• Published 16th Mar 2015
  • 1,349 Views, 31 Comments

Into the Rift - DiscordsAdvocate



Earth is assailed by an unknown force that is causing random people to disappear. The human reality jumpers whom were torn from that world can do nothing to stop it, except one, who's only friend may give humanity a chance to be saved.

  • ...
7
 31
 1,349

Chapter 12 - A Walk Through the Fire

Tycho felt like he was on the other end of a burnt bridge. As he laid down on his couch massaging his forehead, he recalled what happened this afternoon.


“Tycho, please understand, we’re lucky none of us stood trial after all we did!” Twilight stated to the furious human.

“You think I give a flying fuck about that?!” Tycho shouted as he took a step forward.

El began to grip him by his left forearm as if trying to hold him back.

Tycho shoved off her hand with an elbow. “Back off!”

El remained stalwart and ready to grab the man in case he did something rash. Trace stayed by Twilight’s side, albeit standing one step closer while Spike hid behind Twilight.

“I did what you asked of me! I jumped here! I gave up my life back home!” Tycho stopped shouting, but still raised his voice.

“Tycho, she said, ‘for now.’” Trace informed gently. “That doesn’t mean it’s permanent.”

“You don’t think I hadn’t figured it out?!” The taller human retorted. “Your princesses locked it away, didn’t they?!”

Twilight frowned and looked to the ground, ears drooped. “She said it was too dangerous.”

“And when exactly will she release it back to you, Twilight?!” Tycho interrogated.

“Don’t blame her for this!” Eleanor spoke up as she stood nearer Tycho. “You’re angry, just like we have been when we lost it all.” El empathized.

“I deserve better than this.” Tycho sneered. “I’ve got people who love me back home and their dictators locked away the key back home!”

After Tycho was out of breath, Twilight spoke. “Yes, it is unjust, Tycho! I agree with you!” Twilight was visibly upset. “It's not fair! It's not fair Celestia and Luna get to decide your fate! It’s not fair they left me to give you the bad news! And it’s not fair you gave up everything only to be given so little back!” She said walking up to Tycho. “It’s not fair I helped save your world only for my mentor to not trust me as she used to.” She was on the verge of crying.

Tycho’s anger stalled as he stared into dark space. “She’s your mentor?” He asked.

Twilight nodded. “Since I was a little filly, she was like a second mother. She taught me about magic, friendship, and helped me be the pony I am today.” She sniffed. “And I used everything I learned from her to help you and the humans. When last we spoke, it didn’t go over well.”

Trace nodded. “Tycho, Celestia doesn’t trust us ‘jumpers,’ very much. With the exception of Steelskin, the rest of us seem to make her nervous.” He explained annoyed. Not at Tycho, but the situation he just described.

Twilight shook her head. “I told her they deserve the same regard as anypony because you are all good people.” She took a deep breath. “And because I’m an Element of Harmony, it was my duty to help you even if it was dangerous.”

Tycho let that sink in. “And she took all your research and locked it away for the good of Equestria. Why?”

But that question, Twilight couldn’t fully answer. “I told you, Celestia deemed it was too dangerous.”

Tycho could sense Twilight wasn’t being fully forthcoming. How bad could this danger get? Especially since they succeeded on their first try!

“I won’t give up trying to convince her to let us use it, Tycho. But I can’t make any promises when it might happen,” Twilight finished.

Trace knelt down and wrapped his arms around her. Spike ran up to Twilight and joined in the hug. Both pony and elf pulled him in close.

“Tycho, I heard earlier you had a bad interaction with Matthew.” Eleanor stated. “I understand if you aren’t in the mood to speak about it, but please consider having someone professional to talk about this.”

“A therapist.” Tycho grimaced.

“Tyke, me, Matt, Steel, Alex; we’ve somehow scraped a life for ourselves here. With all we been through, I am surprised we didn’t join hands and jump into a volcano.” Eleanor frowned.

