• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 277 Views, 7 Comments

Shadow - MysticPegasister



Shadows are dark shapes; nightmares and bad dreams. Pinkamena's whole seems like a shadow, but she might never wake up from this bad dream.

  • ...
 7
 277

Prelude

Author's Note:

Enjoy the story :yay:

I looked up in my old cracked mirror. I had a large dash along my cheek. Even though I had just gotten the injury about a hour ago, it was already red and swollen. My vision then shifted from the dash to my large blue eyes. They were red from crying; and even now, tears were still visible in them.

"Pinkamena?"

I quickly wiped my remaining tears and turned my head. I met the eyes of my big sister, Maud Pie. When her eyes saw my cheek, a look of anger flashed in her eyes.

"Are you okay, PInkamena?" she asked. My sister was only eleven at the time--I was six-- but she seemed so much older and mature.

I nodded wihout saying a word. Maud then trotted over to me and sat down besides me. "You. . . don't look okay."

"I'm fine. . ." I said.

Maud gave me a look, but she said no more on the subject of me being okay or not. Instead, she asked, "What made him hit you?"

I looked down, not wanting to talk about it. But I took a deep breath and decided to answer her. "I didn't harvest all the rocks I was supposed to. And he got upset about it. He told me that we had to harvest all the rocks before winter. I asked him why it was such a big deal, and then he smacked me. He said children shouldn't speak out of place."

"He smacked you, just for asking a simple question?"

I nodded. "Maud, is it wrong for me to hate him. . . even though he's my dad?"

"No," Maud answered, "I hate him just as much as you do."

"What about Marble? Does she hate him too?"

"I'm not sure. I've never seen father hit her, but he's never hit me, either. And I still hate him."

"I'm not saying he should hit you guys too. . . But why just me? What have I ever done to him?" I asked, looking back up at Maud.

"It's because you're different; because you're special. And our father looks down at people who are special." Maud hugged me tightly. "And I know, Pinkamena, that you'll grow up to be a wonderful mare. And, you'll do great things."