• Published 1st Mar 2015
  • 2,239 Views, 17 Comments

Anything but Normal - mr. tallyman18



While Sunset mentioned she didn't like flash, she never mentioned anyone else she did like. But how do you describe someone so...Normal?

  • ...
9
 17
 2,239

A helping hand for a normal man

Hand in Hand with his date, Norman walked away from the theater rather contented, albeit with his wallet somewhat lighter.

"So, how did you like the movie Sunshine?"

Sunset, Currently sporting the monstrous features she'd acquired during the fall formal event, gave a weak smile in response, though with her razor sharp fangs, it was hard to tell if it was a genuine smile of contentment or a predatory one.

Norman chuckled nervously, slightly worried at his date flashing such sharp canines at him. Wondering silently how easily she could rend him apart with them.

"Well either way, the night is still young, anything in particular you feel like doing?"

The she-demon tapped a clawed finger to her chin, silently contemplating her various choices as she looked around.
Eventually, her gaze settled on something, immediately giving a quick "squee" before dragging Norman over to it.

The first thing Norman took note of was the warm, inviting smell of freshly cooked cinnamon rolls, Even before she stopped and let him get a good look at the sign, he already recognized the place as Sugar Cube corner, one of his competitors.

"....Isn't there anywhere.....else you might wanna go Sunshine?"

Truth be told, Norman didn't have a problem with the Cakes, proud owners of sugar cube corner, but he'd usually seen it as bad business practice to be seen at a competitors sweet shop. Besides that,the place had an annoying habit of making him spend far more than he'd intended to going in.

But, seeing Norman's trepidation, Sunset quickly adopted a sad, "puppy eyed" expression, or at least the closest she could approximate with her pitch black eyes and tiny blue pupils.
With a light sigh and a roll of his eyes Norman walked over to the double doors of the illustrious bakery and pulled one open, gesturing for his date to walk inside.

With a Triumphant smirk, the demon-pony-girl marched inside, Norman dutifully following after her.
For the life of him, Norman never understood the cake's choice of decor, He supposed since it was mostly a bakery the obtrusive pink decorations and pastel white walls weren't completely out of place, but considering its placement in the Pony-villa shopping centre it's "fancy and frilly" atmosphere seemed like it'd come off as too "highbrow" for it's general consumers.

"HI SUNNY! HI NORMIE!"

With a Sudden start Norman was shocked out of his analysis of the shop by the VERY sudden appearance of one of it's employees, Pinkie Pie.

"Goddammit Pinkie! Don't scare me like that, I have enough health problems without you popping out of the ether just to give me a heart attack!"

"oooh sorry Normie, I was just really excited to see you and Sunny together."

Norman winced slightly at the word "together".

"eh....let's not go building any rumors, Sunset and me are just hanging out, as friends, right Sunny?"

Rather than answer, the young demoness instead opted to wrap one of her giant, bat-like wings around Norman, quickly pulling him closer to her for a rather uncomfortable nuzzle.

To his credit, he tried not to make his horror too apparent, instead simply asking Pinkie to find them a table in a slightly shaky voice.
"One table for the happy couple coming up!"

Norman would have objected to being called a couple, but as it so happened, he was far more concerned with wondering how Sunset's face nuzzling against his arm could both burn him and suck all the warmth out of his body, simultaneously.
Luckily they arrived at their table shortly and thus Sunset was forced to relinquish his arm in order to seat herself across from him, much to his relief.

"Alright so you're going to have your usual, right Sunny?"

Sunset nodded affirmatively.

"Alright and for you Norman?"

"A cinnamon roll, actually no,make it a dozen. Everyone back home will probably get upset if I don't bring them anything."

"Okie Dokie Lokie! one chocolate strawberry milkshake and a dozen cinnamon rolls coming right up."

As Pinkie left to get their orders, Sunset quietly removed her jacket and placed it over her chair, giving Norman a much better look at her figure, which he had to admit, even in demonic form, was quite lovely.

It took him a few moments before he lifted his gaze from her lithe body to continue looking her in the face, and almost immediately a small amount of shame set in as he realized she'd probably noticed his staring.
Luckily she didn't seem to mind, and flashed Norman another razor-toothed smile, which, feeling relieved at not offending her, he happily returned.

Suddenly the familiar feeling of burning and cold were present in his hand once more, and he looked downward to see Sunset's clawed hand taking hold of his own.

He wanted to jerk his hand away, wanted to tell her she was going too far and that he didn't like her that way. But looking back up at the long, toothy smile on her face, he couldn't bring himself to say it aloud. She wasn't hurting anyone, not anymore, he could stomach it for a little while longer if it made her happy.

"Oh my, what a cute couple."

Norman immediately felt his stomach lurch as he heard the gushing comment from an elderly couple seated next to him. A blush of hot shame washed over him, tinted with the tiniest flash of indignent anger.

So he was having a nice time together with someone, it didn't obligate him to be "with" her like that. Rather firmly he pulled his hand away from her, looking away either in sustained anger or slight guilt as she adopted a confused and hurt expression.

He didn't owe her anything like THAT, not after everything she did to him. And where did those two get off pinning them together just because theirs parts match up? It wasn't enough that they were looking over their shoulders to gawk at someone else having dinner they had to butt in with their vapid, stupid, ignorant-

"Excuse me?"

Norman looked up from his internalized rant to see Pinkie Pie, sporting a concerned look as she balanced both their orders on her metal tray.
From the look on her face she had some idea of what he'd been thinking about, perhaps he'd been letting his anger show in his expressions, he'd have to be more careful about that.

