• Published 7th Dec 2014
  • 1,911 Views, 4 Comments

Twilight's Kingdom: Unite & Ascend - RockStarMLP



The final battle with Tirek and the start of Twilight's new reign, the climaxes retold

  • ...
23
 4
 1,911

Outlooks & Identities

The long day had reached its twilight time as the evening hours came around. Princess Twilight, along with her friends and family, introduced the newly erected castle to the Ponyvillians, and had just bid them, along with the other princesses and Discord, a day's farewell and a good night's rest. It was a long day that was finally near its end, but with so much to reflect upon.

The group had taken its tour of the palace earlier, taking in the new sights of the new home of the newly titled Princess of Friendship, her faithful assistant, and her daughter. It was a beautiful new layout, even if there were some crystals that shined a little too bright at times, or caused a certain dragon to salivate a bit. One stop that held the group up the most were two adjacent bedrooms belonging to Spike and Nyx, and the two erupted with joy and excited. Now they wouldn't be crammed in with Twilight in a single bedroom, and they all loved it. Twilight didn't show it, but she could admit that it was very well needed for all of them, particularly herself, even if she was used to sharing the bedroom space for so many years.

The group found themselves gathered in the throne room, everypony sitting in their respective seats. The Mane 6 each had the same sized throne that had their cutie marks engraved at the tops of the backboards. Even Nyx and Spike had their own thrones, both at a smaller scale and one sitting on each side of Twilight's. The only notable difference between the two was Nyx's, whose throne sat to Twilight's left, with her cutie mark engraved on it like the other ponies.

They were letting the reality of what was there sinking in, and what their roles in Equestria have evolved to from being Elements of Harmony. Twilight Sparkle, now with her role as a princess defined, and with her friends and family, all part of the newly established Royal Court of Harmony.

"This is quite somethin', aint it?" Applejack said. "I never would've thought I'd be a part of anythin' like this, even with us bein' the Elements of Harmony and all."

"It is very surprising," Fluttershy said, her tone putting it mildly. "I guess with all the strange and interesting things that happened to all of us, this could be their result."

"Speaking about something strange, or should I say someone..." Rarity said, her attention on the group's purple mare. "You seemed kind to Discord earlier, and Fluttershy was as well. How could you have possibly acted that way towards him after what he's done in the recent few days?"

Twilight didn't respond to this question immediately, and she looked back at what times they spent with him since his reformation. From learning friendship from Fluttershy, to his number of stunts between the two and other ponies, all the way up to asking about having his own throne and giving Princess Celestia a bouquet of flowers. She thought of an answer that was careful, and wise. When she found the right conclusion, she turned to Rarity and gave her response.

"I know that he helped Tirek take magic from so many ponies, and that includes the majority of us. However, not everypony is an evil monster like how Tirek is, and to me, not all of Discord's actions have been for evil; it's just his way of behaving. He showed us sincere regret for his actions, and his gesture of giving me my key to the chest was a form of apology I can accept. Discord might be the Lord of Chaos, but even he deserves a chance to be forgiven."

"And he said he was sorry," added Fluttershy, "and I could really see that he meant it. If a pony is willing to say they were sorry and try to make up for their actions, then they're not a bad pony. They were just a friend that made some bad decisions."

The ponies heard those words like an echo of past events. She had said that back when Nyx was turned to Nightmare Moon, and Luna asked Fluttershy for her opinion on how the former villain should be punished. The comparison between Nyx's actions as Nightmare Moon and Discord's recent betrayal were parallel in occurrences, but the biggest thing both shared was the regret they each had after later events.

Nyx sat on her throne with her head bowed and ears flattened. Her eyes stared down to the ground as her hoof twirled around in a circle on the seat. Although it was for a more positive reason, she didn't like being made an example of, especially with what bullies had done to her and what she did to ponies as Nightmare Moon. It made her uncomfortable and embarrassed, but it was a consequential part of Luna's judgment from what happened two years ago.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Nyx said. "Discord did help Tirek do terrible things, but forgiveness is worth giving him another chance."

