• Published 4th May 2012
  • 2,679 Views, 57 Comments

Stronger - Night Princess



Scootaloo is sure that she doesn't need anypony, but someone unexpected offers their friendship.

  • ...
8
 57
 2,679

Chapter Three

The pegasi pulled the chariot into the white, fluffy clouds, flying farther away from Ponyville than Scootaloo had ever been before. She couldn't tell where they were going, but she wasn't sure she liked it. It was like she was being kidnapped.

"I can't be kidnapped because they don't have anypony to give the ransom note to," she decided. But still, her stomach had an uneasy feeling in it.

After several hours of complete boredom, the pegasi landed the chariot. Scootaloo hopped out, wondering where she was.

In front of her was a beautiful building, glistening as if it were made of crystal. It was bigger than anything she had ever seen before, with a huge gateway with a drawbridge. What was this place?

The drawbridge came down and a white alicorn came out. "Welcome to Canterlot, Scootaloo," she said.

The filly's mouth dropped open. "Princess Celestia?"

A wave of question poured out. "How do you know my name? Are you Cheerilee's friend? Why am I here? Why do you care about my parents? Am I dreaming?"

The princess smiled and said, "All your questions will be answered soon, little one. As for now, would you like to come inside?"

Scootaloo nodded and followed Celestia into the Canterlot Palace.

She was lead through a number of hallways and up a few staircases before they reached a huge room that the Princess called the Dining Room. Scootaloo had never seen anything do magnificent. The walls themselves seemed to be made of glistening diamonds, and the table was made out of marble or pearl, she couldn't tell which.

On the table was enough food to feed a whole army. And what interesting food it was! Sculptures of Phoenixes and dragons made out of fruit, a huge fountain in the center of the table that spouted sparkling cider. There was even a life-size statue of a pony surrounded by strawberries. Upon further inspection, Scootaloo found that it was made out of chocolate.

"You can tell me about yourself while we eat," the princess told her.

Servants pulled out two chairs, one decorated in gold, and the other in silver. Celestia sat in the golden one, which now looked more like a throne. Scootaloo took the silver seat, and the two began filling their plates.

Scoot decided that the food was simply too good to waste, and took a small bite out of everything on the table. Celestia, however, seemed to be on a cake-only diet.

"Now, Scootaloo, please tell me what you told Cheerilee," the princess said in a kind voice.

Scootaloo repeated her story without hesitation, and left out some parts that she thought were "too whiny" for the Princess of Equestria.

After she finished her story, Celestia sat in silence, thinking over the filly's past.

"Scootaloo," she said finally. "You can't go on through your life without letting ponies help you."

"But I don't need them. I'm strong enough to handle my life alone."

Celestia shook her head and sighed. Another long moment of silence followed.

"I want to help you find your parents, dear," the Princess said, taking another bite of cake.

Scootaloo didn't know what to say. "W-why?"

"Because I know how it feels to be alone."

This puzzled the filly until she remembered the history of Equestria. After Princess Luna was banished to the moon, Celestia had to take on the responsibility of raising the moon at night, as well as the sun in the morning. The one thousand years that Luna was banished were named the Dark Years, because Celestia was so busy with the moon, her sun was weak. During those years the princess was not as fun loving as she normally was. Some ponies even described her as depressed.

The alicorn tapped a small bell on the table with her horn. Moments later, a white stallion with a blue, wavy mane appeared at her side. "Yes, your majesty?"

"Shining Armor, please take a letter."
The princess stood up and begin to dictate. "To the kingdom of Equestria: It has come to my attention that one of my subjects, an orange Pegasus filly by the name of Scootaloo is currently living without her parents. An award of five thousand bits will be awarded to the pony or ponies who recover her birth parents. This is an urgent matter and anypony who chooses to cheat or forge this filly's parents in any way will be punished. Sincerely, Princess Celestia."

The stallion scribbled down every word and when he was finished, he asked, "And what shall I do with it, your Highness?"

"Have it copied and posted on every street corner in Canterlot and Ponyville."

Scootaloo didn't know whether she should be embarrassed that her secret was being posted all over Equestria or happy that the Princess was helping her find her parents.

"Princess Celestia? What if my patents are...dead?"

The princess lowered her head so she was at eye level with the filly. "Then at least we tried."

Scootaloo didn't feel embarrassed at all anymore. No, she felt like the luckiest filly in the world. Who knew that other ponies could help you so much?

But she was still an island. "I'm stronger that way," she reminded herself. "I always will be."