• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 437 Views, 3 Comments

The Path of the Sky: The Mountains in the North. - Pinkie Breeze



Equestria teeters on the brink of total collapse, but perhaps unlikely heros and an ancient magic can save it.

  • ...
 3
 437

Steps in the Dark.

The looming darkness surround Rarity, threatening to swallow her whole as she slowly and carefully tread the now near pitch black forest, the forest floor which had been home to nothing but tall grass only a short while ago had evolved into a mess of thick brambles and gnarled roots, waiting to trip up an unsuspecting pony at any moment. No moonlight could find it way through the thick mesh of leaves above, and the meagre light she could muster from her horn was barely enough to illuminate anything further than a few feet around her. Rarity could feel the sense of exhaustion slowly creeping up on her, she cursed herself for being so foolish, not stopping to make camp whilst she still had light above her.

She placed hoof over careful hoof as she navigated the cluttered path before her, if one could even call it a path, her eyes searched the ground before her prudently, trying to spot anything that might cause her to fall. She needed to find somewhere clear enough to camp soon or she was afraid she would simply keel over in the middle of the forest from exhaustion at this rate. Rarity let out a pained sigh, her legs trembled and threatened to give way beneath her as she staggered forward in an almost drunken state, she felt hot and sickly, the days travel had surely taken it's toll on her.

Rarity stumbled in her tiredness, her focus had drifted as she had been aimlessly wandering forward into the dark, her hoof connected with a jutting out root or rock below her and sent her crashing face first to the ground, she landed ungracefully, just managing to lift her hoof up to protect her face as she hit the floor, the momentum shook the sword loose from it's scabbard, sending it forward with her, it's steel pommel connected with her horn emitting a loud thunk.

Rarity yelped out as pangs of sharp plain travelled down her horn to her forehead, she managed to get up but disorderedly staggered about before falling into a nearby tree which she used to support herself, her breathing was heavy and ragged as she tried to regain her focus, the world felt like it was spinning around her and the flickering light of her horn was matched the a sharp throbbing pain in her head.

She rested her back against the tree and slid to the ground, her horn failed her and the light that emerged from it slowly vanished allowing the thick darkness to spread in, engulfing Rarity. She cupped her face in her hooves and simply sat unmoving there was nothing to be heard in the encompassing darkness other than her own ragged breathing. Her fore hooves fell shakily by her side as her breathing slowed down, the throbbing pain was slowly coming to a halt, Rarity let out a long drawn out sigh.

“Stupid sword” She quietly muttered to herself, her eyes fluttered and she strained to keep them open, she knew it would be foolish to fall asleep here without a fire or a blanket to warm her but she couldn't help it, she had already felt exhausted before the episode with her horn and now she felt that any energy she had left had been completely drained from her. Rarity felt odd all of a sudden, she should had been freezing in the dead of night, but the dark around her felt warm, and comforting, it felt tangible like she could simply reach out and touch it, her eyelids fell closed and she felt the wash of sleep ready to take her.

And that's when Rarity heard the unmistakable sound hoof steps behind her, trotting briskly through the foliage. Her eyes shot open and she quickly sprang to all four hooves with renewed vigour, no quicker than she had got up she'd turned her head back, grabbing the hit of her sword in her mouth and unsheathing it as quietly as possible, holding the weapon steady before her, waiting to fight. Her eyes scanned the forest around her but nothing entered her vision but complete darkness, she didn't dare try to power up her horn, lest it send her dizzy once again. The sound of rustling grass and trotting hooves had disappeared as soon as she had got up, she momentarily wondered if it had simply been her imagination in a moment of exhaustion.

But then she heard the hoof steps behind her once more, she circled around to where she had heard the sound emit from but was once again met with nothing but a wall of darkness, behind her once more the sound of running hooves entered her ears she span around quickly only to hear them begin again at her back, whoever it was, there was more than one of them. Rarity stood dead still, a thin film of sweat had begun to congregate on her forehead and she dared not make a sound, she could still hear them now, one in front and one behind, circling her slowly, but only in a few steps each time, moving backwards and forward in some clumsy repeated rhythm.

She tensed her muscles, ready to strike at any pony or any creature than might come running at from the thick veil of dark, not that she would see them, she could only trust her ears to aid her now, and then she heard it, somewhere off in the distance but growing louder at an alarming speed, the sound of galloping hooves tearing through the foliage, and heading straight towards her like the very flames of Tartus burned at the hooves. Rarity tensed up, blocking out every sound other than the heavy pounding of hooves against dirt that were bearing down on her, closer and closer, she had to wait for the perfect time to strike.

