• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 783 Views, 2 Comments

Operation Imortuus - Pika53



A new special ops team hopes to find answer’s regarding some murders, they found fear.

  • ...
3
 2
 783

Chapter #7

Standing within what appeared to be the mansion's main hall, not a sound could be heard except the gasps of the team as they recovered from their nightmarish sprint through the forest. While the dolls freed themselves from their harnesses, Jaden let his gaze drift and marveled at their new surroundings. The sheer size of the room they'd escaped into was the epitome of lavish. It was huge, easily bigger than the apartment he shared with Tess, with gray flecked marble floor tiles and dominated by a wide carpeted staircase that lead to a second floor balcony.

Arched marble pillars lined the ornate hall and provided support to the dark heavy wood banister of the upper floor while fluted wall sconces cast funnels of light across walls of cream that were trimmed in oak and offset by the deep burnt ocher of the carpeting. Two doors were on the wall to their right while a single door was to the left. A small end table sat to the left side of the grand staircase. In short, the place was magnificent yet Jaden couldn't quite place why it seemed strangely familiar to him.

“Is everyone alright?” he asked.

A chorus of affirmations indicated that the others were fine while they continued to survey their new surroundings as they caught their breath.

“What the buck was that?!” Edi exclaimed.

“I wish I knew.” Jaden replied, shaking his head.

“It looks like the wood around this lock has been splintered so I guess it’s safe
to say somepony broke this door open before we got here.” Zander cut in.

“How are we set for ammo?” captain Vickers called out.

Ejecting his handgun's current clip, Jaden discovered that he only had two rounds remaining. During their dash through the woods, he recalled firing a full clip and most of the current one; twenty-eight shots in total. That left him with eight additional clips of ammo for his sidearm and launcher along with ten forty-five round magazines for his rifle. According to his mental math, that left him with four hundred fifty rounds for his pulse-rifle and one hundred twenty-two rounds for his pistol; or roughly forty-eight rounds for the launcher. Tess and Cameron reported firing twenty-two shots each, which left the mares with four hundred fifty rounds for their rifles and one hundred twenty-eight rounds for their pistols, while Zander reported firing thirty-three rounds, leaving him with four hundred fifty rounds for his rifle and one hundred seventeen rounds for his handgun; not to mention the specialty ammo for their additional weapons.

It was perhaps fortunate that they were all equipped with energy weapons as it allowed them to carry more ammo than conventional ballistic weapons would; not to mention that both his sidearm and launcher shared the same type of magazine.

“What is this?” Zander asked.

“Not quite your ordinary house, that's for sure.” Vickers replied.

Jaden realized that they were missing several ponies as Cameron began glancing frantically around the room.

“Where's Shadow and sis?” she asked as she began heading back toward the door they'd entered through.

“Kid, no! You don't want to go back out there.” Vickers snapped.

Cameron began to protest but cut short as Selena spoke up.

I'm tracking them so they're still alive. It appears they've taken refuge in an adjacent structure.

Cameron let out a relieved sigh at the news.

“Can we raise them on comm?” Tess asked.

Not likely. I'm detecting an anomaly of some kind that seems to be radiating from the structure.
It would appear that limited short range communications is all that is available at present.” Selena replied.

Jaden sighed and rolled his eyes.

If he was understanding Selena correctly, then they couldn't call the other team, or anyone else for help, and all comm traffic between one another within the mansion itself would be spotty at best. The good news was that Shadow, Fiora, and the three dolls accompanying them were still alive. How long they remained that way however, was another matter entirely. As he continued to study his surroundings, Jaden couldn't shake the feeling of unease that steadily grew within him. Despite the mansion's grandeur, something about the atmosphere of the place just felt... wrong. He could see similar feelings of unease displayed upon most of his companions faces.

It's also unfortunate that none of the EMRF personnel survived our encounter in the forest.” Selena continued.

“So, what now?” Brutalight spoke up.

“Well, help should be on the way, assuming our 'friend' bothers to call it in.” Vickers replied sarcastically.

A chorus of contemptuous snorts and groans indicated how his companions felt on the matter. Jaden certainly didn't blame them for feeling such things considering their pilot had decided to abandon them in this forsaken forest. The dude had seriously screwed up and they were paying the price for it. The captain meanwhile, had walked over to one of the doors on the wall to the right of the stairs and rattled the handle, but it didn't open.

