• Published 3rd Dec 2014
  • 1,202 Views, 0 Comments

JAGFest 2014: Equestrian Masquerade - RockStarMLP



Friends of other worlds travel the land with a self-titled festival to share with everypony

  • ...
 0
 1,202

Day #4 - Vanhoover

With Manehattan’s JAGFest officially over, the Team JAG Band boarded their train and traveled to the next stop of the ongoing festival. It was a long train ride this time, their journey taking them from one end of Equestria to the other with two stops along the way for supplies, but it was a relaxing and enjoyable trip as well. With an entire train to do as they wished, everyone from Team JAG, Team Sonic, and Ponyville spent their time together with numerous conversations, some musical practice, seeing the sights that the train was passing, and overall calming with no issues whatsoever.

That is, of course, you weren’t caught in a intellectual lecture from Twilight regarding politics and magical sciences. Nyx, Tails, Cosmo and others may have had a good understanding of what she was talking about, but others would have preferred seeing what the band had called a ‘video recording’ of one of their anniversary shows on Mobius.

Fortunately, the Cutie Mark Crusaders began to ask their older sisters about what Vanhoover was like, and the older mares could not give an answer. Even Twilight and Nyx, the two smartest alicorns anypony could ever know, had nothing to say. It became clear that none of the band’s Equestrian friends had ever visited the city before, the closest being Rainbow Dash when she flew around Equestria during Nyx’s surrender as Nightmare Moon and only got as close as the Galloping Gorge. Otherwise, this was truly going to be a treat, where it would be the first time all of the train’s passengers would be visiting a destination in the Equestrian Masquerade. It would be new sights and new ponies to meet for all of them, but there was still one lingering thought in all of their minds…

Without any knowledge of the town, visiting Vanhoover will be an interesting time.

/)∞(\

Vanhoover was a wonderful city!

JAGFest in Vanhoover was another success for the group’s mission, and very fun all around. The city itself had an atmosphere that met in the middle between a rural area like Ponyville, and a modern metropolis like Manehattan. The moment the festival began, there seemed to be no rest to take place until the main event, and that was a nothing short of desiring for Princess Twilight and Team JAG.

The entire group was given accommodations at a bed and breakfast owned by a business-savvy married couple, who owned the only place that had a secluded house for royalty only on the property. Twilight didn’t enjoy having such ‘advantages’ as the Princess of Friendship, but she couldn’t deny a pony’s offer of hospitality, especially after they came eye-to-eye with Nyx. The stallion owner of the business mentioned that he personally knew ponies that were Blessed into the Children of Nightmare sternly, but wore a smile and kindly thanked her for choosing to be a better pony than a vile monster. Although a lot wished he used better grammar, he did show his acceptance of Nyx by providing her and her friends the worst thing a mother or sister would want for a filly; an all-you-can-eat homemade dessert buffet.

As for the city itself, it was bustling and hustling with activities almost as much as the Crystal Empire, but it was well worth it for all the visitors. The entire group stuck together at first, only breaking off about a quarter at a time when ponies wanted to meet some of Equestria’s most notable citizens and their interdimensional friends. When Twilight led her group around, she spotted a familiar zebra at an herbal remedy stand, who was also the host of JAGFest that day; Zecora.

The day went on and on, and nothing but positivity and joy filled the air. All events went along smoothly, all attendees were enjoying themselves, and, as a more of a mixed-feeling event, everyone in the group was approached by ponies who wanted autographs of the visiting celebrities. Well, all but the little fillies that is, who didn’t really care either way, especially after they managed to cause the most epic photo-bomb possible when a photographer was trying to take a serious picture of the Master Four for the local paper, The Van-Herald. The photographer insisted on getting a better picture for the paper, but Ash insisted that the first one wouldn’t be bettered, for it was a funny example of what JAGFest can do to attendees that the band didn’t mind having shared.

However, it didn’t help from a few older sisters and a mother briefly scolding the fillies about how they acted.

/)∞(\

“Welcome, all, to our final event, where our visiting friends will surely attempt, and share with you a new invest for the adventures that take place at JAGFest.

“It’s not every day, I must admit, to see bipeds with a musical outfit. I have, however, come to truly know, what this band means, thanks to Tails and Cosmo. Many ponies here have had their chance, to meet and talk with these visitors before their metaphorical dance. I, myself, was intrigued enough to learn, that like the season of Hearth’s Warming, a strong fire burns.

