• Published 19th Mar 2015
  • 2,026 Views, 46 Comments

Sunset's Five Long Nights - Starscreamerz628



What starts off as a simple summer job becomes a nightmare from Hell as Sunset Shimmer finds herself fighting for survival against a bunch of psychotic animatronics.

  • ...
14
 46
 2,026

The First Night

Chapter 2: The First Night

11:15 p.m.

As the clock wound closer to the appointed time of her shift, Sunset Shimmer was scrolling through the email that Mr. Fazbear had sent her earlier that day. She had also sent Fluttershy a text message asking her to give her a ride to the pizzeria. After shutting off her computer and putting her cell phone inside her bag, Sunset heard a knock on her door. The girl walked over to the door and puled it open to see Fluttershy standing in the hallway outside. She was wearing a light jacket, indicating that it was a bit cold outside.

“Hey Sunset,” the shy teen greeted, “Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah, just give me a second,” Sunset replied, grabbing her keys from the entrance table before closing her door and locking it. With that, the two girls walked out the apartment and over to Fluttershy’s car, which was parked against the sidewalk just outside the building. They got into the car, where Fluttershy put the key into the ignition and started the engine. With the vehicle activated, Fluttershy turned on the headlights and drove down the road. After a lengthy car ride, which wouldn’t have been so if not for an unexpected traffic jam, the two finally arrived at Freddy Fazbear’s so Sunset could begin her first night on the new job.

“Thanks again for the lift, Flutters,” Sunset said as she got her things and got out of the car.

11:30 p.m.

“You’re welcome, Sunset,” Fluttershy replied, “See you tomorrow morning.” With that, Fluttershy turned the car back on and drove back down the road, leaving Sunset facing the restaurant alone. Taking a deep breath and brushing a strand of hair away from her face, Sunset walked up to the front door and pushed it open before walking into the front lobby, where she saw Mr. Fazbear talking with a couple of employees. The manager heard the door open and saw Sunset standing behind the employees he was talking to.

“As, Ms. Shimmer,” he greeted with a smile, “Glad you made it.” He turned to the employees.

“You two are dismissed. Have a good night.” With that, the employees turned around and headed for the door, but one of them looked at Sunset with a face that Sunset could only describe as concern before he left. Turning back to the manager, Sunset walked over and shook his hand.

“I’m ready to get started,” Sunset said, anticipating any last-minute instructions. Mr. Fazbear smiled at the teen’s enthusiasm.

“Excellent, but before we go over the rules of the night watch, I need to ask you one thing,” Mr. Fazbear said, “What are your clothing and shoe sizes?” Sunset raised an eyebrow in response.

“I wear a women’s medium and size 6 shoes,” she replied.

“Good, that’ll save us time in finding the right uniform for you,” Mr. Fazbear said as he led Sunset down the hall to a back room. Upon entry, Sunset noticed a shelf lined with uniforms of varying sizes. Mr. Fazbear walked over to the shelf and took a bundle of clothing and a pair of black shoes from it. Turning back to Sunset, the manager handed her the items and pointed to her left.

“There’s a changing room over there,” he instructed as Sunset turned in the direction he was pointing in and saw a door, “Go ahead and get dressed, I’ll be waiting outside.” With that, he went and walked out the door, while Sunset went to the changing room. Ten minutes later, Sunset stepped out of the room to reveal her new uniform. It had a white shirt with a black tie, a blue vest with a security badge on it, black pants and black shoes. She also had a blue cap that read “Security” in yellow letters. After she put her day clothes in her bag, Sunset walked out of the room and back into the hall, where Mr. Fazbear was waiting for her.

“Alright, now what?” Sunset asked.

“Follow me, and we’ll get you settled into your new office,” Mr. Fazbear answered as he led Sunset to the security office she had seen the other day, only now it looked like someone had taken the time to properly clean it. The dust was swept up, the cobwebs in the corners were removed, and the scraps of paper were removed and thrown in the wastebasket. Sunset sat down on the chair in front of the desk and prepared for any instruction that Mr. Fazbear had to give her.

“Alright, the nightshift runs from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m.,” Mr. Fazbear explained, “You’ll be monitoring the security cameras in the restaurant to make sure that nothing happens after hours, like nothing or no one gets in or out. However, you can’t leave this office while on duty, so if you need to use the bathroom, now would be a good time.” With a quick nod, Sunset got up from the chair.

