• Published 11th Jun 2015
  • 756 Views, 16 Comments

Doctor Whooves: Ever changing - AvianAlpha1



When a strange changeling arrives in a strange blue box in Octavia and Vinyl Scratch's back yard, they soon find themselves apart of something big. Join them as they uncover what really happened two years ago during the attack on canterlot.

  • ...
2
 16
 756

Chapter One: First Impressions

Doctor Whooves: Ever Changing

Chapter one: First impressions

To say that Octavia and Vinyl were confused by their guest would be an understatement. Even though living in Ponyville would eventually numb one to these kinds of things, changelings were still somewhat of a sore issue.
Especially for ponies that were there during the attack.

This is why Vinyl was currently beating the Doctor over the head with a stick.

“OW OW OW, BLOODY HELL, STOP IT,” the changeling yelled as he had his head covered with his front hooves.

Octavia herself was actually enjoying the sight of Vinyl beating the changeling with a stick would be a lie, but she almost felt sorry for it. Not sorry that the changeling was being beaten with a stick, but because he just so happen to meet Vinyl. So when Vinyl’s stick eventually broke she quickly began beating the changeling with her own hooves.

Vinyl definitely knew how to hold a grudge.

The changeling eventually was able to get the upper hand as he threw a clump of mud at Vinyl’s face, causing her to temporarily cease her assault to remove her muddied glasses, giving the changeling just enough time to put Octavia between himself and Vinyl.

“Look, I don't know what I did to make you mad,” the changeling pleaded, “but I apologize, and I would really like to talk to someone less mad.”

Vinyl suddenly tried to sprint around Octavia’s proper left side as the changeling began to mirror her, keeping Octavia in between them. This went on for a good minute before Octavia got tired of it and decided to take action.

As soon as the changeling ran behind Octavia she gave him a swift kick to the chest, sending him flying backwards a few feet. When Vinyl tried to race over to the changeling, Octavia put herself between the mad made and the changeling.

“Vinyl, I know you want to beat the changeling to death,” Octavia said, “but we can't get any answers from him if he's dead.”

Vinyl attempted to go around Octavia to continue her assault, but every time she tried Octavia just put herself back between them. With a reluctant huff, Vinyl sat down and crossed her hooves. With smile, Octavia turned as she approached the changeling who was now slowly getting back up.

“Thank you so much for stopping her,” the changeling said as he smiled at Octavia.

Octavia promptly punched the changeling in the face sending him back to the ground.

“Ow, what the bloody hell was that for?” the changeling asked as he rubbed his face.

“That,” Octavia said as she shook her right hoof, “was for what you changelings did to Canterlot.”

“But I didn't do anything thing, I only just got here,” the changeling pleaded,
“I don't even know what planet I'm on.”

“YOU-“Octavia paused as she blinked a couple of times “-wait, what did you say?”

“I didn't do anything,” the changeling replied.

Octavia shook her head. “No the last part.”

“I don't know what planet I'm on,” he said with a raised eyebrow.

“How can you not know what planet you’re on?” Octavia asked with a raised eye brow. When she didn't get a reply she looked at the changeling whose eyes were currently crossed. “Um, what are you doing?”

“I think my nose got bigger,” the changeling said as he sniffed a few times, “And I why do I smell apples?”

Octavia clopped her hooves together as she brought the changelings attention back on her. “Focus, what did you mean when you said that you didn't know what planet you are on?”

The changeling opened his mouth and was about to talk…

CLANG

When suddenly, a floating frying pan connected with the back of his skull, knocking him out cold.

Octavia didn't even notice Vinyl go in to the house when she was talking to the changeling, let alone notice her come back with a frying pan in her magical grasp.

“Vinyl why did you do that?” Octavia yelled.

Vinyl sat down as she began to make a series of hoof motions. Once she was done
Octavia let out a sigh.

“How do you know that he was lying?” Octavia asked.

Vinyl put a hoof to her chin as she thought for a moment before shrugging her shoulders. Her face immediately brightened up as she got an idea. She did a few more hoof motions before breaking in to a full gallop towards Ponyville.

“Wait a minute, what do you mean tie him up?” Octavia called out to Vinyl’s shrinking form, “where are you going?”

Octavia groaned as she apparently would not be getting an answer back since
Vinyl was too far away, and she looked back at the knocked out changeling.
“Something tells me that this is going to be a long day.”


After about ten minutes of galloping, Vinyl finally reached her destination.

After the destruction of the Golden Oaks library, Twilight Sparkle allowed all of Ponyville’s resident’s full access to the castles library until such a time when a replacement library was built. Vinyl walked up and knocked on the crystal tree’s door.

She didn't have to wait long before the door opened and revealed an apparently, still tired Spike.

After a few moments of rubbing his eyes he looks up at Vinyl’s face. “Oh, hi Vinyl what are you doing here so early.”

Unfortunately, whenever she tried to use sign language to communicate with
Spike, he didn't seem to have a full comprehension of it. So Vinyl had to act out what she wanted to say. She sat down as she held open her hooves like she was holding a book.

Spike stood there for a moment before he guessed at her request. “You want to check out a book?”

Vinyl nodded.

“Oh, I’ll go get Twilight to help you out then,” Spike said as he motioned for her to follow him.

Vinyl never visited the castle in Ponyville before, so the inside of the castle gave her quite a shock. To say that the castles interior was big is an understatement, as the halls themselves all seemed to be big enough to let a full grown dragon to walk around the corridors easily. The ceiling seemed to have somewhat of a prismatic effect as a rainbow could always be seen flowing overhead. The walls and floors shined brightly as if they were just polished and purple banners hung throughout the castles interior.

