• Published 21st Nov 2014
  • 1,544 Views, 26 Comments

The Republic - Mediocre Morsov



Apple Bloom and Princess Luna discover a new political philosophy that picks their spirits up. Little do they realize how much it's going to change everything.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,544

The Book Reading

Princess Twilight Sparkle was very intelligent, even for a Canterlot student. She could detect patterns a mile away, and there was definately one forming Ponyville. It wasn't as if she wasn't used to random patterns of activity amongst the ponies of Ponyville - such events tended to lead to many of her and her friends' adventures, after all - but there was something a little unnerving about this particular pattern. Perhaps it was because ponies were actually visiting the library, for once.

"Hey Twilight!" a young colt that she immediately recognized as Snails greeted, his shorter friend not far behind.

"We were wondering if you had a book here." Snips said.

"I have plenty of books here, you two." Twilight gave a little chuckle at her joke and both the colts laughed a little, too, "Which one were you looking for?"

"Republic!" both colts exclaimed at once.

Twilight looked up from her shelving, trying hard not to look as dumbfounded as she felt. "You too?" she asked, "I swear, everypony in town seems to be coming in here, asking for that book, and I've never even heard of it. Is this some Foal's Day prank that Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie orchestrated?"

"Uh..." Snails tilted his head, unsure how to answer, "We're just looking because Apple Bloom mentioned it in class, is all."

"She also said something about The Mighty Town?" Snips couldn't recall the title, "Or was it The Cityscape?"

"I think it was Town so Bright." Snails suggested.

"You mean The City of Light?" Twilight asked, frowning, "Apple Bloom did check that book out along with a few other history books, but it was quickly checked out by Cheerilee after she returned it."

"Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for the meeting later." Snips sighed.

"What meeting?" Twilight asked, "Is Mayor Mare hosting a town meeting later today?"

"Nope." Snails shook his head, "Apple Bloom is hosting a book reading at the Cutie Mark Crusader clubhouse, and all the students were invited."

"We were even told to invite as many ponies as we wanted." Snips grinned, "Apple Bloom's family is going to be there, and Sweetie Belle's bringing her sister. Scootaloo even talked Rainbow Dash into going."

"So you know there's going to be a lot more ponies showing up." Snails laughed.

"Wow, that already sounds like quite a turn-out for a book reading." Twilight smiled, excited at the prospect of Ponyville's citizenry actually taking an interest in literature. "Did Apple Bloom write this... what did you call it? Republic?"

"She didn't write it." Snails shook his head, "Some old famous pony named E-quiet or something did."

"Equites?" Twilight gawked, "I don't remember reading anything even mentioning Equites writing something called Republic, and I've read all his works!"

"Apple Bloom says there's a section of the Canterlot Royal Library that they keep a lot of books hidden in." Snips explained, "Celestia was afraid ponies would rise up against her if we read them, or something."

"I'm not even going to begin pointing out how many things are wrong with that theory." Twilight deadpanned, walking past the two colts, "I'll stop by this meeting and see what all the excitement's about, though."

"You won't regret it!" Snips said as the two left the library.

The purple alicorn watched the younger ponies disappear into the town, dealing with her growing disquiet. The rumors that were floating around about Celestia these days were absolutely ludicrous! She would have to talk to Cheerilee about educating the children about how good and noble Celestia was before the rumors grew out of hoof. Another thing was Apple Bloom's sudden interest in politics. Her ideas seemed... frankly, what little bits Twilight had picked up from the visitor's to the library didn't make any sense, but all of them agreed that her history presentation had been amazing and that they couldn't wait to hear this book that had inspired such an awesome report.

Twilight tried to think back to her brief study of early, post-Nightmare Moon Equestrian history, but couldn't find much in her memories about it. She tried to think back to The City of Light to try and conceive of how Apple Bloom could have turned that into a history report, but she had only read it once so long ago, and the history of forgotten political science had been an unnecessary thing to look into, what with the study of magic and various empiracal sciences happening.

