• Published 18th Feb 2015
  • 858 Views, 17 Comments

Series 2) Daring Do and the Caballeron Chronicles - AlmanacP



The second series of Daring Do's adventures. What will she face this time? Who knows, but time will tell.

  • ...
1
 17
 858

4) Daring Do and the Razor of Dreams

Daring Do and the Razor of Dreams



The boiling heat from the lava seared and singed her coat as Daring Do did her best not to fall from the high precipice. She was stood on a high pillar of stone, boiling lava below her, and a golden ring around her neck. The ring shined in the red glow of the room, and its gold glinting surface reflected a rainbow of colours over the detailed walls that had been carved with pictures in times long ago. The pictures told a story. A story of death.

Daring Do turned and rummaged her nose into her saddlebag, pulled out a rope and flung it up high. She managed to capture it onto the large golden chandelier that hung from the ceiling. Pulling sharply, she found it was secured and jumped. Holding on with hooves and teeth alike, she swung across the river of lava that threatened to swallow her should she fall. But the heat proved too much. The rope began to burn and fray and suddenly it snapped. She was falling. Daring Do reached out and just managed to catch herself on the ledge of the opening she had been aiming for.

Curling her tail up against herself as the tips began to smoke lightly, Daring Do tried her best to pull herself to safety, but the ring upon her neck was weighing her down. The heavy gold pulled her towards the lava and towards her death.

The sound of clopping hooves reached her ears over the bubbling of the lava below. “Well Daring Do,” a familiar voice said. “Wonderful to see you hanging around.” The lilt of his voice, the manner of his tone. She knew only one stallion such a voice could belong to.

“Caballeron?” She asked, looking up at him in confusion. “What are YOU doing here?”

“'Doctor' Caballeron.” He corrected with a narrowed gaze. “And I am here on request of course, of our mutual friend.” He grinned.

“Ahuizotl is no friend to me!” She spat back at him, trying in vain to pull herself up, even as she felt her hooves starting to slip.

“Then why are you working for him?” He laughed before he looked down at her, and then looking at the lava. “Tell me, you are a Pegasus, no? Why you hang there like that? Why not just fly?”

“The ring.” She replied, yelping as a rock shifted and fell off at her grip. She slipped and suddenly only a single hoof held her from falling to her death. “It's too heavy.”

Caballeron nodded at that and reached down, slipping the ring from her neck and smiling down at her. “There you go.” He turned and began walking off. Without the added weight, Daring Do began to pull herself over the ledge, grunting from the effort. She rolled over to safety and stared up at the ceiling as she panted, turning to watch the stallion walk away from her.

“Hey,” she called to him, “why help me?” Her only reply from the stallion was a mirthful chuckle.

The sun was bright outside. Stepping from the darkness and the heat of the temple made her eyes sting. But even as her eyes watered slightly from the bright light, she felt a cool breeze over some of her singed coat, and began to relax a little.

“I present to you, another Ring of Scorchero, Ahuizotl.” Daring heard the sly smile in his voice as he presented the ring to the large blue apelike creature that stood nearby. Daring looked over and saw Ahuizotl, her great enemy, standing there with his gang of pets about him. The white cat rubbed herself against his leg, the lynx sat nearby glaring at Daring Do, the panther stalked behind him back and fourth, the tiger was curled up on the floor purring to itself, and the cheetah sat on the branch of a tree above its master.

“Excellent.” Ahuizotl turned to Daring and narrowed his gaze. “You should pick up the pace, Daring Do,” he chastised, “if you do not pull your weight, I shall call our deal into question. Do you not wish to save your friend from everlasting stone? I should think so.” He turned from Daring Do and stalked away, his pets following him as he stepped away. Caballeron turned to Daring Do with a smirk.

They'd collected a total of seven rings thus far, out of thirteen. Daring Do herself had found all of them, but only delivered three of them. Because each time she was even in a spot of bother, before she could get herself out of it, Caballeron would swoop in and take the ring for himself to offer. At first she didn't seem to have an issue with it, he was helping her it seemed. But now she was starting to understand. He wasn't helping her at all, he was sabotaging her. She was supposed to be the one getting the rings for Ahuizotl, if he felt she hadn't done her part of the deal enough, he wouldn't live up to his. He wouldn't save... he wouldn't save Bravely Blue.

*

The water ripples spread out before Daring Do. Her eyes following each one as it spread from their source, to the edge of the small basin pool. She looked up from the water, back to the source. The moving mare that gripped a silver chalice. The Griffon's Goblet. She heard her voice, ethereal as it was, echoing like it were being spoken in the vastest of empty spaces; “It's done... I'm immortal...”

The sky-blue mare before her, laughed and giggled mirthfully, staring at the Goblet as she began to shake. She cackled even as her body turned grey, and as her eyes glassed over, and her whole form turned to stone.

Daring was screaming when she woke up, bolting to an upright position and staring at the foot of her bed. The laughter continued in her head. A laughter that Bravely Blue had never uttered, and certainly had never bellowed out upon her death. Dreams were stupid. She shook her head, and wiped her eyes of tears that had begun to spread down her cheeks.

There was the slightest creek from the floor nearby. Daring Do's trained instincts acted before she could even think. She dove for her saddlebags, yanked out her whip and lashed it out powerfully, the length wrapping around the figure that stood in the darkness and with a heavy thud, Caballeron fell from the shadows to the floor, bound tight.

“Ouch. Well... hello there.” The grey stallion greeted with his usual suave smile. “Could you, perhaps, let me go?”

“What are you doing in my room?” Daring Do asked with a threatening gaze.

This wasn't necessarily her room. It was a room in on the second floor of the Temple. The temple was an old one, it belonged to the Ketztwctl Empress, the current consort of Ahuizotl. Her power was vast, and Daring was not entirely sure whether she was its original owner or not. With power such as hers, she might very well be immortal.

The room was cold, it had a bad draft, the floors creaked and groaned under-hoof, and she had none of the things she needed that she could find in her own room back at the University. She hated it. But it would have to do for now... she couldn't go back yet.

“Why Daring Do, I only came to make sure you were alright. Us adventurers have to stick together, no?” He grinned slyly. Daring Do slowly unbound him, and stepped back to her bed.

“I'm fine, now get out.” She said gruffly, wrapping up her whip and putting it away.

“Are you sure? You don't seem to be sleeping well. Perhaps I could help?” She could hear the grin in his voice.

She turned to him with a glare. “That better not mean what I think it does.”

His eyes widened and he laughed, clopping a hoof on the ground. “Oh no, I wouldn't dream of it. I merely come to lift your spirits. You see, I have a deal in mind.”