“TWILIGHT,” Spike called out, his voice reverberating through out the castle’s halls. A startled yelp could be heard as a loud clattering of what sounded like books falling sounded through the castle. The sound of hooves could be heard as princess Twilight Sparkle came around a corner rubbing her head.

“Spike, what have I told you about yelling like that,” Twilight scolded.

Spike sighed as he pointed over to Vinyl Scratch. “You have a guest.”

Twilight’s eyes widened as she quickly composed her and walked over to Vinyl.
“Oh, I'm so sorry; I didn't see you standing there.”

Vinyl smiled as she waved and proceeded to make a few hoof motions. Ever since
Twilight had first met Vinyl, she had been studying all that she could on sign language and has become very fluent in it.

Twilight smiled as Vinyl finished her hoof motions.

“Sure Vinyl, let me show you to the library,” Twilight said as she turned to spike, “Spike, do you mind making a fresh pot of tea.”

“Yes ma'am,” Spike said with a smile as he saluted and quickly ran off.

Twilight chuckled as she motioned for Vinyl to follow her. After a few minutes of wandering through the castle corridors, Vinyl and Twilight reached a set of purple doors with gold inlaid in them in swirling patterns.

Twilight’s horn flared to life as the doors to the library became engulfed in a purple aura as they opened.

The library was huge, to say the least, as it was about twenty meters in height and had almost over a thousand shelves filed with books. The room itself was made entirely out of crystal as the ceiling had the same rainbow effect as the corridors. A chandelier hung from the ceiling which seemed to refract the rainbow effect on to the bookshelves from time to time. The book shelves themselves were made out of crystal too as they seemed to have grown right out of the floor itself and would glow whenever the light shined on them.

Twilight turned to Vinyl and cleared her throat, pulling the mare’s attention back to her. “So, do you have a specific book that you were looking for?”


Octavia paced back and forth in the house, trying to think of what she should do next. She did what Vinyl had said and had tied up the changeling. She even locked him in the basement for good measure. The more she thought about her current situation, the less it made sense.

“I have a changeling in the basement,” Octavia told herself for about the eleventh time that day, “I should turn it over to the authorities.”

Octavia groaned as she sat down on her haunches. To say the least, Octavia was panicking at this point. Not only did she know that she would get in trouble for not reporting the changeling right away, but she might be put in prison for hiding him in the first place. If she didn't go to prison, she would be thoroughly interrogated and her reputation could be ruined. Nopony would want to listen to a pony who befriended a changeling play in any concert hall.

A loud thud from the basement brought Octavia out of her panic. She stared at the basement door for a long time, waiting for another sound to come from it.

She quickly ran in to the kitchen and grabbed a frying pan in her mouth before running back to stand in front of the door. She slowly approached the door and reached for the door handle. Octavia slowly opened the door, taking a peek inside to see if the changeling was lying in wait for her. When she saw nothing she opened the door all the way and made her way down the stairs.

When she made it to the bottom, Octavia took a look around. Most of what was in the basement was mostly old music equipment and some spare parts for other instruments. Vinyl’s records lined most of the shelves as well as a few out dated speakers.

In the middle of the room was the changeling strapped to a tipped over chair as his face was pressed against the floor.

It soon caught sight of Octavia and scowled. “Don't… You… Dare… Laugh.”

Octavia had to stifle a giggle as she looked at the changeling’s predicament.
“I’m sorry, it's just too funny.”

Octavia put down the frying pan as she propped the chair back upright.

“Ah, much better,” the changeling said as he worked his jaw a bit, “landing on your face is surprisingly painful.”

Octavia sat down and stared at the changeling. “You’re very… strange.”

“Strange is good,” the changeling said with a smile, “Strange keeps things interesting.”

The changeling smiled as he stared at Octavia making her shift uncomfortably a bit.

“Though that also depends on your definition of strange,” the changeling before looking at his nose, “Like my nose… Does it look bigger to you; I think it looks bigger, it feels bigger, though I never really took a good look at my nose before, kind of been preoccupied with other things, other people…”

Octavia promptly put her hoof in the changeling’s mouth.

“Do you always talk this much?” Octavia asked as she removed her hoof

The changeling thought for a moment. “I don't think so, but I think I ramble often, and I really do think my nose has gotten bigger.”

Octavia chuckled for a moment before she stiffed up and turned away and began walking back to the stairs.

“Why do you hate me?” the changeling asked causing Octavia to stop dead in her tracks.

“I see the look in your eyes,” the changeling continued, “I have seen it before, but I only just met you and you hate me. Did I do something to you?”

Octavia turned to the changeling and looked him right in the eyes and asked,
“You really don't know what your kind did, do you?”

The changeling arched an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

Octavia was about to say something when she heard the door to the house open and shut up stairs. She looked back at the changeling one last time before she ran upstairs.

When she got to the top she shut the door and quickly made her way to Vinyl.
Vinyl began to make a series of hoof motions as she looked over at the basement.

“No, he didn't give me any trouble,” Octavia said before she noticed the book that Vinyl was carrying in her magical grasp, “What’s that?”

Vinyl smiled as she flipped opened the book and began searching for a specific page. When she found it she turned it around and pointed at the title of the page.

Octavia read it before she looked back at Vinyl and asked, “Are you sure that this spell will work on him?”

Vinyl nodded.

Octavia sighed, “Alright, if you’re sure about interrogating him, I think that I may know where to start.”