Raritys ears twitched, they were almost on her, now was the time, she gripped the hilt of her sword hard in her mouth and craned her neck to the left before throwing it right with as much force as she could muster, her legs played along as the swords own weight dragged her around to the charging foe, it would be a clean swing. The sound of the pounding hooves was accompanied by a loud scream, filled with anger and contempt as she span round, but to her shock the swing connected with nothing, there was no enemy awaiting her, the screaming filled her ears and Rarity felt a great rush of wind pass over her body which sent her stumbling backwards, tumbling into the foliage, the scream carried on behind, as did the sound of galloping becoming fainter and fainter with each second.

She quickly got to her feet, wide eyed with panic, twirling round and round, again and again her eyes frantically searching the never ending dark for the invisible enemy, her coat had become slick with sweat and her breathing was fast and panicked. What is this place, what's happening here Rarity thought to herself has her eyes continue to scan the darkness around her. Her thoughts were interrupted however when she heard countless numbers of hooves approaching her and coming to a dead stop a mere few feet away, she gulped and slowly re sheathed her sword, she stood deadly still for a moment too afraid to move a single muscle, she snapped out of it and turned tail, galloping head first into the darkness.

Rarity ran as fast her legs could carry her, behind her, all around her she heard the sounds of screaming voices and uncountable sets of galloping hooves bearing down on her, she closed her eyes shut as the foul noises filled her ears, they served her no purpose anyway, she was blind in these woods she felt like she was galloping deeper and deeper into the darkness, wondering if this was her end she prayed that she wouldn't trip and fall, at this speed she was likely to break something. The muscles in her legs burned in agony, as though they were screaming alongside the trailing phantoms, she had no choice but to ignore it though Rarity knew that if she stopped running, she'd be dead.

The sounds of innumerable screams rattled around her mind, she began to weep openly, the tears falling from her as she charged on with speed, was there anyway out of this darkness, was there anyway for her to escape she thought in her despair, her eyes flew and her heart skipped a beat, in the distance she could see it, pale moonlight spilling in through gaps in the dense forest, some kind of clearing lay beyond. Rarity charged on faster, gritting her teeth as twangs of pain shot through every muscle in her body, she knew she needed to get to the light, just then her hoof smashed against something hard she cried out in pain as she was sent rolling through bushes and twigs.

Rarity screamed in pain, her hoof felt like it was on fire, like it was ready to explode, she panted heavily through gritted teeth but once more the sound of screams and charging hooves filled her ears, she looked towards the light, the roll had carried her a fair distance and now it was only a short trot away, but the phantoms were unrelentingly fast and were gaining on her with each passing second. She got up, grunting with pain as she hobbled forward as fast as she could muster, which wasn't very fast at all considering the limp, the sounds of screaming and galloping where loud now, very loud and growing louder, she looked behind her but once again so nothing she looked forward, the clearing was mere feet away. With a burst of adrenaline and pure determination she broke into a slow run, what sounded like hundreds of screams blared out in the darkness behind her and she felt many grabbing hooves pass through her tail.

Rarity screamed aloud as she threw herself forward into the awaiting pale light, she landed harshly on soft grass and quickly looked behind her back at the the dark woods, a great rush of wind entered the clearing and the sounds of screaming and galloping grew immediately faint and disappeared into the cold air, Rarity stared back into the darkness of the woods, mouth agape in shock and terror. Her heart pounded against her chest, every muscle, every fibre of her being burned and ached, her head pounded in agony and her injured hoof was stained with blood and racked with insufferable pain, but by sol she was alive, she had made it out.

Rarity collapsed into the soft grass, she covered her eyes with her fore hooves and openly sobbed she wished to be back home, among her friends and dresses, in her nice clean kitchen making hot cocoa for Sweetie and her friends on a cold night, snuggled up in her silk sheets, enjoying a book on a quiet rainy morning, but all that was gone now and here she led in the middle of nowhere, weeping with a bleeding hoof. She wiped her tears away with her clean hoof and stood up groggily , she turned her attention towards the centre of the clearing. Four large pointed rocks stood in the centre, their surfaces were too fine and the shapes to elegant to be natural, they had to have been the works of some sort of craftsmen and must have been placed here for a reason.

