• Published 21st Nov 2014
  • 1,544 Views, 26 Comments

The Republic - Mediocre Morsov



Apple Bloom and Princess Luna discover a new political philosophy that picks their spirits up. Little do they realize how much it's going to change everything.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,544

Chapter 6

"What utter, loathesome garbage!" Filthy Rich ranted as he paced before the two fillies before him, "I can not believe anypony would read - much less, write - such a ludicrous idea!"

"But," the grey filly, one Silver Spoon, spoke up, "isn't it like what we're taught in school? Harmony, equality and all of that?"

"I still can't believe my tax bits go to teaching that." Filthy muttered under his breath before turning on his captive audience, "When my father, Stinking Rich, started his first store in Ponyville, we didn't become successful because of harmony, or peace, or love, or any of that nonsense." he leaned in and smirked, "We did it by being cunning."

"Cunning?" the pink filly, Filthy's daughter Diamond Tiara asked, "What do you mean, dad?"

"We undermined all the local business with our bargains - bargains we could afford through outsourcing labor to Marexico and other neat tricks - then we used our funds to gain a stranglehold on Ponyville." Filthy explained. Silver Spoon quirked an eyebrow, not understanding most of what he said, but Diamond Tiara gave a wicked smirk, understanding the ruthlessness of her old man quite well. "Our family owns the banks, the largest and most profitable store and a chain of smaller 'competitor' stores."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Rich, but what's this have to do with Apple Bloom's book?" Silver Spoon asked.

Filthy Rich regarded the grey filly with an unreadable gaze before he turned his attention out the one window in his office. He spoke slow and evenly, as if reliving a long distant memory. "The events that Apple Bloom talked about in her report, this... Reign of Terror. It happened."

Both fillies gasped in surprise. Even Cheerilee hadn't known about it, yet here was Filthy Rich - Diamond Tiara's own father - and he knew. He continued.

"So many centuries ago, long before Ponyville was founded or even mapped, Equestria was a utopia of sorts - utterly flawless, if the rumors are true. Harmony had been established between unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies, Discord had been defeated, and everypony lived happily under the rule of the Princesses. Then the Nightmare Moon incident happened, and everything changed.

"Many viewed Celestia's banishment of her own sister as cruel and unnecessary - they even said it was a grab for power that would see Celestia as the single, unopposed ruler of Equestria. Maybe that was the truth - maybe Celestia had been selfish for a time back then and changed; who can tell now? Ponies decided that they didn't like the idea of one pony, even if it was an immortal alicorn that raised the heavens, to be dictator for life, so they began coming up with their own governments and seceding. They ranged from petty thugs who ran bands of raiders, to organized thinkers and their idiotic new ideology-"

"Republic..." Diamond Tiara said softly.

"Exactly right, my dear." Filthy smiled at her before continuing, "They wanted to establish a government of the ponies, by the ponies, based on Equites' idea. They struggled, but eventual, under Star Spangled's guidance, they succeeded. They were hypocrites, only allowing unicorns the right to vote - Star Spangled was a unicorn and believed that only those with the capacity to turn day to night knew anything about governing, you see - but ponies had more say in their government than before. They seceded from Equestria and Celestia struck back at them in a brief, but brutal war."

"War?" both fillies asked, the word unfamiliar to them in this dark, true sense.

"It's like a fight, but more violent, longer, and ponies died as a result." Filthy explained briefly; both fillies blanched. "My ancestors made quite a profit supplying both sides with lances, arrows and all manner of weapons. Star Spangled spent his last days in a prison cell.

"There were quite a few attempts of secession and rebellion over the years, one ending in the execution of several nobles in the fancier part of Canterlot by guillotine." Filthy actually shuddered at the thought, "I hear that that was an especially nasty way to die. Finally, there was an older mare named Scarlet Banner that told earth ponies and pegasi to unite against unicorns, which she pointed out as being elitists and favorites of Celestia - both statements were true, too."

"We were talking about unicorns after Apple Bloom's report." Diamond said, "Like, what do they do? Earth ponies farm and pegasi manage the weather, but if the Princesses took over raising the sun and the moon, what do unicorns do?"

"Nothing specifically." Filthy laughed, "They're like everypony else - allowed to pursue their own careers and hobbies. If they wanted to farm, they could. But Scarlet Banner was convinced that they were favored by Celestia, and in truth - as magic users - they were. With the number of discontent ponies at her back, she succeeded in leading and inspiring a number of secessions, revolts and wars against Equestria in a union of republics, but all the republics were corrupted and turned into dictatorships eventually."