“No thanks.” She said, crawling back into bed and turning away from him, staring at the wall with the internal hope the stallion would just leave.

“But you haven't heard it yet. It is quite lucrative for both of us. You see, after we have found all of these rings for Ahuizotl, I will be taking another job. I could use someone of your talents. Wouldn't you prefer to be getting more than burns on that nice coat of yours.”

She felt a hoof lay on her shoulder and start stroking down her back. Daring Do turned and hit him hard. Her hoof crashed into his nose and sent him sprawling to the floor. “Get out.” She said warningly.

The stallion pulled himself to his hooves and rubbed his nose before chuckling. “You disappoint me. But decisions can change. I'll ask again later.” With that he left the room.

Daring stared at the doorway, almost expecting him to come back. Grumbling to herself lightly, she rolled over, wrapped the covers over her and tried to get more sleep.

She wanted to go home.

*

“Daring Do,” said the maniacal voice of Ahuizotl, “come here.” His voice echoed out, reverberating off of the old stone walls.

Daring had been about to step outside of the temple. She was generally allowed to go where she wanted, but there were always eyes on her. Caballeron's services came with a great many goons that he seemed to have no short supply of. They were stationed and guarding most entrances except to the central chamber. That area was guarded by the Empresses personal guard, a nasty bunch of ponies adorned in golden jewellery. Daring knew fighters when she saw them, and she was not looking forward to ever being in a tumble with those guys.

She turned back to Ahuizotl, grit her teeth and went to him... like a called dog.

“The location of the next Ring,” he growled at her, pointing to a map he had on a stone table, “where is the next one?”

Daring Do fished around in her saddlebags and pulled out the chalk rubbing's of the walls and floor and ceiling she'd taken in the temple that was hidden in the rock of the mountain. She laid them on the table and looked them over, finding the location for the next item. She found that this one was set in a body of water. This body of water, according to the topographical maps she had of Equestria, was most likely to be the lake that flowed from the Neighagra Falls waterfall. She explained as much to Ahuizotl.

“Good,” he responded with glee, his cruel eyes narrowed as he turned to Daring Do. “You embark immediately.”

*

The thick brambles pulled at Daring Do's hide, the birds cried above, and the sickly feeling in Daring's stomach did nothing to dissuade the adventurous mare from the task at hoof.

Daring Do flew down into the gorge below slowly and carefully. Circling on her descent she landed on the shoreline of the lake. Looking up at the torrential waterfall, it was plain to see why this was a popular tourist spot. The waterfall was loud and powerful, but also impossibly large. Half the size of the Canterlot mountain itself, the water rushed down in a roaring powerful spray that was extremely beautiful. The light caught the water in such a way an almost constant rainbow graced the waters edge, turning the water into shades of white, blue and gold. She should have visited before this, and probably on legitimate tourist terms. But then again, Daring had never been much of a tourist.

Looking around the water-bank she found the forest had grown close to the waters edge, and nearby areas where anything might be hidden seemed few and far between. But Daring knew she'd find what she was looking for eventually.

“Daring Do, we meet again.” The voice was thick with an accent and a vulgar amount of bravado.

“What are you doing here, Caballeron?” She asked firmly, turning around to face the stallion. He walked towards her and stopped a few meters away; he wore his usually ensemble of hat and coat, and behind him, trailing his every step, were two henchponies, each looked as generically bulky as the last. She couldn't tell them apart really, not that she was ever inclined to.

“You never do seem pleased to see me, am I really that unpleasant? Your friend doesn't seem to think so.” Caballeron flashed her a smirk. Daring remembered how she'd walked in on her friend Melody sharing a romantic hotel room with this stallion. It made her want to barf. Who her friend dated romantically was none of her business, but when it came to slime-balls such as Caballeron? She wanted to grab her friend and shake some sense into her.

Daring grit her teeth and simply repeated herself, “what are you doing here?”

Dr Caballeron sighed, “always down to business. I am here for the same reason you are, to ensure that my employer gets what he desires. Isn't that what you want?”

Dearing Do wanted to tell him 'no'. She wanted to shout at him that she wanted nothing more than for Ahuizotl to get nothing more than a swift buck up the face. But she couldn't, because there WAS one thing that that she wanted more than that.

Bravely Blue.

Daring Do decided not to answer him. She turned away and began to walk, intent on ignoring the stallion as best she could.

“Daring!” She froze at the voice. That wasn't the voice of Caballeron, that was the voice of someone she really didn't want to see right now. “Daring!” It called again and the thud of hooves and the flap of folding wings caught her ear.

“What have we here?” Caballeron commented behind her. She knew what he was seeing, but she refused to face it. She refused to acknowledge its presence. She kept walking.

“Diane,” the voice said, this time using her first name, but this time, as he spoke the tone was different. At first it had been friendly, then it had been full of worry... now it was stern, devoid of warmth. Now it was the demand for attention from somepony that would attack her if it he needed to. Daring Do slowly turned to face him.

“Cloud Zapper.” She greeted the grey pegasus. He was fully armour glad, the golden sheen to his garb glinting light over the ground. But as showy and clunky as it was, it had its uses. She'd seen Cloud Zapper have many expressions on his face, but she'd only ever seen the expression he wore now pointed at her once. The first time they'd met and fought. This wasn't her friend in front of her, it was Inquisitor Cloud Zapper of the 45th Squadron.

“What are you doing here, Diane?” He asked firmly, steadfastly ignoring Caballeron and his henchponies who simply watched the scene unfold with curiosity.

Daring made a point of looking around her. “This is a tourist spot, right? I'm taking in the sights. That's not illegal.” She turned from him with the intention of walking away.

“No but aiding a maniacal villain, is.” She froze at his words. “We know what you've been doing. What we don't know, is why?” He took a step towards her. “Why did you leave the university like that? Why won't you tell me what's going on? And why are you aiding a beast you always swore to stand up to?”

Daring gulped at the lump in her throat. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Bravely Blue.” She said firmly.
Cloud shrugged. “What about her?” He asked, not understanding.

“He can bring her back, save her.” She informed him.

“So that is it?” Caballeron remarked behind them, chuckling to himself. “You price yourself so cheap, Daring. I expected better.”

“Shut it.” Cloud snapped firmly. The tone he had actually shut Caballeron up, making the stallion jump slightly. His henchponies however, stepped forward warningly. The tension in the air was getting higher, and Daring could feel a fight brewing beneath the barely swallowed tempers and stress of everypony involved. Cloud turned back to her and sighed softly. “Whatever he's told you is a lie. I have friends in the Mystic Guard, trust me, there is no way to save her. Come home.” His warmth was back, as though he could appeal to her with it. He was wrong, it only made her resolve stronger.

