• Published 21st May 2012
  • 5,190 Views, 33 Comments

Generator Rex: Project Equestria - Hunter X



Black Knight finds a way into Equestria. Generator Rex crossover story.

  • ...
5
 33
 5,190

Chapter 1

Rex crept slowly through the corridor, suppressing the urge to cough as he did. The cloaking device built into his suit might keep him hidden from the Providence guards not ten metres away from him but it did nothing for sound, as he had unfortunately discovered on several occasions. Glancing behind him he could see nothing, though he knew Six and Doctor Holiday were close behind him, each equipped with their own cloaking devices. Rex paused briefly to allow the guards to continue on their patrol, his mind drifting back to the conversation he'd had with his brother a few hours ago.

"I wouldn't be asking you if this wasn't important Rex," Caesar had protested. "but I can't do this without you."

It was a stupid idea coming back to Providence headquarters. Ever since their little break-in attempt a few months ago Black Knight had been overhauling the security of the monolithic structure, and if they were caught it would likely mean game over for humanity; Black Knight would collect the remaining Master Control Nanites without opposition, and the Consortium would use them to gain full control over reality itself. The only reason that they were here is because Caesar claimed that this was even more important, though Rex had no idea how.

"You know Black Knight. She would only be doing this if she could gain something from it."

White Knight had heavily opposed the whole idea, calling it reckless and ill-informed. Caesar had retaliated by pointing out that anything Black Considered more important than the Master Control Nanites was worth looking into. Rex had been divided on the issue - on one hand, he wanted to trust his brother and to stop whatever Black Knight was planning, but on the other hand Caesar was in fact working for Black Knight at present.

"How do we know this isn't a trap?" Rex had asked. "Every other time we've met, you defended Black Knight's plans. Why so eager to get on her bad side?"

"That was different. The Nanite program is necessary to finish what our parents started. This could end up being far, far worse.

"Please hermano, I need you to trust me."

In the end, they had agreed to meet Caesar and see his evidence in person with White Knight and Bobo staying behind to guard the Master Control Nanites they had already collected, bringing Rex back to the present. The guards had passed by without spotting him, and Rex continued his crawl through the corridor. His brother's motives might not always make sense, but he was offering them a way to stop Black Knight from getting hold of something incredibly dangerous, whatever that turned out to be. It could be a trap of course, but Rex had managed to escape from worse predicaments in the past. Finally reaching the door to his brother's lab, he glanced down the corridor one more time before entering the code Caesar had provided him into the nearby keypad.

The door slid open with a hiss, and Rex readied himself to take out any would-be attackers behind it. Thankfully the room was empty except for surprised looking man in his early twenties. "Is that you Rex?" he called out.

Rex pressed a button on his suit and faded back into visibility, as did Six and Holiday behind him. "Alright Caesar, let's make this quick. What's so important that you're willing to betray Black Knight?" Caesar walked over to a nearby console and pressed a few keys, bringing up a series of complicated schematics and mathematical equations.

"A few weeks back I finished a design for a multidimensional relocation device. A cross-dimensional portal, if you will. At first it was just a project I was working on in my spare time, but Black Knight took an interest when I submitted a request for additional resources."

Holiday looked over the plans for the device. "This portal uses the Einstein-Rosen wormhole theory. Why would Black Knight be interested in a theory that's existed for years?"

"Up until now, nobody's managed to make it work." Caesar continued. "More importantly, I discovered that the laws of physics function differently in some dimensions. My theory is that Black Knight thinks she can harness that somehow."

Six raised an eyebrow. "You're not certain?"

"Once I finished constructing the portal Black Knight took full control. She took a team through the portal last week and orders additional troops and sealed containers to random locations every couple of days. Whatever she's found through there, she doesn't want anybody knowing about it."

"How much has she sent through that portal?" Rex asked, half-dreading the answer.

"Enough to set up a sizeable base on the other side. I don't know what was in those containers, but it could be anything from building materials, to weapons, to devices I don't even know about. Black Knight has put a lot of effort into this project, and she wouldn't have stayed there this long if there wasn't anything of interest there."

"That settles it." Rex decided. "Whatever Black Knight's up to, it's big and it's dangerous. We need to stop her."

"I was hoping you would say that brother." Caesar replied, smiling. "I've been warming up the portal for you ever since you agreed to meet me." Another tap on the keyboard opened a second door nearby, and the group walked through to see a large, circular device suspended at the end of the room. A number of wires were attached to the device and the inner edge of the ring was glowing faintly. A ramp had been positioned just in front of the device stopping just short of the inside of the circle.

"I can't send you directly to Black Knight, but I can get you close based on the average locations of the supply requests." Caesar adjusted one of the dials on a nearby control panel as he spoke, the edge of the portal glowing brighter as he did. "Once you go through, you'll have to find her base on your own."