"Uh....right, our food, thank you pinkie"

"Yeah, Your welcome"

After retrieving their orders from Pinkie he looked down at his own bakers dozen box of cinnamon rolls. Silently doing the math in his head as to how many each member of his adoptive clan would get if he divided them evenly.

Eventually he reasoned that he could give out two for each, including himself, before taking one and looking back up at his date, currently looking ashamed and downtrodden while silently drinking her milkshake.

Of course, upon noticing his gaze she immediately smiled, but he could tell it was a hollow "don't worry about me, eveythings fine" smile.
He knew she was putting on a front for him, trying not to seem too upset by his rejecting her advances. A cold wave of guilt washed over him, even if he didn't like her that way, he probably didn't need to overreact like that.

Very quickly he began thinking of a way to cheer her up, one that didn't involve leading her on in any way, as that was what had gotten him into this mess in the first place. Eventually, Norman settled on his food.
"Uhh....would you like, a cinnamon roll Sunset?"

Without waiting for her awnser, as it was somewhat likely she'd simply decline, he inched the box a little closer to her, indicating for her to grab one.

Luckily that didn't seem to be the case, as she quickly grabbed one of the many pastries and bit into it.
As she chewed the lovingly made gift from the pastry gods, her mood seemed to shift slightly, her weary and phoned in smile slowly melting into one of genuine contentment and appreciation.

It was well worth his cinnamon roll, he decided,as he took a moment to enjoy her rapidly improving mood. Even if he couldn't quite give her.....everything...he was still happy to share what he could with her, she deserved to be happy as much as anyone else after all.
He'd almost forgotten about his own delectable pastry until its scent wafted into his nostrils. Enthusiastically, he'd decided to heed its siren call and chomping it down, completely lost in the taste of his favorite sweet.

Suddenly a tall glass filled with milkshake scooted into the corner of his vision, inched forward slowly by a bright crimson claw.
Looking up, Norman was greated by the expectant expression of his date. Once again, Sunset zero'd in with her pitch black and blue pupiled puppy eyes, indicating her anticipation in having Norman accept a sip of her drink.
After giving a warm smile and nod of appreciation he took a small sip of the frozen treat before passing it back to her. The Demoness gave another happy "squee" before continuing to sip the chocolaty beverage herself, all the while Norman looked on, an expression of mild amusement present in his face.

Afterwords, the date proceeded similarly, with the pair casually sharing food, smiles and pleasant conversation. After finishing up they asked for the check, which Norman admitted he should probably pay since he'd gotten the bigger order and drank a bit of Sunset's milkshake anyways.

Of course, try as he might Norman couldn't quite slip away from the bakery without drawing the attention of its enthusiastic pink haired employee.

"Bye Norman, bye Sunny! you two lovebirds have fun.....oooh....but not too much fun!"

Now, for anyone else such a comment might have invited embarressment or shame, but not Norman. No it was calmly and with great pride that he'd taken his dates hand and hastily made for the exit, all the while trying to keep his face out of sight so as not to give anyone from class any ideas about his relationship status.

As they exited the confectionery shop, Norman Suggested they take their night to the local park, to enjoy the midnight air and maybe walk off the sweets they'd indulged in, especially after he and sunset ended up eating the rest of the cinnamon rolls anyways despite the niggling little worry in the back of his head that his family would be disappointed in him.

Sunset seemed to agree with the idea, nodding happily and once again leading Norman by the arm along the path.

The trees seemed far less, pleasant than usual, their branches arched over him as if hanging their heads in shame, Norman felt the need to turn his eyes away from them, for that look of shame and disappointment was all too familiar with him.

After a few moments of being tugged around and facing they judgement of trees, they eventually came upon what Sunset wanted to show him, a large marble archway covered in vines.

The structure's visage quickly sent Norman's heart overflowing with dread, and for the life of him he couldn't quite pin down why. He felt, beside himself with worry, and guilt for some odd reason, swiftly he turned his attention to Sunset and felt his heart sink to even further depths as he saw her jogging merrily down the path, looking back at him one last time to flash a warm smile before vanishing into the dark.
Tentatively, Norman pushed down the fearful feeling in his gut and ran after her, desperately clinging to the strangely narrow pavement walkway, as if the ground beside it was a bottomless ravine.

Slowly, but all too surely, the strange and gloomy trees gave way to more familiar venues, streetlamps cast over smooth sidewalks and solid red brick and mortar walls. He'd recognized this place, for he'd walked down it many times, it was the street he'd always taken to get to his school, Canterlot High.

This did little to quell his nerves. If anything, the confirmation of where they were headed only served to worsen the chill in his heart. guilt had begun to tear even more readily at his heart. He had to find Sunset, he felt it in his bones, he had to protect her from something, what it was he had no idea, but a sinking feeling in his gut told him he was responsible for it somehow.

Eventually, After almost instinctively following his usual path, walking briskly past the homeless gentleman in the cardboard shack and taking a hard right just shy of Camonberry road, Norman arrived at his school's courtyard, where he spotted Sunset, standing within the looming shadow of the school statue.

The marble wondercolts mascot loomed over her menacingly, it's legs reared up as if preparing to crush her to death underneath its hooves. Suddenly, as if sensing someone watching her, she turned around, and upon realizing it was Norman regarded him with a smile and a wave, completely unphased by whatever was slowly working its sinister ways on the world.
beads of sweat rolled down Normans neck as he looked up and the nightmarish equine statue.

"....H-Hey Sunshine, Y'know....come to think of it, the park wasn't all that it's cracked up to be, why don't I take you to....the fair? yeah? maybe the guitar store? You like guitars.....I think.."

Sunset only quirked her head in response before looking back up at the marble stallion, which he could have sworn was starting to grow even larger and more threatening.