Trace lifted his head from Twilight as everyone in the room heard a familiar voice downstairs. “Dad! Mom! I’m home!” Said the voice of Fei.

Trace got up and made his way toward the stairs. “Excuse me,” He said as left the room

“But there isn’t anything we can say to make the trauma of your situation better.” Eleanor put two friendly hands on Tycho’s shoulders. “You should go to the clinic tomorrow and schedule with them. Weyul or Miss Introspective are the best. They can help you a lot.”

Tycho didn’t respond. He pocketed his glasses and slowly walked downstairs, passing by Fei as she ran upstairs to see her adoptive mother and brother.


That was it, Tycho concluded. He was stuck here. Even if he could find a way to get back, it’d take too long. He wouldn’t have much of a life to go back to, would he? He’d be lucky if tomorrow Twilight would continue to help him get work. He should probably go back to apologize. Probably too late. Maybe tomorrow, Tycho tiredly thought.

It was evening while Tycho was deep in his thoughtful depression. He didn’t hear someone knocking at his door.

Tycho couldn’t think of how he’d respond to even half of these messages right now. He needed a stiff drink and headed to his fridge. Thankfully, his friend stocked booze there. He opened a beer and heard the door knock again.

“It’s unlocked!” he called from where he sat.

The door opened and Alex walked in. “Damage control. Here to let you know I helped smooth things over.”

“Why do I have a feeling you do that a lot?” Tycho took a big gulp.

“I’ve been called a diplomancer by other roleplaying geeks here.” Alex approached his friend.

“They have roleplaying games here?” Tycho asked.

“Oubliettes & Ogres .” Mr. Roberts answered. “We got room for another player, y’know.”

Tycho shook his head. “At this rate, Al, I’m gonna be a as messed up as you guys.”

Alex frowned and sat down next to Tycho. “I know every emotion you are experiencing, Tyke. I’ve been there. And I know why. Us ‘interdimensional refugees’ understand it because we’ve been living it.” He leaned back as Tycho sat down. “And I made sure the ponies, Gryphons, Donkeys, or anyone of this town got into their heads not to judge any of us for it. They may not know how to address it, but they don’t think your troubles are a fault in your character.”

Tycho said nothing and felt it all welling up in him. “The fuck am I supposed to tell them, Alex? ‘Sorry, I’m not coming back. I’m in a children’s cartoon show?’”

Alex stood and put an arm over his his friend’s shoulders. “You tell them a lie, you’ll have the anxiety of maintaining that lie the rest of your life here. You tell them the truth, you won’t have that to deal with. Either way they will miss you and wish for you back.”

“Mom and Dad won’t buy it.” Tycho shook his head and emptied the bottle with one last gulp, wiping the moisture from his eyes.

“True... but you’re work-friends know what happened. They can testify on your behalf.” Alex mused.

Tycho agreed. They would do that for him. Even if they are in trouble with the U.N. right now. “Is, uh, Twilight still upset with me?”

Alex shook his head and patted Tycho on the back. “No. Trust me she understands what you’re going through. She feels horrible about all this. You know she technically is a jumper too? It’s how she met Trace.”

Tycho looked in Alex’s direction. “Why didn’t she say something?”

Alex shrugged. “I figured it’s because she doesn’t want to identify as a jumper, since most of us went through hell and back. Now, how about we go on that computer and send those messages. I’ll guide you through it. Then you tell me what you’ve got planned in the next two weeks. Twilight has some stuff for you to do to start your new job.” He smiled.

Tycho nodded, got him and Alex another beer and got to work.


Tycho delayed on breaking the news to his folks. The first thing he did was get into contact with his former coworkers and find out what happened to them. With his magic spectacles, he began to practice navigating on his computer without using the braille pad. He could see the text and dialogue perfectly. Alex helped him set up a different interface on his desktop to navigate more easily, then adjusted his internet browser to help. Finally, they fired up skype and contacted Arjeta and Johan.

