• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 505 Views, 13 Comments

Making Due - Sabellion



Octavia and DJ-Pon3 are forced to work together on an album-can they put their differences aside, or is this last chance at stardom doomed to be their last?

  • ...
0
 13
 505

Desperate Circumstances

The door strained under the stress of explosive foreboding as the thunderous claps of hooves grew steadily louder, alongside a very irritable voice. The doors shook as they burst outwards, revealing a brown stallion stomping his way out of the room, hounded by a plump little blue mare, reaching out after him a stream of apologies espousing from her mouth.

“She’s completely mental. I commend you on your ability to even put up with her for more than an hour!” he said.

“Look, just give her a second chance she’s really-“

“Not that bad? Not that controlling? She’s a stifling, stuck-up bitch that only cares about her music and nothing else! She said that my music lacks art. Lacks art! I’m going to be the next Sapphire Shores, but she-“he snorted, “-she insults my life’s work!”

“I don’t think she really meant anything by it, Royale.” the mare said. He shook his head, gnawing on his lip as he paced quickly for a moment.

“Look, I appreciate you trying to get this to work, Celestia knows I need the job but she-“ he said this while violently point his hoof back into the room from whence he had come, “-is completely impossible to work with. Find someone else to be her loyal lap-dog, because it’s not going to be me.”

He turned on his hoof and stomped to the elevator, leaving the mare slack-jawed, searching for excuses. As the doors slid shut she shook her head and looked back into the room. Sitting on her stool, one eyebrow coolly raised, was both her protégé and her nemesis. Her ashen coat and black mane pooled around her head, and a singular bow-tie was wrapped around her neck.

“Is he gone?” she said, her voice pure and simple.

“Yes. You’ve scared off another chance to make it big.” the blue mare said, her voice graveled and low. “Well done.”

“He had no talent, Brass. You and I both know we’ll need perfection if this is going to work.” The grey mare said as she flung his sample CD into a nearby litterbin. “We really need to find something better than that trash that parades around as music. Dreadful, stuff-too much bass really, no balance, and no meaning! All it calls to is the most base of bodily functions.”

“Octavia. Listen. I really do like you. I love your music, your talent-but classical music simply isn’t enough now to make it into the big leagues like you want. You have to be open to new things, new music!”

“Modern music?” Octavia said, “It’s just noise, Brass. Nothing else.”

“Well its noise that sells, Octavia.” Brass said as she crossed over to her. She placed her arm around her and stretched her hoof out. “See all of this? You could actually own it all instead of simply borrow these spaces, if we do this right. With my know how, your skill and just a little bit of luck, we’ll both be rolling in bits.”

“If my desire was simply for money-“

“I know. But don’t you want your music to be heard? To bring back ‘art’ to the entire scene?” She took a step away from the stool.

Octavia grimaced as she looked down at her hooves, finally slumping over just a little. “Yes.”

“And you can’t do that without producing an album that turns some heads.”

“Yes, of course.” Octavia said.

“So, you’ll have to compromise. I can’t make your music bigger than it already is without a brief foray into other mediums-the ponies simply don’t want it. It’s all just old pony music, from a by-gone age.” Brass said this as she walked behind Octavia, picking up some old trophies and awards.

“It is not! It is beauty, form and splendor, it is-“

“I’m not disagreeing with you, Octavia.” Beauty Brass said, putting the award down. “But what you want won’t work, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.”

“I guess.” Octavia said.

“Believe me, I’ve tried.” Beauty Brass said as she picked up a cloth and started to dust the awards off.

“But you bring me only the worst! No art, no soul, no passion!” Octavia said, spinning around towards her. “How can you expect me to like them?”

“I don’t expect you to like them, Octavia. I do expect you to work with them however. Creative differences are bound to happen, but you have to get over them. You have to work together.” Beauty Brass said.

“I’ll not sacrifice true art for fame.” Octavia said, closing her arms.

“Then you’ll never make it in this industry.” Brass said, putting down her towel and shaking her head. She whispered to the floor, “I didn’t think I’d have to do this.”

