• Published 18th Jan 2015
  • 369 Views, 4 Comments

Wings of Hope - Zeroxdoom



Zero Gravity doesn't care about Manehatten and wants to see the world for what it is, but is Equestria really all that peaceful?

  • ...
 4
 369

Newcomer

Zero was quietly mumbling to himself in his sleep, he couldn't find a better way to spend his morning than sleeping in knowing he didn't have work, but he locked his door last night making sure his sister doesn't try any pranks while he’s sleeping. Even though she had school, it didn't stop her from setting up traps before she leaves.

White Star went to her book club and Sound Barrier went to the court house for the day. Being a defense attorney he had to be at the court house around ten in the morning and trials usually last around three or four in the afternoon, so Zero had most of the day to himself.

“Just who in the hell do you think I am?” he mumbled quietly as he made a few jabs in the air.

“Please, save us Mr. Gravity,” he said while trying to do an impression of a mare in distress.

“Don’t worry pretty mares, I’ll-“

“Zero Gravity, can you hear me?” Said a voice from his ear piece, causing Zero to roll out of his bed in shock and land face first on the floor, moaning in pain.

“Maybe I should’ve taken it out while I was sleeping,” he grunted while getting up off the floor and pressing the button on his ear piece to respond, “What it is Cosmic, it’s our day off, I was dreaming about kicking flank and saving mares,”

“You can dream all you want later, I need you do a quick job only you can do,” Cosmic ordered.

“Get somepony else to do it, I have a date with my pillow.” He yawned as he started clawing back on his bed. He never did like doing something as soon as he woke up, or being woken up to begin with. He didn’t even care what the job was, and even if he did, why did he have to waste his morning do it.

“It involves a new recruit”

Hearing those words Zero leaped out of his bed and ran to his closet and grabbed some clothes before jumping out of his window and flying to his usual work place. Meeting a new recruit to Zero meant a new friend, and a new friend could be a potential rival, and having a rival meant competitions, and he LOVED competitions.


Upon arrival, he burst through the door, ran up to his boss with his face beaming with excitement and started bombarding him with questions.

“How fast is he, what’s his name, is he tough, how high can he fly, is he cooler than me?” Zero asked uncontrollably before stopping himself “wait, where is he?”

“She, is over there,” Cosmic pointed to the corner of the room revealing a brown hooded figure that was looking towards the ground, which made Zero slightly uncomfortable.

“I need you to show her around the city so she can have a good layout of it,”

“How come I have to do this, why can’t Thunderwing or Raven do this?” questioned Zero.

“From what I hear, you know this city quite well, from the tallest skyscrapers to all carrotdog stands in the city,” Cosmic grinned.

Zero scratched his head “How did you-“

“Eagle eye told me,” Cosmic smirked.

Zero furrowed his brow and turned his head in frustration “he’s so dead when I find him” he whispered.

“Anyways, show her around, make her feel comfortable, don’t do anything stupid, got it?”

“Got it,” Zero nodded.

“Good, now I have a day off to enjoy, maybe you should try it,” Zero pouted understanding the little joke Cosmic made he as left the building laughing. Zero turned around and started walking towards the newcomer, as he did so; he tried getting a better look at her. Her robe covered her body so he couldn't examine her features, but looking at her hind legs; he can tell her coat was gold. Stopping in front of her, he introduced himself.

“Hi, I’m Zero Gravity, what’s your name?” he smiled offering a handshake. The figure stepped back and didn’t respond, Zero then gave her a curious look. “Ok….well, welcome to Manehatten, are you ready for the grand tour of the city?”

The figure nodded slightly, “Awesome!” Zero said happily, “Let’s get started,” Zero and the hooded mare started heading out the door towards the first destination.


Zero and the mare entered a giant park surrounded by trees, light posts, and a few ponds. They occasionally saw ponies sitting on benches, taking their dogs for a walk, or simply taking a stroll.

“This is Middle Park, normally ponies come here for the picnics, stroll, or events that happen once a year, but for me” Zero yawned and laid under a tree near a pond “I just lay here and take naps.”

The mare stood there quietly and observed her surroundings. It was a calm and peaceful place, Celestia’s sun was as bright as ever, the gentle breeze brushing the leaves, and the distant sounds of foals playing and running around.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Zero asked with his eyes closed, but the mare remained silent, which caused him to sigh.

“Still no words huh, ok let’s go to the next spot.” Zero got up and ushered the mare to follow along.


Zero and the mare arrived by a railing near the ocean, Zero then pointed towards an island in the distance, upon the island was giant green figure. “And that is the Statue of Harmony,” it was a giant green sculpture of a mare raising a torch in one hand and holding a stone tablet in the other while wearing some sort of crown and robe.

“I know it’s not a lot to look at but this is one of our trademarks of Manehatten so it’s pretty important,” the mare suddenly noticed a ship passing by island and Zero picked up on her gaze.