“I know he can do it.” She lied. She didn't know, but if there was even the most remote possible chance, she had to try and take it.

“I don't know what he's told you, Diane. But if you are here under his orders, I can only assume it's for nefarious reasons... and I'll have to stop you.”

“Aren't you supposed to be hunting Shadow, instead of me?” She shot back at him, seriously not wanting to get into a fight.

“He's gone off the radar. Only Ahuizotl knows where he is most likely, so until he surfaces again I can only deal with Ahuizotl, and whatever plans he might have. Don't do this Diane...”

“My name is Daring Do.” She said firmly and lashed up the whip from her saddlebags as she turned to face him.

He seemed shocked at her actions, his eyes running over her body and posture, noting her combat stance. “Don't do this,” he urged.

Daring shook her head. “I've made my choice,” she said solemnly, committing herself to what she was about to do. “Make yours.” She demanded, her head lashing out, the whip cracking forward and wrapped around Clouds throat. He raised a hoof just before it went taut, giving himself breathing room as he struggled.

“Oh my.” Caballeron commented nearby with a small chuckle, “this should be interesting.”

Daring Do ignored him. She yanked hard on whip and forced Cloud forward. On three legs she thought he'd trip, but his back hooves stamped forward and dug into the dirt firmly, his free foreleg raised and slammed down hard on the whip's taut length, yanking it to the ground and sending her almost off balance from the sudden tug. The whip was wrenched from her mouth forcefully in a manner that had her jaw aching. She saw him looked down to unwrap his neck from the entangled length, and she saw this as an opportunity. She rushed him.

Daring Do bounded forward and lashed out with her hoof, aiming to strike Cloud Zapper round the face in an effort to render him unconscious and out of her way. But he moved before her hoof made contact. He seemed to spin, his wing lashing out. Contrary to the popular belief of non-pegasus, wings are not weak. The strong muscle in what was called the 'marginal coverts', the foremost part of the wing that was made of bone and muscle before it branched off into feathers, were in fact extremely strong. Cloud's seemed to be especially powerful, as the crack against Daring's back sent her back arching and her body sprawling to the floor.

“Don't try it, Daring.” Cloud said above her, looking down at his former ally. “You can't beat me.”

Daring wasn't listening, her hooves lashed up and kicked his from out of him. The moment he fell, she grasped his neck and began to squeeze, choke-holding him from behind. If she could just make him pass out- WHACK!

The ground smacked against her spine as Cloud Zapper's strong neck lifted her up and slammed her back onto the floor again and again. She let go when the wind was knocked from her and she was seeing stars.

Cloud stood back up, coughing to regain his breath. “I... told you, Diane... you cant-UGH.” He fell to the floor unconscious.

Caballeron stood behind him with a large rock in his hoof. “I believe the lady asked to to be called 'Daring Do'.” He turned to Daring with what he probably thought was a charming smile, but it just came off sickly. “A shame, because 'Diane' is such a sweet name.” He offered his hoof to her. She glared at it and slapped it away, pulling herself to her hooves.

“I don't need your help.” She grumbled, turning away and heading towards the waterfall. “Stay out of my way.”

Her wings unfurled and Daring Do soared into the sky towards the spray of water. She landed on a nearby rocky outcrop and looked behind the tumbling water, before slipping herself behind it.

She'd found a cave.

Really it was kind of obvious. If there was ever a waterfall, the entrance to somewhere secret was usually behind it. But even as she looked now, the cave seemed bereft of anything. It wasn't very deep, and the light from outside was more than enough to see that there was nothing here.

“Ahem, Miss Do?” Caballeron's voice said from nearby. She wasn't sure when he'd followed her, or how he'd got up here so quickly, but she didn't much care anyway. He was standing by a nearby wall. He raised his hoof, pushed in a stone and a secret door opened up, revealing a long corridor that instantly became alight in fire from torches lining the walls. “Are you quite certain you do not need my help?”
She really didn't like him.

Not bothering to answer his query, she moved past him and into the corridor. Caballeron just chuckled as he followed her.
The corridor opened up into a chamber. They were high above the floor though, with spikes below them. Across this room was a doorway, at the same level as them, halfway up the wall, and no bridge to cross. She jumped on the spot and flapped her wings, only to find no purchase on the air.

“You can't fly across?” Her unwanted companion asked curiously.

“No, something's stopping me. It's probably magic.” She mumbled, looking up at the ceiling. If she could find something to latch onto, she could swing across... but there was nothing. The roof was perfectly smooth.

“Hmm... I have an idea.” Caballeron said and quickly trotted back the way they'd come. “Don't try anything without me now.” He chuckled.

Almost a full ten minutes had passed since he'd left, and Daring was starting to get extremely bored of just sitting around. Eventually she heard the clip-clop of hooves on stone, and Caballeron stepped into the corridor and approached with a henchpony at his side. This henchpony sported a beard, and was very muscular, but the look in his eyes betrayed how dull witted he likely was.

“Who's this?” Daring asked with a single raised brow, blowing a strand of her grey-scale mane from her eyes in a grumpy huff.

“A volunteer.” Caballeron replied happily.

“Wait,” the henchpony began, “what?” He seemed surprised and a little distressed by Caballeron's words before letting out a distressed whinny as Caballeron pushed him off the edge. Daring Do's eyes widened and she launched forward to catch the pony before he could fall, but she missed... and she watched as though in slow motion the pony began to fall over the edge until... he didn't. He landed on something that glowed and ripple.

The henchpony was still yelling though, like an idiot, flailing as he sat on the rippling air, flailing as though he were falling.

“You aren't falling, you idiot.” Caballeron said with a sigh, stepping forward off the edge casually, the air rippled with every step as he stepped over his henchpony and began walking the length of the bridge.

Because that's what it was. Daring Do stepped forward and felt the firmness of the air, and how it could easily support her weight. It was a bridge of invisible magic. It was a trick, a deterrent to go any further inside. Quite impressive.

She looked to the henchpony who had stopped flailing and yelling at Caballeron's words and now just looked sheepish and embarrassed. Daring was about to ask him if he was okay, but then again, he was one of Caballeron's men, as long as he wasn't dead, she didn't much care. She stepped over him too and followed Caballeron.

“Sh-should I go?” The henchpony asked dumbly.

“No,” Caballeron answered, “I may need you to volunteer again.” The henchpony gulped audibly.