“Could you point out where the bathroom is?” Sunset asked.

“It’s down that hallway,” Mr. Fazbear said as he pointed to the door behind her, “The women’s room is the last door on the left.” Nodding, Sunset walked down the hall. A few minutes later, she retuned and sat back down.

“There’s nothing else that I have to say for you other than ‘good luck,’” Mr. Fazbear said as he and Sunset shook hands again, “See you in the morning.” With that, the manager walked out of the office and left the building. Once he was gone, Sunset placed her bag on the desk and leaned back in her chair, taking a moment to relax before the six long hours ahead of her commenced. Tiredness suddenly coming over her, the teen found herself closing her eyes and drifting off into a quick nap.

12:00 a.m.
1st Night

A loud ringing abruptly woke Sunset up from her nap as the girl frantically sat up, looking for the source of the sound. She eventually realized that it was coming from the telephone on the desk, and that there was a red light blinking on the console. Just then, a message began to play off the phone.

“Hello? Hello, hello? Um, I wanted to record a message for you to help you get settled in on your first night,” said a disembodied voice over the phone.

Well, that’s really nice, Sunset thought as she listened to the message.

“I actually worked in that office before you,” the voice continued, “I’m finishing up my last week now as a matter of fact. So, I know it can be a bit overwhelming, but I’m here to tell you that there’s nothing to worry about. Uh, you’ll do fine. So let’s just focus on getting you through your first week, okay?”

Sure, why not? Sunset thought as she took out a pad and pen from her bag and began taking notes.

“Uh, let’s see, there’s an introductory greeting from the company that I’m supposed to read. Kind of a legal thing, you know? ‘Welcome to Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza: A Magical Place for Kids and Grown-ups alike, Where Fantasy and Fun Come To Life. Fazbear Entertainment is not responsible for damage to property or person. Upon discovery that damage or death has occurred, a missing person report will be filed within 90 days, or as soon as property and premises have been thoroughly cleaned and bleached, and the carpet have been replaced.’” Sunset looked up from her notepad and widened her eyes in shock.

“What?!” Sunset asked herself as the message went on.

“Blah blah blah, now that might sound bad, I know, but there’s really nothing to worry about. Uh, the animatronic characters here do get a bit quirky at night, but do I blame them? No. If I was forced to sing those same stupid songs for 20 years and I never got a bath? I’d be a bit irritable at night, too. So remember, these characters hold a special place in the hearts of children, and we need to show them a little respect, right? Okay.”

“Okay,” Sunset replied in a shocked whisper, still getting over what she just heard a few moments ago.

“Just be aware, the characters do tend to wander a bit. Uh, they’re left in some kind of free-roaming mode at night. Something about their servos locking up if they’re turned off for too long. They actually used to be able to roam around during the day, but then there was The Bite of ’87. Yeah, it’s amazing that the human body can live without the frontal lobe, you know?” Sunset widened her eyes again.

Looks like that bite wasn’t just a rumor, Fluttershy, Sunset thought.

“Uh, now concerning your safety, the only real risk to you as the night watchman here, if any, is the fact that these characters… Uh, if they happen to see you after hours, they won’t recognize you as a person. They’ll, uh, most likely see you as a metal endoskeleton without its costume on. Now since that’s against the rules here at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, they’ll try to… forcefully stuff you into a Freddy Fazbear suit.” Sunset raised an eyebrow in confusion.

So if they see me, they’ll try to make me wear a stupid costume? That doesn’t sound so bad, Sunset thought. What the message said next, however, would completely turn those thoughts against her.

“Now, that wouldn’t be so bad,” the voice said, parroting Sunset’s words, “if the suits themselves weren’t filled with all kinds of crossbeams, wires and animatronic devices, especially around the facial area. So you can imagine how having your head forcefully pressed inside one of those things could cause a bit of discomfort… and death. Uh, the only parts of you that would likely see the light of day again would most likely be your eyeballs and teeth when they pop out the front of the mask.” Upon this revelation, Sunset felt like she was about to collapse out of her seat. Those things were trying to kill her?! And she signed up for this kind of job?!

What were you possibly thinking, Sunset?! The teen practically screamed the thought as the message went on.