"Sunset....don't do this, just....just get away from that thing. we can still talk we can still-"

No sooner had he spoken then six beams of light and color rose from the sky, within each of their shining sphere's was one of six winged, pony eared girls. Each of them slowly looked down upon Sunset, Looking over her, Judging her.

The demon girl looked up at them slowly, casually, Almost welcoming their presence as she watched them form up around her.
Norman reached out for her, He knew this was bad, he knew that somehow...someway this would end wrong. Worse then last time, even though he couldn't remember the last time either.

"Sunset please, Let's just leave....This....This isn't right, this..."

"...This is what you wanted, Isn't it?"

Sunset said gently, her tone sweet and helpful.
The question struck Norman like the cold blade of a knife piercing into his heart, one that had found its mark perfectly, as if it had been working its way into him all night.

Before he could dispute her, the six ponified figures began casting their beams of chromatic light at Sunset, each blast piercing through her body, burning through her flesh.

And through it all she simply smiled, even through the tears that welled from her eyes, and even as the light that was tearing into her grew bright and hotter, Until Norman was forced to look away for fear of being blinded.

Once it was safe to, He looked again, only to find a huge smoldering crater where Sunset had been. He reassured himself that it would be fine, A still very much alive Sunset shimmer would be laying there just like last time, ready to learn about friendship or some crap and everything would be fine.

But When the smoke cleared away, All that met Normans eyes was a tattered leather jacket, covered in ash.
He fell to his knees, tears welling up in his eyes as he stared down at it, all the while her final words ringing in his ears, rattling in his skull.

"I didn't....I...I didn't..."

He tried to say that he didn't want this, that he wouldn't wish this on anyone, that he'd always cared for Sunset as much as everyone else. But the words caught in his throat, he'd remembered all too well what was in his head during the fall formal.
The internal guilt twisted the knife further into him, tearing up his insides and forcing the tears to flow freely even as he tried to hold them back.

Meanwhile the sky had begun to fill with more than just the six winged pony girls. Immediately, as if pulled from thin air three large serpent-horse-like creatures swam through the skies, each one snapping up the pony-girls one by one in their massive jaws. Each of the six friends fought back, Zipping around the monsters and blasting at them with beams of multicolored light. Still, none of them could ward off the creatures for more than a few precious moments.

Norman knew it was hopeless, He didn't particularly know why, but he knew it had something to do with Sunset, and likewise he knew whatever had happened to her was his own fault.

Tentatively, he crawled over to the leather jacket, all that had been left of her after the blast.

"....I...I didn't.....mean it.....I didn't mean it.....I'm so sorry Sunset."

Desperate and in tears, Norman took hold of the jacket, Sobbing into it as if some shred of her spirit could still hear him.

"Please don't be gone.....I was wrong.....I was horribly wrong."

Suddenly, amidst the despair and sobbing, He felt the warmth of a delicate, feminine hand touching his chin. For a moment, hope swelled within him, hope that this had not been the end of her, hope that she was there, like she was meant to be.
Unfortunately, that hope was dispelled as the hand lifted his chin up, bringing him face to face with it's real owner. Adagio Dazzle, whom, despite her current human appearance, he knew to be one of the creatures that had been flying through the air, chasing down each of the six pony girls..

"Yes.....you were"
Immediately Adagio's teeth sharpened, her jaws stretching to fearsome, crocadilian lengths as she let out a horrifying roar. It set Normans blood cold, and held him there, lethargic and trembling as the Creature ended its human masquerade and Re-assumed its monstrous form.
When the horrifying spectacle finally ended, Norman found himself face to face with the toothy maw of a fully transformed siren rapidly closing down upon him, and the horrible sickening crunch that ended it all.
...........................

Cold sweat clung to Normans face as he woke from a fitful nights sleep. Attempting to stand up only rewarded him with a throbbing pain in his lower back, A quick assessment of his surroundings immediately made it clear why. As, rather then his soft, warm bed provided by his dear, loving aunt, Norman found himself waking up on a cold, hard, slightly sticky bench in his soda shop.

"Urgh....that's right, those asshats at the repair company. I had to stay here all night to make sure they didn't screw everything up."

He grumbled contempt-fully, recalling the ordeal he went through finding someone to fix wall after the incident with the jabberwock creature. Once they had arrived Norman had to practically follow them everywhere, just to keep them from tearing out anything important like wires or plumbing,Not to mention making sure they weren't stealing anything from the kitchen.

Still, despite being insufferable bums, they did good work. If he didn't know any-better, he would have thought a giant fiery hell-beast HADN'T crashed through his wall and threatened his life, friends, and livelihood.

Unfortunately, Normans personal reflection was cut short, both from the pain in his lower back as well as a fresh new throbbing that took hold in his head. With a heavy groan, Norman finally managed to lift himself out of the ruby red booth seat he'd been laying on to get himself something to dull the pain.

With a few groggy strides The young manager eventually made his way over to his counter, his primary work-space when managing the day to day affairs of his soda shop. Briefly, he took a moment to steady himself once he arrived, letting his hand rest on the cold and familiar countertop he'd so often conducted business on.

After a moment or two, He soon began fumbling for something underneath his counter, idly patting his hand inside the small compartment he kept underneath it, full of the little essentials he'd need in his day to day work.

One of those essentials was a stark white, industrial sized bottle of pills, covered in no less then ten warning labels.
With the deftness of a trained addict, Norman quickly unscrewed the top of the bottle and began pouring an amount of pills far exceeding the recommended dosage into his hand.

After quickly shoving the misused medicine in his mouth and quickly chugging a small cup of water to help force it all down his throat, Norman briskly walked over towards a nearby cupboard and quietly pulled out a mug and poured himself a serving of coffee from the coffee machine, which he'd thankfully remembered to set to automatic before he'd gone to bed.