“What?” Octavia asked.

“I’ve been pushed to my limits. I’m going to find one more artist for you to collaborate with, Octavia. If you can’t find a way to make things work with this one, then I’m going to drop you from the label.” Brass said.

Octavia nearly fell off her stool, her mouth open and wide before her place a hoof to cover it up. “You wouldn’t!”

“I will, Octavia. I think your father would agree with me to on it.” Brass said, “Look, I think your music is amazing, I think what you got going is some of the greatest stuff I’ve ever had to the good graces to hear but it won’t mean anything if you can’t get your act together and release something good, something big! If I have to teach you a lesson the hard way then so be it.”

Octavia leaned forward to retort but simply closed her mouth, her eyes darting over the room. She turned her back away from Brass before letting out a deep, exaggerated sigh. “Fine, if you must.”

“Good.” Brass said as she trotted past her and towards the door.

“But Brass.” Octavia said, giving the blue pony pause to careen her neck back around the corner. “Fine me someone good.”

“I’ll find you the best.” Brass said as she closed the doors behind her. “I just hope they’re the best for you.”

-----X-----

She hummed almost silently to herself, the minute vibrations running through her body like adrenaline. Her eyes were closed, her mouth tightened in concentration. This is what she lived for. This moment right here is why she did this every night. That tiny fraction of section when everything was quiet, like rain before thunder. She opened her eyes and slammed her hoof on the big red button, cracked from years of use that had clearly labeled over it “DO NOT USE”.

Oh yeah, baby. Here we go.

The bass dropped like ten thousand pounds of TNT on this little club. Her earphones absorbed the majority of the blast, but it wouldn’t have mattered anyways. Her eardrums burst quite a long time ago. She would have felt sorry for the ponies up in front, but they’d been here a hundred times before. The floor creaked and swooned as the vibrations rocked them to their wooden cores. Just imagine how they felt down below.

She didn’t have too though, they screamed, and yelled her name. DJ-Pon3. They cheered and moved. An ocean of bumping and grinding, of youthful abandon and cheer. By Celestia it felt good to be a God, even if just for a moment. Her lighting blue hair thrashed back and forth as she rocked out-she knew she’d have a headache by the end of the night, but she really, really didn’t care.

The night continued on much as one would expect-especially with her in the house. Music, fun, a great deal of drinking and intoxicants and at the end she stepped down from her throne of sweet, glorious beats and walked into the back.

The fluorescent lights didn’t help her now groggy mood. It was already two o’clock, why didn’t they shut down a few lights in these empty, off-white halls? She pulled back on her rose goggles-it helped, at least she thought it did.

She knocked on a door that had an off-kilter “MANAGER” scrawled across the top. There was a grunt as she stepped inside. The room was ill lit, barely revealing the stallion that sat in a gross looking chair counting money and writing on a stack of papers, smoking a cigar.

“How much for tonight?” she said.

“Not much, I’m afraid.” The stallion said, as he chewed on the end of his cigar. “I like your work, but we’re just not pulling anything other than the regulars.”

“How much?”

“Jeez, everything’s about money to you, ain’t it?”

“No, I just need something to give to my landlord. She’s pissed.” The white mare said, “Like throw me out on the streets pissed.”

“Ah. Well, here’s your cut for tonight.” He said, pushing a few coins her way. She briefly counted them before pulling off her goggles and counting again, her brow furrowing.

“26 bits!? That’s all?”

“Sorry, Pon3, that’s everything I got for ya. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said. She hung her head low as she collect the pittance given to her and walked out. She waved her hoof lazily as she returned the farewell and carried herself through the maze that was DVNO and outside. The four capital letters, wrapped in gold glittered on the side of the building, before the lights turned off and the silence of the night settled in. She started her walk home, barely paying attention to the little group of ten or so ponies that somehow failed to grasp the concept that the place had closed.