“Like the Elements of Harmony and what they symbolize, this group of heroes act in ways you’ll recognize. Loyalty, laughter, generosity, honesty and kindness; the magic that ties them makes our pessimistic visions to blindness. And like the shield of Nyx, they serve to safely keep worlds intact, something I’ve seen proven, in fact.

“But for now, we are here as one, waiting on the climax from when JAGFest begun. Equestrian Masquerade is what they call their tour, but tonight it is us and them, and nopony more. Without any further wait, I present friends so grand; the talented, the great, the diverse…

“The Team JAG Band!”

With her introduction concluded, Zecora received cheer after cheer from the audience before her. She stood on the stage that faced the full capacity venue, the Vanhoover Hoofball Stadium, and took a bow before departing offstage. She had caught the mentioned band ending their huddle with a final encouragement from Tails.

“Alright guys, enough waiting for this to happen. Let’s make this happen! Let’s show this city what it means to be a part of the Team JAG family, give it all we got, and make this a night they’ll never forget. Vanhoover Victory in 1… 2… 3!”

“VANHOOVER VICTORY!”

The entire band, plus Cosmo and Nyx, broke open from their huddle and quickly got themselves prepared to take the stage. All that needed to happen was giving Phineas and Ferb the signal to dim the lights and get things started, but something else had to happen first. Tails made sure to thank Zecora personally, on behalf of the band, for hosting the day’s events, promising whatever herbal ingredients the zebra could use from Team JAG’s inventory. Then, the host, the Seedrian, and the alicorn filly had to be rushed over to where Princess Twilight and all the others sat amongst the audience, and that was a roped-off section on the grounds only several feet away from the front of the stage.

With the correct positioning of his hand and fingers, Tails used a little technique known as the Instant Transmission to take the trio to the private area. Following a quick good luck hug from Nyx and kiss from Cosmo, he raced back to the stage using the same technique. Having him returning was the signal the stage managers needed to get things going, and the moment he arrived, Ferb flipped four switches that put the stage into darkness, and the crowd starting to cheer in excitement. With the introduction done, the atmosphere set, and the introductory song being played on the speakers, the next show of the Equestrian Masquerade had started.

/)∞(\

PRINCESS LUNA! – William Anderson/audio introduction
MINE – Disturbed/Gohan/Kim on rhythm guitar, Tails on keyboard
INSPIRATION – Mushroomhead/Ash on Jeffrey Nothing vocals, Yugi on Waylon vocals/Jason on drums, Gohan on second drum set,Tails on lead guitar, Yumi on rhythm guitar, Ami on bass guitar, Kim on keyboard/synthesizer, Dan and Ron on custom percussion, Aelita on turntables/samples
CHAOS LIVES IN EVERYTHING – Korn/Yugi/Dan on rhythm guitar, Tails on keyboard/synthesizer, Aelita on turntables/programming/samples
THE CONSTANT – Anthrax/Ash/Tails and Ron on rhythm guitars

“HELLO, VANHOOVER! HOW ARE YOU ALL DOING TONIGHT?!” Yugi yelled out to the crowd, and received a loud, excited cheer in return. “It is my honor to welcome you all to your night of JAGFEST! Have you been having fun so far?!” The second replying cheer was just as strong as the first. “Now let’s get down to business: we have three parts of tonight’s set, and we’ll be trailblazing through as much as we can, and as long as you stay with us! Let’s get right back to it with a rock and roll classic…”

POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME – Def Leppard/Yugi/Ron on rhythm guitar
BULLY – Shinedown/Yugi/Tails on rhythm guitar/audio children’s choir
OCEANS – Evanescence/Yumi with Gohan lineup/Gohan on rhythm guitar, Tails on keyboard/synthesizer
HIDE – Creed/Jason/Tails on rhythm guitar
SHE SHINES – Linkin Park/Ash/Tails on lead guitar, Dan on backing vocals and keyboard, Yumi on bass guitar, Jason on turntables/samples
NARCISSISTIC CANNIBAL [KORN] – EarlyRise/Ami with Jason lineup/Jason on piano

“Are you having fun yet, Vanhoover?” Gohan asked the audience, who cheered and stomped in return. “So, regarding what my friend Yugi was saying earlier, we are currently performing, and about to play all the way through, the first part of our set. Now, for our JAGFests here in Equestria, we dedicate the first hour or so to performing songs that we had repeatedly rehearsed in the past, prior to some other shows we’ve played, some songs of which we actually never played live before. This next one, however, is very different to my last statement, because it’s a song we have played many times, and has become one of my personal favorites by this band that created it. By the band Five Finger Death Punch, this song is called…

“’Remember Everything.’”