“Go.” Daring Do told the henchpony firmly, motioning for him to go back the way he came. Caballeron raised his brow as she dismissed HIS henchpony. The henchpony looked concerned for a moment before he obeyed and ran back down the corridor and back the way he'd come, leaving Daring Do and Caballeron to their lonesome.

“We may have needed him.” Caballeron said firmly as she walked past him and into the (thankfully) stone corridor on the either side of the room. She didn't mind magic, but magical bridges you couldn't see under-hoof, were not fun to walk on.

Daring Do snorted at Caballeron's words, “you may have needed him, I don't.”

She kept moving. This place seemed to radiate magic, she could feel it vibrating the tips of her wings. As she approached, torches on the walls would light themselves, so she was never left in the dark. She wondered about something... moving to one of the torches, she pulled out a flask of water and doused it. The flame went out, she waited, but it didn't light again. These were not everfire flames. They were not made by the Sapphire Stone. And why would they be? They were on the other side of Equestria, dealing with forces and ancient powers much different than that of the Alicorn Secrets. She shouldn't expect them to mean anything here. She didn't know why... but it hurt her to realise that. Maybe because the connection to such ancient powers were a connection to what happened to Bravely Blue. She swallowed those feelings down, turned away and continued walking, ignoring the curious looks Caballeron was giving her as she stepped past him.

The next room was unlike what Daring had ever encountered before. The room was long with crystals protruding from the wall in regular patterns. She looked at it critically, wondering where the trap was, because surely there was one.

Caballeron seemed impatient. He moved past her.

“Wait!” She called out, stopping him in his tracks.

“We do not have time to dawdle, Daring Do.” He said, stepping forward. He yelped and suddenly jumped back, looking at his hoof. His fur was burned and he was cut. “What the-”

Daring Do looked at the room quizzically before picking up a nearby pebble. She threw it into the room and watched it get sliced in half by something unseen.

“Hold on a sec.” She said, more to herself than to Caballeron. She pulled out a decanter from her saddlebags.

“A drink? Don't mind if I do.” Caballeron said with a delighted expression, reaching for the decanter.

“It's not a drink,” she chastised quickly, watching his expression fall, “it's a cloud in a bottle.” She opened the lid and pulled out a cloud. The fluffy mass of water vapour was held securely in her hooves. It was an interesting little device, developed by a particular friend of hers named Silent Water's. Though she was now out of them and would probably need to stock up on the ponies well made gadgets at some point.
Caballeron looked at the cloud with a huff, “pegasus.” He grumbled.

She ignored him and blew slowly on the cloud, it began to disperse and spread like a mist around the room, slowly but surely, bright red and blue beams of light became visible. They were being emitted from the crystals in a network of beams that criss'ed and crossed in front of them. Like tripwires... but everywhere.

“Magical security beams.” She noted. “Get hit by them, you're fried.” She informed, slipping the decanter back into her saddlebag.

“Well, I'll go get a henchpony then.”

“No you wont.” She barked. “This is dangerous, we're doing this ourselves, coward.”

He didn't seem to like being called that. He glared at her darkly. “What is the point of having henchponies, if I do not get to use them.”

She ignored him. Daring do pulled out a band and tied up her mane so it wouldn't get in the way. She looked across the room, slipped off her saddlebags and threw them hard, they flew over the beams and to the other side of the room skilfully.

“Follow me, do what I do. That or leave.” She shrugged, not caring which he chose.

Daring Do leapt forward over the first beam and ducked under the next. These next were close together, so she flattened herself into her back and slid underneath them. The next one she stepped over, the one after that required her legs to be raised higher than normal, her belly almost grazing the blue line as she made it over. She panted softly. She was halfway now. She leapt over the next, rolled under the other, jumped and span in the air, landing over the last with perfect poise. She grinned to herself. Damn she was good... an alarm blared.

An alarm sounded out in the form of a loud screech and a rumbling of the walls. She looked over her shoulder and saw Caballeron, standing there, hugging a burned hoof that he'd caught in one of the wires. The wires shut off and the walls began to close, the doorway out of the room, suddenly slamming closed with a thick slab of stone.

Daring Do glared at Caballeron.

“He-eh... oops?” He remarked nervously.

She didn't say a word. Because if she did, she might resort to words that were not so nice.

She turned away and looked around them as the walls slowly began to close in on them. “There must be a way out.”

“I don't think there is,” Caballeron said with a heavy sigh, “I think this is where our journey comes to an end... but if that be so, Daring, may I ask a favour?”

She looked to him quizzically. “A favour?”

“Yes, we might die in here today, and I cannot help but notice your beauty,” he wriggled his eyebrows, and Daring Do's stomach did a twist in her gut, “If I am not being too bold, I would like a kiss, from a beautiful mare.”
She stared at him, before putting on what she hoped was a bashful and seductive smile. “Sure... I was kinda hoping you'd ask.”

His eyes lit up. “Really?”

“Why of course.. you're the perfect stallion for me.” She leaned in slowly, “handsome, adventurous... and an utterly.. wonderful,” she moved closer, “spineless, and disgusting coward.” His eyes widened, and her hoof struck him right on the nose, sending him sprawling to the floor. She looked down at him in disgust. “I'd rather kiss Ahuizotl,” she glared, “at least he's not spineless.”

Daring Do turned away from Caballeron and began moving her hoof over the walls, trying to move quickly while the side walls continued to close in on them. “When building these places, they liked to test the traps, to make sure they worked, so they'd put ponies inside. But always with a way to get out,” she said firmly, trying to forget what had just happened. Caballeron seemed to have recovered, though he was now sporting a nosebleed.

Daring Do found the stone she was looking for and pushed it on, a secret door opened up, and she grabbed Caballeron and dived through it into the darkness of the corridor beyond. The walls slamming shut behind them.

Daring Do pulled a lamp from her saddlebags, turned it on and lit up the corridor they were in. The walls were lined with glyphs and writings in ancient equestrian, she'd usually have tried reading them, but she neither had the time, nor the patience at this point. “Come on,” she barked at Caballeron through the lamp handle she held in her teeth. They began to moved down the corridor in silence. Caballeron, thankfully, saw fit to keep his mouth shut the entire time. Probably a wise decision. Honestly, asking for a kiss, Daring was tempted to punch him again at the thought of it.

The corridor opened up to a final room. There at the end was what they'd been hoping for. One of the Ring's of Scorchero. It was held in the nose like a piercing of a giant Minotaur statue. The room seemed void of anything though, no traps. The ground was gridded with squares, but they were large boxes rather than simple tiles. And Daring did not trust them.