One saw her, and while Pon3 tried to avert her gaze, the little crème mare teetered her way over with alarming speed. Her breath was thick with the pungent scent of alcohol as she said, “I really…really liked your music in there, Pon3. You really know how to….kick some flank with those beats. They’re all like bwooom and bwaaah and”

“Yeah, they’re real nice.” Pon3 dryly stated.

“You’re real nice. And real pretty.” The mare said as she stumbled into her. Pon3 rolled her eyes as she nudged the mare back onto her own four hooves. The mare shook her head as she slowly raised her head and blinked, smacking her lips together. “Why don’t you and I go somewhere…it’ll be fun.”

Pon3 smirked as she said, “Sounds like, but I gotta get home.”

“Let me come with you then!” The mare said.

“Nah.” Pon3 said as she turned and walked away. “I try not to go for the drunk ones, at least if I'm not among them.”

“Oh. Okay” The mare said, as she then turned away, dejectedly. She saw another pony and sauntered over towards them. Pon3 watched for a moment for turning her gaze back to the dark path ahead of her. She was surprised she only got one suitor tonight-so often she’ll get three or four stallions dying to take her to bed, and she could always lead them on long enough to get them fighting and then just wriggle her way out.

Although, she had to admit a few of them were actually worth taking home for the night. That one dark stallion from Fillydelphia, ooh, he was really good. She wondered what his name was, searching the back of her mind for something to remember him by but all she could think of was his big arms and big, thick-

Oop. Home already. She laughed to herself as she took out her keys and went inside. She got so lost in her own thoughts sometimes. But really though, that guy’s neck though was a sight. Damn. She walked down the hall around the corner, turning to the third door on the left.

Her ear twitched though as she heard a door starting to open. She fumbled her keys, trying to get it in. No, no, no! She grabbed the next one and clumsily slipped it into the hole.

“DJ-PON3!” the screeching of the she-beast was sure to wake everyone up. How she looked forward to hearing about that in the morning, at least through tired, angry stares.

“What!?” She said, snapping her neck to the left to see the approaching mare. Her mane was tied up in a towel that had obviously spent the most of its days on the floor, her face covered in the smattering of what Pon3 could only assume was some sort of facial creme, and she was tied up in a robe that hung on her like cobwebs. The she-beast glared at her with her bloodshot eyes.

“What day is it today, Pon3?”

“Uhh, Friday?”

“Yep, the first of the month. You know what that means?”

She grit her teeth and inhaled, leaning her head against the door, slowly sliding her cheek downwards. “Rent” she mumbled.

“Say that a little louder?” the mare said.

“Rent!” Pon3 said. “I get it. I’ll have it by the end of the week.”

“You said that last month and I didn’t see a bit until halfway through!” the mare said, “I’m not running no charity here, miss.”

Pon3 got down onto her knees and said, “I swear to you by the magnificent Technicolor hair of Celestia herself, I will have that money by next Friday.”

The mare rolled her eyes and sighed as she motioned for Pon3 to get back up. “Fine, but not a day later.”

A smile cracked across the ivory pony’s face. “You got it. Ma’am.”

“But if you don’t have it by then, I’m throwing you out, for good.” The mare said before she walked away. Pon3 mocked her angry, bitchy face and waggled her hoof in the air like it was her head, bobbling it time with her words. Her landlady’s gaze snapped backwards, but Pon3 just looked to the side, whistling non-chalantly.

“What.”

“Aren’t you going to go inside?”

Pon3 clenched her eyes shut and nodded, before going into her apartment. She kept them closed until the door was safely locked behind her. She let out a sigh that had been building for the last hour, punctuating it with a shout. “Honey, I’m home!” she yelled. “Oh wait.” She mumbled.

She flicked on the lights. The entirety of the little room was a mess. On the far side near the window was the remnants of a bed, buried underneath the slain and discarded mess of clothes and papers. The walls bore hundreds of posters of bands, illuminated by a little string of paper lanterns she picked up for three bits a few years back, many signed. Pictures of her and a bluish grey stallion with a tuft of messy black hair lay scatted between the posters, alongside handwritten notes and art. She threw her bag into the corner near a trashcan that had long since been overdue to be taken out and then threw herself onto the big bean bag that lay opposite the bed. She stared up at the ceiling, also duly decorated, and sighed.

