• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 1,890 Views, 28 Comments

A Diamond in the Rough - DarkShockBro



A Diamond Tiara focused story. I give her a back story and a cutie-mark talent.

  • ...
7
 28
 1,890

Shining Bright

A Diamond in the Rough: Chapter 7
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was grinning ear to ear when I saw that poor bumpkin crying, and my good mood was accentuated when I saw a poster about auditions for the latest drama production!

My eyes sparkled with joy, and I just imagined myself performing in the lead role, acting like a star. My first reaction was to find Silver Spoon and tell her about it, and I did manage to bump into her before class began.

I started the conversation by saying, "Spoon! The drama team is making a new play! I'm totally going to audition for it!"

"That sounds great, Diamond! But…do you mind if I don't audition?"

"No, it's fine! Just think about it, Spoon. The audience staring, bewildered by my awesome acting ability! It's going to make me so popular! I'll be known as the most special pony in no time!"

"Alright, sounds great! I'll be sure to attend!"

"Thanks, Spoon! Let's get to class."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so, we made it through the rest of the day, and throughout the entire week, I was thinking about the play. Finally, after a relatively short week, the auditions took place.

The drama director actually changed, because I didn't see Mrs. Bright when I opened the door. Instead, I opened the door to find a pony with the exact same body color as me, only with a purple mane.

She said, "Who iz next?" and I could hear a definite French accent in her voice.

So, knowing French myself, I said, "Bonjour, madam! Je voudrais to audition for this play, s'il vous plait."

"Ah! Vous savez aussi le francais?"

"Oui!"

"Wonderful, let us begin! My name is Miss Fleur!" she said, seeming to be impressed with my knowledge of French.

I completed some drills that were quite easy, considering I practiced drama frequently after I was introduced to it, and I also sang and danced very well, thanks in part of Mrs. Rhythm. The next thing I know, tomorrow after the parts were posted, I did indeed get one of the main roles.

Afterwards, I joyfully yelled, "Ohmygosh! Ohmygosh Spoon! I did it!"

"Great job, Diamond Tiara! Bump, bump, sugar lump, rump!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After school, the practice sessions were quite simple, and I always did my best to ensure that I shined in this performance. I always put my hand up whenever Miss Fleur asked for volunteers, and I made sure that I gave it my all every practice.

It was a little difficult memorizing my lines, because I had a good deal of them, but I had more than enough time to make sure I had them down pat. So, when Miss Fleur asked us to memorize our lines, I felt obligated to respond.

"I already have, Miss Fleur, and I can prove it."

"Really, Diamond Tiara? I don't want you do embarrass yourself."

"I know I can do it, Miss Fleur. Give me a chance."

"Alright…one more time, everypony!"

Sure enough, with absolutely no fear, I recited every line cleanly and with emotion during that practice, and as for my reward? More praise! I'm shocked I didn't develop this confidence earlier, because it makes me look great!

Unfortunately, yet again, my mom refused to answer when my dad contacted her about my new lead role, with my Diamond Eyes, and at this point, I just about gave up trying to please her. However, there was the 1% of my soul that convinced me that if I continued to excel and become the best, she would view me as a success. And in the end, I listened to that 1%, because knew I wasn't a failure.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As performance day crept closer, I began saying my lines in front of a mirror after Miss Fleur recommended it, to make sure I had all of my cues and gestures down. Finally, the night had arrived.

I had a wonderful costume that I bought for my performance, because I didn't need the tacky dresses the school had. As the dress rehearsal concluded, I clopped up to the stage about to explode with happiness. I knew I would knock this performance right out of the park!

After Miss Fleur finished introducing us, I began my performance, and I made dang sure that it was flawless. It was. Unfortunately, after my performance ended, but before the end of the play, a colt with this ugly yellowish color, and a snail, of all things as his cutie mark, went up to me and said, while blushing, "Great job. You were really good."

Common sense forced me to whisper in his ear and said softly, but with as much venom as I could put into my voice, "Get lost. Now."

He knew that I was going to kill him if he was to ruin my big moment, so he simply hung his head, and walked away.

As we ended the play, the applause was roaring, and I helped lead applause movements and gestures almost perfectly. Even though my parents didn't make it, the entire experience was a definite boost to my confidence.

