• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 484 Views, 4 Comments

Rocinante and the Empire of Crystal - Charliemane



As Princess Celestia sends Twilight off to her test of protecting the Crystal Empire, she stands tall with full faith and confidence that she will succeed. Princess Luna has faith in Twilight as well, but she still prefers to have a back up plan.

  • ...
1
 4
 484

Chapter 1

A wrinkled sheet of parchment flipped up and over Princess Luna's hoof as a warm breeze billowed in from the open window. With a small sigh, the Princess flipped the stubborn page back and gave its corner a small mark with her stamp.

Perhaps it was only because she had a fresh perspective after having been gone for so long, but Luna couldn't help but notice that while everything had changed in name and appearance, in fact nothing had truly changed at all. The nobility and the aristocracy now called themselves the “elite” or the “upper class” and instead of large fiefs and holdings managed by a baron or a duke, now there were companies and corporations held by Chairmares and CEO's.

Placing the paper aside and moving to the next page in the pile of records on her desk, Luna paused and rubbed her eyes.

Just as they had before, the nobles always accused each other of cheating one another out of business. Economics wasn't exactly something Princess Luna was too interested in, but part of her return to power included examining the numerous claims that reached the throne.

Focusing had proven difficult as Luna found herself staring out into the wide open world beyond her window time and time again.

Suddenly sound of a messenger’s hooves racing across the stone hallway outside snapped Luna's attention back into the real world, but not for long. Important messages were commonplace in the castle and addressing them was a duty that was split between the Princesses according to their time on the throne. Luna smirked as she glanced over the requests of another landholder. While Celestia may have the privilege of dealing with the more exciting business of the day, she also had to suffer through dealing with the more exciting business of the day.

“Antoneigha of La Manecha...”

Luna's tired eyes found new life and interest as she read the name a second time.

“Antoneigha of La Manecha? What a pleasantly familiar name, though certainly it must be naught but coincidence.”

The sound of three guardsponies racing by her room didn't even faze her as she continued to examine the paper. Antoneigha, who was now the acting manager of a large number of carrot farms in La Manecha, was issuing a plea to the Royal Court for assistance in locating and returning her sick uncle home so that he might receive proper psychiatric care.

Luna swiftly pulled Antoneigha's papers into a stack of their own when a knock jolted the princess from her work. Swiftly looking up, Luna frowned at the sight of her sister before turning her full attention back to the request forms. It was almost humorous that she would be interrupted now, the moment she had actually found an interesting file.

“As you can see, I am rather busy sister, for real this time.”

“Luna.”

Princess Luna's busy and partially fake shuffling of papers was instantly silenced by Celestia's tone as she stood alone in the suddenly dark doorway.

“Luna... It has finally returned.”