"mmm....mana from heaven."

Paying little heed to the scorching heat of the beverage, Norman to a deep, long sip from the coffee cup. All the while mulling over last nights events.

The repairs to his shop after the jabberwocky's rampage hadn't come cheap, In fact Fronting the bill right then and there seemed pretty much Impossible without severely hamstringing the budget for the rest of the year, which would drastically cut his business if he weren't able to deliver on his usual of goods for such a long time, hell plenty of menu items would likely need to be cut altogether. He could have pulled out a loan, but he wasn't exactly keen to trade one bill for a massive web of debt he could wind up tangled up in.

Ultimately Norman decided to work with monthly payments, which would hopefully at least give him time to think of something better. Though a small part of him worried about the rates going up if he missed a payment.

A light sigh escaped the teen's lips as he took another sip of his coffee, silently cursing the Canterlot high statue and all of its wicked magic. Nothing good ever seemed to come from that wretched hell-portal.

Well, maybe one good thing

Norman thought as his mind shifted back to the former equestrian bravely standing tall against the slavering reptile monster, while he.....well, cowered behind the counter and called the police.

The young manager facepalmed, partially in shame at his own cowardice, and partially in an attempt to assuage the splitting pain still present in his head. Briefly he wondered if he'd inhaled something he shouldn't have during the repairs.

Well, either way, I might as well get started, lord knows If I end up having to wake up here I might as well get some more done around the place.

After taking a moment to stretch, Norman set himself to work. Mostly it was little things to help get the shop ready for the day ahead, Scrubbing all the calcified grease off the grills, washing out the cups that had been stained by overuse, and Introducing any vermin that had begun taking up residence around the shop to the bottom of his shoes.

All the while, Norman found his mind inevitably wandering back to last night's somewhat troubling dream. Norman didn't know much about dreams and psychology, hell most of the time his dreams were far too boring to even recall, but here, he found it hard to shake the feeling it meant something.

I was with Sunset, we were on, well a date I guess...

Already Norman was forced to consider some hefty implications. Did he, subconsciously at least, feel attracted to Sunset? He certainly hoped not, reformed or not fawning over someone who beat you up didn't sound like particularly healthy behavior.

Although, come to think of it imagining someone being blasted to ash by rainbows wasn't the perfect picture of mental health either. A chill quickly skittered its way down Normans spine as he remembered the Dire scene. If nothing else, he knew full well where that dreadful nightmare came from.

Maybe it's best I don't look into it too hard, we've already started mending bridges, Last thing I need is to worry about crazy dreams or....what happened or didn't happen at the fall formal.

And with that out of his mind for the time being, Norman quickly left for the sink to take a pseudo shower. Which in this case meant taking the spray nozzle and hosing himself down, after which he grabbed some breakfast in the form of some stale chips and some possibly expired lunch meat, the most cost effective thing he could find in the kitchen.

Halfway through with his scrounged together meal (and regretting it somewhat), Norman heard the light jingle of the doorbell, signaling people arriving at his shop. And sure enough as he turned his gaze over towards the doorway in stepped Trixie Lulamoon, one of his "Loyal" employees.

"The great and powerful Trixie has arrived on time wage-slave, now tell your accursed kin to stop dogging her at all hours of the day!"

The young manager barely managed to contain the urge to roll his eyes at Trixie's outburst, Ever since they'd hired on the budding magician/musician, He'd found himself taking the brunt of her many complaints and concerns.

"Oh yeah, it's so terrible that we want you to show up for work on time, we're such taskmasters."

Came the voice of Normans "adoptive" cousin Chloe as she followed behind Trixie, flanked by her brother Cherry Cola.

"C'mon Chloe, she's here now, on time, cut her some slack."

Commented Cherry to her sister, Clearly trying to defuse the situation. Normally Norman would consider this a commendable en-devour.
But, he also knew full well that if given an inch, Trixie would likely take a mile, and then complain that it should be nautical miles rather than regular miles.

"Sorry to remind you, But I'm the one calling the shots here Cherry, and slack or lack thereof will be cut at MY discretion thank you very much."

Norman stated briskly, drawing the attention of everyone gathered at the shop. Cherry visibly grimaced at the Sound Normans voice, taking a moment to glare at him before turning his head away with a light huff.

True, maybe he was being kind of an ass, The fact that Auntie Jubilee had chosen him over Cherry to run the shop had been a source of constant frustration in the older teen.

But, at the same time, He DID have a lovely consolation prize in the form of soft, brown, well kept hair, deep bronze skin, bright white teeth and a chiseled atlas-like physic. So Norman had trouble feeling THAT bad for him.

Ignoring Cherry's response, Norman continued.

"Anyways, since everyone's here, we might as well get started. Cherry, you're on Kitchen duty since Bakin hasn't shown up yet, Chloe, you're waiting tables, same as always, and Trixie, you'll be helping Chloe until you get called on stage."

"What!? Why am I being forced to do menial labor? Trixie was contracted to preform, not.."

"Yes, contracted to preform for ONE birthday party that was unexpectedly "Crashed", legally speaking I could say "not my problem" and throw your ass back out on the street with no pay. But, I'm giving you a second shot, and the faster we get everything moving and making money the faster you can get your check and be on your way."

Trixie quickly fell silent, though clearly still upset she wasn't going to put up a fight with the person signing her paycheck.

Chloe, upon seeing the exchange, gave Norman a confused and slightly disappointed glance. She'd been used to seeing her cousin give curt or sometimes even surly replies on occasion, and she knew full well how he felt about Trixie, Goodness knows Chloe didn't like her either. Still, she found herself Wondering What had firmly lodged itself between Normans buttcheeks to cause him to snap at her like that.