"How?" Silver asked, "Apple Bloom said Scarlet Banner's works were inspiring and talked about unity and equality."

"Some ponies like to say that they're all equals, but then treat some better than others." Filthy laughed, enjoying his tutoring session, "Pink Pots, the Mare of Steel and Crimson Sun are three of Scarlet Banner's students who took advantage of the faith of the ponies who followed her ideals, then took control of the chaotic aftermath of their revolts, enslaving everypony there. Scarlet Banner died, horrified at what she had unleashed. Eventually, Celestia's Reign of Terror became a liberation of all the oppressed ponies who had lived under the dictatorships. Celestia took back all her own harsh laws and began preaching about harmony and love, and well, you girls know the rest."

"That's amazing." Silver said, genuinely impressed with the history she had learned, "But how come you know about this when nopony else does?"

"Because our ancestors were smart. They kept records and taught every one of us down the line about those dark times." Filthy explained with a grin, "Why, if it wasn't for Scarlet Banner, our family might have been poor forever!"

"Why do you say that?" Diamond asked, not liking the idea of being poor.

"For a long time, only unicorns were in the upper class of Equestria. Even today, Canterlot is mostly made up of unicorns." Filthy explained, "But when Scarlet Banner's followers split everything up, earth ponies and pegasi found their place in the elite while pushing unicorns to the bottom. When Celestia took back control, everything had leveled out, but our family had become established well enough that my father was soon able to start his business."

"Why are you telling us this?" Diamond asked, wondering if there was a test in this. Her father liked to test her business sense, sometimes.

"Because I fear with the reemergence of Equites' lost work, we might be in for some turmoil that even Discord would tip his hat to." Filthy laughed, "And business booms in turmoil, if you know how to spin it right. All we have to do is back the right horse."

"What do you mean by that?" Silver asked, raising her glasses back into place as they slid down her snout.

"If there's another secession, we can make a lot of money working with them, or we can be destroyed as they revolt. Businesses always boom or bust during revolts." Filthy said, pacing before the fillies again, "Now, do you think this new ideal will go anywhere?"

"I think it'll go pretty far, Mr. Rich." Silver smiled. In all honesty, she kind of hoped it would go far - she liked the idea of ponies having a say in government, and she thought that it could be good for business, too. She couldn't help but voice her support of it, either. "In fact, I think it might actually work this time."

"Silv, didn't you hear daddy?" Diamond snorted, "Republics don't last."

"I know, but..." Silver inhaled sharply, searching for the words, "Star Spangled only supported unicorns, and Scarlet Banner and her students only supported earth ponies and pegasi. Apple Bloom supports all three of them. Maybe it could work if all three are working together? After all, the three tribes uniting is what defeated the windegos."

"And maybe it will." Filthy interjected, "All the more reason we need to be ready to get our hoof in the door and get in business, either with these future republicans or against them."

"Why not both?" Diamond suggested.

"That's my girl!" Filthy laughed.
*-*

"What have you done, sister?" Celestia asked with grave seriousness. Luna eyed her with a mix of anxiety and forced innocence; she knew precisely what she was referring to. It had been weeks since Apple Bloom's report had revealed the long lost history Celestia had strived to bury, but nothing else had happened. All seemed calm.

"Have I done something wrong?" Luna asked.

"You have shared forbidden works with young minds in Ponyville!" Celestia was outraged, "A youth's mind is fertile and can easily take to any dreamy idea that is put into it! These fillies might very well have taken a liking to these ideas!"

"And what would be wrong with that, sister?" Luna stood taller, putting on a challenging face. She hadn't stood up to her sister ever since the Nightmare Moon incident, "Are you afraid of what ponies would think of your lapse in judgement all those years ago? Or are you afraid of the power ponies wield when they unite?"

"I am not afraid of my subjects." Celestia's answer was cool and controlled; she had been confronted with the accusation many times in the past, and she was absolutely certain that she was not afraid of Equestria's populace. "I only fear what disinformation and dissent could spread in the wake of ponies who think they are doing the right thing."

The barb was obvious to Luna, and she frowned in response to it.

"I am doing the right thing, sister." she said, "Or are you saying hiding information from the public is good? You seem to do a lot of that, if history books and newspapers are anything to go by."

"Don't believe the writings of those ancient detractors!" Celestia scoffed, "They saw me as an evil, coniving ruler - a despot only to be demonized!"

