing. And being pulled by other ponies, well, stallions, is just too odd for her. She knows that she will probably get used to it eventually and then ride in it all the time, but this time, she decided to just stick to the train.

Before she had left, Twilight had written a reply to Luna's letter, telling her that she was right on her way and to be expecting her and Spike sometime soon, but yet not right away, as she had things to take care of in her own kingdom, quick before she would leave.

Now they are finally in the Crystal Empire, two days later. Twilight finds it rather odd that there is no welcoming party, or at least a couple of guards.

"Where is every pony?" Spike says, asking Twilight's unspoken question.

"Uh, I don't know," Twilight says.

"They do know you're coming, right?"

"Um, well, they should... We wrote Princess Luna a letter."

"Maybe she didn't get it," Spike suggests.

"No, I'm pretty sure she did," Twilight objects. "Maybe she just didn't send a welcoming party or anything, since she figures that I come here a lot because Cadance is my sister-in-law and Shining Armor's my brother... or something..."

"Or maybe she didn't send anyone because she doesn't know that it's royal custom."

"Spike!" Twilight scolds.

"What? You have to admit, Luna isn't exactly like all you other princesses and royals."

"Well, neither am I," Twilight says.

"Well, you also never became Nightmare Moon," Spike says. "Luna did."

"Don't talk like that about Princess Luna. Celestia forgave her a long time ago. And plus... it's just not kind!" Twilight magics her luggage and calls, "Come on, Spike. Just because we weren't greeted at the train station doesn't mean that they're not all waiting on us!"

Spike sighs. "Yes, Twilight." He hurriedly rushes after Twilight, who is now speed walking to the Crystal Palace.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Luna wakes up and things are hazy. "Wh-What happened...?" she moans.

A crystal pony that looks like a doctor says, "Well, your Majesty. It appears that you blacked out. We tried to wake you, but have not come to until now."

"How long have I been asleep?!" Luna gasps, still trying to grasp hold of her memories and thoughts.

"Mm, about... one and a half days."

"One and a half days?!!"

"Yes," the crystal doctor says. "I'm not entirely sure what caused your black out, but I'm thinking hyperventilation. Am I correct?"

"I... I can't remember at the moment... My brain is extremely foggy..." Luna says, with a moan.

And then she remembers. Everything comes flooding back like a giant, smothering wave. She had seen her in the mirror. Perhaps she is being paranoid, but she is sure that it was Nightmare Moon's reflection that she saw in her mirror. And then she had broken the mirror awhile screaming, and then she had felt this overwhelming darkness pushing in. And now she is in the Crystal hospital, lying on a crystal bed, being examined by a crystal doctor. And snap. She had been blacked out so she couldn't have raised the moon. Celestia is probably wondering why Luna is neglecting her 'nightly' duties. Drat the moon. Drat it all.

"Look, can I get out of here now? I feel fine," Luna says, truthfully.

"Are you sure? You said that your brain was still foggy," the doctor says.

"I feel perfectly fine now. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have important things to tend to," Luna says, getting up.

"Well, alright," the doctor says. He steps aside as Luna walks out of the room.

Luna rushes out of the crystal hospital, and realizes that she actually still feels a bit dizzy. She walks back to the Crystal Palace and is surprised to see Twilight Sparkle and Spike there arguing with one of the palace guards.

Oh, wait, Luna remembers, She sent me a reply letter! I completely forgot all about it! Oh, Luna, why are you so stupid?! Seriously, what is wrong with me?!


"Twilight, hello!" Luna greets the young princess, with an edge of panic in her voice.

Spike clears his throat.

"Oh, and Spike," Luna quickly adds.

"Princess Luna, why is it that no pony seems to be expecting me?" Twilight demands. "Didn't you get my letter?"

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry, Twilight. Yes, I did get your letter, but I never got the chance to read it. And a lot has been happening. I guess I blacked out and stuff and got put in the hospital. Yes, a lot has been going on! Um, why don't you come in the castle with me. Oh, and you too, Spike." Luna rushes into the palace with Twilight and Spike behind her.

"Blacked out? Princess Luna, what is going on? And what do you need help with?" Twilight stops. "Wait, ARE YOU SICK?!"

Some of the maids and guards stare.

Luna gives the young princess a very pointed glare. "No. I am not sick." To one of the maids she orders, "Please prepare a room for Princess Twilight Sparkle."

The maid nods. "Yes, of course, your Majesty." She quickly runs off to do Luna's bidding.

"Please tell me what you need my help with," Twilight says.

