• Published 10th Jan 2015
  • 658 Views, 22 Comments

An Irish Treasure - wubtasticalMLP



Derpy Hooves, an abandoned filly who wants nothing more than a friend, sees a rainbow overhead, and decides to follow it.

  • ...
0
 22
 658

Unexpected Discoveries

Unexpected Discoveries

The two fillies walked along one of the many sidewalks of Cloudsdale, chatting obnoxiously, both excited to learn more about each other. Though Rainbow was still immensely confused as to why someone had built a house without a tub, not to mention, why Derpy's family had decided to move to such a place, she decided she shouldn't ask. She didn't want to be rude, and she figured that the grey filly's parents had their reasons. Instead, she asked one of the most basic questions that anyone could have thought of asking.

"So, how old are you? I'm ten!" the cyan filly exclaimed, proud to be in the double digits finally.

"I'm ten too!" Derpy gasped, her excitement somehow increasing from before with the fact that she and her new friend were the same age. Then, however, she paused, placing her fore hoof on her chin and scrunching up her face, her orange tongue sticking out slightly. "Well, at least I'm pretty sure I'm ten...." she continued to think for a few more moments before lowering her hoof, nodding, and smiling. "Yup! I'm ten." she finished before continuing to walk along with her friend. Rainbow had a look of complete and utter confusion flooding across her face, staring at Derpy and trying to analyze whether she was being serious or not. Again, she just decided not to ask, and shook her head, ridding herself of the odd expression.

"She's even weirder than I thought," she mumbled under her breath, just quiet enough so Derpy couldn't hear her. After a few more minutes of trotting, the two fillies came upon a walkway that led up to a humble looking, two story cloud home, with white fencing around the perimeter of the yard. Although it was just a typical home to Rainbow, Derpy looked upon it as if it were a castle as they approached the front steps.

"So, this is where you live?! This is so cool!" she gasped in astonishment.

"Well, yeah, but it isn't that cool. It looks just like all the other houses on the street. Sonic rainbooms though, those are cool! Which is why I'm cool!" said the cyan filly proudly, puffing out her chest and grinning. Derpy giggled at her slight arrogance.

"What do you mean it isn't cool? Your house is like a bazillion times bigger than... m-my.." Instead of finishing her sentence, the filly abruptly collapsed forward onto the pathway, her legs buckling underneath her. Rainbow gasped at the sudden collapse, being caught completely off guard by the fall. Luckily, Rainbow was able to stretch out her wing just in time to catch Derpy's head before it hit the cobblestone below.

"Derpy! Are you okay?" she asked in panic, hoping that her friend hadn't hurt herself too badly. After waiting for a few moments, and getting no response from the grey filly, Rainbow noticed that all four of her hooves were jerking around in an almost violent manner, her tail was flicking rapidly, and her chest was heaving. "D-Derpy?" she asked again, her panic increasing ten fold with the fact that she was not getting a response. The eyes of the twitching filly were shut tightly, yet Rainbow could see that they were moving frantically underneath her eyelids. "Derpy!" she yelled again. Not knowing what else to do, she placed her fore hooves on the filly's side and pushed forward, shaking her as if she were trying to wake her up. "Derpy! Derpy!" Suddenly, the door behind the two burst open, revealing a frantic looking light purple stallion, who was sporting a rainbow mane that looked very similar to his daughter's.

"Rainbow! What's going on? Are you okay?!" the stallion yelled, before noticing the grey filly beneath his daughter, twitching violently. "Oh Celestia," he said under his breath before rushing down the stairs towards the pair.

"Dad! What's happening? What's wrong with her?" Rainbow sobbed, fearful that something bad had happened to her friend.

"It's okay Rainbow, just give her some space, sweetheart," he said, a hint of panic still clear in his voice. He held her head in his wings to keep her from slamming it into the ground, and the cyan filly cautiously backed away from the two. Over the next several minutes, tears continued to escape the filly's eyes as she watched her friend's twitching form in the yard, and she hoped desperately that her dad was right, that Derpy would be okay. Sure enough, Derpy's motions soon slowed and her eyes relaxed, as did her breathing. Soon, the twitching had stopped all together, and the grey filly opened her eyes, once again revealing the mismatched amber orbs.