Rarity hobbled her way towards the stones trying her best to keep pressure off her injured hoof, she reached the stones and flopped against one of them letting it support her weight, the surface was cold and smooth against her cheek and aided in calming her frayed nerves. The stones surrounded a small pool of water that shone a pale blue and shimmered in the moonlight, at it's base Rarity could see hundreds of tiny pebbles, there polished surfaces gleamed in the light and they all shared black coats that were interrupt by streaks of white here and there. Staring at the water, Rarity suddenly became aware of the dryness in her throat and just how incredibly thirsty she felt, she couldn't even recall the last time she'd had something to drink

She dragged herself to the side of the pool and inspected the water more closely, she was always weary upon finding a water source out in the wild as there could be any kind of germ or disease lurking within, to say this water looked clean however would be an understatement, it looked pristine beyond measure and the way the water gently rippled in the wind and shimmered made it look evermore inviting. Unable to contain herself any long Rarity plunged her head into the cool waters she held still for a few moments before throwing her head back, spraying droplets onto the stone and grass behind her. She took heavy, content breaths as she relished the feeling of the cold water that coated her fur, a smile spread across Rarity's face , she returned her face to the pool once again and began greedily lapping up the pristine water.

The taste was incredible as the water filled Rarity's mouth and washed over her tongue, the cold liquid soothed her burning throat, it may have been due to her great thirst or her slight delirium but she swore the water was the best thing she'd ever tasted and there was no doubt it was the nicest thing she'd ever drank. With every gulp Rarity could feel aches and pains around her body grow duller and felt her focus returning to her, she carried on drinking the delicious water until her thirst had been quenched and she couldn't drink anymore. Rarity fell back against the stone, panting in the cold air she smiled contently to herself, the water had calmed her raging mind and the searing pain in her muscles had faded into dull aches, she couldn't ignore the pain in her right hoof however.

Rarity lifted the hoof closer to face to inspect the wound, whatever she had hit and certainly left its mark on her, a large cut had formed across the width of Raritys hoof and the surrounding fur was matted and stained red with thick congealed blood, she tried to move her hoof in a circular motion but found it only caused her a great deal of pain, the bone inside must have broken, she cursed under her breath and sighed in frustration, a cut she could deal with, but a broken bone was a far more serious matter. The cut was still beading, albeit slowly, she mused that must have something to do with the water from the pool, at any rate the wound would need cleaning and bandaging she approached the pool once again and gingerly submerged her injured hoof into the cold waters.

To Raritys surprise there was no stinging, no pain as the water flooded into the open wound, expelling the blood that oozed from it, the dried blood that stained her hoof also lifted and a red cloud formed, spreading about the pool. Rarity lamented, wishing she'd filled her canteen with the sweet water before tending to her injury but to her surprise and joy, the red mist sank to the bottom of the pool, disappearing below, it sank through the gaps in the pebbles and was gone in a matter of seconds the water in turn returned to it's clean, pristine state. Rarity removed her hoof from the pool and decided to leave it wet, pondering that whatever magic the water was imbued with could have some beneficial effect if it was left to dry whilst she slept.

She looked through her saddle bags and pulled out the thin cloth she had been using as a pillow, it would have to do in place of any real bandages, she fired up her horn and was pleased to find no pain ailing her mind, grabbing a corner of the the material in a blue aura, Rarity flicked her head and ripped a strip clean off with precision one could only garner from years of tailoring, using her magic she wrapped the cloth tight around her wound, pulling two strands around her neck and tying them up in a knot to make a crude, makeshift sling, she'd have to fashion some kind of crutch come the morning.

Rarity made herself busy creating a humble fire with the sticks and kindling she had lift, and before long found herself wrapped up in her canvas blanket propped against one of the stones, her few belongings rested beside her, she stared into the dancing flames as she went over the events of the day like a reel in her mind, she pondered what evil dwelled in those dark woods and how she could fend it off if need be she also pondered the pool that lay before her and what magic powered it. She yawned sleepily and gazed into the night sky, the clouds above were few and far between, countless stars shone back at her twinkling like diamonds in the endless blackness of space, the streaming band of the milky way spread across the night sky like a splash of celestial dust, lighting up the endless void with deep blue hues that pulled at Rarity eyes. She stared intently at the lonely moon, it's alabaster form reflected in the sapphire of her eyes, she felt as though it was staring back at her, watching her as though it were a lonesome protector in the darkness of night, and then suddenly, she realised.

“Luna...” Rarity whispered quietly into the nights cold air, her mouth hung agape as she regarded the moon with awestruck eyes, almost afraid to accept the truth that she had just realised lest it be undone and taken from her, her eyes began to water as she covered her mouth with a shaking hoof.

“Thank you” Rarity whispered, a single tear travelled down her cheek but she didn't remove eyes from the rugged orb.

“Thank you so much” She whispered again, wiping the tear from her fur she gazed up at the moon once again, and regarded it with a warm, gentle smile. She stared at the moon with thankful eyes until she felt the soft lulling kiss of slumber take her.

Between the pale glow of moonlight and the orange shimmer of dancing flames, no ill fated memory invaded Rartys dreams, she slept soundly that night with a smile on her face and when the sky passed over Rarity, it smiled back.