It was Arjeta that got back to them, and from her home, to Tycho’s relief.

“Tycho! Do you have video there?” He got the reply from Arjeta very quickly.

Alex sat next to his friend as he started the video call.

The video displayed Arjeta and Johan waving flags of the United Nations and Switzerland. “Greetings from Earth!” They both said in English. “Holy crap, Tycho, what happened?!”

Tycho stared at the window, then look to Alex. “What is going on?”

Alex thought a moment and facepalmed. “Shit. Um, Tycho. You can’t see it, but we can.”

“Tycho, can you check your camera? You look somewhat... animated!”

Tycho’s anxiety was temporarily averted when he looked at Alex. “What are they talking about?”

Alex looked at Tycho awkwardly. “Those your work buddies?”

Tycho simply nodded, demanding an explanation.

“Let's just address them first, then I’ll explain.” Alex said. This was going to take some work.

Despite his confusion and anxiousness, Tycho felt a wave of relief hearing their voices. “Hey guys. Greetings from,” he took a deep breath. “Another dimension.” There was a silent moment.

“How is he able to contact us if that is another dimension?!” Johan shook his in disbelief.

“We saw him go into the beam chamber! There was nothing left! The security cameras proved it. He didn’t bail out at any time!” Arjeta replied.

Tycho took a deep breath. “Guys, this is Alex Roberts. He’s, uh, a refugee like me. He’s gonna show you something that’ll prove this isn’t a hoax.”

Alex took over and introduced himself. “I know this is going to sound crazy, but that Tycho is in another universe is true. I’m here, and a few other humans are too. And as you probably guessed, our new friends, the uh...indigenous folks here had a hand in saving you all.”

Arjeta and Johan sat in disbelief. “What are they like, the aliens?” Arjeta asked.

“What about how you guys look? I mean you guys are very well detailed but its like you were drawn very well!” Johan said.

Alex took a deep breath. “Johan’s question, first. You see, this particular planet in this universe has a very strong energy field. It’s like radiation, but different in nature. It’s so saturated here it makes everything look more vibrant. So that is why I look like a cartoon. We’re not drawn, we’re just reflecting a lot of particles on us.”

Johan nodded. The two seemed to have accepted that explanation. “And the aliens?” Arjeta asked again.

Alex chuckled and nudged Tycho to answer. “They, uh. Well that they helped us stop that earlier disaster says a lot about how much they care and how much they have helped me these past couple of weeks. I got my own place, they are teaching about mag-er-their sciences, and even getting me a job.” Tycho wished he was on the other side of that video right now.

Arjeta looked saddeningly at Tycho. “Can they help you get back?”

Tycho shook his head trying to contain his re emerging frustration. Noticing the emotions welling up, Alex answered for him. “Its an ongoing process to find out if we can.”

Johan eyed Alex suspiciously. “I would like some proof, if you don’t mind.”

Alex grinned. “That is why I am here. You have an expert in quantum physics. I’ve got a math problem for you, but first we need some numbers. You know how to ping a laptop you’re connected to?”

Tycho paid close attention to what Alex was doing. He didn’t know quantum physics, did he? Did Twilight invent this? Or was it someone he met while jumping? It involved his two work-friends opening up the command prompt and pinging the laptop and taking a few numbers, then Alex sent them an equation in a text file. Tycho looked at it and no doubt it was beyond Alex’s education to do it, but saw the note under it:

Alex Roberts. I am glad your wife believes your predicament and I hope this device helps keep your spirits up as you try to find a way home. I have sadly done all I can and this equation may help. It displays quantum synchrony between the two computers, the foundation for how I managed to synchronize this device with your interformation network. ---Prof. Reed Richards

Tycho read.

Tycho’s mouth dropped. Well Alex wasn’t kidding he met a comic book superhero. This equation was authentic. There was no doubt on that after Arjeta and Johan finished it.