To make matters even better, I, once again, got straight A's for the first semester of fourth grade. Again, I got no response from my mother, so my desire to be the best rose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the second semester, my academics did begin to slightly increase in difficulty, but it wasn't too hot for me to handle. Even with that difficulty spike in second grade, elementary school really wasn't too bad, and I did see quite a few ponies on the honor roll the one time I checked, but it never really bothered me. As long as I was on it, which I was throughout fourth grade, that was all that mattered.

Anyway, towards the beginning of the second semester, there was another school wide event that I felt obligated to attend. That event was known as the Talent Show, and I had an idea of what to perform.

But, before I could do that, I had to laugh in the face of my enemy! I was determined to bring Apple Bloom down, headfirst, into the floors of this school.

When I came across her, I shouted, "Hey, Blank Flank! Going to sign up for the talent show?"

"Nah."

"Why not? You'll only be destroyed by yours truly! I'll perform a song so wonderful and magical, you're precious little jaw will drop."

"I told ya. I ain't performin' and that's that."

"Whatever. You're both a scardy flank and a blank flank! Bye!" I yelled, laughing as I went to class.

After school ended that day, I ran into Silver Spoon.

She started our conversation by saying, "Hey, Diamond, are you doing the talent show?"

"Of course! Want to help my performance by giving me a little piano?"

"I'd be more than happy to, Diamond! I'll see you tomorrow!"

Why did I let Silver Spoon help me out, you may ask? Simply put, it's because I already had the recording of the song. I figured she could use a little boost to her self-esteem, and it might add something to my performance. I was never completely heartless, at least to my friends.

Considering I linked Silver Spoon the song early on she came up with a great accompaniment a week before the talent show. Oh yeah, we were definitely ready to show this school how much talent we have.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the night when the talent show began, the performances were absolutely terrible, and some only barely qualified as meager. A terrible violinist, a bad saxophone player that made me want to puke, and a screechy singer were only the icing to the manure cake. Considering that we had signed up last, we were prepared a little before our call time. A pony with a purple body, a pink-white mane, and a bunch of yellow flower tops as her cutie mark called us in. I would get to know her better later.

By the time we got on stage, the lights were out, and soon, I clopped to get the recording started. The lyrics went like this,

(Lyrics sung to Too Cool: by Camp Rock)

I'm too cool for this show

These songs have it the floor

But everypony here don't just yet head for the door

Just follow and I'll lead

Go and try to be like me

But you just cannot compete

Love it or hate it

Aaaahhh

I can't help the way I am

Hope you don't misunderstand

Cause I'm so cool

(So cool)

I'm so cool, yeah, it's so true!

Don't take it personal

Don't get emotional

You know it's the truth

I'm so cool, it's true!

You think you're hot, but I'm sorry you're not

Exactly who you think you are!

I'm having fun

I'll always be number one

'Cause when we walk into the room

I'm so cool, it's true!

You're lucky I'm so nice

Even I'm surprised!

I will still let you be here in my crew

I'll show you how it's done

If you wanna be someone

So, just watch me

And you'll learn some

Aaaahhh

Me, myself, and I agree

You'll never catch up with me!

Cause I'm so cool

(So cool)

I'm so cool, yeah, it's so true!

Don't take it personal

Don't get emotional

You know it's the truth

I'm so cool, it's true!

You think you're hot, but I'm sorry you're not

Exactly who you think you are!

I'm having fun

I'll always be number one

'Cause when we walk into the room

I'm so cool, it's true!

See, some are born with beauty, brains, and talent

And they've got it all!

While others try all their lives,

But they might never get the call

That's the difference between you and me

Obviously!

I'm a natural

I'm the real deal

Yeah!

I can't help the way I am

Hope you don't misunderstand

Cause I'm so cool

(So cool)

I'm so cool, yeah, it's so true!

Don't take it personal

Don't get emotional

You know it's the truth

I'm so cool, it's true!

You think you're hot, but I'm sorry you're not

Exactly who you think you are!

I'm having fun

I'll always be number one

'Cause when we walk into the room

I'm so cool, it's true!

Woo!

After I finished singing, and jumping while doing the splits in rhythm to the song, the applause was enormous. I simply bowed, gave Silver Spoon some spotlight by pointing my hoof towards her, and I got some nice praise the day after the show. Life was good.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Towards the middle of the second semester, we had a speech on cutie marks. Even though I already had mine, I was interested in what Mrs. Chalk had to see regarding the subject, so I paid attention.

She started by asking, "Now, class, who here has their cutie marks?" to which I proudly raised my hand to.