Twilight looked down at Nyx with a smile. She knew what her daughter was going through, and how mentions of her past made her uncomfortable or provoked other ponies. But as often as it has tended to happen, sometimes too often, Nyx has grown to handle it maturely, just like that moment. To her, Nyx was a perfect example of why she forgave Discord so easily, and that was knowing what he did was wrong and facing judgment of others when in regret and apologizing.

Twilight reached her hoof down to Nyx's chin, turning the filly's head to face up at her. She did see some shame in Nyx's eyes, but the smile she had helped break through it as Nyx gently smiled as well.

"If there's anything I know," Twilight said with optimism, mainly to everypony at first, "is that if you can be the best little pony you can be, then Discord can become the best he can be. It just takes time, just like how I waited for you to come around back then."

Nyx's smiled widened, and she began to feel much better. She got up and set her hooves on her throne's left arm, extending her head out to nuzzle just under Twilight's head on her neck. Twilight returned the nuzzling until Nyx pulled her head back and sit back onto her throne, keeping her head turned up to her mother.

"Do you think I, or even Discord, can be the best pony he or I can be?" Nyx asked.

"Of course," Twilight replied, "I have no doubt about that."

"Well," Nyx said, a small bit of doubt, but trying to hide quite a bit of humor, in her voice, "I don't know if I'll be able to be that."

All the ponies were puzzled by that last comment, unsure of where that came from. Pinkie Pie took initiative and asked "Well why do you doubt yourself, Miss Down 'n Doubty?"

"Because to be the best pony I can be, I want to be the best pony anypony would want to be. I want to be like my mom..." She paused herself as everyone looked at her, the feelings in their hearts warmed and touched by such a sweet filly. "But seeing that my mom is my mom, being the Element of Magic and the Princess of Friendship, I have a looong way to go before I can become that great."

The entire circle of friends laughed at Nyx's comment, it being so adorable it was funny. Twilight playfully nuggied the top of her daughter's head before Nyx used a hoof to push it away. Just a moment following that, another arm's end playfully rustled on her head, but it was felt more like a hand than a hoof.

This action came from Cosmo, who was standing next to Nyx's throne during the conversation, but was quiet because she hadn't had the opportunity to add to the conversation. After she could tell the filly had enough, she stopped and let her arm rest to her side as she looked down at Nyx happily.

"I wouldn't worry too much about that Nyx," Cosmo said. "Your mother is an extraordinary alicorn and wonderful friend in her own ways. You are her daughter, thus you are a mirror to how she is and what you'll be."

Nyx looked up at the Seedrian confused. "A mirror?"

"Yes," Cosmo continued. "You are a reflection of Twilight, which means you will become her in many ways and always be just as great as she is, but with your own image by your own actions."

"Well, that's one way to look at it," Rainbow Dash stated a moment after the Seedrian spoke, scratching the back of her head with her hoof.

"I think that was very well worded," Rarity said, "but if I may return us to our earlier conversation, I think the new roles we have now is something very impressive to put it at least."

Pinkie then added "Oh I know! We're like a super important royal-like group of ponies! We have a lot of big decisions to make."

"We do?" Fluttershy said nervously. "Oh my, I don't know if I can make such important decisions for other ponies."

"Don't worry about that, Fluttershy. It isn't as if we'll be having to do it every day, just when something needs to be discussed," Twilight assured her friend.

"Sounds like the right kind of plan to me," said Applejack.

"It's a plan that worked for us," said Tails. The fox was leaning against the left side of Fluttershy's throne, which basically put him at the opposite of Nyx. He spent the entire time leaning on his back, his arms crossed, and one leg crossing in front of the other, a very laid back way similar to an influential friend from home.

"Cosmo and I have had plenty of experience having those kind of meetings with our friends whenever there's been trouble to prepare for. What you have here is not that different; everyone has their say, ideas are given, and decisions are made. I have no doubt you'll do amazing things for your world."

