• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 670 Views, 13 Comments

With A Little Help From My Friends - Closer-To-The-Sun



Big Mac has a date with Cheerilee and he as no idea what to do. He and Applejack go around to their friends to get some help.

  • ...
2
 13
 670

Part 3: Rarity

Big Mac knocked on the door of the Carousel Boutique.

“Are ya sure that Miss Rarity will be able to help out?”

“If any of the gals knows anythin’ ‘bout datin’, it’s Rarity. She’s the a bit of a romantic at heart and….well, I think it kinda messes with how her brain works sometimes,” Applejack commented.

“Wait, are you sayin’ it’s a bad thing?” Big Mac looked at his sister.

“Ah didn’t say that,” Applejack paused before adding the final part with a smirk, “ah’m just implyin’ that it does.”

Not a moment after that statement, the door opened to reveal the white unicorn with a fanciful mane and tail. “Applejack! Big Mac! How are you two doing? Please, come in!”

As they entered, Applejack greeted her friend, “Howdy, Rarity. Ah know this sounds a bit strange, but Big Mac here has himself a date fer Hearts and Hooves Day, and-“

Rarity placed her hoof upon Applejack’s mouth, silencing the earth pony. “Oh, say no more! I know exactly what the two of you are here for: you want me to assist Big Mac with his big date?”

“How did ya know?” Big Mac was surprised with how direct the unicorn was.

“Darling, please, I’m an expert when it comes to these sort of things!” Rarity spoke with flair to her voice. “Quickly now, to the dressing room!”

----------------------

“Come on out, Big Mac, let’s see how you look with your new wardrobe!” Rarity called out.

“Ah’m….not sure ‘bout this….” Big Mac spoke from behind the changing room door.

“Nonsense! We can’t make any progress without seeing how the attire looks on you.”

“He might have a point, Rarity. We didn’t come all the way over here just so he can play dress up,” Applejack added to the concern.

Rarity brushed the thought aside as she pushed up her red glasses that she wore for sewing, “A date is eighty percent appearance and elegance and twenty percent anything else. If Big Mac showed up to his date coated in dirt and with that brown yoke of his around his neck, why, you can expect that his date would see him as some sort of slob who doesn’t care for anything! Now, please, let us see how you look, dear!”

Hesitant, Big Mac trotted out from the changing room. Rarity’s eyes beamed as she saw her clothing on the stallion while Applejack simply tilted her head, as if it would help her comprehend what she was looking at.

“Oh, MARVELOUS! It looks absolutely stunning on you, darling!” the unicorn’s voice was loud and proud.

“What….What am ah lookin’ at right now?

Big Mac looked into the mirrors around him to assess his appearance, “Ah’m still not sure ‘bout this.”

The stallion was dressed in a forest green suit that included a jacket and pants. Upon the jacket, there was a shade of tan that seemed strategically placed to offset the green throughout. The white shirt that he had beneath the jacket had frills that seemed to bother Big Mac as he kept moving the shirt with his hoof.

“Nonsense! This suit practically screams you! It matches the shade of green in your eyes and the tan throughout adds a distinguished look to you, making you even more handsome!” Rarity looked into the mirror with Big Mac, listing out the positive features of the suit.

“Th-Thanks, but ah’m thinkin’ that this suit isn’t really fer me,” the stallion stated as he took of the jacket off and proceeded to the changing room to removed the rest of the suit.

“If you insist, darling, but I believe that it’s perfect for your wardrobe.”

“Do you have any advice fer him when he’s on the date itself? That’s the main issue that he’s got,” Applejack asked

Rarity answered without wasting a second, “If I were to give any suggestion to anypony going on a date is to be a polite gentlecolt and never shy away from compliments. Of course, that’s what I would like in a date, myself.” The unicorn lightly chuckled to herself.

Big Mac returned from taking the suit off, “Thanks fer yer hospitality, Miss Rarity, and fer the help.”

“But of course! I’m always here to help a friend in need. Would you like to see some more styles that I have just gotten? I could use a model with your bodytype, Applejack.”

“Uh, thanks, but no thanks. We should be goin’,” her response was quick as she and her brother hurried to the door.

Once outside, both Applejack and Big Mac took a sigh of relief as if they just avoided something that would have been devastating. After a few moments, Applejack spoke, “Ah’m sorry ‘bout that, Big Mac, ah’m so sorry. Ah had no idea she’d do somethin’ like that.”