• Published 16th Jul 2011
  • 4,940 Views, 89 Comments

Divergence - Seattle_Lite

  • ...
11
 89
 4,940

Gravity

════════════════════════════════ ►
Divergence
◀ ════════════════════════════════

Chapter 6
Gravity
An MLP:FiM Fanfiction by Seattle Lite


The Unicorn tore through the underbrush, her mane a riotous tangle of branches and leaves. Her normally lustrous coat was frayed and scuffed, abrasions and small cuts perforating her hide; a trail of fresh blood smeared across her cheek from the tree she had careened into mere moments ago. In her haste, she had been paying scant attention to where she was going beyond a hazy guess at a general direction. Most importantly at this time however, her only real concern for a heading was away.

Bursting from the bushes, she launched herself into the air from a small incline and plunged at full speed into a narrow river. The water churned about her chest as she desperately powered her way through to the other side, the cold numbing her open wounds. As she gained her hooves against the slippery stones, she paused to gasp in burning lungfuls of air, vigorously shaking herself dry.

The plaintive voice of her companion came from behind her, less in a series of individual protests, and more a consistent bemoaning of every tangled snag and thorned bush she had to push through. Twilight lifted her head to see the alabaster Unicorn just now clearing through to the far side of the bank.

“Rarity!” Twilight called, “Come on! We need to move! They could be right behind us!”

“I… am trying darling, but all of this… ‘flight for one’s life’ business… is not precisely... my forte… as t'were. " She gasped, chest heaving for breath. "And these bags are stuffed… so full they catch… on absolutely everything!” Rarity protested as she forged her way through the strong current. Shaking the excess water away from her coat as well, she took a moment to try to catch her breath, and took in Twilight’s appearance. Having already been horribly assaulted before their flight began, she truly was in an awful state; the makeshift bandages she’d applied in the castle had torn away in their frantic rush through the wilds, and now she had the additional injuries of the forest’s obstacles to account for. With a shudder of revulsion, Rarity pushed away any thoughts of what she must look like at the moment.

The pair had been in full flight for the better part of half an hour, and neither of the Unicorns were particularly built for the effort. Twilight had spent more time in academic and mystical pursuit than sports; her trim build was more a matter of a naturally high pony metabolism than anything. Rarity herself was far from being considered an athlete in any arena, and if put to the question, would be rather proud of the distinction; she did, although, maintain a regular habit of exercises to keep her haunches trim and lines angular. At the moment however, both were bemoaning their respectively low reserves of endurance as they panted raggedly.

"Twilight, where… is the path?" Rarity asked, beginning to recover her wind.

Reflexively, Twilight looked up to the sky to orient her position with the constellations she had grown so familiar with over long, loving hours with her telescope and charts back in Canterlot. Two things prevented her from doing so. Primarily, it was the sprawl of the thick canopy overhead, blotting out nearly any view of the sky above. Yet, even without the near omnipresent boughs to obscure her sight, the stars would have likely been impossible to see, as brilliant beams of moonlight were cutting through the leaves and limning the trees around the two ponies. To illuminate the surrounding forest as it did, the moon must have been uncannily bright. As such, it was likely far too bright to allow the shine of the stars to be seen clearly. While the moon’s intensity was as unnatural as it was unsettling, it did make the forest easily bright enough to be navigated without having to light their horns, so Twilight wasn’t going to complain, at least on that front.

Looking around, Twilight answered hesitantly, "I'm… not sure, Rarity. I'm not even sure that we should take the path. I can't think of a quicker way to be caught than to stay on the only road coming or going."

Rarity blanched. She couldn't mean… "You can't actually be saying we have to continue pressing through this jungle! Not only will we be horribly lost, it shall take us simply forever to get anywhere," she protested. Though Twilight's reasoning was sound, the thought of what lay ahead was… daunting, to say the least. On the other hoof, now that she considered it… She sighed and said, "I suppose you're right, Twilight; staying to the main path would be foolish. We have not a hope of losing anypony staying to the road. Not to mention Rainbow Dash and Applejack… if… Well, either way, we have to be clever. Simply trying to outrun those two isn't an option, I'm afraid."