Another day, another bit was the motto she always heard. She stretched and closed her eyes, her horn glowing as she levitated a tattered old blanket over herself. If sleep was good medicine for the soul then she felt like she needed to overdose at the least to feel better.

But, that was not to be the case. There was a knocking at the door. She grumbled, turning away before the knocking happened again. She flipped onto her back, screaming internally as she stood up and walked over, flinging the door open.

“I told you I’d have your-“She said before opening her eyes to see the mare in front of her. She oozed class and beauty that crashed against the green walls flickering under the sick bleached white fluorescence of the lights.

She was all soft words and smooth vibrations as she said, “Is this a bad time?”

“Kinda? I was hoping to get some sleep.”

“I’m sorry then.” She said, shaking her head,”But I have your attention. DJ-Pon3, correct?” the mare asked.

“In the flesh.” She responded. “What’s up?”

“My name is Brass Beauty. I was at your show and I have an offer for you, if you’re willing to listen.”

“Right now? Can’t this wait til morning?” Pon3 asked.

“Perhaps, but after hearing that debacle with your landlord, I think you’ll be willing to listen.”

Pon3 looked around trying to find somepony to support her side of the argument. If only inspirational cat posters could talk. “Fine” Pon3 said, “Hit me.”

“I’m offering you 1000 bits right here, right now, if you agree to sign this contract.” Brass said, pulling out a bag and a paper. Pon3 eyed the heavy brown bag. She almost immediately grabbed it but stopped a second before her hoof wrapped around the smooth leather.

“Am I selling my soul?” she said as her hoof inched ever closer.

“No.” Brass said, laughing as the though crossed her mind, “Well…maybe.”

Pon3 took hold the bag, her eyebrow shooting upwards as she kept her eye contact with the mare but opened the bag and felt around inside. Her horn glowed as a single bit flew out from the bag and before her.

“Go on.” Pon3 said.

“I want to sign you to my record label, and get you to start recording an album right away. 2% of total sales plus another 10,000 bits upon completion of the album no matter what.”

“What?!” Pon3 spat out.

“I said-“

“No, I heard you the first time.” Pon3 said, swallowing while seeming to gaze off into the distance.

“There’s a catch though- your first album is going to be a collab with another artist whom I think can help you reach stardom.” Brass said. Pon3 reset herself before shrugging.

“Dude, cool.” Pon3 said, “Count me in.”

“But you don’t even know-“

“I don’t care dude, I’ll do anything you want for that kind of money.”

“You sure? I want-“

“Seriously, don’t care. See my eyes?”

“No, not really.” Brass said.

“Oh, right.” Pon3 pushed her goggles up. “See? Not a single buck given. I’m in.”

Brass shook her head and blinked rapidly for a second before shrugging and offering the paper. “Hope you don’t regret this, for both our sakes.” She whispered under her breath. Pon3 grabbed the quill and dashed out a scribble of a signature.

“I look forward to working with you.” Brass said as she stowed away the parchment. She pulled out a little card and passed it to Pon3. “I’ll see you at ten o’clock sharp at that address.”

“Right.” Pon3 said, still enchanted by the soft golden glow of the bits in front of her. “Wait, tomorrow?”

“Technically today, but yes.” Brass said, “Speaking of, I best be off. Much to do and so little time.”

The blue mare took off down the corridor, disappearing around the bend not a second later. Pon3 shook her head and closed the door, weighing the bag in her hands as she doubted the existence of the world for a moment. She sighed, rubbing her hoof in circles on her forehead.

“At least it’s a good dream” she said as she put the bag on the counter and collapsed once again onto her beanbag and promptly went to sleep.

Author's Note:

So with my other stories I wanted to see if I could just wing it and write. While I think I did, okay, I actually sat down and wrote out the synopsis for this entire ordeal before I started writing. It actually helped a lot I think, but I'm not sure if I've grasped these characters yet. Still, here's to hoping!

Thanks for reading!