“It’s legitimate.” Johan slouched back in his chair. “Tycho, this is one of the greatest achievements of science. You realize what this means, oof!”

Arjeta elbowed Johan in the stomach, who grimaced and clutched his gut. “He’s trapped on the other side, Johan! Tycho, we’ll do everything we can to bring you home!”

Tycho shook his head. “Don’t... goddammit.” He cursed and buried another wave of depression. “Don’t waste your time.” He took off his glasses. “It would require both sides doing the exact opposite of we did previously and we don’t have the tech or knowledge to do that now.”

Alex frowned. Tycho wasn’t telling them about the Princesses restriction of that information. Probably to not add more worry to his friends.

“Tycho, you have a life here!” Johan coughed. “You can’t expect us to let you rot-”

Tycho raised his voice. “And what do you expect to do, Johan!? Hijack the L.H.C again?! You guys are lucky you got to keep your jobs!”

Arjeta looked away sadly, saying nothing. Johan stubbornly shook his head. “That is bullshit, Tycho! This isn’t about helping you as a blind man, this is about getting you home! We need you back, Tycho! C.E.R.N. needs you! Your family-”

“He’s been declared dead, Johan.” Arjeta said in a low voice.

Johan stopped his arguing and looked at Arjeta in disbelief. “What!?”

Arjeta looked at Tycho and sent a link to an obituary.

Alex read it and sighed. “Confirmed, they declared you dead. Vaporized by the LHC beams.”

Tycho said nothing but lay his head on his desk. “So now what?” He felt numb, having handled all he could in a short span of time.

Arjeta sniffed and wiped her eyes. “If they can’t do anything there, we can’t do anything here. At least nothing immediate. I’ll do what I can in my spare time, Tycho. Johan too, but we can’t make any promises of a breakthrough anymore than the people over there can.”

Tycho lifted his head. “You have lives there, I have to scrape one here somehow.” He felt resigned to his fate like that guy in The Cube. “Guys, you’ve been the best friends and coworkers I have ever had. You keep our baby running, okay? Just don’t let the new guy ruin our work.”

Alex could feel the weight of all this emotion. The same feelings having to accept his fate being away from Anne and his children and maybe never returning home. And Tycho was was going through it now.

“Dr. Johan. Dr. Arjeta. Tycho is lucky to have you as friends on the other side. The best thing you can do now is continue living and helping when you have time to spare. We’re doing everything we can for Tycho over here, so just help him keep in better spirits.”

Johan hated it, but it was true. “I’ll still work on the math, Tyke.”

Arjeta looked at Tycho. “You’re gonna contact your parents?”

Tycho nodded miserably. “Can you guys stay online? I need all the help I can get breaking this to them.”

“You sure, Tyke?” Alex was worried he couldn’t handle breaking it to his mother and father now.

“Yes.” Tycho sneered. “Don’t try to talk me out of it.”


Alex stepped out for a moment and was on his way back. He walked into the front door to see and hear what was transpiring.

“Você tem que estar brincando comigo!” Tycho’s father yelled on the skype channel.

“Marido! Acalme-se!” Tycho’s mother tried calming the older gentleman down.

Now Tycho wished Alex talked him out of it. “I am not lying to you, dad.” Tycho said withholding his tears, not even looking at his laptop. He could just imagine their faces as he last saw them before his vision faded so long ago. Saddened. Angry. And it was his fault.

Arjeta and Johan were on the channel as well trying to explain to Tycho’s parents the truth, but his father wasn’t having it. When his father was mad, he often shouted in Portuguese. Despite being Bolivian, his father was raised in Brazil, thus never learned Spanish as many would assume otherwise given he was from Latin America. The father had just finished the calculation as instructed and it dawned on him and his mother what it meant.

“Doctor Sergio Hernandez,” Johan tried getting the older man to listen. “If you see this calculation…” Johan tried getting in.