Quietly, Chloe gave a walked over to her cousin, leaning over towards him to speak in relative privacy, with a hushed yet somewhat brisk tone she quickly began interrogating him.

"Alright Norm, what's the deal? I mean I know for a fact Trixie can be kind of a pain, but did you really need to bite her head off like that, or Cherry's for that matter."

Norman gave his cousin a light scoff, accompanied by a quick roll of his eyes, before giving his own, not-quite-as-hushed response.

"Considering I'm running a soda shop and not a three ring circus I'd say I have plenty of reason to, I'm already doing Trixie a big enough favor by paying her, even with the budget being tight right now."

"Tight?"

"Yeah, apparently repairing a giant hole in the wall made by a rampaging lizard is expensive, who knew? Now I've gotta worry about the possibility of mounting repairs bills on top of our usual expenses and budgets. So forgive me if I'm not completely sympathetic to someone who wants to get payed a full wage for half an hour of work."

Chloe looked slightly off-put by that statement, pausing for a brief moment with downcast eyes as she mulled over how to respond.

"Y'know, Mom would probably be willing to loan you some money."

To his credit, Norman did consider this option for a moment or two. Auntie Jubilee did have quite a bit of spare money, and she'd probably be more than willing to put some down to keep the place in decent shape.

But it wasn't long before a familiar fear came creeping into the back of his mind.

What would she think of you if she found out you couldn't handle this one little soda shop yourself?

What would she do when she found out you couldn't keep her pride and joy from going under?

How would she feel knowing you failed her?

A loud "Ding!" broke Normans train of thought,Indicating the arrival of a customer into the shop, and rather unfortunately causing his headache to flare up again.

Looking up at the direction of the irritating sound. The young manager was met with the sight of a lime green teenage girl, with dark green hair, whom he Identified as Sweet leaf, One of his fellow Canterlot High Students.

Rubbing His temple in a feeble attempt to soothe his splitting head pain, Norman motioned for Chloe to move along and make room for people to walk up to the counter.

"We'll talk about this later Chloe, I've got customers to serve and so do you."

Chloe frowned lightly, clearly unsatisfied with the answer. Still, deciding not to press the issue further she walked off.

As soon as she was out of sight, Norman gave a rough sigh and shook his head, before being interrupted by a light cough, which came from Sweet leaf, currently in front of the counter and looking expectantly at him.

"Uh...hey dude, are you and your sister or whatever alright? do you like need a moment?"

"What? No, I'm fine Sweets, what do you want?"

A look of surprise flash across the young eco-teens face as Norman called her by name.

"Wait? How do you know my name? you don't look familiar.."

A Sigh escaped Norman's lips as he pinched the bridge of his nose in disappointment. True, he really didn't expect her to remember that they took history class together, or that he had let her eco-teen friends organize one of their fundraisers for underprivileged wolverines at his shop, but he at least expected her to remember that he ran the damn place considering she was a regular here.

"Don't worry about it, just tell me what you want, please."

"Uh....alright I guess, I'll have,an apricot smoothie with chakra boost please."

"Coming right up!"

Norman responded as he grabbed a cup and placed it underneath the large, churning smoothie machine. Once he was certain that the cup was mostly full, he handed handed it to Sweet Leaf, making sure not to mention that they didn't have chakra boosts for their smoothies or how he was pretty sure that wasn't actually a real thing.

"And, there you are, One apricot smoothie with...uh...chakra boost, that'll be two fifteen"

"Cool! Thanks dude."

Sweet leaf replied appreciatively, quickly handing him a five dollar bill, before taking a sip from the completely chakra-less beverage.

As Norman opened up the register to place the money in and retrieve the change she was owed, he noticed the young environmentalist staring at him with a look of concentration, as if trying to solve some complex riddle.

"See, I'm pretty sure I've come here before, And I don't recognize you at all, are you new or something?"

"No, It's usually me up here, all the time."

He grumbled softly, gritting his teeth as he attempted to count the bills and dimes.

"Weird, I wonder why I can't remember you then."

Sweet Leaf question aloud, scratching her chin quizzically as she attempted to recall all the various people she'd come to know, from her friends in the environmentalist club, to the one cute guy she'd always hung out with in chess club, to that one man who was always pushing around a baby carriage full of overripe potatoes.

"Maybe I'm not real"

Norman replied sarcastically, with roll of his eyes that clearly indicated his had no interest in having this conversation again. However, Looking back up at Sweet Leaf, the young manager had slowly begun to realize this might have been a mistake.

The young Canterlot High student began to sweat bullets as her eyes darted from Norman to the Customers and employees present in the room.

"N-No....that can't, I mean you must be real....Unless..."

"...Unless, what exactly Sweets?"

Norman asked, no small measure of concern present in his voice as he wondered if the girl he was speaking to was high on something.

"It must mean you're a hallucination!"

"Excuse me?"

"I told my doctor I couldn't take those messed up allergy pills he prescribed me!"

Alright, nevermind, obviously she has no clue what "high" even is.

Norman thought dryly, passively watching Sweet Leaf hyperventilating in sheer terror.

"Oh god, I'm gonna turn into an addict, just like mom warned me! I'll have to sleep in a cardboard box and beg for cash just to get b-"

"I was kidding."

The young manager admitted calmly, earning a look of simultaneous shock and relief from his panicking customer.

"What?"

"I was just making a stupid joke."

"R-really? so I'm not.."

"I've had alot of people come through here high, a few of them were even hallucinating, you're neither...trust me."

"But then why don't I remember you?"

Normans expression Soured lightly before he finally decided to respond.

"Nobody does usually."

"Oh.....that sounds like it sucks."