Twilight grimaced at this blind spot in her vast knowledge and resolved to fix it, even if she had to track down the alleged "hidden books" in the Canterlot Royal Library and read them all herself to do so.
*-*

"So are we trying to get our cutie marks in narration, now?" Scootaloo asked as she helped her friends set up a podium in the clubhouse. The flag Apple Bloom had made was pinned up behind the podium, creating a backdrop for whoever would be speaking.

"This is more important than cutie marks, girls." Apple Bloom said, holding an assortment of papers with small, neat hoofwriting that were well-bound in an improvised binding. Since Luna could not bring Republic to her, Apple Bloom had committed entire chapters to memory and written them down upon waking until she had the entire book together, then organized them with her usual skill in construction.

Her friends gasped in shock at what she had said, but Apple Bloom felt the gesture was a little exaggerated and certainly uncalled for.

"Just trust me." she said, placing the makeshift book onto the podium, "Y'all will understand when ya hear the reading. In fact, let's do a practice readin'!"

"Like a rehearsal?" Sweetie Belle asked, "Why?"

"Well, Ah'm not too good at readin' in front a' crowds." Apple Bloom laughed nervously, "That report Ah gave earlier? Complete fluke."

"So you want Sweetie Belle to read it?" Scootaloo suggested.

"She never said that!" the unicorn was taken aback.

"She didn't have to." Scootaloo smirked, "Even though my voice is pretty awesome, you've got the best voice among us."

"It's the simple truth." Apple Bloom agreed.

"Oh, but I don't want to read this boring old book." Sweetie whined.

"It's not borin'!" Apple Bloom was offended, but then thought it over, "Alright, so it is pretty borin', but it's also really inspirational."

"I don't know..." the unicorn continued, but Apple Bloom could see her friend's reluctance eroding. She decided to press with her ultimate tactic: puppy-dog eyes and pleading.

"Please?" the earth pony begged, kneeling before her friend and hugging her hooves.

"Alright, fine." Sweetie caved with annoyance, "Let's do this practice read."

Apple Bloom shot up, positively beaming. She pushed Sweetie into position behind the podium and took a seat before her, Scootaloo at her side. Sweetie eyed the manuscript in front of her, taking a moment to admire Apple Bloom's craftsmanship; even though it was a hastily made, improvised copy of literature, it was very well put together. Sweetie sighed in one last act of defiance before clearing her throat and opening to the first page.

"Chapter one..." she read aloud.
*-*

"I can't believe I got talked into coming to a book reading!" Rainbow Dash groaned loudly, irritating a few of the ponies that had already gathered in the clubhouse. Having arrived later than most everypony else, she hovered above the crowded pack of assorted townsponies.

"Relax, Rainbow." Applejack laughed, "It means a lot ta the fillies that yer here, even if ya are bored outta yer mind. It means a lot ta Scootaloo, fer sure."

"I know, I know." Rainbow Dash sighed, "Why didn't anyone tell me that being a big sister was so boring sometimes?"

"Boring isn't even the half of it, dear." Rarity chuckled, "Why, Sweetie Belle is almost constantly trying to get me involved in outdoor activities." she shuddered, "So much dirt everywhere. It just ruins my flawless white coat."

"I hope this book is good!" Pinkie Pie seemingly appeared from nowhere. She had enthusiastically volunteered to cater the book reading and the after party, even though nopony had mentioned an after party. Being Pinkie Pie, however, there was no surprise that there would be as many parties as they could fit in. "Of course, if it's not, I'll just have to throw a super-duper-sorry-your-book-reading-didn't-go-well party!"

"Seems like most a' us are here." Applejack smiled, "Any idea if Fluttershy or Twilight are comin'?"

"Huh." Rainbow Dash frowned, "I could have sworn Fluttershy was right behind me. I made her come along with me because I was afraid I'd fall asleep if I got too bored."

"Then we'd never be able to hear the book reading over her snoring." Rarity whispered to Applejack and the two shared a moment of snickering.