“Hmm, there's bound to be some kind of trap here.” Caballeron mumbled, looking over the floor and walls.

“So you aren't entirely incompetent.” Daring remarked.

“Of course not,” he answered, “I may not be as, if you'll excuse the pun, 'Daring' as you are.” She glared at him for the joke. “But I am still a veteran of the field, and have raided many a tomb in my day... just, I admit not for a while.” That made Daring wonder just how long it really had, and how many ponies he'd sacrificed for the treasures he'd acquired rather than taking the risks himself since such days.

Daring Do decided to use the tried and true tested method, of throwing a rock to see what happens. She did just that, the rock bouncing on the floor and seemingly unharmed. No traps tripped, no shots were fired from holes in the walls, no lava erupted from the ground. The room remained still and silent, which in itself, was more worrying than anything.

“Well, I guess there's only one way to deal with this.” She stepped forward.

Immediately the ground erupted in light. A large cube of magic surrounded her. The squares on the ground became boxes and cubes and small one meter rooms for her to stand in, and from what Daring Do could see, they were turning. A magical maze puzzle. She reached a hoof for the magic and touched one of the walls, this rotated her cube, as well as others it was connected to. She would have to rotate the cubes in the correct sequence to make it through the maze. One wall of the cube wasn't filled in on each cube, she stepped into the next one, when Caballeron stepped into the one she'd previously occupied.

Daring Do began slowly navigating, turning and backtracking, moving left and then right, moving from square to square. As she opened up paths for herself, she would also open up paths for Caballeron. Until she made a mistake. She turned right, ended up in a cube on the far end, and found that she was indeed, on the wrong cube. She could see the path now, but that would involve going back through twelve other cubes. She began to make her way back, only to watch the path open up for Caballeron. He stepped through and looked back at her smirking. She was stuck in the magical confines of the puzzle, and he'd already reached the prize, once again, by her help.

“Wait there, Caballeron.” She ordered sternly as she continued to backtrack until she could get on the right path.

“Oh I would Daring Do, but you sere, I do not like you, and with each of these I offer to Ahuizotl, the more money he pays me. So, ta-ta.” He yanked the ring down from the nose of the stone Minotaur.

Something began to creek.

The Minotaur took a step forward. It's fist lashed down for Caballeron but the quick stallion managed to dodge, run around it and dive through a doorway to his left. He left behind a small round orb that fizzed... a bomb.

It erupted and the way out collapsed, sending the Minotaur back, one of its arms being blown off. The magical puzzle fizzed out, freeing Daring Do from it's confines. The Minotaur stood up, looked at the rubble that now blocked it's pursuit of Caballeron, before turning to look at Daring Do.

She was trapped in there with a stone Minotaur, and he looked upset.

Daring Do sighed to herself and lowered her head, she closed her eyes, steeling herself to the moment before she opened them and charged, the Minotaur charged at her in turn.

Never back down.

*

“The latest Ring of Scorchero.” Caballeron offered Ahuizotl, wearing a large grin.

Ahuizotl took the ring and looked it over, his face adorned with a grin. They were outside the Temple, and Ahuizotl had been waiting for them both. But for some reason, only Caballeron had returned. “Soon I shall have them all.” He looked back to Caballeron, “and where is Daring Do?”

“Here!” Her yell pierced the sky as she flew down on a rope, her hooves pulling the golden Ring from Ahuizotl's paws. She landed nearby and looked back at them with a grin.

“What is the meaning of this, Daring Do.” Ahuizotl growled darkly. “Give me-”

“I'm sorry, Ahuizotl,” Daring Do began with a sigh. “I think I'm done taking orders from you.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, I had a bit of time to think...” She reached into her saddlebag and pulled out her pith helmet, her hoof stroking over it gently. “I want her back,” she admitted, “but the I'm starting to think the cost is too high.” She looked to Ahuizotl and Caballeron's shocked faces. “You've always been trying to go for immortality, Ahuizotl. Bravely Blue used you when she sided with you, to save herself. But she probably never planned to give you a drink of the Griffon's Goblet.” She chuckled. “And she'd never forgive me if I saved her, by granting you your wish.” She slowly put the pith helmet back on her head, feeling much more like herself than she had in a long time.

Ahuizotl yelled in rage. He charged at her, his fists raised before they slammed down powerfully. Daring Do waited till the last moment, dived to the side, and bucked out with her hind legs, slamming her hooves into the side of Ahuizotl's face, knocking him into the nearby wall with a loud thump.

Daring turned and ran. There was Ahuizotl, Caballeron, and Caballeron's guards to deal with. A loud growl and a yell from Ahuizotl reminded her of one other set of foe's she'd have to deal with... Ahuizotl's pets. She couldn't face them all alone.

The Panther jumped down from somewhere high. Daring Do barely avoided its swipe with a dive and a role before she took to forest. Diving and jumping over roots and logs, moving through the tree's, changing direction every so often and diving into streams to wash away her scent. She ran for almost a full twenty minutes before she finally slowed her pace to catch her breath.

She looked back towards the direction she'd ran from, listening closely to the whispers of the forest. Trying to determine if she'd been followed. But thankfully, it looked like she was safe for now. Daring Do breathed a sigh of relief, the ordeal had taken a lot out of her, and now she was unsure of what to do. She had sabotaged any chance of resurrecting Bravely Blue, but she knew it had been the right choice. It was the choice Bravely would have made. But now she had to stop Ahuizotl, she had to stop his dastardly plan. If she allowed him to invoke the power of the Rings of Scorchero, Ahuizotl would extend his life eight times over, and in such a time, he could wreak great havoc upon Equestria.

“You look deep in thought.” A familiar voice called behind her. She turned to see Cloud Zapper, the Royal Guard, adorned in his gleaming armour, he laid casually on the branches of a tree above her. “So, does this mean you're no longer helping Ahuizotl?”

“The cost was too high.” She answered him, turning away from him.

“Good, then let me help you.” He jumped from the branch onto the ground with a skilful landing.

“No.”

“No?” He looked confused at her answer.

“No,” she repeated, “I don't want your help, and I don't need it.” She said firmly.

Cloud's almost friendly demeanour began to grow colder. “You can't defeat them by yourself.”

Daring Do chuckled. “I've faced worse odds, way before you ever came into the picture. I'll be fine.”

“I'm not leaving you, Diane.”