“It's not safe to go back out and until the cavalry arrives we might as well look around.” he remarked.

“After all, it's obvious that somepony's been keeping this place up; though why and for how long...”

Jaden nodded thoughtfully at the idea as the captain walked back toward them. All feelings of unease aside, it would be in their best interest to check the place out; and it might even lead to clues in solving their investigation. He was snapped out of his reverie moments later, by the sound of a gunshot from somewhere nearby. Although the acoustics within the mansion were off due to its size, it sounded like the noise had originated from beyond the door to their left.

In unison, the group turned in that direction.

“What the hay was that?” Zander asked.

No one answered him.

“Check it out and report back ASAP. We'll stay here and wait in case back-up arrives.” Vickers ordered the pegasus.

“If you run into trouble fire your weapon and we'll find you.” he continued.

Zander shot him a questioning look and Jaden nodded his approval.
With a sigh, Zander pulled out his shotgun as he walked toward the door.

“That's why I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.” he said.

“I heard that.” Rainbine piped up.

“Zan... take care.” Tess called out as he reached the door.

Zander shot her a lop-sided grin and nodded once before passing into the next room.

The next six minutes passed quietly without incident before the sound Jaden dreaded to hear most could be heard from somewhere beyond the adjacent room; the sound of a shotgun being fired. Seconds passed before another shot was heard. Out of the corner of his eye, Jaden could see the anxious gazes of his companions directed at him.

“Let's move!” he said, already heading for the door.

Upon reaching the door Jaden turned and cast captain Vickers a glance.

“Go, I'll secure this area.”

“Stay alert!” the captain called out.

Jaden nodded back to him then signaled Cameron to open the door. Seconds later, the group filed through into the next room. As they entered, Jaden heard the loud ticking of an old clock. The room was an ornate dining hall, as big as Princess Celestia's back in Canterlot, and was cut in half by a second floor balcony, stretching all the way around. High above, a chandelier cast funnels of light across walls of beige that were trimmed in red wood and expensive artwork.

The room was dominated by an extravagant wooden table that looked like it easily could support two-dozen individuals, but set for half that number. Judging by the thin layer of dust coating everything, much like it had within the main hall, it appeared that nothing had been served for weeks. On the other side of the room was an impressive fireplace; another door to its right.

Lowering their weapons, the group slowly began to cross the room.

As they traveled, a chorus of murmurs told Jaden that the others were as awed by the sight as he was. Glancing up at the second floor balcony, Jaden didn't see anything but couldn't shake the sudden unmistakable feeling that they were being watched. As he passed the table, another sight near the fireplace caught his attention; a small pool of blood.

“You'd better take a look at this!” he called out; gaining the others attention.

Quickly rushing over, Cameron and Tess let out startled gasps as they saw what he'd found.

“This is still fresh…” Jaden replied somberly as he probed the pool with a finger.

“Let's just hope it isn't Zan's.”

He then looked at Cameron and nodded toward the nearby door before speaking.

“Go on ahead and see what you can find. We'll be examining this.”

Cameron gulped and nodded before drawing her sidearm and heading through the door; Rainbine following her like a demented little shadow. Once they were out of sight, Jaden stood and turned to Tess; noting just how unnerved she was by their situation. Curiously, many of the dolls seemed just as troubled about the circumstances as she was.

“There's something about this place.” he said.

“I have to admit, it's very beautiful but also really creepy.” Tess agreed, shivering.

“It’s not just that. I swear I've seen this place before.” Jaden replied.

“Oh, do tell.” Brutalight cut in sarcastically.

“Do you remember that one whacked out survival horror game I've got?” Jaden asked.

Tess nodded that she did as the dolls looked on in confusion.

“I kid you not, this place was a level in it.” he continued.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Jaden snorted and struggled to hold back laughter as Tess fixed him with a gaze he'd witnessed many times; a look of such scorn that most creatures would be forced to turn away from shame. It only added to the humor that Brutalight had somehow managed to copy the look. Remembering what that one unicorn had given him, Jaden pulled out the file folder and handed it to Tess.