Spike wore a face of pride and said "Naturally. We are that important after all." The ponies just rolled their eyes amused as the fox just had a small chuckle.

"Yes you are," Tails replied, and left it at that. He looked around at the others and said "This begins a whole new chapter of adventures in your lives, and if there's anything Cosmo or myself or any of our friends can do to help, never hesitate to call us."

"Thank you," Twilight said. "It means a lot to know we have so much help from so many friends, no matter where they're from."

"The feeling's mutual," Cosmo replied.

Tails nodded and then added "And we look forward to where this will take us, but I do want to ask one thing."

"And what's that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I know you can handle whatever comes your way, and I know that through the best or worst of times that your friendship with each other, with us, and with everypony and every other being, will see you through. You all have what it takes and I can't wait to see your actions take action, just like how Cosmo and I are with our friends. My question for you is-

"Are you ready?"

The circle of mares, dragon and filly smile confidently towards one-another, showing each other that they were as prepared as Tails had described them to be. Twilight looked at the fox with a smile and replied "We're more than ready."

The fox leaned himself off of the yellow pegasus's throne and back onto his own two feet. He had the same facial expression, but gave the princess a thumbs up and said "That's just what I was expecting."

Nyx was next to speak, or at least to try and speak as she said "So what's next to..." She let out a long yawn that made her unable to finish.

Before Twilight could say anything, she yawned as well. The yawning was followed by Fluttershy, then Pinkie Pie and then everypony else, and Tails and Cosmo as well. Yawning is a funny thing sometimes, how it can be an involuntary action by others after one would do it. It could be called a contagious and most safe kind of 'disease' that could spread around any group of beings. Some only yawned once, but others that were much younger yawned multiple times, and it took a minute before the yawns have ended.

"Well," the purple alicorn said, "I think we've had a long enough day. It's time we get some rest."

"...Sounds good to me," Tails agreed as he stretched his arms up in the air. Walking across the circle of thrones, he approached his loving fiance and said "Ready to go home, Cosmo?"

Cosmo nodded and then said "Yes. A good night's rest is well earned right now." When he stood next to her, she wrapped an arm around his back and added "Because we have some important plans to start making tomorrow. Wouldn't you agree?"

Tails laughed at what she meant and answered "Oh I know we do." Then, he gave her a quick peck on her lips, causing her to laugh afterwards.

"Oh come on, man," Spike complained. "Save that for your home, will ya?"

"Ah, come on, Spike," Nyx said. "I think it's cute."

The couple and Mane 6 just laughed at the two's words for a moment before Tails looked down at one of his wrists. On it was an item called a com-link, which could help those from worlds foreign to Equestria accomplish several incredible things. After pressing on several buttons built into the device, it emitted a strange sound from it, sounding musical in a way. He shut the item when he was done, and turned around to find Twilight, along with her friends and family, standing behind them.

"Twilight, if it wouldn't be too much trouble..." Tails tried to request a favor from the alicorn, who cut him off knowing what he was about to ask.

"It's no trouble at all," Twilight replied.

She then used her magic, putting immense focus into it. After a few moments, she shot a beam of magic out of her horn just a few feet in front of the interdimensional couple. It took a circular shape and maintained itself, but at the cost of a little fatigue on her part. What she had accomplished was the interdimensional spell she mastered not too long after the couple's first visit, opening a portal that will lead the two back home to Mobius.

Tails and Cosmo faced the ponies, with the former saying "Well, it's been good everypony, but it's time to relax for a little bit."

"After all the horrors that monster Tirek put us through, I couldn't agree more," said Rarity.

"Well I guess this is..."

Cosmo was interrupted by Nyx, who jumped up to the couple and wrapped her hooves around the Seedrian hero's waist. She gave the biggest hug she could and nuzzled her head against Cosmo's body.

"Thanks for everything today," the filly said. "You're wonderful heroes."