"I'm referring to more recent events, my dear sister." Luna smirked at the surprised look on her sister's face, "You let everypony believe I was nothing but an old mare's tale for nearly a millenium. You let ponies think Discord and other ancient evils were just myths and superstitions. You let everypony live, unaware of dangers."

"That was for their protection." Celestia stated, standing at her full height and towering over Luna, "I was afraid they would overreact and panic."

"You were afraid everypony would erupt into anarchy!" Luna snapped, "You've always been afraid, ever since those ancient days when ponies dared to secede and rebel against you, you've been afraid to let them know things that they had a right to know! You would prefer them living in the dark, because if they rebelled or panicked or rioted it would disrupt your perfect little world, and you can't stand having things that aren't in your control!"

Celestia took a step back, visibly shaken by Luna's challenge. Luna saw this and her face flushed in shame.

"Forgive my outburst, sister." she said quietly, "I... I was not thinking."

"It is quite alright." Celestia finally said, though she was still quite shocked, "Please go to Ponyville and make sure this situation doesn't blow out of control. I'm quite alright with what has been shared amongst them, but no more."

"It will be done this evening." Luna bowed her head slightly in deference and Celestia warmed a little.

"I look forward to hearing about it tomorrow, then." she forced a smile, "Good evening, Lulu."

"Good evening Celestia." Luna gave her own awkward smile and the two parted ways.

Luna raised the stars and moon and immediately headed towards Ponyville before it got too late.
*-*

Apple Bloom watched the stars and sighed. Things had been going so well until all of her friends had begun to argue all those weeks ago; even all the work she had done since then, all the new stuff she had learned, could not mend what had been severed that day. Applejack was on her side on the matter - Celestia had held important information back from everypony for too long, had a stranglehold on the governing politics of Equestria and was just as prone to corruption as Luna if the Reign of Terror was any indicator.

Still, even with her sister's support, everything else had fallen apart. Big Macintosh in particular was indifferent on the matter - he agreed that ponies should have a say in government, but also felt that even with Celestia's supposed aggresive actions in the past, she was a capable leader. Granny Smith was too confused by the political jargon and simply gave up on trying to understand the whole mess.

But among her closest friends, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, there had been a terrible division. Sweetie mistakingly thought Rarity was in favor of the idea of a democratic republic, but Rarity crushed those dreams; all of her excitement and support that evening had been for Sweetie's performance, Apple Bloom's flag and all the dress possibilities and ideas she had dreamt up. After that revelation, the unicorn sisters got into a heated argument before both stubbornly went their own separate ways.

"Republic? Oh heavens, no! How dreadful it would be if any street rabble had a say in how Equestria is run. I'm quite fine with Celestia running the place, thank you."

Where Sweetie Belle had rebelled, Scootaloo simply caved. Rainbow Dash was outraged with the idea of a democratic republic if it meant there was even a chance Celestia wouldn't be elected as leader - though in all honesty, it was very likely that Celestia would be elected everytime. Who else could run Equestria? - and if Rainbow Dash didn't like it, neither did Scootaloo. Apple Bloom knew her flightless friend really did agree with the ideals she had discovered, but she could not disappoint her surrogate sister lest Rainbow abandon her - they had no biological ties to keep them connected, and this political schism was a good way to lose that sisterly bond. Apple Bloom regretted Scootaloo's decision, but could not blame her.

"You just don't understand. Rainbow Dash is the coolest, the most amazing pony in all of Equestria! She decided to take me under her wing and teach me everything she knows. She's like the sister I've always dreamed of. I can't go against her on something she has such strong feelings about."

Apple Bloom groaned and trotted back towards her house. She was startled to bump into - quite literally - Princess Luna. Her mood immediately brightened at the sight of her friend.

"Luna!" she cried, delighted.

"Hello my dear Apple Bloom." Luna said, and Apple Bloom could detect a sadness and reluctance in her tone and eyes. She had known her long enough to detect such small details. "I'm afraid I'm not here for one of our study sessions."

"Ah could guess that since Ah wasn't asleep." Apple Bloom nodded understandingly, "Celestia found out about ya teachin' me?"

"More or less." Luna couldn't help the ghost of a smile tugging at her lips; Apple Bloom was incredibly perceptive for her age.

"An' now yer in trouble." the yellow filly deflated slightly. Her tutor was in trouble because she had to go public with what she learned!