Daring's wings flared in anger. “My name is Daring Do, USE IT!” She demanded, Cloud seemed genuinely surprised at her anger. She turned from him. “You just want Shadow, right?” She glared at him over her shoulder. He nodded in answer. “Then I'll help you get information on his whereabouts, you help me get to the Amulet of Atonement and the Shield of Razdon, and when this is all done... we go our separate ways.” She began to turn and head back towards Ahuizotl's temple.

“Why?” Cloud seemed genuinely upset. “Why are you pushing me away, I thought we were friends.”

Daring Do paused mid-step and sighed to herself. “We were.” She said gently. “But being your friend made me rely on you... and relying on you made me weak.” She looked over her shoulder at him, her eyes haunted with the sadness of her own mistakes. “And being weak killed Bravely Blue.”

Daring Do continued walking, and Cloud, to his credit, didn't respond. He just fell into step with her, silent. She was grateful for that.

They approached the Temple again. The Empresses guards were out in full force. Ponies in ancient golden armour that seemed far too bulky to ever be of practical use in combat, but the way they stood and moved told her they were powerful. Being twice the size of her was also an intimidating aspect.

Caballeron was there with Ahuizotl, the stallions henchponies around the area, twice as many as the Empress had guards, but at least they were stupid and easy to overcome. Their danger was in their numbers, not their skill.

And as for Ahuizotl himself, well he looked extremely upset.

Cloud Zapper sighed at the sight. “There's too many of them. If I had a platoon with me... we might need to get out of here and come back with some friends.”

Daring Do heard the telltale sound of something approaching. Bipedal hoof-steps. “No need, I brought one.” She grinned.

Suddenly from the tree's erupted the giant stone Minotaur.

Caballeron's scream was satisfyingly mareish.

Daring Do looked smug. “Lets go.” She grinned, seeing at the corner of her eye, Cloud Zapper's shocked face as the one-armed stone Minotaur flung ponies off into the tree's of the forest when they tried to attack it.

They made their way into the Temple while the commotion happened outside.

“Where did that thing come from?” Cloud hissed at her.

Daring Do shrugged. “A temple behind the waterfall. Caballeron trapped me with the thing, I managed to get out. It gave me time to think about what I was doing and the price I was paying for helping Ahuizotl, it helped me make a decision.” She put a hoof to her chin thoughtfully. “Remind me to thank Caballeron at some point. But yeah, instead of beating the thing, I led it back here, put enough distance with flying so I could use it as a distraction after I'd already grabbed this.” She tapped the Ring of Scorchero that still hung gleaming around her neck.

“So, what first?” Cloud asked as they stepped through into the main area.

“The information on Shadow will probably be in Ahuizotl's room, he shares it with the Empress so that'll be guarded. We need to dispel her magic and defeat Ahuizotl, then we'll be free to get what you need.”

“And how do we do that?” He asked curiously.

“Well,” she began, “first we need to get past the guards blocking the central magical chamber. That houses the Shield of Razdon, which is the only thing that can stop the Ketztwctl Empress.”

They both peaked round the corner and saw the guards standing there. Huge Clydesdale ponies in magical armour. “And how do we get past them, they look a bit dangerous.” Cloud Zapper muttered.

“A great Royal Guard Inquisitor like you can't handle them?” Daring Do asked with a playful smirk.

“Maybe one.” He mumbled, “but probably not both. Can you take the other?”

Daring Do sized up the guard before smirking. “Not yet.” She turned and ran down the corridor towards a different area. Cloud Zapper followed her stealthily, wondering where she was going.

The adventurous mare headed towards a different corridor and looked round. This one held the entrance to a room that was also guarded, but this time only by Caballeron's guards. She smirked and stepped out, padding up to them casually.

“I'm gonna need you fine gentle-colts to let me past.” She said in a sickly sweet manner.

“Erm... we can't do that.” The left one answered. He had an orange coat and a deep brown mane. His colours were utterly boring, and his brown eyes were betrayed a dull-witted personality.

Daring Do leaned in close and nuzzled the side of his face. “Surely you can skirt the rules, just a little. I only need one thing... it's for your boss anyway.” They obviously had not yet heard about her defection from the ranks.

“We ain't supposed to let no-pony in.” The other one said, in a gruff voice, looking at her with a glare.

Daring Do turned to him with big eyes, looking desperately and cutely pathetic. “You... don't trust me? But... I try so hard.” She leaned in and nuzzled his chest, looking up at him. “Is there anything I can do to change your mind?” She asked, biting her bottom lip and looking up at him with a lidded seductive expression. The pony looked from her to his friend, obviously unsure of what to do.

“I... well... I suppose... I mean... we really shouldn't...”

“What if,” Daring Do began, giving him a somewhat naughty smile. “What if I made it worth your while?”

“R-really?” He asked, his eyes wide, obviously interested. “How?” He asked, a stupid grin spreading across his face.

Daring Do thought for a moment. She leaned in and whispered something into his ear. His cheeks burned a bright red, before his face contorted suddenly with pain as her hooves lashed out for a particularly sensitive area. He fell to the floor, and before the other one could react, she bucked out with her hind legs and struck his face hard enough to send it back against the wall. Both ponies fell to the floor, one unconscious, the other one probably wishing he was unconscious.

“Stallions.” Daring Do smirked, “always with only one thing on their mind.” She stepped over them into the room and grabbed what she needed before walking out. Cloud Zapper was stood there waiting for her, his eyes wide as he looked at the poor ponies still on the ground, one of them writhing in pain.

“I've met many a mare in my time, even fought beside a few.” He remarked, “you're by far the scariest.”

“I'll take that as a compliment.” Daring Do smirked as she led them back to the corridor with the empresses guards.

“Is that what I think it is?” He asked looking at the amulet she held in her hooves. It was blue right now, but would turn red if she put it on. It was a special amulet that went by many names. It was the depiction of an Alicorn around a bright colour-changing jewel. When she put it on, it would enhance her natural pegasus magic immensely, providing her with more power than ever before. The problem, was that the power was seductive, and only she could remove it, willingly. And the Amulet had ways to convince the wearer not to do that.

“The Amulet of Atonement, yes.”

“Is that safe?” He asked, sounding concerned.

“No, but as Bravely Blue once told me, 'safe is never in the job description'.” She slipped the amulet around her neck and the jewel began to glow a bright red. She suddenly felt power rush through her hooves and feet. It felt like she was walking on lightning.

“You take the one on the right, lefties mine.” She grinned at Cloud Zapper, and before waiting for his response, she suddenly burst around the corner.