"Derpy! Are you okay? " Rainbow cried, running over to the filly, who still lay on the ground with wings supporting her head.

"Wha-? Oh! Yeah, I'm fine!" Derpy responded with a smile, acting as if nothing had happened. She then attempted to stand back up, but the stallion holding her head put a hoof on her chest and gently pushed her back down.

"Hold on there, you might not want to stand up just yet. We wouldn't want you falling over again."

"Derpy," the filly said with a smile.

"Wha-?"

"Derpy!" she repeated. "My name's Derpy! And I'm fine, I promise! I fall over like this all the time! I just get back up and keep on going! Just 'cause I'm clumsy doesn't mean I have to stay on the ground when I fall, silly!" Rainbow and the stallion looked at each other in confusion, and then back at the smiling grey filly, who was now slowly picking herself up off the ground. She had acted so oblivious to the incident because she was oblivious. The stallion thought for a moment. Did she just say this happened all the time?

"Um, Derpy, maybe you should go home. You don't seem like you're in any condition to be walking around with out an adult," the stallion said, a worried look still plastered across his face. After hearing this, Derpy's cheerful smile quickly died, and it was replaced with a large frown and sad, soulful eyes.

"But-but Rainbow said I could use her tub! I don't wanna go home yet! I just got here!" she squeaked, sounding as if she would burst into tears at any moment.

"Wait," the stallion pondered, "why do you want to use our tub? Don't you ha-"

"No, she doesn't have one," Rainbow interrupted, earning a stern look from her father. She ignored the look and continued. "So, since she obviously needs a bath," she motioned towards the grey filly, practically surrounded in an aura of stink,"I told her she could use ours." The stallion took a minute to think about this. No decent house, or even apartment would be built without an area for a bath.

"Derpy," he began, his worried look reappearing on his face,"just where do you live?" Derpy lowered her head and found a new tuft of cloud to look at.

"In between 54 and 55 Mane Street," she replied, ashamed of her address, if one could call it that. The stallion sighed, his suspicion confirmed. Rainbow was trying to figure out what was in between those two buildings, the implication not being able to breach the mind of a foal.

"And, you live there with your parents?" he asked, really hoping that she at least wasn't alone.

"No," she replied, still eyeing the tuft,"there isn't really enough room for anyone else anyway." Derpy was practically drowning in shame. She knew it was weird for a filly her age to live alone, but she never had much of a choice. She had tried to avoid this topic in her previous attempts to make friends, but when it did come up, the other foals would look at her funny, then avoid eye contact and leave her. She was terrified that this would happen again, and she would lose her friend. When she finally looked back up, she saw that the stallion was holding his head in his right hoof, his eyes closed. She looked to the left of him and saw Rainbow just sitting and staring at her, a look of utter confusion etched onto her face. She was still unable to comprehend Derpy's situation, and her mind was working furiously to figure out what a filly would live alone and where 54.5 Mane Street was. Derpy, however, saw this as a sign that she should leave. She didn't want to bother anyone. When the stallion heard the sound of hooves clopping on the ground, he looked up and saw that the filly was nearly at the gate to the yard.

"Whoa! Whoa! We're do you think your going?" the stallion said, trotting after the forlorn filly. "Come on, let's go inside, you need to be under supervision. Besides, you really could use a bath." The stallion smiled down at the filly and wrapped his wing around her side. Derpy gasped in excitement, and threw her fore hooves around his neck. He still liked her! He wasn't bothered by her! She still had her friend, and they we're still going to let her use their bath! The stallion scooped her up off the ground in his wing and began walking towards the door.

"Oh, and Derpy," the stallion began, looking back at the filly and grinning, "you can call me Dad."

Author's Note:

Oh jeez....didn't realize how much sad stuff was in this one chapter until I went back through and read it. Sorry about that everyone. I'm not sorry

:trollestia:

Welp, comment and tell me what I did wrong, and thanks for reading!