• Published 22nd Dec 2014
  • 1,729 Views, 46 Comments

Social Sins of a Young Thang Living 'Alone' - Regina Wright



Twilight Sparkle versus the rumors, murmurs, suspicions and speculations of the ponies of Ponyville.

  • ...
5
 46
 1,729

And Then Came Cheerilee's Good Words

“-And I don't even think she's bothered to read any of the letters I sent.” Cheerilee muttered into her glass of smooth cider. She hiccuped once. Twice. And then remembered that she had more to say. “I thought if I could make a personal visit, I could get a feel on how things were in there.”

“Remember what you said about self-study?” Her drinking companion and beloved big sister, Berry Punch snorted. “That's a new one.”

“She refused to call it home-schooling. Just refused. She started getting all nervous like I was going to start yelling at her.” Cheerilee slammed her hoof down, bouncing the glasses on the counter and gaining the barkeep's ire. She chuckled nervously under his gaze and went back to her drink. “What do you think happened in Canterlot? I mean, what did they do to her up there?”

“Who knows?” Rose's voice chimed in behind Cheerliee, causing her to fall off her stool. “Thanks for the warm seat, Saint Cheerilee. Feels nice and toasty.” Rose stepped over her and had the nerve to rub her rear three times into her seat for good measure.

Cheerilee growled as she struggled onto her shaky legs with a hoof ready to teach a Rose a good lesson. She softly bopped Rose on the head and took the seat on the other side of Berry. Rose pounded on the counter for the bartender's attention and demanded the all the strong stuff in a tiny martini glass with a pink umbrella.

Cheerilee and Berry shared a look and rolled their eyes.

While she waited, Rose did what she did best. “So this Twilight you two kept on gabbing about, you think she might be another nutter.” Rose paused for dramatic effect. “Another... Daily Daisy?”

With that name uttered, all three off them shuddered as the bartender gave free drinks at the sound of that name. The entire bar quieted down for a spell before rising back up to its merry volume of clinks and slurps.

Cheerilee groaned, shaking the horror out of her mind.

Daily Daisy.

Rose just had to bring up that demented mare.

Her school granted therapist had gone out of his way to remind her not every parent was a Daily Daisy and that there was a legal limit to as far as she could interfere with her students' lives. But it was crystal clear to her that she had the chance, the absolute opportunity to step in and guide Twilight and her child. What parent wanted to really become a Daily Daisy? If they had only given the mare help when they saw the signs of...

The words of her therapists rippled through her thoughts. Cheerilee fought against them. She wasn't gaining a hero complex. She didn't have any guilt issues. She was just doing a teacher's duty.

Cheerilee took another swig from her glass and whirled her head around the bar, The Drinking Hole. With the holidays starting up and the bulk of her grading pushed out of the way, she finally had some time to spend with her sister and of course, Rose. Cheerilee sighed, the sweet tang burning her throat as she licked her lips. Berry swore by the bar's finely mixed cider and Cheerilee could see the appeal.

Good liquor always had Cheerilee quaking like a duck.

With another annoying hiccup, Cheerilee waved the barkeep down for another hit. She probably wasn't doing the mysterious Twilight Sparkle any favors about blabbing her woes here and near Rose.

“She is a unicorn.” Berry added, making things even worse. Daily Daisy was a unicorn too. “The inbreeding up in Canterlot is pretty fierce. Might have scrambled her brains on how to properly ask for assistance. All unicorns think they're too good for it...”

Cheerilee's mouth opened and closed as she thought of the best way to scold her sister. Then she hiccuped and decided to ignore it. Berry was just trying to help in that mean-spirited drunk way.

“Remember how they had to drag that psycho away in chains... Did any of you see the massive tunnels under her house? The basement where she did her 'work'.” Rose rattled off, spinning on the stool. “She was one crazy basket-case, that freak. So obsessed with magic that she would even-” Rose paused to make a spazzy imitation of a pony being sucked through Daily's machine. The terrible sounds sent chills down Cheerilee's spine. She heard that thing, that wicked machine in action... Oh Celestia...

“That's enough, Rose.” Cheerilee interrupted. Who knew what went on in Rose's head? “Anyways, I know and know that Twilight is trying to do what's best for Spike, being that he's a dragon and needs special attention... But I think if we got him into my class, we could work something out!” Cheerilee raved longer than she meant to but to make her note clear, she knocked the rest of her drink down.

Rose whistled and Berry glared at her.

“Dose she really think if she shuts him and herself in that library, that it would change things? What is she going to do when he gets old enough to ask the right questions?”

“Cheerilee...” Berry said softly, sounding sober. Cheerilee glared at her. Nobody wanted to hear her sister sound reasonable. “She is Spike's parent. She's well within her rights to do what she thinks is best for her brat.” She side-eyed Cheerilee's flushed face and sighed as if seeing something she didn't like. “When all of this hits the fan, do you really want to have your name mentioned with hers? She might be another Daisy and you a Mrs. Primp?”

“Or she could be a Slate.” Rose mentioned, wagging her head and trying to stick up her hair. Her bright red hair reminded her of that strange stallion obsessed with student-parent meetings. Thank Celestia, she decided not go on that house call on that fateful day. “Don't forget, Slate Tip. Uni~corns...”

All three shuddered again.

“How is his wife?” Rose wondered aloud. “I mean, did she ever get of that self-induced coma?”

“Here's that drink.” The bartender interrupted, dropping a pristine glass of petal pool wine with a pink umbrella like Rose ordered.

“Are you sure you that you should be drinking something-” Cheerilee started to say as Berry demanded that Rose buy her one too. Cheerilee switched gears. “Berry, come on. You've been drinking willow sap pints for the last hour or so. Changing to something floral will not do your stomach any good.”

“Cheerilee,” Rose snickered. “You're talking like I was going to buy her anything. I haven't forgotten what you did to my sofa, Berry!”

“I am not responsible for anything I did sober.” Berry sniffled. “My lawyers said so.” She insisted. “It's a genuine condition. You saw the paper I got from those docs.”

“I also remember tearing that paper in front of you!” Rose snarled before gulping down her glass and shouting for another. “But getting back to the point, Bum-Berry. What if this Twilight is THE Twilight Sparkle? Cheerilee, what are you going to do about that? Cheerilee...”

“Come on, Rose... You know, I'm good for it. I won't even call you Lucky Thorn anymore.”

“You just did, you bint!”

“I just think I should go at it in a different way.” Cheerilee rambled, ignored as Rose and Berry started shouting louder. “I don't want to be like my predecessor, letting things go unchecked until it gets too big to ignore.” She tried to push herself up and used the counter as a balance but her hoof slipped. Cheerilee fell off her stool and went into a hiccuping fit.

“-And to answer you question, Rose. There's no way in Tartarus that Twilight could be the same Twilight. Do you know how many Twilight, nothing mind how many Twilight Sparkle are out there? Just this morning, I was in a small, competitive drinking contest with a Twilight Twinkle-Spark and he said-”

“I was too subtle.” Cheerilee hiccuped. “I can do better than that.”