“I saw the damn calculation!” Sergio angrily shouted. His wife hugged him tightly to try to calm him, though she herself despaired at the implications.

“Doctor Rin Hernandez,” Arjeta addressed Tycho’s mother. “I hope you can believe us. We’ll even try to get the camera footage from the security videos if you want proof.”

Rin shook her head shedding tears. “I know it’s true.”

“I should have found another way…” Tycho sobbed. “I’m sorry father. I should have found another way.”

Sergio looked at his son like he had just seen him taken away. He said nothing as his face scrunched in sadness, holding back his own tears.

A moment of silence passed as Alex waited for the intense emotions to fade so he could speak again. “Mr. and Mrs. Hernandez.” He said softly. “Johan and Arjeta. Please look closely at the camera.”

A moment later, a certain purple unicorn pony teleported behind Tycho and Alex.

“Nani?!” Rin said in Japanese. “What is that?”

Alex sat down as Twilight Sparkle approached. “This is one of the natives of this world. You’d probably recognize them from a certain children’s cartoon show.”

“He’s trapped in My Little Pony?” Johan asked, prompting Arjeta to elbow him again.

Alex shook his head. “Not exactly. This is a parallel universe.”

Twilight was hesitant to speak. She stared at Tycho sadly who looked as bad as Alex felt after he found out his home universe skipped several months in time. She then stepped forward and spoke. “I know you all find this hard to believe. But understand our universe is real, as are all infinite possibilities. My universe isn’t a cartoon show, and I am not a cartoon character. Our world has a long history and there is a lot more to me, my friends, and my fellow pony than what coincidentally is being told in an entertainment program.”

Tycho heard but was barely listening. Alex looked at Twilight and smiled sadly at her efforts.

“But understand this. This isn’t Tycho’s fault. It’s ours!” Twilight stated.

Alex stopped smiling and stared at Twilight, feeling a sudden knock from that statement.

“We were responsible for bringing him here, because there was no other way!” Twilight looked at Tycho, whose attention was no doubt caught by her confession. “Someone had to go through to stop the displacements on your world! Someone had to activate the quantum feedback at the center, inside that chamber! Tycho would have no one else sacrifice their lives back at home because we convinced him to do it!”

The audience on planet Earth sat staring at this creature that their minds had a hard time accepting was real. But her words spoke true.

“It is all true. Alex and other humans have ended up here, and they jumped from one hell to another! This place is paradise compared to those! And even though we are helping Tycho in every way, he still deserves better! To be at home and making his life on Earth!” Twilight took a deep breath. “And we are trying to find a way to get him home.” Twilight angrily scrapped her hoof on the wood floor. “But, unfortunately, it's not easy. And we can’t promise when or if we will succeed. But I promise you, both as an Element of Harmony and as Tycho’s friend, I will do everything I can for him here.”

Sergio looked down at his keyboard and sat in thought. Rin said nothing, but hugged her husband, who was now holding her hand tightly. Finally, after another uncomfortably long silent moment, Sergio spoke.

“Tycho é um homem , tem sido um homem , desde que ele saiu de casa . Um pai deve apoiar as escolhas de seu filho . Mesmo se essas escolhas levá-lo muito longe.” Sergio said in Portuguese.

Tycho looked back at the screen. Just text and blackness and his imagined image of his parents.

“As long as he is alive and well, I will not despair.” Sergio dutifully said.

Rin let her husband go for a moment and looked at the screen. “Tycho. Listen. You are a good man. You saved us all. You deserve more than what you have now, and these... ponies should acknowledge that.” Rin took a deep breath to keep her emotions in check. “We very much acknowledge it. And we will help your friends here however we can. You should have a choice to return here. You know we can do that. And we will.” Rin swallowed. “But none of us know when that will happen. Can you live in this new world? Can you make a life there?”