“Y-yeah, they don’t tell you these kinds of things when you sign up. But hey, first night should be a breeze. I’ll chat with you tomorrow. Now, check those cameras, and close the doors only if absolutely necessary. Gotta conserve power. Alright, good night.” The recording ended, leaving Sunset in a state of shock, confusion, and terror. Without thinking twice, she quickly reached out for the tablet on the desk and turned it on, seeing the footage of the stage camera. All three animatronics were still on the stage, as they were when the day ended. Quickly taking a deep breath as she panned to the camera in the main party room, in front of the stage, Sunset began talking to herself in an attempt to calm down.

“Okay Sunset, you got this,” she said with attempted confidence, “That guy was just pranking you, trying to give you the willies. There’s absolutely no way that these things are alive,” she muttered. Her hopes, however, were dashed when she turned the camera back to the stage, only to see that Bonnie was nowhere to be seen. Sunset began sweating and began flipping through the cameras in hopes of finding him. Eventually she found him in the backstage area. The large purple rabbit was standing in the doorway, and was facing in the camera’s general direction.

“How the heck did you get there?” Sunset questioned, then she remembered something the guy in the message said something about them being able to walk around at night. Deciding that Bonnie was no longer an imminent threat, Sunset flipped the camera back to the main room, where she saw that Freddy and Chica were still on the stage. Sighing with relief, Sunset looked through the cameras in the supply closet and the bathrooms, finding nothing out of the ordinary. Deciding to retrace a few steps, Sunset turned the camera back to the stage, finding the other two animatronics were still in their places. The orange-skinned girl then turned the camera back to the backstage area. What she saw, however, caused her to cry out in fear and alarm. There was Bonnie, still in the backstage room… and he was staring straight into the camera up-close.

“What is this place?” Sunset asked in a hushed panic. This was going to be a very, very long night.

2:00 a.m.
1st Night

So far, things had been going absolutely hectic for Sunset. Two hours in and over a fifth of her power supply had already been used, Chica was now off the stage, and at one point, Bonnie had almost gotten into the office had Sunset not heard his heavy metal footsteps approaching and closed the door in time. Sunset was also thankful that she hadn’t had anything to drink before starting her shift, because she would’ve had to get a new uniform otherwise. But now she had her hands full with two animatronics roaming through the restaurant, her life hanging in the balance. Sunset opened the camera tablet to check the whereabouts of her new mechanical friends.

“Alright, all quiet on both sides,” Sunset said as she saw that Bonnie was in the dining area and Chica was in the restroom area. Sunset checked the other areas and saw that Freddy, as usual, was still on the stage. She then flipped to an area of the main room that seemed to be closed off by a curtain with a sign that said “OUT OF ORDER” in black paint.

“What’s back there?” Sunset quietly asked. She had seen that place a couple times during her camera scans, and her curiosity began to get peaked by its contents. Putting the camera down, Sunset reached over to the light button next to the door on her left to check if anyone or anything got too close for comfort. Pressing the button, a small light appeared in the hallway, but there was nothing in sight. Sighing with relief, Sunset performed the same procedure on the other side, and also saw nothing there as well. Picking the camera back up, Sunset scrolled through the different sections of the restaurant and saw that Chica had left the bathroom area and was standing in the entrance of the east hall.

“Come on, chicken girl,” Sunset challenged, “Let’s see what you’ve got.” Moving the camera positions, she saw that Bonnie was standing in the supply closet, his magenta eyes staring up at the camera once again. Sunset put the camera down and checked the light outside the hallway, and got quite a nasty surprise when she saw Chica standing right outside the window. Instinct now taking over, Sunset quickly reached up to the red button and pressed it down hard, causing a huge metal door to slide down in front of her, preventing Chica from advancing any further. She also noticed that the bird’s jaw was hanging down at a rather disturbing angle, and even revealed a second set of teeth in the back of her mouth.

“That must be part of the endoskeleton,” Sunset thought out loud as she saw the animatronic slowly turn and walk away. Turning the camera back on, Sunset saw that Bonnie was now back in the main dining area, Freddy was still on the stage, and Chica was back in the restroom area. Beads of sweat were forming on her brow as she looked back down at the power supply.

“Only 73% left,” Sunset muttered, “If this keeps up, I might end up running out of power. Better be careful.”

