• Published 22nd Feb 2015
  • 515 Views, 6 Comments

The Song of Musical Prowess - The Euphonium Brony



Musical Prowess isn't like other ponies, because unlike them all, he doesn't excel at what his cutie mark tells him is his talent. On top of that, no one really wants to give him a chance. This is a story of one colts dream to finally achieve excelle

  • ...
 6
 515

On the Road

The Story of Musical Prowess: Chapter 2

You should have seen the look on my face when I purchased my Euphonium. It was the one I had been dreaming about for so many years. Silver and gold plated, with mother of pearl valve caps, it was everything I could have wanted. Now that I had this, so many doors could be opened. Should I attend music school? play in the streets? Join the circus? All were valid options, but one thing constantly nudged at the back of my mind. I have to leave Manehattan.

Without another thought, I returned to my small, one room apartment above the local StarBucks, and packed my most valuable possessions. My euphonium of course, a hat I’ve worn so often that a prominent hole had opened up, some old drawings of Starswirl the Bearded from when I was younger, and of course, the locket my mother had given me before she passed. The lock has been broken for the past few years, but I knew what was inside, one of the only pictures I had of me and my mom. Even just looking at it again brought a tear to my eye, and I thought, “Would mom be proud of me?” It was a silly thought, of course she would! I’m pursuing my dream, I’m finally leaving a city that has been a thorn in my hoof for most of my life, but at the same time, I wasn’t happy. More than anything, this was my home, and it is the only place I’ve ever known.

As I finished packing, I heard a knock at the door.

“Musical? Musical open up, it’s Jasmine.”

Jasmine was one of the only true friends I had made in this town. In elementary school, she was always the one who kept the bullies from picking on me. At first I hated it, but over time, I grew a deep appreciation and respect for her. So much so that after Octavia left, I immediately went to tell her the news. Obviously she was upset over me leaving, but understood that it was for my own good. I slowly moved to the threshold and opened the door.

Jasmine Berry was incredibly beautiful, in a “we’re-just-plutonic-friends” sort-of way. She had light purple fur, deep pink eyes, dark black hair, and always wore a pink bow. Boy, did she love that pink bow.

“Musical, I know you’re busy, but I was wondering if you wanted some company walking to the bridge?

“Of course Jasmine, I’d love that!” I was planning to walk on my own, to take in the sights one final time, but this sounded much more appealing. I finished up what little packing I had left, and locked my door for the last time. As we began my walk towards freedom, I couldn’t help but notice there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky. It was almost as if the city was trying to convince me not to go.

After 10 minutes of light chatter, reminiscing about all the great times we’ve had over the years, we reached the Manehattan bridge, the portal to the rest of my life.

“Well, looks like this is it.” I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was sad to go. Manehattan had been a huge part my life for as long as I’ve been alive, and now I was finally leaving. Jasmine looked at me, a single tear coming from the corner of her eye.

“You’ll come back and visit right?”

Initially, I didn’t know how to respond to that. Was I going to return? Would I want to return? It was then that I did the same thing I did the previous day with Octavia.

“I promise I’ll visit when I can.”

That put a smile on her face, and we hugged for a long time. It was great knowing that when I return, I would have such a great friend to return home too.

“Make sure you write, okay?” She said, still obviously holding back tears.

“Of course I will, besides I’ll miss your nagging to much.” After she jokingly punched me in the head, I left across the bridge. I don’t think there is any word to describe the feeling I had, other than freeing. Obviously I’ll miss the people who had been a part of my life, but I knew this was the right decision.

I paused right before the end of the bridge and looked back. The city glowed in the afternoon light, and for the first time in my adult life, it looked beautiful. I turned back, took a deep breathe, and continued walking.

When walking, you find yourself thinking many things, but me, I kept thinking of promises. I never make them, in the event I can’t fulfill them, but in the past 24 hours, I had made two. This was so outside of my character, and yet, I knew I would fulfill them. I will go to Canterlot, I will perform for Octavia, and will return to Manehattan!

It was this “can-do” attitude that got me into my first real struggle. I was walking down the road when up ahead, I noticed something. It was a young mare, and a stallion who was making some obviously very unwanted advances. Me, acting like a knight in a fairy tale, rushed over to help.

“Hey, let her go!” I yelled, unaware that this stallion easily had me outclassed in the muscle department.

“Please help me!” The mare screamed, black make-up running down her face.

“No, I’m not done with you, and you, pretty boy, I’d walk away if I was you!” The stallion then turned back to the mare, ignoring that I was even still there.

Before we go on, I must inform you that what I’m about to do is probably one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever done. I dropped my pack, got very low to the ground, and sprinted towards the stallion. Before you ask, yes, I head-butted him. Right in the side.

My eyes went foggy as I reared back trying to catch my breath. The stallion seems unfazed and just looked at me, laughing. “So, the pup wants to play with the big dogs. Fine by me.”

Still trying to regain my footing, I was launched off my feet, hitting my back on a nearby oak tree. The pain was to intense, that I didn’t even see him rearing up to tackle me while virtually unconscious. Preparing to meet my fate, a voice called out in the distance.

“Halt! Leave that colt alone!”

“Damn, you’re lucky today you little punk, but I’ll get you next time.” The stallion ran as fast as possible to escape whomever my hero had been. However, before I could make out his face, my vision grew dark, and I passed out. Some hero I turned out to be.

Connor Bentley
"The Euphonium Brony"

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy the second chapter! Thanks to all of you for reading!

CB