Sweet leaf replied sympathetically, her gaze cast downwards.

"Kinda, Anyways here's your change.."

Handing the bills and coins to his slightly shaken customer. After Pulling her wallet out of her pocket and hastily stuffing the money in the young CH student began striding away, Smoothie in hand, Giving The Manager an awkward wave and equally awkward farewell as she left.

"Thanks dude. catch ya later then I guess"

"Probably"

Norman said passively,offering his own, lazy wave back to the girl as she left. Once she was out of sight, Norman deposited the money into the register and gave a light sigh.

Two dollars down, couple hundred more to go.

The rest of the evening progressed similarly, with customers making their way to the bar and making their orders, some less time, some took more, some sat at the bar with their drinks and food, and others left with them.

Still, Whatever tiny measure of headway he made felt insubstantial, especially in the face of the general expenses simply running the shop accrued.

As He attended to one of his many customers, a familiar voice broadcast through a microphone set itself upon Normans ears.

"Come one, Come all, Come and be amazed at the mystic feats of the Great and Implacable Trixie!"
The young bartender shook his head in a strange cross between disbelief and amusement a smirk present across his features as he watched Trixie currently using an abandoned table as a makeshift stage as she pontificated towards the audience.

Well, at least she's having fun.

"Indeed, though the fates conspired against Trixie, even sending a their mightiest creature in attempt to stall her show, Trixie stands here before you Triumphant!"

As she spoke, Trixie tossed a handful of flash powder onto the ground, causing a plume of green smoke to rise up and form into an admittedly rather fearsome serpentine shape.

"Normally the Great and Powerful Trixie would dispose of such an interloper, but lucky for him one of....lesser skill was there to deal with him."

Norman's smirk immediatly shifted into a frown, completely unimpressed by Trixie's blatant thievery of credit.

Astonishing, she somehow manages to be shameful and shameless all at the same time, THAT at the very least is an amazing feat for the great and powerful Trixie.

Ignoring the rolled eyes and dubious expression she received from the crowd, Trixie continued.

"Indeed any creature would do well not to invoke the mighty wrath of the great and powerful-"

"Sunset!"

Almost as soon as the name was spoken by one of the people in the crowd, Norman's eyes snapped toward the entrance.
Sure enough, there stood Sunset smiling awkwardly, the expression on her face somewhere between Appreciation and Embarrassment.

"Wooo! Nice job yesterday Shimmer!"

"You really showed that Jurassic park reject!"

"You're REALLY hot!"

Sunsets expression immediately shifted from shy appreciation to a full faced blush as she received praise and attention from every corner of the shop. Dozens of people stopped their meals to clap, cheer, and even walk up and shake hands with the former unicorn.

Norman chuckled lightly as the patrons gathered around her, showering the flame-haired girl with continual praise.

Good for you Sunny, you of all people certainly deserve it.

The young barman thought as he dried a crystal clear mug with a rag. Happy to see that Sunset was finally getting the recognition she deserved, even if it seemed to be a little overwhelming for her.

Unfortunately Trixie seemed less happy with this turn of events.

"Well well well, it seems as if Someone has let their recent victories go to their head. So tell me Sunset, Do you think the fact that you took down an over-sized gecko, means you have the talent to try and upstage Trixie, The Great and Powerful?"

With a flourish of her hand Trixie gestured to the spot beside her on the stage.

"Well then why not join me up here and show off all your so-called "magic" in a little contest? Whoever can provide the more dazzling show of talent wins!"

Sunset gave Trixie a quizzical look, as if she'd just realized she was standing on stage, before shaking her head dourly at the magician.

"I don't have time for this Trixie, i'm kind of here to see someone."

The former unicorn said as she cast an attentive glance towards Norman, causing him to smile and wave almost reflexively.

Trixie frowned at the ex-unicorns dismissive response, clearly upset that she couldn't goad her into a contest as easily as she had hoped.

However, upon seeing Sunset give the shop owner her own friendly wave in response, a smug smirk crept upon her face.

"Oh I suppose I understand, after all, it would be a shame if your little friend over there saw you crash and burn."

Sunset affixed the performer with a searing glare, clearly Trixie had pushed the right button that time.

"You can't let her get away with saying that!"

Came a voice from the crowd, joined by a chorus of affirmative murmurs, and taking a quick look around, Sunset could tell that the gathered patrons were all waiting for her to accept the challenge.

Seeing no other choice, Sunset let out a frustrated groan before climbing onstage to confront the magician.

"Fine, if you have your heart set on losing I suppose I'll oblige."

Sunset responded, a hint of her old fierceness present in her voice as she spoke, and for a minute, Norman felt a very familiar sense of dread crawl down the back of his spine.

Alright, so she can bare her teeth when she needs to, good. I'd be kinda worried if she was all sweetness all the time.

Norman thought, as he observed the Trixie tossing a solid white sphere at the ground that erupted into a shower of blue fireballs, bursting in the air and raining down delicate white rose pedals.
The gathered crowd shouted their obligatory "oooh's" and "ahhh's" as they witness the pedals dancing and forming shapes.

"Beat that! Shimmer!"

Trixie said confidently as her pyrotechnic display fired off all around her.

Sunset raised a an eyebrow at the display, her expression completely neutral and unimpressed.

"All flash and no substance as usual Trix"

She said dismissively as she waved away some of the leftover plant matter and smoke.

"I guess its kind of pretty, if nothing else. Luckily I have something a bit more....tangible up my sleeves than tricks."

From out of one of the pockets of her signature biker jacket, Sunset pulled out a silver chain necklace with a sword shaped charm and wrapped it around her hand.

Suddenly her fist erupted into a Turquoise flame that slowly culminated into a near-solid rod of fire, before eventually shifting into a broadsword wrapped in that same luminescent flame.