4:30 a.m.
1st Night

As the night progressed, Sunset’s trial against the animatronics raged on. She had stopped sweating, but the anxiety was still taking hold of her. Only 57% of her remaining power was left, and a big portion of that usage was preventing Bonnie from getting into the office for a second time. She looked at her watch and saw that she only had an hour-and-a-half left to get through the night. Picking up the tablet again, Sunset flipped through the cameras to check the feed. Seeing that Chica was back in the main dining area and that Bonnie was back in the backstage area, Sunset put the tablet down and took a moment to relax. Never before in her life had she ever been so scared.

“Never thought I’d be putting my life on the line for a simple paycheck,” Sunset thought out loud, “But I signed on to do all five nights of the job, and I’ll make sure I get it done.” After taking another deep breath, Sunset picked up the tablet again and turned it on, allowing her to see through the camera in the backstage area. This time, Bonnie was gone again. Shifting the feed on the cameras, Sunset found him standing in the dining facility alongside Chica, although the bird seemed to be leaving the area given how close it was standing to the camera. This time, though, Sunset already knew both Chica and Bonnie’s tricks and was prepared for them both. Deciding to flip the camera elsewhere for a bit, Sunset looked back at the curtained-off section of the main room. While nothing was happening there, it still interested Sunset to no end.

“What made them close that place off from the rest of the building?” Sunset asked before flipping the camera back to the main dining area. Bonnie was still there, but now Chica was gone again. Sunset quickly flipped through the cameras in the eastern hall, the restroom and the corner outside the door, but the robotic bird was nowhere to be seen. She then flipped through the cameras and came across a section of the building where the camera was completely blacked out with white letters that read “CAMERAS DISABLED – AUDIO ONLY.” Sunset was about to change cameras when she began hearing loud, metallic noises. From the sound of it, it almost sounded like someone was rearranging the tools and cookware in a room that Sunset immediately assumed was a kitchen. And since Chica was the only animatronic in that area of the building, Sunset pinpointed her location.

“What are you doing back there?” Sunset questioned as she lowered the tablet. Reaching over to the light button on the left, Sunset pushed it and looked down the hall, but saw nothing. She then moved to the one on her right and pushed it, but saw nothing there as well. However, since she knew that the animatronics were still likely to appear at any given moment, Sunset wasn’t about to take any chances. Flipping the camera back up, Sunset noticed that the noises stopped, which obviously meant that Chica was no longer in the room. Flipping cameras, Sunset saw that Chica was now next to the restrooms. If Chica was on the move, then Sunset knew that Bonnie would likely be moving as well. Changing cameras to the western hall, she now saw that Bonnie was standing at the end of the hallway, his silhouette barely visible under the dim light. Sunset realized that if both robots were entering the hallways at the same time, it meant just meant one thing: the two robots were trying to double-team her from both sides.

“Looks like they’re trying to come up with a plan,” Sunset said as she watched the robots get closer on both sides from the cameras. Eventually Sunset bolstered up the courage to approach the left side first. She reached out for the button when she heard a loud screech coming from out in the hallway. The sound practically made Sunset jump straight out of her seat as she pushed the door button just as she saw Bonnie dash toward her. Once the door slid shut, Sunset quickly wheeled over to the other side of the room and was about to push the door button when she heard a disturbing groan coming from outside the room. Sunset immediately knew that Chica was about to pounce, so she immediately pushed the door button on that side as well, causing another large metal door to slide shut in between her and the crazed animatronic outside. Sunset looked back at the camera tablet and saw that she now only had 42% power remaining.

“Looks like fending those creeps off had a bad side effect,” Sunset muttered as she heard the two robots walk away outside, “I can’t let something like this happen again.”

5:30 a.m.
1st Night

This was it. The home stretch, the final run. Sunset was more determined than she ever was all night to make it and get out so she could get home. Only 32% of her power remained, and she would make sure that at least 1% of it would remain by the time the shift ended. Picking up the camera tablet, Sunset shifted through the screens and saw that Chica was in the main dining area and Bonnie was in the supply closet once again. Sunset then flipped back to the stage camera and saw that Freddy, as usual, was still in the same place. This left her rather puzzled.