The portal began to hum, and Rex could see the inside of the circle begin to shimmer. "Won't Black Knight know you were the one to send us?" Despite their differences, Rex had no desire to see his brother face Black Knight's anger. Caesar's only response was to smile knowingly.

"You've broken into my lab before. As far as she's concerned, I've been doing field research all day." The portal was buzzing loudly low, and the inside of the ring was rapidly being filled by a bright circle of light. "The portal should be ready in a few seconds!"

Rex looked back at Six and Holiday as the portal continued to gather strength. Holiday smiled back at him while Six simply nodded, and Rex knew they were both ready to follow him to wherever the portal might take them. A moment later the room shook, the portal now filled with a bright light. "It's ready!" Caesar shouted over the noise. "Get through before it closes!"

Rex passed through the portal, and everything went white.


The first thing that Rex noticed about the place was how... normal it looked. The portal had led to a forest, with a thick canopy of branches and leaves blocking out most of the sky. "Really?" Rex asked. "We could've landed anywhere, and we end up somewhere exactly like Earth? Talk about an anticlimax."

Six adjusted his tie as he looked around the area. "Don't let your guard down. Black Knight wouldn't be here if it wasn't special in some way."

Holiday pulled out a small device, pressed a few keys, and frowned at the result. "Odd," she said. "None of my scans are responding correctly. Guess we'll have to find our way around the old fashioned way." Picking a direction at random, the three of them set off.

"I wonder where Black Knight is." Rex thought out loud. They had been walking for half an hour but had seen no sign of Providence's mysterious leader, nor any of her pawns. A standard Providence installation would have spotted them long before they reached any structures, but there had been a distinct lack of bullets directed at them on their journey through the forest.

"If there's any civilisation in this universe she'll probably have set up nearby." Holiday answered as they continued walking. "Our best bet is to find that first, which should lead us to Black Knight."

They walked on in silence for the next few minutes, passing a river as they did. Thankfully the water level was low at their location in the river, allowing the three of them to cross with relative ease. As they crossed the river, Rex could have sworn he heard some kind of roar in the distance, though he had yet to see anything more than a couple of birds in the forest - a troubling fact in itself considering a forest of this size should be teeming with life. Tightening his fists, Rex pressed onwards, though not without glancing around to make sure whatever had made the noise wasn't heading towards them.

"Something about this forest is giving me the creeps." Rex muttered as they walked.

"I'm more concerned about why none of my scans are working," Holiday responded. "This device is designed to take accurate readings under intense weather conditions and radiation levels, yet it's acting as if there's nothing for it to see."

Six pointed ahead of them. "Looks like you won't have to worry about that much longer Rex." A little way ahead of them was a gap in the trees through which daylight could be seen. Sighing in relief, Rex picked up the pace, eager to get out of this forest as soon as possible.

Just before they reached it however, something passed through the gap heading towards them. It was about half Rex's height and coloured deep purple, with some kind of horn protruding from its head. The thing's face displayed an expression resembling shock, then fear, then a fierce determination. It was clear it did not want to let them leave the forest.

"So that's Black Knight's plan!" Rex exclaimed. "She's creating an army of EVOs in this universe, so she can take them back to ours! Well, she's not gonna get away with it." Bright blue lines traced intricate patterns down Rex's arms as the nanites deep within his body activated, which then expanded and re-solidified into giant robotic hands. Rex began to sprint towards the EVO, but only managed to take four steps before being blown backwards by a blast from the creature's horn. The force of the attack shattered Rex's hands, leaving just his normal arms behind, but he spun in mid air and landed safely upon a pair of newly-formed robotic legs and charged again. This time, when the creature tried to shoot him down he was ready for it, and swiftly jumped over the blast.

The EVO's expression changed back from determination to fear, as a glowing purple sphere materialised around it. Rex landed right on top of the bubble, causing it to ripple slightly but hold. Jumping off the shield and allowing his legs to return to their normal form, Rex rebuilt his robo-hands and began pounding away at the purple orb in an attempt to break through. Holiday shouted something, but Rex paid no attention as the shield began to crack. A final punch shattered the barrier into a thousand pieces, the creature collapsing from the strain of holding the shield together.

Rex approached the creature. "Alright little EVO, time to cure you." Holiday called to him again, sounding very concerned.

"Rex, I don't think that's-"

"Just a second doc, I gotta cure this thing before it wakes up." The creature stirred slightly, but appeared either unable or unwilling to stand back up just yet. Rex knelt down and placed a hand on the creature's body. The same blue patterns as before expanded across the creature, spreading out a few inches around his hand. As they did, Rex's expression rapidly shifted to shock and disbelief. He lifted his hand and the lines vanished, taking a step back from the creature.

"It... it's not an EVO!"