Twilight frowned, greatly disquieted. While the assumption of inevitable pursuit was a given, this cast an entirely new perspective on the situation, one Rarity hadn't actually raised directly yet. They apparently couldn't simply be content with orienting themselves and forging a path through the forest; once Dash and Applejack had discovered they weren't taking the road—and they would, before long—they would begin to track them. Looking down, the sight of a few drops of her own blood on the river stones served as a stark reminder to yet another layer of complication to their predicament.


Without warning, the roar of an outraged Dragon ripped through the forest, slamming into the two Unicorns with a psychological force so intense it was like a physical blow. Their poses were darkly comical in the manner they mirrored one another; one hoof raised, mouth hanging open, ears laid back, tail tucked, their respective pupils the relative size of pin-pricks.

The Dragons. How the hay could I have forgotten the Dragons?! Twilight thought frantically. Other ponies were one thing. Dragons… were another entirely. Twilight's mind spun with a chaotic brilliance as she analyzed the situation from a dozen angle: strategically, keeping to the deep forest was even more the correct decision now, but the vague notions that had been flitting about her mind for throwing pursuit off their trail just got a lot more serious. No Dragon would be deterred by a simple cantrip… not that she wouldn't still use them creatively, but now more drastic measures were called for. She would have to play it by ear though. There was simply no time to fully formulate any plans now, so she acted on the first tactic that came to her mind.

"Give me a moment here Rarity."

Pointing her horn towards the river, she built up enough energy for a fairly common holding spell, innovatively tweaked the weave, and released it into the flowing water. The river glittered and slowed for just a moment before the motes of light settled, merging fully with the surface. The instant somepony, or dragon, set foot in the stream for twenty feet in either direction from the casting point, the entire section would turn to solid ice, capturing whatever happened to be in the drink. She turned to explain what she'd done and the implications to their additional predicament, but found Rarity's eyes clenched shut, her horn aglow and already working at something, pointing in her direction. Curious, she looked about, left and right. Nothing was enveloped in the Unicorn’s distinctive hue of levitation magic. Twilight cocked her head, curious as to what she was attempting when Rarity released her spell in a flash of light. She gasped as pain lanced about her sides, legs—all over really. Stumbling back with a cry, she exclaimed, "Rarity, what—"

"Sorry for the lack of warning darling, but it was necessary. You were… leaking, all over the place. I'm no Florent Nightingale at medical magics, but I am an expert at manipulating fabrics and… well, skin and coat are something of a fabric… in a manner of speaking…" she said, slightly abashed. "That couldn't have felt pleasant, for which I do apologize, but you've been leaving a fairly vibrant trail up to this point."

Looking down and about at herself, Twilight took in what Rarity was talking about. Her wounds had been—while not precisely healed—at least closed. It wasn't pretty, but she was no longer bleeding profusely, and as the pain ebbed, she found a measure of relief in the ministration. Voicing her thanks, she turned back to the forest. "Well, we need to press on, but I don’t want to just keep going in a random direction.”

“Speaking of direction, darling, where do you intend on going?” Rarity asked, a note of trepidation in her voice.

Twilight blinked at this; she thought the answer would be self-evident. “Well, we’re heading to Ponyville, obviously. I can’t just leave Spike there!”

Rarity let out a breath of relief. “Oh, good. I was concerned you intended to head straight to Canterlot, and I simply wouldn’t be able to do so without seeing to Sweetie Bell’s safety first.”

“Wait, ‘first’? You mean to say you intend to on with me? I don’t... Rarity, why?”

“Well let’s see, Twilight Sparkle. Things aren’t exactly going to be safe for me just sitting out in the open at my boutique, will they? That’s the first place anypony will think to look for me. You think I just ran out of the castle with you on a whim?” Rarity’s voice was rising indignantly as she began to get worked up. “I came with you because I care about you!”

Taken aback, and now somewhat abashed, Twilight stumbled for words. “I... thank you, Rarity. I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I were all alone out here. Thank you,” she said, a powerful warmth flooding through her chest.

After a brief moment of the pair smiling at one another, a thought crossed Rarity’s mind. “Darling, how precisely are we going to find our way back?”

Twilight paused a moment, extrapolating with the information at hoof. “Well, based on our direction of flight from the castle, and this point where we’ve reached the river... Ponyville should be... generally that way,” she said, pointing her hoof with a fair amount of confidence. “If you could focus on just edging aside the larger branches out of our way, and be extra careful not to break any, then I'll work on covering our trail and figuring out a few more 'distractions'."