"Not really." Luna quickly corrected, "My sister is alright with what information has been revealed, but she doesn't want this spreading out of control. She fears everypony will establish their own republic and secede." she laughed, but even Apple Bloom could tell it was more than a little forced.

"Maybe we ought to." she challenged.

"Don't joke like that." the princess warned.

"Ah'm serious. Everypony's been lied ta all these years, an' nopony dares challenge Celestia about it. She's elevated herself ta the status a' a goddess instead a' a princess."

"Perhaps I have taught you too much..." Luna thought, but she did find truth in Apple Bloom's sentiment, "Still, I only ask that you don't stir things up anymore. Most everypony is happy with Celestia's reign. I highly doubt anypony would agree to electing a new one."

"That's where ya'd be wrong, Luna." Apple Bloom smiled. Luna frowned, suddenly worried. "Applejack's been writin' all a' our family across Equestria about this new idea, an' most a' them agree it's a great idea. They're also not too keen on Celestia's lyin'. So they spread the word an' near everypony west a' Ponyville is just excited ta have an election!"

"That's a lot of ponies." Luna gulped.

In truth, Ponyville was one of the larger cities west of Canterlot and one of its nearer territories - nearly all the western territories were small towns, roughly the size of Appleoosa, until one reached the cities along the coast which rivalled or exceeded Canterlot in population, but they more than likely approved of Celestia's rule and liked the additional order of her pervading reign that kept the usual hectic nature of a city from exploding in crime and anarchy.

"Yep! We've been organizin' a vote ta take place tamorrow, an' we have several candidates." Apple Bloom said, "Ah hope ya don't mind, but Ah put ya on the ballot an' told everypony that ya were the one who introduced me ta the idea."

"That's..." Luna couldn't even find the words and trailed off, speechless.

"If ya want, Ah can talk them inta havin' it tanight." Apple Bloom grinned, "Ever since they found out ya were the who discovered all a' this an' shared it with us, a lot a' us have been sleepin' durin' the day so we could stay up an' enjoy yer night."

Luna put a hoof to her mouth, forgetting about the political crisis that was unfurling. She was genuinely touched by the gesture Apple Bloom and her following were performing; she had feared that, aside from her personal Royal Guards, nopony cared for her night and all the work she put into it. Luna was once again reminded of the banner Apple Bloom had made for her and how dedicated she was to her. So this is what it felt like to be treated like a ruler, a leader of ponies worthy of leadership. She felt a quick pang of jealousy towards her sister, unfelt since her banishment, but it disappeared. This was the recognition she had waited for.

"I would like that very much." she said at last, "But first, I would like to talk to them, if I can."

"A' course ya can!" Apple Bloom led the way into the barn where a series of strange contraptions stood, inscribed with ancient runes Luna barely recognized. "Here we are!"

"I assumed your voters were nearby." Luna said, surprised, "What are these machines?"

"They're what Ah've been usin' ta communicate with everypony that's too far away." Apple Bloom explained, "Spike saw Ah was havin' trouble talkin' to so many ponies over such a long distance, so he showed me these old books about usin' magic cameras ta communicate one-way over long distances to a lotta ponies at once."

"You did all of that and had them delivered in the span of a few weeks?" to say Luna's tone was incredulous would have been an understatement.

"Well, Applejack an' a few other handy ponies from around town helped me out, Spike included. It actually wasn't too hard, either - the book had schematics."

"Fascinating."

"So ya ready to broadcast?" Apple Bloom asked, getting behind her homemade camera.

"What will I say?" Luna asked.

"Just about anythin' will work, Ah guess." Apple Bloom said, turning on all the systems, "Just tell me when yer ready an' all start transmittin'."

"Alright." Luna said. She thought it over and was surprised she had no idea what to say - public speaking had never been her strong suit. Even when she was a regular noble, equal with her sister, there had never really been an audience for her to speak to. Besides her little fiasco at Nightmare Night, she had no experience of talking to her subjects. Still, somehow the words boiled up in chest and she nodded to Apple Bloom, a signal to begin rolling.

"My fellow Equestrians," she began, "We have lived for centuries beneath Celestia's watchful gaze, cared for under her rule. Yet she has deeply betrayed us - all of us. She has withheld valuable information from us all, because she does not trust us. She believes all of you - everypony in Equestria - will overthrow her monopoly on the governing of Equestria. She does not trust you to make the right decisions - her decisions."