“Oh, that’s the ferry you take to get on the island,” he explained. ”You want to go on the ship to get a better look? We can’t fly there since it’s a No-fly zone around the island, some of Pegasi always try to sneak on the island frequently without paying “ But the mare shook her head,

“Oh, ok then, let’s head to the next spot; I know this one will make you jaw drop and finally say something.” Zero smiled confidently as he and the mare headed off back into the city.

While flying towards their next destination, Zero decided to make small talk along the way, he came to the conclusion that the mare wasn't comfortable around him since he was a stranger to her, so he thought this was the chance to get to know one another.

“So anyways while we’re on the fly I want to tell you a little bit about myself,” Zero started, “I've been working this job for about half a year now so I can show you the ropes when we get back to work. Also I like racing others, sparing my friends, nature, sleeping, and pulling pranks. And I hate bullies with a burning passion, but enough about me, what about you?”

The mare remained silent once again causing Zero to frown, he’s not used to shy ponies and they usually open up around now, but he decided to leave it alone.


Zero asked the mare to cover her eyes when they got close to the destination, he rarely got a chance to show somepony new around, and when he did, the location they were headed was the one that always made their jaw drop, marking that an accomplishment for a semi-decent tour guide.

“Alright, open them,” when the mare did as she was told, she looked around to see dozen of monitors all around her, from the busy streets, to the busy sidewalks, it was surprising that they even found space to move around

“Well, pretty sweet huh?” Zero bragged “ This is Longacre Square, it’s one of most busiest places in Equestria and an amazing sight, day and night, what do you think?” Zero looked at the mare with a confident smile, but it dropped when he noticed the mare didn't react at all, not even a little smile; in fact, it almost looked like she was…..trembling.

“Hey,” Zero tapped her on the shoulder only for her to flinch, “Do you want to leave,” the mare nodded immediately. Zero grabbed the mare's hand headed out of the area to a quieter street.

Once they landed next to a hotel Zero released the mare’s hand and she leaned against the wall away from the windows and lowered her head, Zero rubbed his shoulder and turned his head. He tried to make the mare feel more comfortable than she was at the start of their tour, but he realized he only made it worse.

“Hey, I’m sorry about that,” Zero apologized; he should have figured she didn’t like crowds with her being quiet and all, so he decided to make it up to her. In the corner of his eye Zero noticed a carrot dog stand a little farther up the street.

“Wait here, alright?” Zero told the mare, he went to the stand and paid for the food and came back with two carrot dogs. “Here, you must be hungry after all that running around.” The mare shook her to decline the offer, only for her stomach to growl,

“Looks like you stomach says otherwise” Zero laughed as he gave the mare a carrotdog, she then ate it in mere seconds, causing Zero to have a surprised look, then he gave an irritated one.

“Geez, I know your quiet, but you could at least say thank you” Zero said frustrated, this made the mare flinch a little, surprised at the kind stallions little outburst. Zero noticed this and felt bad about it, he also notice the sun was starting to setting, which gave him an idea.

“Hey, if you want, I can take you to one more spot” Zero asked kindly, the mare looked a little hesitant “Don’t worry, it’s nice, quiet, and private.” The mare stepped back a few steps making Zero realized his misleading words.

“No, it’s not what you think, come on I’ll show you” Zero started flying towards his hangout, while the mare following along, and this time she was keeping her distance, not trusting his words.

“Here we are,” Zero confirmed, he was standing on the ledge and stretching out his and took a deep breathe. “Welcome to Celestial Star Tower. Well, the top of it anyways,” he chuckled. “Usually Pegasi aren’t allowed to go this high, but since you and I are part of the weather team, we’re allowed to since we have business up here.” Zero turned to look at the mare, only to notice the mare’s mouth gapped open, Zero smiled and let out a confident laugh “HA, I knew you would like it”

Suddenly the mare slowly took of her hoodie; reveal her scarlet mane and her violet eyes, Zero was surprised at this, but that’s not what grabbed his attention. He noticed something about her face…tears were rolling down her face, and there was a blank look on her face, as if she hadn't noticed her own tears, Zero gave her a tap on the shoulder.

“Hey, why are you crying?” the mare snapped back into reality and looked at Zero and noticed her hood was off, she put it back on quickly and started to fly away.

“Hey, wait a minute!” Zero flew after her and grabbed her arm, “Are you ok?”

The mare smacked his hand away, “LEAVE ME ALONE, ITS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!” the mare's finally shouted. She flew into the city below, leaving Zero in the sky, taken back by the mare outburst. Confused, Zero decided it was best to head back home, wondering what just happen.

“So much for the grand tour…” he sighed

Next time: Scars and Stitches

Author's Note:

Shout out to my buddies Crimson Lost and Justin Daniels for giving me the idea to write this story, give their stories a look if you have the time