• Published 22nd Feb 2015
  • 1,133 Views, 3 Comments

Cloud Cover - sunnypack



Twilight and Rainbow have been taking flying lessons for a while. But when an accident happens, she learns a little about the local weather management from her friend.

  • ...
1
 3
 1,133

2 - Splash

Chapter 2: Splash

The room was empty apart from the bed that Rainbow occupied. Unlike the last time she had been in the room, there was no pony in the other bed and it was silent in the room, making the simple act of closing the door sound deafeningly loud.

“Rainbow?” Twilight ventured, her voice warbled as she tried to maintain a grip on her composure.

“Ugh, Twilight? Is that you?”

Twilight swallowed thickly, nodding as she replied, “Yes, I’m here.”

Before she could say anything, Rainbow let out a breath and smiled weakly.

“I’m glad,” she said shifting in her bed. The motion made her wince. “I just woke up and I couldn’t bear the thought that you might have been hurt despite what I did.”

Twilight’s mouth gaped and Rainbow chuckled.

“What’s the matter, Twi’? You feeling alright?”

“Y-Yes,” Twilight replied quickly. “I just thought— it was my fault that you’re in hospital…”

Rainbow chuckled. “Don’t be silly. I was your trainer. It was my fault for not watching you. I saw you wobble, and I made a bad judgement call.” She paused. “It was my fault this all happened. I’m glad you weren’t hurt.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, no! Don’t you see? I lost control. You warned me not to take it too fast, but I thought I could handle it. It’s my fault!”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Ugh, I have a feeling that we could sit here arguing all day as to who’s fault it is. Let’s just put it behind us,” she said. She pointed at the reading cart loaded with books. “I’ve read all the books here, so there’s nothing to interest me. Want to stay here for a while?”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “What, here? Just us?” She didn’t think they would have anything interesting to talk about.

“Yeah, you’re my flying buddy, right? We can talk about flying. Or the Wonderbolts. Or clouds. And why they’re so fluffy…” Rainbow trailed off, staring at the ceiling.

Twilight frowned. That didn’t sound like Rainbow Dash. She glanced at the machine connected to the intravenous drip. Ah, it had just increased the dosage for Rainbow.

Twilight grinned. “We can talk about clouds, or flying, whatever you want.”

“Good, I like flying…” Rainbow slurred, then her eyes fluttered shut.

Twilight dragged over a book from the reading cart. She chose the one with the thickest spine. Somehow, she had a feeling she was going to be staying for a long time. But she didn’t mind.

–––––

Rainbow had been recovering for a few days in the hospital. Throughout the time, Twilight had visited almost everyday, but all her friends had dropped in from time to time.

Applejack left her a bushel of apples and baked Apple family goods. Applejack couldn’t stay very long, she said something about cider season coming soon. The prospect made Rainbow’s mouth water, but Applejack had remained coy and danced around the date for when it would be released. Rainbow made her promise to reserve some cider, but the pony smiled slyly and stated: ‘First come, first serve’. Though that made Rainbow roll her eyes, she also chuckled.

Rarity and Fluttershy had also dropped by to give her a bouquet of flowers, a get well soon card, and some chocolates. Rainbow ate the flowers morosely, they were more for the looks than flavour (typical of Rarity) but at least she enjoyed the chocolates. Fluttershy later brought Tank to visit and got a small bird to sing for her. She smiled, remembering how Fluttershy had once brought a small bird to sing for her when she was down in a funk at times during Flight School.

Strangely absent was Pinkie who had left to visit her family. But she had somehow known about the crash and had sent a variety of get-well cakes and confectionary. When Rainbow signed the parcel delivery, the postal mare had chuckled at her expression as she opened box after box of ‘Get Well Soon, Dashie!’ cakes. She also sent a picture of her family looking stoically at the camera with Pinkie grinning wildly in contrast. That brought a chortle out of her bored doldrum.

On the fifth day, she received an urgent notice from Cloudsdale.