The Unicorns nodded at one another, and set off.

~~~~~~

Rainbow Dash was seeing red. Some ponies with a bent for sarcasm may have been tempted to make a quip at that, perhaps snarking that her large, ruby-tinted irises produced such an effect anyway. Such a pony would not be wise to venture such a comment at the moment, for they would likely stand to lose a muzzle-full of teeth. To phrase the situation more aptly, Rainbow Dash was pissed.

She had been more confused than anything after Twilight had nearly blasted her out of the air, and had been about to rush after them. Rarity was with her and they were obviously really freaked out. That was when she had seen it; the broken wing jutting from tons of rubble. A yellow wing. With a strangled scream of denial, she launched herself over to the pile, bloodying her hooves as she desperately tore at the jagged stone and mortar, trying to reach her oldest friend.

Dash hopped back with a startled yelp when a luminescent aura suddenly enveloped every stone of the cave-in, large and small. Dust plumed anew as each chunk began to lift individually, all moving as if with a negative magnetic polarity with the body of the bloody, yellow-coated Pegasus. Once clear of her body, every stone simply dematerialized; there was no great flash, no burst of flame, just a fizzling of star-lit energy, and the tons of granite and marble simply ceased to be.

Dash could now see that Luna had been pinned beneath the rubble as well. She was crouched down and was, to all appearances, completely unharmed. Her wing had been extended over the body of Fluttershy; even so, the all-too-mortal little mare had not escaped the battering of tons of falling stone, though it was certain the Princess had saved her life.

“Fluttershy!” The shout preceded the arrival of Applejack, and she came to a skidding halt next to Rainbow Dash, who was crouched down, nosing the seemingly lifeless body of Fluttershy and mumbling incoherently between sobs.

“Dear Goddess, what happened?!” Applejack’s question, at no lower volume than her first exclamation, went unanswered as Luna rose and shook herself brusquely, producing a cloud of dust that filtered through the slanted moonlight of a nearby window.

Frowning down, Luna stepped forward, shooing Rainbow clear from her friend’s body and ignoring AJ’s outbursts entirely. Dipping her head to hover just above Fluttershy, her horn burst into a darkly violet radiance which softly enveloped the fallen Pegasus, raising her into the air in a light cloud of scintillating energy. As Fluttershy’s limp form hung there in the cloud of magic, the true extent of her wounds came into full display. Dash gagged, turning away, while Applejack moaned lightly, staring transfixed at the sight. Their friend’s wing was completely shattered, the feathers torn and matted with blood, her hind leg roughly broken, a deep gash running its length. Luna frowned, and the intensity of the magic increased, enveloping the Pegasus in a miniature, sparkling nebula, completely obscuring her form from view.

Applejack moved closer to Rainbow, placing a hoof across her shoulders in sympathy. The touch seemed to snap Dash out of her stupor; she blinked rapidly and roughly wiped the tears from her face with a foreleg. Her wing unfurled, throwing Applejack’s hoof away from her. Her eyes narrowing to slits, Dash failed to notice the hurt look Applejack gave her as she turned toward the door where the two Unicorns had made their escape. A growl rumbled low and deep in her throat and she took a step toward the castle’s courtyard. Applejack, suddenly coming to terms with her friend’s mentality, threw herself in her intended path.

“Dash! No! Now’s not the time, ya’ hear me?” she said, her tone openly pleading.

Goddammit, AJ! Get... out... of my... way!” Dash growled the emphasis into each word, every muscle in her body painfully taut.

“Git ahold ah yerself, Rainbow! Ya’ can’t just go buckin’ off full tilt right now! Fluttershy needs us! She comes before dealin’ with Twilight an’ Rarity right now!” Applejack insisted, stomping a hoof.

Dash blanched, her ears folding back as Applejack gave voice to the fount of her rage. It was so much easier to be in the midst of an emotion than confront its source. Unbidden, a thought rose to the fore of her mind, and it terrified her to the core, for she knew it was true: If Fluttershy dies, I swear on everything I’m worth—I’ll fucking kill them both.

“Rainbow Dash.” Luna’s voice, hard as silver, cut into Dash’s private terror with her own thoughts.

The pair looked over to the princess, who stood above Fluttershy’s curled form, now returned to the ground. She was breathing easily now, and to Rainbow and AJ’s dual shock, not only were her wounds now closed—her wing and leg mended into their proper forms—but Pinkie Pie was nestled up next to her, her head resting atop Fluttershy.

“Pinkie! Where’d y’all come from?!” Applejack exclaimed.

Pinkie raised her gaze to meet the eyes of her friends, a light shine of unshed tears reflecting the moonlight. “I’m always around silly,” she said, a ghost of smile gracing her muzzle. She returned her attention to Fluttershy; she began to sing a light, bittersweet tune under her breath into the pink mane of the prone filly.

