• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 619 Views, 20 Comments

Eclipse: Poets and Pests - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



While working, Pinkie Pie catches sight of an old threat she is familiar with. Too bad nopony believes her.

  • ...
1
 20
 619

Sweet Beats

"This is going to be awesome!" a white unicorn said, bouncing in place at the last word. "Once again, we get to save Ponyville using our awesome music skills!" She pushed up her sunglasses. "Maybe they'll write a song about us... or a rock opera. I could eve--"

"Miss Scratch!" a gray maned mare cut in. "Under the current circumstances, I would appreciate a bit of decorum and that you restrain your enthusiasm as well as cease your speculation."

Vinyl Scratch lifted her sunglasses as she turned to stare at the other mare. The brown earth mare stared right back, looking at Vinyl over edges of her own glasses.

"Mayor," Vinyl said, "you can be pretty harsh some times. You should be named Harsh. Like... Mayor Harsh... something or other."

This got a sigh of annoyance from the mayor, rolling her eyes as she gave a shake of her head.

"Forgive me if I'm 'harshing' your 'mellow,' Miss Scratch, but this is not exactly an optimal situation. Ponyville is at risk of suffering a famine as all food is eaten by some sort of rapidly reproducing insect, and I find myself having to rely on --" she let out a groan "-- a song to bring an end to the situation. I think it is understandable if I am skeptical of the matter and not in the mood for joviality."

There was a small murmur of agreement from several of the other ponies assembled.

"It does seem unlikely."

"I wasn't going to say anything, but..."

"The whole thing seems silly."

With a shake of her head, Vinyl Scratch turned and walked over to where Pinkamena stood.

"Would you foals calm down and relax?" She placed a hoof of the pink pony poet's back. "Pinkamena came up with this. If she says that it will work, then I believe that it'll work. She hasn't turned me wrong before."

Some of the other ponies assembled murmured their own agreement to that.

"She has helped save Ponyville before."

"I trust her."

"There have been studies about sound affecting other insects."

Pinkamena stood where she was, looking down at the ground. She could feel her cheeks grow a little warmer at the feeling of the hoof against her back through the fabric of her sweater. One of her own hooves reached up, taking a hold of her turtleneck and giving it a gentle tug. The day suddenly seemed a little warmer.

The mayor closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead. She was really starting to miss the days when the biggest issues she had to deal with were balancing the town budget and trying to keep the seasonal changes on schedule. Ancient immortals, mystical demonic monsters, and (now on top of all that) swarms of destructively voracious insects were most assuredly not matters that had been in her job description. Perhaps when elections came again, she would not run for another term. Perhaps instead, she will retire and move somewhere more peaceful -- like one of those border towns out in the frontier. Maybe she could be the mayor or sheriff there. Dealing with bandits on a daily basis sounded like it would be a lot easier at the moment.

"I'm back," a voice called out, getting Pinkamena's attention. Looking up, she caught sight of Rarity approaching. The unicorn's horn glowed faintly with magic as she carried what looked like a birdcage filled with parasprites with her.

"Woah," Vinyl said, moving to look at the cage. "What's with the captured ones?"

"I asked Rarity to see if should could bring the first one here," Pinkamena answered.

"And Spikey was not happy about it," Rarity added. "I believe he understood, but he was upset." She paused, tapping a hoof against her chin. "Perhaps it would be easier if he had a proper pet to play with. Maybe a dog... or a cat that would allow him to pick it up and pet it..."

"We can also check to be sure the music works on them," Pinkamena added.

"Hold on," the mayor said, stepping forward. "Why are you testing this? Why not simply start playing and lead them off?"

"Lieutenant Sparkle," Rarity stated, as if it explained everything.

"Oh?" the mayor asked, raising an eyebrow curiously. "Where is Lieutenant Sparkle now?"

"I believe she is still working on our route," Pinkamena answered.

"Your route?" the mayor repeated.

"Well, yes," Rarity replied. She held the cage up more. "All of this did start with just one of them. If we don't manage to catch them all..." Rarity left the implication in the air, allowing the mayor to infer and speculate what will happen.

"Fine," the mayor grunted. She turned and started to walk away. "I am going to be in my office."

With a drink, she mentally added. Leaving the others to their business, the mayor went off to relax and try to come to terms with all that was going on.