REMEMBER EVERYTHING – Five Finger Death Punch/Gohan/Yumi on rhythm guitar
FINAL DESTINATION – Within Temptation/Ami with Yugi lineup/Yugi on rhythm guitar, Tails on keyboards
I AM HELL (SONATA IN C#) – Machine Head/Jason + rhythm guitar
JUST A BULLET AWAY – Metallica/Gohan + rhythm guitar
INSURRECTION – Lamb of God/Gohan/Yumi on rhythm guitar
PARALYZED – As I Lay Dying/Ash/Dan on rhythm guitar and clean vocals
WASTED YEARS [IRON MAIDEN] – DevilDriver/Jason/Yumi on rhythm guitar, Tails on co-lead guitar and solo

[ONE MINUTE INTERMISSION]

BIRTH – DEATH – 10 Years/only Tails on piano
…AND ALL THE OTHER COLORS – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar, Tails on piano
ACTIONS & MOTIVES – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar
THE WICKED ONES – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar
SEASONS TO CYCLE – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar, Ami on acoustic guitar, Aelita on symphonic keyboard

Dan stood at the center microphone stand on the stage and looked out onto the audience, and all the ponies that filled the venue. “Vanhoover,” he went on to say, “do you love to rock and roll?!” He allowed everypony to let out their answers of screaming cheers and stomping hooves before continuing to speak. “The rock and roll spirit is definitely here tonight, for we can feel it! We are currently in the second phase of our set, when we pay tribute to a band that has been heavily influential and important to us, but mostly to those who lead our own ways of representation; for me, that’s a band called 10 Years. They have been very supportive of what we do with their music, and we’re proud to share that with you tonight. Now, here is the title track of their newest record, and I hope you like it as much as I do…”

MINUS THE MACHINE – 10 years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar
WASTELAND – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar
SCREAM AT THE WALLS – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash and Kim on rhythm guitars
FIX ME – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar, Tails on piano
KNIVES – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar
CHASING THE RAPTURE – 10 Years/Dan with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar/outro jam

[ONE MISSION INTERMISSION]

COME DOWN – Sevendust/Yugi/Dan on acoustic guitar, Gohan on acoustic bass guitar
SHOW ME HOW TO LIVE – Audioslave/Jason
MORNING AFTER – Dead By Sunrise/Ash/Ami on rhythm guitar, Tails and Aelita on keyboards
MY DYING TIME – Black Label Society/Gohan + lead guitar
THE CHOSEN FEW – Kreator/Jason+ rhythm guitar
FEATHERS – Coheed & Cambria/Yugi + rhythm guitar/Ron on keyboard/synthesizer

“I think it’s time we have a little fun with some more friends of ours,” said Tails, standing at his microphone stand and wearing what looked to be a brand new guitar: a seven-string Stratocaster with a turquoise body and a familiar emblem painted on the lower left. He took a brief look to the side of the stage, where he saw who the band needed for the next song, and went on to say “It should be no secret that my fiancé and I discovered your world earlier this year, and since then, we’ve come to know a lot of other ponies of all races and from all different locations. Tonight, where it’s been our turn to meet you and vice-versa during the Equestrian Masquerade, we have a few fillies from Ponyville who’d like to meet you, too. Vanhoover, put your hooves together for our three little friends…

“APPLE BLOOM, SWEETIE BELLE, AND SCOOTALOO: THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!”

And with that, the trio ran out onto the stage, and Phineas had three special microphone stands adjusted just for them rise out of the floor. When everyone on stage was set, Tails signaled Jason, who was on the drums, to hit a cymbal four times and get things going…

HEARTS AS STRONG AS HORSES – My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/The Cutie Mark Crusaders with Gohan lineup/Gohan on acoustic guitar, Tails on rhythm guitar, Kim and Ron on custom percussion
UNTIL THE SUN (ORIGINAL MIX + AVIATORS MIX) – Replacer &I/only Aelita on turntables/programming/samples, Ami on Feather vocals, Yumi on lead guitar/fadeout into next song
ASTRAL BODY – Between the Buried & Me/Gohan/Yumi on rhythm guitar, Tails and Aelita on keyboards/synthesizers
TURN TO DUST/VENGEANCE IS MINE – Arch Enemy/Yumi with Gohan lineup/Gohan on rhythm guitar

Ash, standing at the left side of the stage with his microphone in hand, took his turn to address the audience and said “Ponies, it’s time we kick things up another notch, and see if we can send a shockwave from here all the way across Equestria to Manehattan!” As the audience began to cheer once again, he began to walk to the opposite side of the stage. “I want to hear you singing with us, I want to see you jumping up and down, I want to hear you trot in circle pits, but above all else…” Pausing for a moment for one more good look at the crowd, he made his intentions for the next song very clear; “I WANT TO HEAR. THIS. WHOLE. PLACE. BOOM!!!”