Once more, Luna’s voice cut the moment as she took charge; her tone could well have been carved of ice. “Rainbow, see to your friend; she needs rest. Get her into bed, and then return to the hall immediately. I will not be long, but I have some personal business below.” Turning, Luna began to trot brusquely down the corridor toward the lower halls of the keep.

Watching her go, Rainbow huffed, not at all satisfied with the putting off of finding out what the hay was going on, or having to hold back in doing something about it... but the Princess and Applejack, were right—Fluttershy came first.

With great care, the three mares lifted their friend between them; Applejack and Dash were at her sides, allowing Pinkie to slide underneath her and fully bear the limp weight. The unconscious Pegasus moaned in pain at the movement, despite the care they took with her. The three trotted carefully toward Pinkie’s room, which happened to be the closest, where they quickly gathered extra blankets, arranging them atop the mattress and easing Fluttershy carefully atop the now triple-layered, extra-cushiony bed.

The friends had said not a word on the way, but now, with Fluttershy settled, they shared a meaningful look, the tension in the air almost daring one of them to speak first into the silence.

Applejack had just opened her mouth to speak when an unworldly, feral wail tore through the air, stifled almost immediately by the castle shifting under what felt like the force of an earthquake. It was as though the fist of a god had slammed down on reality itself, and the friends were forced to the ground under the press of a sudden, unseen pressure from above. As quickly as it came, the force relented, and all was silent.

“What in the hay was that?!” squawked AJ, terrified and wide-eyed.

Dash shook her head roughly. “I dunno, but let’s go find out! Quick!”

AJ spoke, “But what about—”

Pinkie broke in. “You guys go. I’m not leaving Fluttershy.”

“Good on ya’ Pink!” Applejack said warmly. Dash nodded at Pinkie in acknowledgement and thanks, and the pair tore out the room at full speed, heading back to the hall.

In her haste, Dash reflexively spread her wings, her hooves still in full gallop but barely touching the ground as she pulled ahead of the earth pony. Taking the final corner at top speed, Dash banked hard and felt a sharp pull as Applejack latched onto her tail. The Pegasus’s tail in her teeth, Applejack’s hooves skid hard against the stone as they jackknifed around the sharp angle and out into the large antechamber.

There stood Luna, as promised. Her feathers were ruffled, and she was fluttering one wing while delicately preening the other, returning them to a pristine order.

“Princess!” Dash shouted, barely slowing in her approach. “What was that just now?!”

“Oh, just attending to a reminder, Rainbow Dash. Nothing to be concerned about.”

Applejack opened her mouth to ask just what in the hay that was supposed to mean, but Luna continued, unabated. “Now then, we are needed outside. This is proving be a very interesting evening, and we must act before certain things get entirely out of hoof.” Turning abruptly, she led the way through the rubble-strewn antechamber and out into the cool night air.

Applejack need not have worried about her curiosity going unanswered, for as they came out into the vast, grassy courtyard, she gasped in shock. At two things, really, and she would have been hard-pressed to say which weighed more heavily upon her frayed nerves. Firstly, there was the moon. It was huge, filling over a full quarter of the night sky. She had admired many a full moon above a ripe orchard before, but this one looked like it had decided to come down for a picnic with Equestria! Below it, and coming in close second for her immediate attention, were the dragons, assembled together in a half circle. Scales shining in the near-daylight brightness of the silver light, they sat arrayed in a half circle, awaiting the princess’ approach.

Luna, not breaking stride, looked skyward and tutted lightly to herself. “Hm. Perhaps I overdid it a bit,” she said under her breath. Luna didn’t actually need to ignite her horn to work with the moon any longer. Her ancient affections were now fully reestablished, and so it was that she merely... flexed her symbiotic connection and the great body began to gently recede to its more natural size and space.

Nearing the dragons, not that one needed to be terribly near to make them out, it became clear that one of them was not in a very good mood. While the other two were composed, including the gigantic one that spoke with Luna before, the one on the far left was clearly struggling to contain himself. He was snarling deep and low in his throat, his claws tearing furrows in the ground as they flexed, gaze fixed on the treeline of the forest. His companion—the one of similar size—nudged him roughly and growled something short and harsh.