Daring Do's wings flared, and a stream of charged lightning magic following her in a trail as she flew at a speed she'd never been capable of before. The guards seemed surprised, barely having time to react as her hooves suddenly struck into the guard on the left, driving him into the wall. He managed to just block her with his staff, his hooves lashed out and struck her in the side, she struck the wall. The sound of a scuffle nearby told her Cloud had engaged his opponent. Daring Do dropped to the floor, flapped her wings hard and the rush of wind from them smashed her opponent against the wall in turn. Her wings began to flap faster until the wind swirled together to form black clouds. With a crack of her hooves, lightning erupted from the clouds and struck the pony. He yelled out in pain, but his yells did not last. Daring Do watched as the stallion's teeth grit and his staff pushed forward, the lightning striking the staff, him resisting it with all his might. He lashed out with the staff and the lightning was redirected against the wall, exploding stone into rubble. When the smoke cleared, he and Daring Do were at a stand-off, waiting for the other to make a move. He moved first, his staff smashing down, the magic erupting through the stone floor, erupting it below her hooves. She leapt to the air, and smashed down with all her speed and might, something popped and erupted and suddenly a shock-wave erupted from her in a sonic shock-boom. A black electric monochrome shock-wave erupted and knocked both Cloud Zapper and his opponent, as well as her own, across the corridor violently, her own opponents flying through the door he'd been guarding, lying unconscious on the ground. Everypony outside would likely have heard that, so she had to move quickly. She dashed with amazing speed through the room till she found what she was looking for.

There it stood, on its own pedestal. The disc shaped shield, with the power to dispel the great magic of the Ketztwctl Empress.

Daring Do reached out her hooves to grasp the shield, only to be met with a blast of lightning up her hoof. She yelled out before her vision began to become dark, and soon it felt like she were falling.

Everything went dark.

*

Diane Do awoke with a groan, rubbing her head. The bright light of the sun streamed in through the windows and hurt her eyes, so she grabbed the covers of her bed and wrapped them around herself, covering her face in the blanket to shield herself from the suns harsh glare.

“Come on, Daring.” Bravely Blue chirped from nearby, poking her playfully. Daring... she loved that name. It wasn't even her name, it was a nickname her uncle had given her because of how adventurous she'd been as a foal. But she'd liked it so much, she often introduced it as a middle name and her mentor, Bravely Blue, had taken to calling her 'Daring' rather than Diane.

The adventurous mare loved it. Every time she heard Bravely call her that name, it felt like lightning up her spine, like the motivation to always do justice to the name.

“DARING!” Daring almost yelped and fell out of her bed as she heard somepony shout in her ear. It sounded like a stallion.

“Ouch, what was that for?” She mumbled, pulling the covers from her head and looking grumpily around the room. There was no stallion, that was weird.

“You weren't getting up.” Bravely Blue answered, the mare standing nearby with a smirk. Oh, so it had just been Bravely yelling... but she never yelled. Well, Daring had been a bit lazy lately. Maybe she deserved it.

Daring pulled herself from the bed and stretched, looking for her school shirt. She found it and slipped it on, doing up the buttons. “Okay, I'm ready.” She told Bravely Blue.

The sky blue mare with a golden mane smiled warmly at Daring Do and led her out of the dorm room. Beatrice Bravely Blue was the head professor of Archaeology and Excavation Exploration at the Clopsdale University. She was also the personal private tutor of Diane Daring Do. Not because she could afford one or asked for one, but because Bravely Blue had taken Daring Do under her tutelage voluntarily.

Together they made their way to the classroom. Daring Do took her place at the back of the class where her seat was, ignoring the looks of the other students as the 'favourite' student took her place. She pulled out her notes, and as the lecture began Daring began to write down her notes by mouth, paying diligent attention. Her attention, half way through the lecture, shifted to the window. It was a gorgeous day outside, with fluffy white clouds and a gorgeous blue open sky. It was perfect weather for flying. She grinned to herself at the thought, and figured maybe she'd find one of her friends and they could go enjoy some races today.

“Diane?” Bravely Blue's stern voice cut through her musings. She eeped after realising everypony was looking at her.

“S-sorry, I was distracted.” She admitted, biting her bottom lip habitually.

“Were you distracted last night too?” Bravely asked curiously.

“M-miss?” Daring replied, feeling confused at the question.

“Because if you weren't, I'm going to assume you did the assigned reading and can answer the five main causes of excavation degradation.” Oh, Daring knew this one.

“I did the reading.” She slipped from her seat to go down to the board to answer the question, but she slipped on one of the steps and knocked a few papers to the floor from another students desk by mistake. “Sorry.” She eeped, helping her pick up the papers.

'WAKE UP!' The words were big and bold on the paper in front of her before the student snatched it back. She looked to the student... but couldn't find any description for them. They were there but... what colour was their coat?

“Hey Daring.” Swiftcall said from beside her. “Wanna go play?”

“Yeah sure.” She found herself answering happily, her broad smile directed at the purple pegasus... but Swiftcall dropped out of these classes... he became one of the fastest message deliverers, and lately he'd been skittish and afraid of something... when was lately? When did he play? He'd never been very social.

Daring Do looked back to the students and found all of them featureless... but surely they weren't really featureless...

...this wasn't real.

“Of course it's real.” Bravely Blue was suddenly there, and water sloshed around both of their hooves. Daring Do looked around them.

They were back in the Terrifying Tower. Back in the place that... that... Bravely Blue was there, the Griffon's Goblet in her hooves. “I've drank it. now I'm immortal, so now we can destroy the thing, and I'll never leave you. Okay?”

Daring Do started to nod, the thought of Bravely Blue never leaving her...

...but she had left her. Bravely Blue was dead. This was all a trick.

Daring Do closed her eyes. She bit her lip, concentrated. “This isn't real.”

“It could be.” A different voice spoke this time. Daring Do looked up, and found herself alone in a dark place. The floor didn't seem to exist but she wasn't falling. It was like she were in a room of nothingness. She looked in the direction of the voice, and slowly from the darkness, green eyes of fire appeared, soon followed by a crème coated mare.

The Ketztwctl Empress.

“This is my greatest power.” She said softly, presenting this dark place. “It is called, the Razor of Dreams.” She said warmly. “This is where I make fantasies reality. I can bring anything fourth from your mind and make it real for you, I can give you any life you wish.” She smiled in a manner that was almost kind. “Many never figure out that what I have shown isn't the real world, but your mind is strong. So I decided to be honest.”

“Let me out of here.” Daring Do said, but was surprised when her voice lacked conviction.