BOOM – P.O.D./Ash
SLOW SUICIDE – Scott Stapp/Jason/Tails on rhythm guitar
THE PRETENDER – Foo Fighters/Dan with Jason lineup/Dan and Jason on rhythm guitars, Ami on cello
MEMORIES – Unsaid Fate/Kim with Ash lineup/Ash on rhythm guitar, Ron on male vocals
FALLING – Staind/Gohan + rhythm guitar
YOU DON’T BLEED FOR ME – Killswitch Engage/Ash with Jason lineup/Jason on lead guitar and backing vocals, Tails on rhythm guitar
FORTUNATE SON [CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL] – John Fogerty/Ron with Jason lineup/Dan on co-vocals with Dave Grohl vocals and rhythm guitar, Jason on extra rhythm guitar

“Who wants to keep going a little more?!” Ami asked the crowd, who cheered long and loud to answer her. “I was hoping to hear that, especially with how many more songs we have planned for you guys tonight. Before we go on, can we give our host Zecora some more love and make some noise for her?! Thank you, Zecora!” She allowed everypony to cheer nice and loudly, and the hosting zebra, who sat with Twilight and the others, sat up for a quick bow. When the cheering began to quiet down, Ami talked again and said “As we are growing closer to the end of our night with you guys, we’d like to break out a rare treat for you; a song we barely play live. From the band Paramore, this is a staple for how alternative rock music flourishes. This song is called ‘Decode…’”

DECODE – Paramore/Ami with Jason lineup/Jason on rhythm guitar, Kim on keyboard
CALL OF THE ZOMBIE – Rob Zombie/audio track
SUPERBEAST – Rob Zombie/Jason/Kim on rhythm guitar, Ron on keyboard/samples
UNTIL THE END – Asking Alexandria/Ash/Jason on Howard Jones vocals, Kim on rhythm guitar, Yumi on bass guitar, Aelita on keyboards/samples
ROCK AND ROLL ANGEL – Heaven & Hell/Yugi/Jason on bass guitar and Gohan on lead guitar
POISON GIRL – HIM/Gohan/Tails on piano/keyboard
FIRE FIRE – Flyleaf/Yumi with Yugi lineup/Yugi on rhythm guitar

“Alright, it’s time to me to be honest with you guys about something,” Jason said, taking his turn to speak to the crowd, but truly sounding if he had something to admit. “Tonight, we are doing something very, very rare for us, and that’s not play ANY music from one of our favorite bands. The band I’m talking about, they go by the name of Slipknot; they are one of the most vital influences to this band, and it was decided that, specifically for tonight, we’d go a show without playing their music. But we will let you in on a secret… I finally convinced these guys to give that band a special honor towards the end of JAGFest…

“But for right now, we have a brand new song that involves the same singer from Slipknot. We got our man Ron leading on the drums alongside Gohan, and if we’re going to get to the end of this set, we’re going the hard rock route! Come on, Vanhoover, let’s give it one more go!...”

ON MY OWN – Travis Barker/Jason/Ron on lead drum kit
THE CRIMSON – Atreyu/Ash/Dan on clean vocals, Kim on rhythm guitar



ENCORE:
CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS – William Anderson/audio instrumental
NEVER WILL I BREAK – 3 Doors Down/Yugi/Tails on lead guitar and co-vocals
THAT SMELL [LYNYRD SKYNYRD] – 3 Doors Down/Yugi/Tails on lead guitar and co-vocals/outro jam of ‘Duck & Run’

“THANK YOU AGAIN, VANHOOVER! IT’S BEEN AN HONOR PERFORMING FOR YOU TONIGHT!” Yugi yelled out to the cheering, stomping, clapping, whistling audience, praising the band for their now completed performance. “Thank you for giving us another wonderful ending to another JAGFest! We’ll tell Las Pegasus you all said hello, but until we meet again…

“THANK YOU! GOOD NIGHT!!!”