Cosmo smiled and leaned down eye level to Nyx for a moment. She said "And thank you for saving me, and being a hero, too," and then picked the filly up and hugged her back.

Tails joined in as he wrapped an arm around Cosmo, and then found Nyx nuzzling her head against him. The Mane 6 and Spike decided to join in as well as they surrounded the trio for a big group hug. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash flew up to get behind Tails and Cosmo. Rarity took to Tails's open said, and Applejack at Cosmo's open side. Pinkie Pie popped up between the pegasi as if she came out of nowhere. Twilight found a place in the middle of the Mobian couple, and to be able to nuzzle against Nyx's head, with Spike sitting on her back. It was a warming circle of best friends, and multiple definitions of family.

"You know what this calls for?" Pinkie Pie said. Where the immediate thought through everyone's mind was a party, she took them on a different turn. "A picture!"

The end of her puffy pink tail then popped up in front of them, holding a camera that faced their direction. The ponies and Spike never argued how Pinkie does every single thing she could do and became used to her actions, but it took Nyx a longer while to get used to it compared to the others; some things she wasn't even used to yet. Tails and Cosmo, however, looked at each other for a second in complete surprise as to where that camera came from, and how her tail was able to act like a third arm to use. Given what they have seen in many other worlds and from their inhabitants, there was no point to question it at all, and instead they each giggled internally. They also recalled a few key words of advice they received by one of the ponies-

It's Pinkie Pie. Don't question it.

"Alright, sayyyy... Uh, what should we say?" said Pinkie.

"Uh, cheese?" Applejack suggested.

"No, silly," the pink mare said, "not for this picture. Cheese doesn't cut it this time."

They all thought for a few seconds for the right thing to say. It was Nyx who came up with what to say, and after giving her suggestion, they all agreed to it. Pinkie began a small countdown to follow before saying it together.

"1... 2... 3!"

"Best Friends Forever!"

And with a press of a button, the camera flashed and took the desired picture. The group had one more quick embrace before releasing, allowing Tails and Cosmo to be freed and make their way to the portal. They stood just before it and gave their goodbyes, but Tails also said to them "We'll get everything ready for you soon!"

The couple then took their steps through, crossing through the portal that exited Equestria, and for their case, entering Mobius again through their dimensional gate at their home. Only a few seconds after they were out of sight, the portal shrank in size and disappeared from sight. It was the end of the day's events and adventures for Tails and Cosmo on Equestria, and for Twilight Sparkle and her friends and family, an end to one chapter of their lives to start another. The remainder of the group then dispersed as Twilight's friends left her palace to return to their own homes, and she, Spike and Nyx went to their new bedrooms and spend their first night in their new home.

Tomorrow would begin Twilight's new reign as the Princess of Friendship, her royal calling she seeked, but also the beginning to plan a new adventure. She might be a princess, but she did manage to set time aside to allow a nice vacation to a new place in the near future for herself and those she cared so much for. After all, it's not every day that she, her family and best friends get to see a new world together, and get a broader look at the life and experiences new places had to offer.

/)∞(\

"A few days ago I felt that my royal position in Equestria had little meaning. In the time between then and today, I discovered many things, all of which that helped me realize just what I can do for everypony as a princess.

"Your friends can so often make mistakes for many reasons, and sometimes in those mistakes do they learn that they harm everypony around them, and themselves. If they see that and are willing to admit to their mistakes and apologize, then they earned themselves another chance. A pony can make mistakes every day, but true friends are willing to accept them for taking responsibility of their wrong-doings and say they are sorry, and their friends willing to forgive them in return. Nyx taught us all that when she believed she was Nightmare Moon, and that made me think that Discord deserved the same for his recent actions.