"What was that?" Rainbow Dash glared at her friends who quickly feigned innocence.

"Oh, I said-" Rarity began before pointing near the entrance of the clubhouse, "Isn't that Fluttershy over there?"

Rainbow Dash turned around and, sure enough, Fluttershy was still at the entrance of the clubhouse, making meek attempts to get through the press of ponies to find a seat. Even though the small building was far from packed, the spaces between ponies was closer than Fluttershy was comfortable crossing.

"Pardon me..." she muttered weakly, unheard by the pony she was trying to bypass. She tried another angle. "Could I get through? If that's alright with you, of course..." but yet again, they didn't hear her.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and flew to Fluttershy, hoisting her over the crowd and to the place where she and her friends had chosen to sit. After placing her down, the yellow pegasus smiled at the good company around her.

"Oh my, thank you Rainbow Dash." she said softly, "It's awfully full in here, isn't it?"

"From what I heard, Apple Bloom really made an impression with her history report at school." Rarity smiled, "All the schoolponies couldn't stop talking about it, and they just couldn't wait to hear the book that inspired her."

"Ah'm so proud a' her." Applejack wiped a tear from her cheek, "Ah wouldn't be surprised if she gets her cutie mark in public speakin'."

"Hey, aren't those the girls that pick on Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?" Pinkie asked, pointing to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, two of the few schoolponies whose parents weren't present - more than likely, they were too busy running their businesses to go to a book reading by fillies.

"Yep." Applejack grinned, "Even those two were moved by Apple Bloom's report. Powerful writin', it was."

"You've read it, then?" Rarity asked, "Oh, do tell! I heard so many things about it, from it being scathing to chilling! How was it?"

"Ah, uh..." Applejack stifled a nervous laugh, "Ah didn't actually read it, but Ah heard that everypony really liked it."

"You didn't even read it?" Rainbow Dash asked, face cracking in a wry grin.

"So you didn't hear about all the stuff she wrote about Celestia being a dictator and how she censored this book Apple Bloom's about to read?" Pinkie asked, startling the other four mares.

"Say what, now?" Applejack asked, nearly all emotion bled from her voice by the sudden concern Pinkie had raised. Before anyone could react further, Twilight managed to get beside them.

"Hello girls." she greeted.

"Hey Twilight!" the five friends replied in tandum.

"What was that ya were sayin' about-" Applejack began, but Pinkie cut her off.

"Shh!" she hushed, "It's starting!"

The lights in the clubhouse dimmed and Applejack briefly wondered when Apple Bloom had gotten around to installing dimmer switches, or how she had even learned how to do such a thing. For that matter, where was the power for the lights coming from? She quit the line of thinking as the banner behind the podium lit up, the deep blue illuminated by the blazing silver emblem imprinted upon it. Applejack felt a wave of emotion at the sight, which startled her. Then Sweetie Belle took to the podium, smiling sweetly, with an excited Apple Bloom and Scootaloo flanking the stand.

"Oh goody!" Rarity whispered, "Sweetie's reading this time."

"Mares and gentlecolts, unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies of all ages, thank you." Sweetie began, "Before we begin, I would just like to thank my friend Apple Bloom for introducing me to this wonderful book. At first, I thought reading an old book about philosophy would be boring,"

"So did I." Rainbow Dash sniggered before being shushed by her friends.

"Then I began reading it. At first, it was confusing, but the more I read, the more it made sense, and now I just can't wait to share it with all of you!" Sweetie beamed, "So, without further adieu, we present to you the great Equites' long lost Republic!"

The clubhouse fell to a hush and even Rainbow Dash caught herself leaning forward, intrigued by what could have three little fillies so intensely worked up that they would put together a presentation to share it. It almost even reminded her about Daring Doo's famous exploits hunting for lost treasure. Of course, while she personally didn't think of an old book as treasure, she was certain Twilight would appreciate the comparison. Sweetie cleared her throat and snapped the cyan mare from her thoughts.

"Chapter one..." the white filly began in earnest.