All the respective patrons gasped as weapon formed, fully enthralled in its silvery shine and bright flames.
With a light "Fwoosh" Sunset gave the sword a few swings and twirls, the fiery blade forming bright rings as it cut through the air.
Which made Norman worry slightly, both for his customers who, while a respectable distance from where she was swinging were still huddled around her, and for his shop, which had already suffered quite a bit of magic-induced damage.

Luckily the performance proceeded and ended without incident, after which the former unicorn quickly shifted the blade back into a necklace, giving a quick flourish to end on.

Norman was the first to applaud, giving a lazy clap to the quick performance. Earning a Blush from the equestrian and a harsh scowl from Trixie.

Still the rest of the shop seemed to agree with Norman and one by one joined him in thunderous applause. Much to Sunset's modest appreciation and Trixie's dismay.

"B-But she's just swinging a sword, any meathead can do that!"

However, try as she might, the magicians protests were soon drowned out by the roar of the crowd as they gave the other girl their praise and adulation.

With a indignant huff, the abandoned illusionist stomped off the stage, taking pause only to give Sunset a scornful glare even as she retreated offstage.

Meanwhile, Sunset set back on her way to the front desk, an ever present grin plastered across her features that only grew with each compliment and cheer she received.

"Well, seems like they enjoyed your performance, Maybe you should give them an encore....wouldn't hurt business."

Norman commented dryly, a measured smile ever-present on his face.

"Well, you'd certainly need to make it worth my while, handsome."

Sunset replied, her confidence lapsing slightly at the end as she'd gotten a better look at his haggard and rough appearance.

The young manager gave a look of disbelief through his bloodshot and bleary eyes, clearly not quite buying the former equestrians compliment.

"You have a strange definition of handsome."

He responded, earning a look of slight embarrassment from Sunset after calling out her slip up. However, as she turned her head bashfully he began to notice something underneath her jacket.

"Are those bandages?"

Norman inquired tentatively, concern evident in his voice as he pointed to the small patch of white gauze over Sunset's shoulder.

"Yeah, took a few hits when I was fighting the jabberwocky."

Sunset explained as she attempted to pull her signature biker jacket tighter to hide the bandage in question.
A fresh wave of guilt washed over him as he thought about the injuries one must sustain fighting unknowable creatures from beyond this universe.Suddenly his head and back aching didn't seem like that big of a problem anymore.

"Sounds rough, sorry to hear that Sunshine."

"It's alright, Someone had to step in, might as well have been me."

"I guess"

Norman murmured casually, a little off-put by the idea that these were the kind of scars she brought home every day.

"It's strange though, all those times you clashed with magic and stuff I never really considered the physical danger of it, I mean besides all the magical cancer you guys probably contracted."

At that Sunset gave the young man a look of utter confusion.

"Norman, magic doesn't cause cancer."

The manager gave an amused snort.

"Sunset, everything gives you cancer"

"The sun, cancer."

He said, pointing out a window,through which, bright sunlight was pouring in.

"These florescent lights, cancer."

Again he pointed up at the lighting set above the counter, prompting Sunset to try and move out from under them.

"And this Soda."
He added as he pulled a can of Colta-Cola out from a nearby icebox and took a sip.

"Liquid Cancer, you couldn't possibly tell me that Volatile blasts of rainbow energy and wild mutation AREN'T going to do something nasty to your cells."

Sunset rolled her eyes dismissively as she watch him gulp down most of the can in a near instant. Letting a smile tease itself across her features.

"Soo, you think maybe you might have some free time to go hang out today?"

A sharp, sputtering cough escaped Normans throat in mid-sip of his soda. Sunset moved to aid him, but Norman raised up a hand, indicating he was fine.

After a few quick coughs and jabs at his chest he managed to clear his windpipe.

"Dunno about that today Sunshine."

Norman said nervously, only just now remembering how he'd agreed to hang out with her, and unfortunately realizing that in his current financial straits he'd have to cancel on that in favor of trying to dig himself out of debt.
Sunset frowned slightly at his response, but managed to brighten up quickly enough.

"Well that's fine, what time works for you then?"

He turned his gaze aside.

"I Don't know, I'm gonna be busy for quite some time."

Admitted the young manager regretfully, trying to make it clear he wasn't happy to admit this.
Sunset seemed to pick up on this, but she looked unhappy nonetheless.

"Oh, I guess that's...."

She paused to give a long sigh.

"....Are you sure you can't, I don't know, move something around?"

"It's not like I have a bushiness lunch to go to, I just need to put in more hours is all."

"Why's that?"

In response, Norman gestured to the newly refurbished wall.

"Had to get the wall repaired after notzilla wrecked through it."

"Oh, well maybe I can help then."

Sunset said hopefully.

Norman shook his head passively in response.

"I can't pay you,the only reason I'm paying Trixie is because I still owe her from yesterday."

"I don't need money Norman, I just wanna help."

"I wouldn't wanna drag you into my problems Sunshine, I can handle this myself."

She gave an angry frown, clearly starting to get more than a little annoyed at Normans stubbornness.
"You're not dragging me into your problems Norman, we're supposed to be friends. Friends help each other out, or defeat monsters together, either of those really."

"You've only been my "friend" for about two days, Shimmer. That doesn't give you the right to butt into my business whenever you feel like it."
Norman replied testily, his simmering frustration clear in his bloodshot eyes, wondering why she was so insistent on this point when he was being quite clear that he didn't want help.

"You don't have to be an asshole about it."
Sunset grumbled back, arms folded and head turned away in reaction to Normans briskness.