The sight was not a comforting one for anypony trotting up to any dragon, and AJ felt her mane beginning to bristle in instinctive fear as she and Dash shared a look. They fell in a bit more tightly behind Luna.

The great dragon nodded respectfully at the approach of the moon goddess, intoning a somber greeting, “My Lady.”

“Saliant. I’m afraid we have had some rather unfortunate developments,” rejoined Luna.

“So I had noticed.” The dragon cocked a sardonic brow to the subtlety receding moon, still massive in the sky, then smirked. “You frightened the younglings my lady. Dragons are not accustomed to being flattened to the ground.” The other two shifted uncomfortably at the rare reminder that their kind were not, in fact, the most powerful beings of the land.

“My apologies Sali, I’m afraid I may have lost my temper with the creature.”

The more irate of the smaller dragons burst forward. “My Lady, I saw the two Unicorns flee into the forest from above, stuffed in their saddlebags were the Elementals. They have stolen them! And I felt what occurred within the castle. I cannot tolerate this disrespect, both to you and to my Elder! I beg release to retrieve them and give full answer to this insult!” the dragon growled, his fury barely restrained.

Saliant’s eyes glinted as he curtailed his immediate impulse to cuff the youth for allowing his emotions to so fully overwhelm his will. Rather, he chose to hold his peace while Luna considered the young one’s demand. There was a measure of honor involved here, after all, and he was curious as to Luna’s reasoning.

As far as Dash was concerned, Luna had paused for way too long. There’s no way she could let this dragon go after Twilight and Rarity! She got the distinct impression he was more interested in retrieving the Elements, and any pieces of the offending Unicorns that happened to still be attached to one another would be so merely by fortunate happenstance. Yes, she was beyond furious at the pair at the moment, and the Sun and Moon knew what she'd do when she got her hooves on them, but if this dragon got to them first…

Pushing abruptly past Applejack, Rainbow turned to face the goddess of the night.

"Princess, please, let me go after them! I'll bring them and the Elements back, I promise!"

"Hmm… " Luna hummed under her breath.

Applejack had quickly matched Rainbow's frightening rationale and came to the same conclusions, agreeing wholeheartedly. She moved to stand beside her friend to plead their case. "Please yer Highness, Dash an' me can take care ah this! Working together we can have a sight in the air and hooves on the ground." Applejack did her best to substitute the panicked motivation in her heart for the sound reasoning she was laying out; the resulting tone of voice was admirably level.

“My Lady!” the impatient dragon intoned in protest. His blood-lust was peaked, and these two little creatures were attempting to deprive him of his duty to avenge the insult done to his Elder! Not to mention the betrayal of this little goddess he had heard tales of since he was a hatchling; she who had long been held in the highest of esteem by the Elders.

His sibling leaned in, gripping his wrist in a vice as he hissed, “You fool! Hold your tongue! Do you want to serve a penance, or have you forgotten the honor brought to our Cave by being chosen to attend the Elder on this flight?”

The other dragon turned his head, fangs bared, an acidic response on his lips... when both froze under the sudden realization that Saliant was gazing at them both; a stare level, prolonged, and quite foreboding. The shine of his eyes held the promise of something dire should their little scene continue. With a great huff, the one who had pled and lost his case in one fell swoop wrenched his arm from the grip of his sibling, bowed low to both Elder and goddess in apology, and took to the air. His wings beat furiously as he drove himself higher and higher, venting his impotent fury in a great roar.

Turning back to Luna and the frightened little ones with her, the Elder spoke, “Forgive him Luna, the young are ever impetuous. I suggest you allow these two to go after their friends. Perhaps with fortitude and patience this matter may be resolved without any unfortunate duress.”

Luna had been smirking lightly throughout the exchange, and nodded at the dragon’s words. “A wise decision my friend,” she intoned. Turning to the ponies at her side, her countenance took on a stern appraisal.

“Rainbow Dash, you have been appointed as Captain of my Shadowbolts. This is not a distinction I have granted lightly, nor does it come without expectations of your quality. You have met these in spirit, now do so once again in action. You are to pursue the Unicorns Twilight Sparkle and Rarity, apprehend them, and return with the Elements. I place no small concern upon their well-being, but understand that the Elements of Harmony are of incredible significance. Should they fall into the wrong hooves, the potential for devastation is... vast. Do you both fully understand the situation?” she asked, regarding the pair solemnly.

In unison, and with equal gravity, the pair nodded. “We do Luna,” Rainbow Dash asserted.