A pause as Luna considered her next words.
"I will not do these things." she stated, genuine and crisp, "I will gladly defer to the judgement everypony comes to and offer assistance only when asked, because I believe in the ideals of a democratic republic. I believe everypony, regardless of class or race should have a say in the run of the Equestrian ponies. I believe in you, my kinsmen, my ponies!"

She let that stand in its finality and Apple Bloom cut the feed, watching a set of smaller monitors to gauge everypony's reactions. There were cheers, applause, hollering whoops, and only a few confused or worried glances from townsponies and relatives who still disagreed with the idea of a Republic. Apple Bloom went to a switch and pressed it.

"Let the votin' begin!" she shouted, her voice enhanced by magic to transmit over speakers across Ponyville and western Equestria. The monitors cleared, everypony heading off to their local, hastily erected ballots. Even with Twilight's reluctance to be involved in the growing democracy fad, she had obliged to enchant the ballot boxes so that every slip that went in was transported to a large container in the Apple's barn. Twilight also helped a lot with the cameras, but that was more out of fascination for the long forgotten instruments than helping her friends.

Luna watched as the container filled quickly with scraps of paper and then overflowed. Her eyes widened. Exactly how many ponies were staying up at night just to participate in these elections? She watched the scraps flow over the rim of the container and couldn't help but see her name scribbled on every one of them, in thousands of ponies' hoofwriting. She was at once touched and overwhelmed. Luna knew she was becoming popular, especially among the supporters of a democratic republic, but this was simply breathtaking.

Before long, the polls were closed and Apple Bloom began sorting through the ballots - on camera just to demonstrate there were no tricks. It was several hours going, and even with all her excitement, Luna was growing bored. Then the young filly spoke up and caught her attention.

"In a landslide victory, Princess Luna has been nominated leader a' the new republic!" Apple Bloom cheered and those cheers were echoed across town and Equestria, and were met with monstrous amounts of cheers from the return feed. She raced over to Luna's side and beamed up at her. "Isn't that great?"

"It's wonderful, but I can't accept." Luna declined with some reluctance, "This all seems rushed. Where would we even begin?"

"Well, we'll help ya." Apple Bloom said, "Why, it wouldn't be much a' government fer ponies by ponies if we relied on ya fer everythin', would it?"

"That's true..." Luna agreed. She was reminded of her sister's entourage of assistants and advisors. A kingdom didn't just run itself, even to a godlike alicorn. "We need to establish a body of representatives from each town and territory that wants to participate, of course..."

"Already done." Apple Bloom winked, "Ah haven't been readin' all those books fer mah health, ya know. We've had those elections all across the board, but only the towns in an' around the heartlands want ta join in. Big cities on the coasts hate the idea, an' Ponyville is split plum down the middle!"

"You have much initiative for one so young, my dear." Luna could not contain the pride she held for her pupil, "I suppose I should make my acceptance speech?"

"An' then ya have ta be sworn inta office." Apple Bloom explained. When given a curious look, she went further, "We also all drew up a charter an' what not. Ate up a lotta time after the cameras were in place, but we finally got a rough set a laws, a rudimentary government in place, a body a' representatives an', most importantly, our new leader!"

"All in the span of a few weeks?" the princess laughed, "I'm absolutely tickled! If anyone told me this would be happening just last month, I'd say it sounds like a silly work of some deluded scribe! Still, this is no small feat for one so young. Apple Bloom, you simply must be my assistant."

"It would be mah honor, Madame- uh." the filly blanked, "Ah don't know which title ta use. There were so many."

"How about Premier?" Luna suggested, "It was the most common one, I believe."

"Alright then, Madame Premier Luna!" Apple Bloom beamed, "Make yer acceptance speech! Yer ponies await!"

Luna turned to the camera and watched as her reflection put on its most charismatic smile. The cheers from the monitors hushed, silenced in anticipation as they realized she was about to speak once more. Luna cleared her throat, so quietly and with such grace that the gesture seemed entirely different from what it ought to be. She opened her dazzling eyes which had been closed as she concentrated on her inner muse, looking for the words she knew would enrapture her subjects. Having found them, with sapphire eyes blazing, she spoke them in her crisp and educated, yet kind and caring tone.

"My fellow Equestrians!" she began.

Author's Note:

I kind of wrote myself into a corner and had to start making more stuff up. So... magic cameras. Why not? Apple Bloom can coordinate a revolutionary government, while we're at it. She's a wizard at logistics. These are facts that I have made up for the purpose of this fic.