"Everypony listen up," Vinyl shouted, getting the attention of the other musical ponies. "We're about to start playing, and I don't want any interruptions. So if you have to use the bathroom, you better do it now."

"Vinyl, really," Rarity said. "These are professional ponies. I doubt they need you to..."

Several of the assembled ponies ran off, heading toward nearby bathrooms.

"...remind them to use the restroom," Rarity finished.

"What can I say?" Vinyl said with a grin. "Sometimes we get so excited about things, we forgot about others." She let out a chuckle. "I remember this one stallion that got so focused on his work that not only did he skip meals, but he would also wear a diaper in case he had t-"

"Okay," Twilight Sparkle called out. "I think I have it."

"Oh, thank Celestia," Rarity whispered, grateful for the interruption. She and the others turned to the approaching unicorn.

Twilight presented the map for all the ponies to see.

"I've marked the most efficient route through Ponyville for the band to use. It covers every road in and around town with minimal redundancy, which I managed to work into high risk areas such as the market square and near the farms. I've also taken into account the regular traffic patterns, so we should be able to avoid any large crowds that would potentially block our way."

"Great," Vinyl said, clapping her front hooves together. "So now that Twilight is ready to lead us, we can begin." Turning she took a deep breath and started shouting.

"Alright everypony!" She bellowed. "Get in position and get ready. This is not a rehearsal. We are about to go live and loud!"

The map fell to the ground as the magic holding it vanished. Twilight started at the retreating Vinyl, ears flopped back, eyes wide, and mouth hanging open.

"Lead?" she cried out. "They expect me to lead them through town? Like-like some kind of grand marshall?" Her chest swelled and contracted as she started to hyperventilate, her breaths coming in rapid gasps and escaping in huffs. "I can't lead them."

"You do already lead the rangers," Rarity pointed out. She immediately regretted it as Twilight turned to face her, eyes wild.

"That's different. That is leading a group of trained professionals into situations I am familiar with through my own training and have a strategy for."

The similarities were not lost on Rarity, but she chose to keep quiet for the moment. Her eyes shifted away from Twilight, looking desperately elsewhere for help.

"Twilight," Pinkamena said, "remember your breathing exercises."

"Right. Right. Okay."

Closing her eyes, Twilight slowly took in a deep breath and let it out. She repeated the process, then did it again. Her controlled breathing continued for half a minute.

"Alright," she said. "I'm okay."

"Now try thinking about it from a strategic standpoint," Pinkamena suggested. "Who would be best to lead the group?"

"Right," Twilight agreed. "Best choice. Let's see... it would have to be someone they would listen to. It would be counterproductive if the band didn't want to do something they were told. Not that any of them would put Ponyville at risk out of spite. It would need to be someone that knows the town well. Not only do they need to know what roads to take as planned, but where they could detour if something causes an issue."

Rarity smirked and said, "I think we know the perfect pony for that." She then pointed a hoof at Twilight.

Twilight's mouth opened, held that way a moment, then snapped shut. With a sigh, she gave a nod and turned toward the musicians.

"Okay," Twilight conceded. "Point made. I'll lead them. Rarity, get ready to open the cage. Vinyl! Count us in!"

"Alright!" Vinyl shouted, her horn glowing. "Let's rock! One! Two! Three! Four!"

Several of the more classically trained musicians expressed a slight annoyance at Vinyl's rock and roll style count down, while others more inclined toward more modern music grinned widely. Regardless of their opinion, all of them began to play.

Pinkamena Pie, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle turned and watched the caged parasprites.

At first, the captured creatures continued to fly around seemingly at random within their limited space. As the music continued to play and filled the air, the parasprites slowed down before stopping, simply floating where they were. After an additional three seconds (by Twilight's count) they all started to move toward the music.

Twilight's horn lit up as she grabbed a hold of the cage and the map. A small smile formed on her mouth as she walked toward the group of musicians.

"Alright team," Twilight called out, "follow me."

The group followed after her, continuing to play as they went. Before they had even made it past the next building, they were already being followed by parasprites that were bouncing along behind them.

"Some times I worry that girl is going to give herself an aneurysm," Rarity said as she watched her friend lead the band and infestation away.

Pinkamena gave a faint nod.