~~~~~~

The Unicorns were traveling doggedly through the forest for all they were worth. As frantic and rushed as their travel had been initially, it was now careful and attentive. Rarity worked diligently, leading the way in their best guess of the direction of Ponyville, her horn aglow and delicately manipulating the foliage ahead, allowing them to pass without breaking any of the hanging vines or criss-crossing branches.

Twilight was just behind her, the greater portion of her attention on their back-trail, doing her best to erase any scuff marks on stone or hoof prints left in the soft earth. She had also been focused on coming up with a variety of clever tricks and traps to confound any pursuit. Unfortunately, despite her impressive knowledge of the arcane, there was little she could contrive that would prove more than minor inconvenience to a draconic hunter. Though several could certainly be fatal to a pony, this was a particular concern she didn't share with her companion.

In the routine and repetitive task of clearing the signs of their passage, Twilight was becoming increasingly lost in the downward spiral of her silent contemplations.

That thing was lying. It had to have been. Celestia can’t be dead, she just can’t be. But... lies. Why are there are so many lies? Even Celestia was lying to me. Worse, she was using me. That’s clear now: she had some kind of plan behind me being in Ponyville, she expected me to be able to do something. Should I be more upset that I failed her, or that I was just a pawn for her to throw about? I thought she cared about me, was that all just another charade? My entire life?

Twilight found herself biting her lip as her eyes began to water, the feeling of utter betrayal permeating her attempts to rationalize her way through recent events. And what was I supposed to do anyway? What did Celestia have planned? She must have thought I would be able to use the Elements somehow, that’s the only thing that makes sense. Why me? Did she give me something I’d need to use them? What did I bring with me... Spike? Could Spike be the key to using them? No, that doesn’t make any sense at all! If I can’t figure this out, it doesn’t matter how far I manage to run. Even if I make it all the way to Canterlot, I doubt even the full Council of Mages could do more than slow those dragons down if they decide to come for me, not to mention Nightmare Moon herself. Would the Council know how to use the Elements? How could they? As far as I know the Elements of Harmony are just an old ponytale to any serious scholar... and I would know! So what then?! I guess I can either just throw myself off a cliff or—

Twilight was broken roughly from her thoughts when she walked directly into Rarity's behind. As fortune would have it, her horn was not down.

"Oof!" she exclaimed in surprise, "Rarity, what is it, why'd you—" She was cut off by a sharp, "Shhh!" from the alabaster Unicorn. Perking her ears, she froze to listen for whatever had caught Rarity's attention. Was that… music? Barely discernible, filtering through the forest was, indeed, the unmistakable sound of music.

Twilight and Rarity exchanged glances. Nodding in unison, they changed direction, heading toward the sound. As they grew nearer, the music grew clearer and the forest about them began to thin out. What had been rugged and tangled jungle since the castle, slowly began to turn into a more orderly forest. A thin mist was in the air, wisps of the ephemeral substance clinging to the ancient trees. The scents of the wood about them were rich and old, the moss carpeting the ground beneath them sinking slightly under the weight of their hooves, making for silent progress.

They were close enough now to clearly discern that two instruments were at work. One resonating and deep, the other of a higher tone, like a... harp, perhaps? A duet was in progress, but not one of a classical harmony. The two instruments seemed to weave around one another in the refrains, as though in fluid competition for the more beautiful melody. The effect was a song of an increasingly heartbreaking melancholy that seemed to echo the very heartbeat of the ancient forest around them.

The Unicorns were utterly transfixed as they grew closer, the fog about them had become so thick they could barely see, but it sounded as though the source of the music was right there, all around them. Suddenly, the fog was gone, and Twilight looked back, startled by the abruptness of its end. A thoroughly opaque wall of mist was behind her, obscuring any sight of the forest beyond. Ahead, glimpsed through a copse of trees, was a picturesque glen.