“The other two animatronics have been stalking around the place all night, yet Yogi over here hasn’t moved an inch at all,” Sunset pondered, and she was far from wrong. No matter how many times she checked the stage camera, Freddy was always in the same spot, but his furry pals were still roaming around the restaurant. That thought, however, was put on hold when Sunset checked the lights and saw Bonnie standing right outside her door. Yelping in surprise, she quickly reached over and slammed the door button down as hard as she could, causing the large metal door to slam down in front of the mechanical rabbit before he could get in and inflict grievous bodily harm on her. Another five minutes passed, and Sunset opened the door to see if the coast was clear. Sure enough, Bonnie was gone, but keeping the door closed like that reduced her power to 25%. Checking the cameras again, Sunset saw that while Bonnie was back in the main room, Chica was once again on the move.

“These things sure are persistent,” Sunset muttered as she found Chica standing in the restroom area. But this time, something was different about Chica. Sunset took a closer look and could’ve sworn she saw the mechanical bird twitching its head, like it was having a technical glitch or something. Creeped out by the footage, Sunset quickly lowered the camera and flicked on the lights to see if Chica was approaching. Seeing only a dark hallway, Sunset went back to the desk and looked at her watch. She only had ten minutes left before the shift was over and she could go home. Her musings were cut off, however, wen she heard a disturbingly familiar groan coming from outside her door. Adrenaline shot through her like lightning as she bolted over to the door and slammed it down hard, preventing the Chica from getting inside.

“Almost done,” Sunset said as she looked at her watch and saw that she only had five minutes left. Her power was only at 17%, but she was sure that she’d make it. She just had to hold out a little while longer. Turning on the light for good measure, Sunset saw that Chica was still standing outside the door, her beak hanging wide open and her magenta eyes fixed on her like a child eyeing a new toy. Sunset began sweating as she and the bird stared each other down for a minute before she turned around began walking away. Sunset looked at the tablet and saw that Bonnie was in the backstage room and that the power was now at 11%.

“You’ll be fine, Sunset,” the teen said as she looked at her watch. Just 90 seconds left. As the seconds ticked down, Sunset could’ve sworn she heard music coming from the hallway. Daring to place her ear close to the door, it sounded like the music in the party room began playing again. Just then, Sunset heard an electronic beep coming from her watch. She looked down at her watch and practically cried in happiness.

6:00 a.m.

Quickly picking up the tablet, Sunset saw that all three animatronics were now back on the stage, like nothing had ever happened. Wasting no time, Sunset picked up her bag and walked out of the door as quickly as she could and entered the front lobby, where she saw Mr. Fazbear unlocking the door. The manager apparently saw her, as his face lit up with a smile.

“Ah, good morning, Ms. Shimmer,” Mr. Fazbear greeted warmly, “I trust your first night went well?” Sunset’s left eye twitched slightly as she fought the urge to tell him the truth.

“Yeah, it went just fine,” the teen replied. Mr. Fazbear nodded and opened the door.

“You are free to go home now, since your shift is now over,” Mr. Fazbear said. Sunset didn’t hesitate to start moving forward, but stopping for a moment to take a quick glance at the animatronics. Shivering slightly as she stared at their dormant eyes, Sunset turned back to the door and began walking again.

“See you tonight,” Sunset said before she walked outside and closed the door behind her. Once she was outside the building, Sunset quickly took her phone out from her bag and dialed the number of the only friend she knew was awake at this time of day.

“Hey Applejack, I know this sound a bit short notice, but can you come pick me up from work?” Sunset asked when she heard her cowgirl friend answer the phone.

Sure thing, Sugar-cube,” Applejack replied, “Just let me get the address of the place from Fluttershy and I’ll come and get ya.

“Thanks, I really appreciate it,” Sunset said before saying goodbye and hanging up. If this was what she had to put up with at work, then this was going to be a very long week.

Author's Note:

Alright, first night on the job is complete and Sunset managed to make it out with dry pants! Yay! Now that that's out of the way, I just want to say how surprised and honored I am at how fast this story became recognized. Its popularity seemed to grow almost literally overnight. I gave Chica more of the spotlight than Bonnie because in the first game, she legitimately scared me more than any of the other three animatronics, particularly with her jaw glitch and the weird sound she makes. As always, read, enjoy, and don't forget to comment.