"When you have to deal with a difficult task, friends are always there to help you when you need it, sometimes from the farthest places. Cosmo arriving to save Nyx was a blessing, but when Tails was in a position where he would be in line of fire, the last thing anypony would want to do is harm a helping friend. But instead, his insistence and confidence taught a lesson in a way perhaps nopony could experience in our world. Friends have this incredible way to strengthen each other, whether it's by morale or action, regardless of the circumstance, that all help reach the desired goals of one or all. It also has two ends of consequences as where there are the supporters, the receivers give back in return, and today was Tails, who helped give us victory against Tirek, and us who helped him ascend to a new pinnacle of power.

"Being reminded that we have friends beyond Equestria is a reminder I was very glad to be given. If it wasn't for Tails and Cosmo's arrival, Tirek would have the entire country under his control, and even worse, Nyx may have been taken aw...

We all worked together, and thanks to them, had the time to discover a way to victory. My new home, my family, and my friends; none of that would be here without that reminder, and Equestria will always have eternal gratitude for the greatest heroes of Mobius, and some of the best friends ponies can be to foxes and Seedrians.

"All of the actions of my friends and family helped me realize so much in the last few years. Today, however, they helped me realize something else. With their help, I know now my royal responsibilities to my country and fellow ponies.

"With the help of my friends, I learned that there will always be an event that will stir what friendship and the Elements of Harmony mean to ponies, ourselves included. We will work together to further spread and maintain the meanings of laughter, generosity, honesty, kindness and loyalty - all empowered and bonded by its magic - to anypony who needs it. Our elements are connected with us, and we will spread that connection throughout Equestria as one whole; as the Royal Court of Harmony. As the Princess of Friendship, I, Twilight Sparkle, promise to make sure of it.

"It is a promise that I will keep for everypony, and another lesson they've taught me that I'll hold in my heart forever. No matter what life will contain in the future, we will overcome it all, for friendship is our key.

"Friendship is Magic."



Twilight closed the journal after writing down her thoughts from the long few days behind her. It was late at night, and the alicorn found it hard to sleep. At first she thought it was because of the new living arrangements she had in her new castle, including how she no longer shared the same room with Spike and Nyx. It did bother her at first, but it wasn't the source of her sleeping issues.

Although the events of Lord Tirek's trek across Equestria was over, the events that took place were still on her mind. She thought about it all one event at a time, and what she had learned and experienced from each one. It then struck her that it was a new journal entry that was yet to be written in amongst the others. With a quick surge of her magic, she teleported to the ancient castle in the Everfree forest, the last place she recalled seeing the journal, and found it in the old library. She then teleported back to her castle and wrote the new entry in it.

That seemed to be what she needed. When the journal was shut and her thoughts written, her mind felt more at ease, thus wanting the rest of her body to relax and replenish itself. She dimmed the light that her horn emitted to see, shrouding her new bedroom into the peaceful dark of Luna's night. She then walked to her new bed, but only to stop just as a hoof was placed on her new bed.

Twilight's ear caught a sound coming from beyond her bedroom door. It wasn't shut completely, just open by an inch or so. The more she focused on the noise, the more she recognized it being footsteps. Judging by the pace of the steps, it sounded as if it was only two feet walking across the palace's crystal floors.

But then Twilight heard more steps following it. This time, the pace of these were faster, and they sounded like hoofsteps judging by the rhythm. She poked her head out her bedroom door to investigate, looking side to side to see if the steps' sources were to be seen.

"Nyx?"

"Spike?"

She got no answer from filly nor dragon. Instead, she heard the gentle creaking of the palace's front door not once, but twice at about a minute apart. At that point, she trotted out of her room and checked in the castle's other two bedrooms, finding no one in each.

"Where did those two get off to?" Twilight asked herself, making their way to the front doors. "Why would they just get up at leave in the middle of the night? I've told them they need to stay home unless..." That's when the realization hit her, and she knew where they had gone.

"Home..."

She then made her way to the front doors. Using most of her magic already and being too mentally fatigued, she couldn't teleport to where she needed to go again, so she had to hoof it this time. She ran out the front doors and shut it behind her, and then raced her way through Ponyville to her first home; their first Ponyville home.