A scoff came from the other side of the counter as the manager regarded her bluntly.
"Yeah, you would know all about that wouldn't you-"

His catty comment was interrupted near instantly by a pair of yellow hands gripping his collar and pulling him forward.

"What!?"

Shouted the former unicorn, as she yanked him forward to meet her bleary gaze.
A fresh wave of panic crashed over Norman, as old memories of his old encounters with Sunset flooded through his mind, temporarily overriding his rational thought and replacing it with instinctual terror.

It only lasted a second however, as near instantly Sunset seemed to pick up on his panic and quickly let go of the boys collar and cast an apologetic look downward.

"Sorry.."

"Yeah, me too.."

A quick look at Sunset showed pretty clearly that she was no better off than he was, she seemed tired, probably a little woozy from the cuts and bruises she'd be healing from, Norman mentally kicked himself for not being more perceptive and trying harder to hold his tongue.
Neither of them had been in a proper state of mind when they'd started this conversation, but similarly neither of them were in a hurry to continue for fear of saying something else to offend each other.

After some time, Sunset ventured a small, offhand comment towards the young manager.

"Your jacket is really soft, one of Rarity's designs I presume?"

Norman gave a quick smile, relieved that he wasn't the one who had to initiate conversation, before slowly shaking his head.

"Naw, Suri Polomare, mmmkay"

he said confidently, adding his ham-fisted impression of Suri's distinctive accent at the end. Which drew a petite smile and giggle from the former equestrian.

Something about her laugh made his own smile grow wider, and for a moment a memory of his earlier dream shifted into his mind, drawing the parallels of fear and adoration he felt there.

Before he could think further on this however, he was interrupted by the feeling of a hand upon his own.
Ignoring his first instinct to jerk his hand away from whoever was touching it, he looked up curiously at the girl in front of him.

"Norman, please, let me help you. I can tell it's really frustrating you and the fact that your not letting me help you is frustrating me."

Norman considered the offer. He really wasn't helping anyone by refusing, Sunset obviously wasn't going to take no for an answer, and truth be told he wasn't sure why he felt the need to do this himself.

But soon enough, a familiar feeling churned in the pit of his stomach. The same feeling of shame, self doubt and the odd tingle of loneliness he felt when Chloe had suggested he ask his Aunt for her help.
However, a quick glance into Sunset's deeply sympathetic gaze, reminded him that like it or not, he wasn't alone in this.

"Alright, Alright, you win Sunshine, maybe I am being a bit of an asshole.."

"Yup"

Sunset agreed quickly.

"...and maybe I do need help."

The former unicorn grinned widely in response, happy that her friend had finally decided to take her advice and accept her aid.
"Great , come with me, I think I have something that might help at home."

Without waiting for his answer, Sunset quickly grabbed Norman by the wrist and pulled him along, dragging him from his counter and out through the door.
"Uhhh, Sunset?"

Norman questioned as he was dragged outside by the eager unicorn. His feet barely able to keep up with their movement as she quickly lead him over to a very well maintained Harley Stallionson motorcycle.

"Hey, where do you think you're taking my cousin?"

"Norman, are you seriously blowing us off to go slink off with some harlot? I thought you said you were done with that kinda stuff!"

Out of the corner of his eye, Norman saw his two adoptive family members, Chloe and Cherry making their way out of the shop in pursuit, both of them harboring upset looks, though Chloe's was aimed at Sunset while Cherry's was aimed directly at him.

"Well, y'see I..."

"He was just about to join me, to discuss finances. I don't want to give away too much, but I think you'll be happy to know Norman has convinced me to help you all out with the budget."

Sunset responded happily, causing Norman to affix her with a confused stare as he tried to imagine what kind of financial help one barely grown woman could provide.

Still, He HAD agreed to let her help, and if nothing else he'd always prided himself on keeping his agreements.

"It's alright guys, Sunset said she wants to help, so I'm letting her."
The two looked unconvinced, but decided not to press the issue thankfully, and after asking Cherry to run the counter since Bakin Bitz had arrived earlier to relieve him of kitchen duty (a task he was glad to preform Norman was sure.) He was left free to join Sunset atop the motorcycle.

To his surprise, the leather seating was comfortable, though it left precious little room between himself and the former unicorn, which was...worrisome for the young manager.

"You might wanna hold on to something back there."
Sunset said, as she began adjusting her light purple motorcycle helmet.

Unfortunately, Norman saw precious little to hold onto aside from Sunset herself, and as such opted to leave his hands where they were.
Suddenly, the engine roared to life and gave a thunderous rumble, and with a slightly shrill yelp and a jump, Norman quickly grabbed onto the former unicorns waist.

The young bartender blushed deeply at the touch, but was still far too terrified of the roaring machine to let go. Which, truth be told, suited the former equestrian just fine as she sped off towards her home, the sweetest of smiles forming beneath her helmet.

Author's Note:

This chapter, HOLY CRUD this chapter!! :applejackconfused:
This was a long chapter that STILL really shouldn't have taken this long, It's a shame to admit but I think too many "I can work on it tomarrow's" really kept this thing in limbo for a long, long time.

Anyways, talking about the actual chapter there is a lot I want to say.
It was fun to get away from Sunset's "rose tinted glasses" perspective on this and get a look at her crush in his weakest point. Though it unfortunately starts with another dream sequence, hopefully I'll steer away from those for a while.

Also apologies to all Trixie fans, I realize she can be an awesome character if used correctly, But I'm going to concede I might not be using her correctly, sorry! :twilightsheepish:

P.S: So honest opinions from all of you reading this fic, Do you think I've been making sunset too snippy? I've tried to present both her and Norman as "worn down" in this case, but since this is the second (or third time if you count her minor lashing out at the slumber party) I've had her give an extreme reaction to something.