Dear Miss Rainbow Dash,

Due to an error in our manufacturing database, a cloud shipment allotted for Ponyville has been made above specifications (technical specifications attached below). Due to water resupply shortages and a high influx of orders, we cannot make, or remake, another cloud to your specifications for the next three months. Our suggestion is that the cumulonimbus cloud delivered be manually broken down to achieve your overcast/light shower schedule for this week. Cloudsdale apologises for the inconvenience, we have enclosed a coupon for a free shipment on your next delivery.

Appendix I: Technical Specifications
Model: Cumulonimbus-XT-110 (Anvil Top)
Density: Maximum (2.0 ddp)
Spell Matrix: Limit — Town (Desig. 0027)
Spectral extras: N/A
Lightning and other weather effects: Limited/Thunder Only

Yours faithfully,

Cloudsdale Weather Factory

Rainbow gaped at the letter for a few moments before trying her hoof at rolling off the bed. The sudden spike of pain arrested her movement and she sat back, trying to calm her whirlwind of thoughts. Rainbow considered calling for the nurse, but noted that the time was nearing four o’clock. Twilight would be here soon, she just had to wait.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Though in reality the gap was only a few minutes long, it felt like forever as Rainbow mulled over the letter and anxiously stared at the clock.

Gotta keep it cool, gotta keep it cool, she reminded herself as the door clicked open.

“Twilight, hey!” she greeted. Her smile felt a little fake on her face.

This was going to be harder than she thought.

“I need a favour,” she blurted out, despite herself.

Okay, maybe not too hard.

–––––

The doctor had his face set in stone as soon as they approached with the idea of discharging Rainbow early.

“No,” he said flatly. “Miss Dash, you’ve had a bad accident. Modern medicine is good, but it doesn’t work miracles. Give your wing a rest.” He glanced at Twilight, frowning. “You might have authority as Princess,” he added for good measure. “But the hospital is my castle.”

Twilight nodded as Rainbow shook her head. She held out a hoof in case Rainbow said anything to inflame the situation. She could see the impatience threaten to overwhelm the pegasus, so she spoke quickly.

“I know, Doctor. I didn’t mean to imply anything. Rainbow Dash is needed to coordinate the oversized cumulus—”

“Cumulonimbus!” Rainbow blurted.

“—cumulonimbus headed towards Ponyville. If it breaches our town without being broken up, we’ll have torrential rain that might result in flooding and storm-damage.”

The doctor considered the statement. He shook his head, sighing, then walked over to the chart hanging off Rainbow’s bed.

“Okay,” he said reluctantly. “But no flying and use a wheelchair. I trust you will supervise your friend as well?”

Twilight nodded. “Absolutely.”

“No flying! How am I supposed to–mmph!” Rainbow’s speech was muffled as Twilight clamped a hoof over her mouth.

The doctor looked between Twilight and Rainbow sceptically. He wrote something on Rainbow’s chart and scribbled on a prescription pad. He tore the prescription from his pad, handing it to Twilight.

“She might need some minor pain meds. Don’t strain her wings and make sure she doesn’t even walk,” he muttered, whilst fixing Rainbow with an intense stare that even made the excitable mare shrink a little. “Remember, no flying,” he repeated, pausing only to note Rainbow’s nod, and then he trotted out of the room, the door closing with a soft click.

Twilight let go of Rainbow’s muzzle as she relaxed. She felt like a storm had passed.

“Don’t worry Rainbow, I’ll take care of your part of the work,” she said giving her friend a confident smile.

The ensuing silence did not bolster Twilight’s confidence.

Author's Note:

Hitting water at terminal velocity is akin to hitting concrete. Though Twilight and Rainbow weren't falling at terminal velocity they were pretty close and it would hurt really bad. Rainbow is lucky Equestrian medicine is so advanced. I mean how did she heal her wing so fast? MAGIC.

Next Chapter: To defeat a cloud. It's harder than it sounds.

As always, my well-informed readers, thanks for reading!