Tycho shifted his head, looking the the direction of Alex and Twilight. Keeping his head down and propping himself partly off the desk with his arms folded in front of him, he nodded. “Hai, mother.” He replied with puffy, reddened eyes.

Holding each other’s hand tightly, his mother and father looked at each other and nodded. Sergio looked at Twilight. “Deus ajudá-lo se você deixar o nosso filho.” He said with a serious, almost threatening look in his eye.

Twilight wondered what that meant, but given the older man’s ill-look, he was probably giving her a warning.

Rin patted Sergio’s hand. “We trust you, Twilight Sparkle, and your people to give Tycho the same respect and help you gave these other humans. You will treat him with dignity. And you will help him live a good life there.”

Sergio looked at Tycho. “Tycho!” He said, prompting his son to lift his head. “We’ll speak again. You will keep us updated. Don’t keep anything from us. Promise.”

Tycho nodded. “Eu prometo, pai.” He looked at his mother. “I love you both.”

Rin tried to smile, but it felt like she was forcing a steel cable to bend. “We love you, Tycho.”

Tycho lifted his hand and brought his mouse to the button to end the conference.

Alex Roberts had to say something before he ended it. “You’ll talk again. All of you, okay? Don’t lose touch.”

All four adults nodded before Tycho closed the conference. He felt numb. Sitting in his chair. This experience didn’t make him feel any better than he was. He felt like he just accepted defeat in a battle of a hopeless war.

Twilight said nothing but looked at Tycho. She didn’t approach or hug him, she was afraid after the bad news earlier, he wouldn’t want that kind of kindness from her. She just leaned over to Alex and was about to whisper, but realized he’d hear it. So she gestured Alex to follow her to the door.

Alex did so and they stood outside as Twilight whispered out of Tycho’s earshot. “Please make sure he sees Weyul, okay? He can start work anytime he is ready, but he’ll need Weyul’s professional help.”

Alex nodded. “Good night, Twi.” He walked back to Tycho to find he must have made his way to the couch and fallen asleep. Alex sighed, realizing Twilight’s words were right. He did convince his friend to become a jumper as well. It hit him hard, the implication he just separated a beloved friend from his life. But there was no other way, was there?

“I’m sorry, Tyke. I really am.” Alex solemnly walked out of the house and closed the door. He then just walked. He passed his home and just kept walking.

Those words Twilight said repeating in his mind. He began stressing on the possible alternatives of what they could have done to prevent this.


From their cloud perch above their house, Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo watched Alex walk by.

“Mom?” the young filly asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry about it, squirt. Dad’s just thinking on a problem, probably to help his tall friend. See how he keeps moving his hands, like when he talks? Yeah, that means he’s thinking hard on a problem. Best to just leave him to his thinking.”

“But,” Scootaloo started excitedly, “maybe we can help him? Maybe even get a cutie mark for it?”

Rainbow Dash chuckled, “You worry too much about that cutie mark. It will happen when it happens. Anyway, dad will find a solution to his problem, he always does. Anyway, enough stargazing for tonight, it’s time for bed, pumpkin.”


After several hours of walking aimlessly in a depressed stupor, he returned home. He was too exhausted mentally and physically to go upstairs to join his wife in bed. So he simply fell asleep on the couch.


In the morning, Alex Roberts awoke covered in a blanket. He smelled coffee and what was likely oatmeal being made. He sat up and popped his neck and bones. After an empty moment, he stood up to get some breakfast. His wife sat at the table having already set it for him. Alex smiled and sat down as the pony and human shared a good morning kiss. Dash leaned on Alex’s arm and gave him a nuzzle.

“Now, you tell me what happened last night, okay big guy?” Rainbow Dash.

Alex swallowed his bite and took a sip of coffee. He looked into the mug as if to try to find his reflection in the dark brew. Oh well, no sense delaying. He can’t hide anything from her, Dash knew him too well.