They cautiously edged closer, sneaking up to crouch behind one of the larger trees and one to either side, peeked out around it. The clearing was large, here and there tall wheat grasses rose in tufts, their ripe ends golden and shining in the moonlight, as fireflies flit in a random synchronicity about the meadow. It was a stunningly beautiful scene. This place felt... hallowed. Sacred.

In the center, beneath the full glow of the moon, were two ponies, sitting a short distance apart and facing each other. One, whose dark brown mane was elegant and flowing, slid a bow across a large stringed instrument; Twilight thought she recognized it as a contra-bass. The other was... reclining in a manner Twilight had never seen anypony do before, though she plucked with exceptional grace at a shining lyre.

Reaching its inevitable crescendo, the song came to an end as the final note rang throughout the clearing. Twilight blinked, realizing she had began to cry softly at the beauty of the music. Truly, the melancholy tone was so heartbreaking, that she identified with it down to her core, as it seemed to sum up the emotional totality of her situation; how very lost she felt, like she'd never know the feeling of being home again even if she stood upon its doorstep, that her entire existence was as significant and long-lasting as a wave breaking upon the shore.

The slate-grey pony in the glen let out a long breath, then rose and dipped a graceful bow, as though a contest had been decided and she conceded a dignified defeat. With loving care, she slid her large wooden instrument into a protective case and hefted it across her back. Without a word she left the clearing, disappearing into the mists.

The verdant Unicorn stood, cloaked in the silence of the meadow, emanating an atmosphere of both the serene and the arcane.

The two fugitives looked at each other, exchanging hushed whispers behind the shelter of the tree.

"Do you know her? Who is she?" Twilight asked.

"I do, vaguely. I believe her name is Lyra, she lives in Ponyville. She moved recently."

“Why... how was she sitting like that? It looked so uncomfortable.”

“I’m sure I haven’t the faintest idea,” Rarity replied, her tone faintly indignant.

"Well how did she get out here? I thought the town was under lockdown?" Twilight whispered back.

Lyra's voice broke through the hush, loud and clear in the glen, causing the two in hiding to jump in shock. "I come and go as I please. Don't you?" she said, without turning to look back at them.

Their clandestine charade was up. Frowning in concern, the pair stood, slowly edging around the tree they'd been hiding behind.

"Beauty is so ephemeral a thing, wouldn’t you agree?" the green Unicorn asked, seemingly rhetorically, as though not expecting an answer.

Tilting her head up and back, looking at them through the corner of her eye, she added, "Though beauty without wisdom is a shallow thing, and grace without humility is a rather pathetic affectation… don't you think?" She grinned, casually stretching out her back with a feline grace.

Lyra finally turned to face the pair squarely, who were still standing hesitantly by the tree line. "Well? Come sit down and make yourselves comfortable. You are quite safe here, and by the looks of things, you could both use a moment of refuge."

Twilight wanted to be cautious, she really did, while Rarity was still struggling over whether or not she had the energy left to act affronted by this green Unicorn’s implications, which she felt were directed at her specifically. In the end though, neither had it in them. The offer of sanctuary, however tenuous, however temporary, was too appealing to reject for their physically and emotionally exhausted states.

Trotting closer, Twilight spoke, "Thank you for the offer. We just need a place to stay while we catch our breath."

Lyra laughed a bit at that, "Oh, my dear, you need much more than that."

Tilting her head, she asked, "What is that supposed to mean?"

Lyra sighed, and paused a moment before replying. "You need… a reason."

"Um, what?" Twilight asked, officially nonplussed.

"A reason. You've lost yours, and now doubt that you ever had any to begin with. An average pony cannot live day-to-day without one, not without becoming a hollow shell, to say nothing of one in whose saddlebags rest the fate of so many," Lyra said, one eyebrow raised.

Twilight felt her hackles rising at the mention of her saddlebags, or rather, what they contained. She was beginning to wonder when the last time she hadn’t been suspicious of somepony was.

"And what would you know about that?" she demanded.

Lyra smiled with an enigmatic serenity. "Clearly much more than you're comfortable with. Peace, Twilight Sparkle; not all things in this world exist to threaten and confound you, though it may seem so at times."

Unprepared to tackle that particular line, Twilight switched tracks, trying to stifle a yawn. “What... is this place? There’s powerful magic here, I can feel it but... it’s strange. Not like any kind I’ve studied.”