Luna sighs. "Patience is a virtue, Princess Twilight Sparkle. I will tell you later. Right now, I have some thing... that need tending to."

Twilight frowns but says, "Alright."

"The maid will show you to your room," Luna says.

Almost as soon as she speaks, the crystal maid comes rushing back.

"Come with me, Princess Twilight Sparkle and Sir Spike," the maid says.

Twilight and Spike follow the maid to their room.

Luna finds the nearest room -which happens to be the library-, locks the door, and collapses from exhaustion. Perhaps she left the hospital a little too hastily.

There, in the library, Luna tries to sort out all her mixed up, twisted thoughts.

Finally, after several hours, Luna decides to go talk to Cadance.

She should probably tell the princess what happened exactly. Rumors can be very alarming. And untruthful.

Luna finds Cadance's room and knocks on the door. Shining Armor opens it and, upon seeing Luna, narrows his eyes slightly. "Oh, come in."

"Um, hello, Cadance," Luna says.

Cadance gives her a small smile. "Hello, Luna."

"Look, I don't know what you heard, but I would like to explain myself."

"Go ahead."

"First of all, that speech gave me horrible memories. I was having bad flash backs, so I ran to me room. I saw Nightmare Moon in my mirror, and, um, I guess I freaked out a little."

Cadance nods but doesn't say anything. "Luna, may I ask you how often this happens."

"This is the first time in a very long time that anything like this happened," Luna says. "I'm sorry if I caused chaos or something. I promise that it will not happen again." Luna winces, as saying that is very familiar and brings back memories. Again.

"Alright. I believe you. I am sorry that this happened to you."

"Um... Luna... may I ask you why MY SISTER is out THERE, roaming the HALLS?!" Shining Armor asks, with wide eyes.

"Oh, about that..." Luna clears her throat. "I invited her here to help me figure something out..."

"Oh?" Cadance looks surprised.

"Don't worry about it, Cadance," Luna says. "I hope you have a good day." Then she heads out and faces Twilight.

"Excuse me, why are you roaming the halls, Twilight Sparkle?" Luna asks.

"Oh, I was just looking for you."

Luna nods. "Yes, well, I will talk to you about the problem later. Meet me on the highest balcony tonight, once you see the moon up. I need to show you something."

Twilight looks confused. "Um, okay. On the highest balcony after the moon is up. I've got it."

"Good. Don't be late. Or you might miss it." Luna heads to her room, leaving behind an even more confused Twilight.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________


That night, Twilight studies the sky very carefully, waiting for Luna to raise the moon. She's been waiting for what feels like forever to see what Luna wants to talk to her about, and she isn't about to be late.

Suddenly the moon appears in the sky.

"I've gotta go!" she says to Spike, as she rushes out of her door.

"Um, where are you going?" Spike calls after her.

"No time to talk now!"

After asking a crystal maid for directions to the highest balcony, Twilight runs as fast as she can so that she won't be late.

Twilight nearly crashes into Luna when she reaches the balcony.

"Watch it!" Luna hisses, nearly silently.

"So, what is it?" Twilight whispers, excited.

Luna makes the 'shush' motion and then points out at the crystal empire.

Suddenly Twilight sees something creeping out of the shadows. Then she realizes what they are. Ponies. Dark colored ponies. In the bright colored Crystal Empire. They all come out and look up at the moon, basking in it's white light. This is all very, very strange. Twilight has never seen anything like it.

"Who are they?" Twilight whispers.

"Wait a minute, what do you mean? That's what I was going to ask you. This is why I asked you to come. Don't you know who they are?" Luna asks, worry flashing across her face.

"Um, no, why would I?"

"But you know just about everything that there is to know... I thought... Never mind."

Twilight feels horrible. Like a failure. A horrible failure. "I-I'm sorry, Luna..."

Luna shakes her head. "It's fine."

But it's not. Not to Twilight. She swallows, trying to push the lump in her throat down.

"Let's go back to our rooms," Luna says.

Twilight nods and starts to head back inside the palace, but notices that Luna continues to watch the dark ponies. "Are you coming, Princess Luna?"

"Hm?" Luna asks, absentmindedly.

"Back inside, I mean."

"Oh, oh, yes. Of course. I'm coming." She turns to follow Twilight back inside, but glances back one more time.

Twilight feels even more awful. It is evident that Luna really wants to know who those ponies are -Twilight does too-, but there is really nothing Twilight can do.

Except...

"Luna," Twilight says, once they're back inside.

"Yes?"

"When I go back to my kingdom, I will do some research on those ponies and see if I can find anything," Twilight says.

Luna smiles. "Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. That would be wonderful."