“One of my friends is here now.” Alex put his mug down and sighed. “He just told his friends and family he wasn’t coming home.” The man frowned and shook his head. “Twilight came over and told them something I didn’t think about.”

Rainbow Dash looked at her husband’s face sadly. She assumed her best friend didn’t mean anything mean by whatever she said.

“She told Tycho’s parents to blame us for convincing him to come here. I mean,” Alex tapped his fingers on the table. “I ran all the scenarios in my head. I still can’t think of a better way to avoid Tycho ending up here.”

Rainbow Dash nodded and nuzzled his arm. “And you and Twilight blame yourselves.”

Alex nodded. “Dash, I convinced one of my friends to do something I wouldn’t have anyone, not one person, not even my worst enemy, to go through. And we have no way of getting him back right now.”

Dash waited for the pause and then spoke. “You know, that you feel bad about it shows you really care about him.” That prompted Alex to look at her. She seldom says stuff that deep. “And I think you encouraged Tycho because you trust him.” She felt Alex’s hand stroke her neck in appreciation. “You’re gonna think about what you could have done a lot, Alex. I’ve done that a few times.”

“I’m no stranger to it, Dash. I just can’t believe I encouraged Tycho without thinking.” Alex shook his head. “I was only thinking about saving my race.”

Rainbow Dash looked at Alex. “You’re being a big dummy again.” She looked into his eyes. “You remember all you did to help Tycho? Giving him a house, a welcoming party? Helping him make friends and making sure he had work? You did think.” Dash said sternly. “You did what I do. What Twilight does. What Eleanor has done. Make a tough choice and hope for the best.”

Alex stared into Dash’s eyes, thanking god, Luna, and all creation he had her in his life. He pulled into a tight hug. “I’m gonna be helping Tycho for a long while. I hope you understand that.”

Dash hugged him back. “So will I. He’s my friend too, now.”

The two finished breakfast quietly before planning on what to do today.


Tycho woke up an hour after Alex had. He felt like crap. But at least he felt rested. After sitting a moment to clear his mind, he got up and prepared for the morning. So, he really will be here a while, he thought to himself. What now? Well, he will have work to do, obviously, but that was a bit much for him after last evening. Start with something simple, Tycho thought. Food.

After eating a full breakfast, Tycho tried another another life task: his morning exercises. He searched the storage closet on the first floor and noticed it had a portable treadmill inside. Magically operated, said the text. Good, he thought. He activated the laptop and decided to play some music as he did a steady incline jog. He didn’t know Ponyville well enough to take his morning jogs around there yet.

After completing his one hour exercise, he showered and got dressed. So far things were tolerable. He then sent a quick email of what he was going to do today to his friends and family. Day was going fine so far. Time to address work, but he needed his friend to go with him. He stepped out the door with his new specs and sonar device equipment, and his laptop in a satchel.

He went over to his neighbor’s home and located the door. After a brief knock, Alex answered.

“Morning.” Tycho said.

Alex stood looking at his friend, saying nothing, probably finding it hard to talk, Tycho thought.

“You got time to come with me to Twilight’s home? I need you to help me work out the terms of my work with her.” Tycho said.

Alex nodded. “Hey honey? I’ll be at the library.”

Rainbow Dash approached the door. “Alright, big guy. Hey Tycho. How are you doing?”

Tycho gave a nonchalant salute. “One day at a time, Dash.”

Rainbow nodded. “You should have dinner with us, Tyke. I wanna hear you and Alex talk about that egghead stuff.” She said with a friendly grin.

“I think I’ll do that.” Tycho replied.

Rainbow began hovering in the air. “I’ll be doing a full shift today. You and bigger guy take it easy.” She said to Alex before flying off.

Alex smiled and waved her goodbye. “Okay Tycho, lead the way.”

Author's Note:

Big delay due to IRL stuff. A special thanks to my editors for sticking with me through my efforts to complete another chapter. Things will start moving past Tycho adjusting here soon. I promise.