“This is my special place. The magic here is very old. It... called to me. It’s not like any kind of spell to be used. There’s something sanctified about the glen itself.” She shrugged lightly, as though discussing the weather. “The point is, it’s safe. Are you two hungry?”

At the mention of food, Twilight and Rarity’s stomachs growled in angry unison. They hadn’t eaten in what felt like ages, and the war between trepidation and hunger was a short one.

With a light chuckle, Lyra bent and lifted a basket from behind the stump she had rested her lyre upon. It was filled with carrots, cabbages and a small loaf of bread. She moved forward and set it down in an open offer. “Don’t be shy. Come, take your fill and rest,” she said, as she turned back to collect her lyre and settled back in her unique manner, resting against the stump.

Twilight and Rarity gratefully moved to the basket, settled down upon the comfortably thick grasses, and began to munch ravenously at the crisp and crunchy vegetables. Lyra, a short distance away, closed her eyes and began to play softly again, the music wrapping once more around the meadow.

Before they knew it, their bellies full and their bodies exhausted, the gentle music had lulled the two Unicorns down into a deep, dreamless sleep.

~~~~~~

Into the night, Lyra played and the two little ponies snored. The shroud of fog drifted in a lazy, ever-swirling arch about the clearing as the moon slid across the sky.

If one had been unaware or distracted, the sudden appearance of the new arrival would have gone completely unnoticed. Massive as the figure was, its emergence was utterly silent as it stepped smoothly through the ubiquitous wall of grey mist. Though Lyra was neither unaware nor distracted, her song continued unabated. For a time, the hulking new arrival simply stood, eyes turned skyward as he listened, large ears erect. A closing note ending the refrain, Lyra turned her head.

“So many visitors tonight,” she stated.

Large yellow eyes shifted to take in the slumbering ponies. “So it would seem.”

“And to what do I the honor of another visit so soon, night walker? It’s hardly been a fortnight since we last spoke. Have you missed me?” she sidetracked, a glib amusement in her voice.

The yellow eyes rolled as the massive, wildly furred creature stepped forward. “As though the wide forests haven’t been abuzz with recent events, speaks this little pony. As though she hasn’t decided to directly intervene,” he replied sternly. “This is not our way. I would know why you choose to interfere in the affairs of the Sun and Moon.”

With mock melodrama, Lyra rose a hoof in protest. “Interfere? I would never!”

The pair stared at one another blankly, before breaking out into a mutual laugh: one high and sweet, the other low and resonant. The Wolf curled his tail and sat, still towering head and shoulders above the green Unicorn. He flicked an ear and spoke again, “I do indeed bring news this night. As you know, there are more players in this little intrigue. And this one,” he pointed his muzzle at a slumbering and oblivious Twilight Sparkle, “has been playing seriously. She left some fairly clever dissuasive arguments to pursuit scattered along her back-trail.”

This gave Lyra pause, her eyes half-lidded as the light touch of amused banter faded from her voice. "Is that the never-ending Lycanth understatement I hear speaking? Just how ‘clever’ are we talking about here?" she asked, her concern genuine.

The Wolf stared at her levelly for a moment before barking out a single word. "Lethal."

Lyra touched a hoof to her chin in contemplation. "Perhaps, old friend, you should keep an eye on those that follow. I rather doubt any party invested in this would care to see the players irrevocably damaged. That is, of course, if it is your will to do so." She had known this Wolf a long time, and knew well that his kind were not well-pleased by demands.

The Wolf nodded amiably enough. "It was, and is. I don't care to get too heavily involved, so I'll leave them in your care, provided they're not already dead, hmm?"

"Of course, of course. Keep your claws as clean as you like, old friend, though I know you and your Packs are as interested in this as I am, or you would not be here. This is no petty political intrigue...” Lyra chuckled, waving a hoof. “This is the great game of our age, is it not?"

The Wolf grinned, long fangs glinting as he huffed, “Heh. I suppose this is what we get for shepherding a Pony into the depths of the Night. You begin to speak like one of the Pack, little Lyra.”

He rose, padding silently towards the wall of fog. “Expect to receive them before the dawn. I make no promises as to their condition,” he tossed back over his shoulder before disappearing into the darkness.


Chapter 5 - “Bereavement”

Chapter 7 - “Ambiguity”