"Wonderful! Most of you do already! But, I would still like to talk about them. They are marks that you do not get as a child. You have to earn them. And you earn them by keeping an open mind, and by trying new and unique things as a filly or colt. Like all of us, our cutie marks allow us to accomplish a special, unique event or task that other ponies might not be able to do at all, or be able to do less quickly. Now then, I would like to give an example. If you look at my flank, you can see that I have a piece of chalk as my cutie mark. This shows that I have a natural talent for teaching students like you, and it also significantly helps me with writing, as chalk is a writing utensil. Would anypony like to tell how they got their cutie mark?"

My hoof shot up like a bullet, and Mrs. Chalk said, "Yes, Diamond Tiara?"

"I got my cutie mark by attempting to make a gift from my mom, which was the tiara that is now on my head. I managed to create the entire thing in one hour, but since my mom didn't except my gift, I now wear it myself proudly."

"Very good! Your statement has brought me to my next point. Cutie marks tend to come from experiences that really affect the heart of a pony, the ones that require a lot of passion to accomplish. I remember back when I was about your age, I had decided to become a school tutor, like my mom was. When I was able to teach my younger brother a very complicated science question, my cutie-mark appeared! And don't worry, if you haven't gotten yours yet, there is still plenty of time! Well, that's it! Class dismissed!"

When school ended, Silver Spoon said, "Diamond, is that how you really got your cutie mark?"

"Yes, it is. Did I forget to tell you?"

"Most likely. Hmm, I think I know why, is it because of your mom?"

"On the muzzle."

"Could you tell me more, please?"

"Alright, but promise that you tell nopony about this. Pinkie promise!"

"Um…cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye? Is that how it went?"

"Yes. Anyway, I went to deliver the tiara to my mom as a gift about a year or so ago, and she simply dismissed my kind gift as 'tacky'!"

"Ouch! I'm really sorry about that. Does that explain why you want everypony to know how awesome you are?"

I sighed. "Yeah. You...do think I'm awesome, right?"

Spoon nodded, and I brightened back up again. As I walked home, I pondered how great to have such a good friend by my side. I felt invincible with Silver Spoon as my friend.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Towards the very end of 4th grade, Mrs. Chalk announced that we would be having a cross-class student group project, and I quickly volunteered to lead my group. My group contained Silver Spoon…but it also had Apple Bloom.

When, I realized this, I said, "Look, Apple Bloom. I don't like you and you don't like me. But, if you do everything I say, I can assure you that we will get an A. Understood?" to that bumpkin as soon as I saw her.

"Fine."

"All right, what type of work are you best at? Art? Writing?"

"A'm a good artist."

"Good. Draw a picture so that I can make sure you aren't lying."

She did, and it actually looked pretty decent. "All right, you've got the job."

Silver Spoon and I handled most of the written work, and under my leadership, no one goofed off during the time we worked on our poster. I made sure I scrutinized whatever I could. Apple Bloom even did a good job artistically. I only rejected one of her pictures, though I would never admit her skill, until now, but whatever.

When we presented our poster, I led, listed the jobs I assigned, and read our work with an assertive voice. Sure enough, our group got a 100%, one of the two perfects in the entire grade.

Even Apple Bloom said, "Good job, Diamond."

"Heh. Thanks, blank flank."

"You're still annoying."

"Hey, your grade improved. Don't blame me just 'cause you'd never be able to lead that well!" and with that I left.

Silver Spoon also congratulated me, and I continued my reign of dominance until the end of 4th grade.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our final conversation 4th grade started when Silver Spoon said, "You're going to be a great leader one day."

"I know, but still, thanks. I'm going to make my mom proud, I just know it! Oh, I almost forgot! Take this, please!" and with that, I handed Silver Spoon a pearl necklace I made for her.

"Wow! This is beautiful! Do you...really want me to have it?"

"Sure! You've been a great friend, so I thought I'd share...a little bit of my specialness with you!"

"So have you, Diamond! Wow, I'm going to wear this every day...for my best friend."

"Thanks. Really, thank you for your friendship. We are going to knock the next grade out of the park!"

"Your confidence is through the roof! Well, see you next year, Diamond, and once again, thank you!" she said, giving me a hug.

"You too, Spoon. Have a great summer!"

And with that, two best friends parted ways…for the entire summer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Chapter: Events transpire that summer that cause Diamond Tiara to go into 5th grade with extra rage. Her path of destruction involves Apple Bloom falling face first in the ground, in her mind. Will Apple Bloom survive Diamond Tiara's onslaught? Will I introduce the other ponies' next chapter? Find out, next time!