“Back where? Back to where you fight every day to survive? Knowing that your mentor, the one you valued most in the world, is dead? Where your own friends despise you for walking away from them, when they were just trying to help you? You are a stain on their lives Daring Do.” She chuckled. “Surely they'd be better off without you, so why not stay here? Where you can have everything you could ever want, and their lives will no longer be hurt by your actions.”

Daring Do closed her eyes. She was right probably. She'd only hurt Cloud, hurt Caffeine, she'd probably somehow hurt Swiftcall at some point which is why he seemed so afraid of her last time she'd seen him.

“DARING! DON'T LISTEN TO HER!” The voice of a stallion burst through the darkness, but soon vanished.

“What was that?” Daring asked, looking around.

The empresses eye twitched in annoyance, but she tried to keep her smiling face kindly. “That was nothing, an echo of... something. No need to pay it any mind. So tell me, what fantasy should my Razor give you?”

“How real are the fantasies?” Daring asked, looking around her.

“Real.” She said softly. “The Razor is a great magic that forges a world just for you and your mind. This darkness here is the nexus, a place for our minds to connect. Everything I build for you is real in here.” She informed. “There is no trickery.”

Daring Do thought for a minute and nodded. “I want the box... the box from Bravely Blue's room. The one from under her bed.” She said softly.

It appeared right before her. “What's in it?” The Empress asked curiously.

Daring Do picked up the box. “Let me show you.” She said warmly. “Bravely Blue found this in an ancient cave that had once been the dungeon of a great temple, but the temple had been destroyed aeons ago. But this was in perfect condition.”

The Empress leaned in. Daring Do reached into the box and suddenly pulled out a long glinting sword. She lashed out and drove the sword deep into the Empresses body.

The Empress's eyes widened. “W-why?”

Daring Do looked up into her eyes. “Because the price... was too high.” Tears ran down her own cheeks as the entire world around her cracked and exploded.

*

Daring Do found herself waking up to screams.

The Ketztwctl Empress stood before her, Cloud Zapper yelling at her from within a powerful bubble of magic, desperate for her to wake up. It had been his voice she'd heard in the dream. The screaming was from the Empress, she was clutching her head in pain. Daring took the chance and grabbed the Shield of Razdon from nearby. She turned back to the Empress only to find her face to face with her, the green-eyed mare looking enraged.

“You shall not take my victory from me!” Her magic suddenly rushed out. It erupted in bright beams and began to swirl around Daring Do powerfully, the room began to shake and Daring Do began to understand just how powerful this mare was. Ahuizotl was dangerous, but this mare... she was a different kind of dangerous. Daring Do raised the shield aloft her head, the magic from the shield began to glow and suddenly the purple magic of the empress began to become gold, the magic began to swirl around the unicorn. And she began to yell curses as the Radiant Shield of Razdon's magic bathed her in a bright golden glow. Suddenly it erupted, the magic blast apart the roof and then everything went silent.

The Ketztwctl Empress stood there, seemingly unharmed. “What?” She asked curiously. “Am I so powerful that the Shield cannot touch me... FOOLS!” She cackled loudly, she pointed her horn at Daring Do, and our adventurous mare waited in horror, waiting for whatever ghastly spell this mare might cast, what dangers and horrors she might conjure. Would she turn her to stone? Would she resurrect the dead and have them tear Daring Do apart? No? Nothing? Eh?

Daring Do opened a single eye after realising she'd closed them, but not entirely sure when she had done so. Before her stood a very curious mare, her tongue out slightly, her face screwed up in concentration... and nothing happening.

“Erm,” Daring Do began, “you okay?”

The Ketztwctl Empress opened her eyes with a confused look. “It's not working? Why isn't it working?!”

Daring Do shrugged. “Well you know, performance anxiety, one in three-”

“I AM THE KETZTWCTL EMPRESS!” She screeched, and really, it was a screech, high pitched enough to hurt Daring Do's ears. It reminded her of a school filly throwing a tantrum... which it then began to mimic more, complete with stamping of the hooves and guttural grunts of frustration and, oh look, more whining about it not working. Huh.

Daring Do clapped her hooves, rain-clouds appeared and she smirked at the empress who's eyes widened in fear. Lightning struck her rump. She squealed and began to run with Daring Do chasing her.

She chased the Empress outside, Ahuizotl watching her. “Where are you going, come back my empress, let us defeat them together!” He growled, before turning back to the temple. “I will destroy you, Daring Do-” He went silent. Daring Do stood there, lightning clouds beside her. Cloud Zapper stood there, now wielding a cool magical staff he'd taken from one of the empress's guards. He glared and seemed ready to attack despite being outnumbered and out-matched, but a roar from nearby changed his mind. The stone Minotaur charged at him.

Ahuizotl began to run, everypony began to run, lightning from Daring Do's clouds striking the rumps of any that lagged behind. The roars of the chasing Minotaur slowly descended off into the distance.

“And don't come back!” Cloud Zapper laughed loudly.

All went silent.

Cloud Zapper turned to Daring Do, and watched as she pulled the Amulet from over her head, apparently with some difficulty and concentration; the lightning on her hooves and the clouds above dissipating. The amulet returning to its blue colour. Daring Do breathed a sigh of relief. “I heard you.” Cloud looked to her curiously. “She use a spell, that could give me the perfect life. And I could only tell it wasn't real, because I heard you.” She smiled warmly, raising her hoof, looking the Amulet of Atonement over. “Here.” She offered it to him. “Make sure it ends up in a safe place.” He nodded, promising he would.

Daring Do and Cloud Zapper headed back into the Temple, they rummaged through Ahuizotl's things and found a piece of paper listing where Shadow had went. He was off in the Badlands, trying to gather dragons to Ahuizotl's cause.

“Here you go.” She gave it to him.

He and Daring Do looked at each other before embracing in a friendly hug.

“Take care of yourself,” the royal guard asked her. Daring Do could only chuckle at the request.

“You too.” She said softly.

*

Daring Do watched as the only partner she'd ever had spread his wings and took off to the sky.

They'd done it. They'd defeated the Ketztwctl Empress with the Radiant Shield of Razdon, they'd removed her control of the Amulet of Atonement, and halted Ahuizotl's plan, keeping at least a couple of the rings from his grasp, and without all of them, he couldn't activate the Rings of Scorchero.

It was supposed to be a good day, a victory was supposed to make you feel fulfilled. But all Daring Do felt was empty.

Her only chance at saving her mentor from an eternity as a statue, had gone the moment she'd decided her morals were more valuable than the life of Bravely Blue.

Had she made the right choice?

Daring Do hoped so.

She reached up and lifted the Pith Helmet from her head, looking over it, her hoof stroking it gently.

Was it worth it...