“Despite what you think, this is what that Zeta chick gave me earlier.” he said.

“Although me and Brutalight couldn't make sense of it before, perhaps you might find something we missed.”

While still continuing to stare dubiously at him, Tess accepted the folder and began browsing through it.

“And just how did she come across this?” she asked suspiciously.

“Apparently a mare showed up at the camp last night and handed it over with instructions to give it to me personally.” Jaden answered.

He fought back another snicker as Tess continued to glare at him.

“Oh, for Celestia's sake, get a room already!” Rarifruit snapped.

“We're not a couple!” Tess roared in reply.

Jaden really did have to fight back a laugh this time while Edi openly snickered. Said pony was also the only doll in the room that wasn't glaring at them. Seconds later, Edi suddenly began to experience a strange sporadic shudder that looked vaguely familiar and grabbed the group’s attention; causing them to stare at her.

“What's your problem?” Fluttershout inquired.

“I don't know... but whatever that shudder's about, it's a doozy.” Edi replied.

The rest of the group exchanged looks as Edi continued speaking.

“It's almost like there are two of me but that can't be right.”

Not a sound could be heard as the rest of the group continued to stare at one another in disbelief. Any response that could've been made was interrupted as the nearby door burst open. Instinctively, Jaden drew and aimed his sidearm at the entryway as they watched Cameron and Rainbine stumble backward into the room while being perused by what had at one time been an earth pony colt. The condition of the creature indicated that it had expired quite some time ago.

“Uh, guys!” the larger pegasus called out frantically.

“Got it!” Jaden replied, aiming at the shambling beast that slowly approached them.

Once the pair had gotten out of the way, Jaden unloaded his remaining ammo into the beast's skull; causing it to silently collapse to the floor in a heap. He then ejected the empty mag and slapped in a fresh one as he turned back to Tess.

“Look familiar?” he asked.

“Oh, I wish I hadn't just seen that!” the alicorn retorted irritably.

Jaden silently nodded as he recalled the pair's experiences back in the Enrichment Center shortly after they'd first met. One of the demented challenges the crazed computerized caretaker had created for them had been to navigate their way through first a reproduction of Ponyville then a war torn reproduction of Canterlot while battling similar creatures. The experience hadn't been pleasant.

Gazing at the corpse before them, Jaden began to grasp what was going on.

“We found one of the Zeta's killed by this thing.” Cameron muttered.

“Let me guess, the victim had its throat torn out?” Jaden replied.

“How did you...” the pegasus stuttered in confusion.

“Just call it a hunch.”

“Wow, that's too good for a hunch.” Rainbine piped up.

Jaden snorted as he heard Tess let out a frustrated groan.

“Selena, can you pull up a schematic of the structure?” he asked.

“Accessing... stand by.”

Seconds later, a top down holographic blueprint of the mansion's first and second floors materialized in the air before them. Studying the map, Jaden shook his head incredulously as he recognized the floor plan. Of all the designs that could have been used, the mansion had been built as a carbon copy of the remade version of the very game he'd just been eluding to. It didn't seem possible for such a thing to happen yet somehow they were now trapped in an environment straight from grand fantasy. Then again, it wasn't every day that one found themselves transported to a world from a cartoon about talking ponies after playing a video game either.

Behind him, Jaden heard Cameron whistle softly while Tess let out another frustrated groan as they also recognized the layout. Fortunately, they could see the locations of every member of the team displayed on the map; illustrating that Zander was still alive and moving somewhere beyond the door ahead. Two additional blips on the dining room's upper floor caused Jaden to cock an eyebrow in curiosity as he wondered where they'd come from. He hadn't seen anything up there when he'd looked earlier.

“It would appear that sixty percent of the doors have been unlocked prior to our arrival. Those that remain locked are either unusually constructed or require a special key.” Selena spoke up.

“So, what is all this supposed to mean?” Fluttershout asked.

“We've got problems.” Jaden answered.

“Oh, this is going to be a long night.” Cameron contributed.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jaden watched Tess plant her face in a hoof while continuing to groan.
Although he didn't fault her for being annoyed at the situation, it was still funny to watch.

“I've got a massive migraine forming and can't deal with anymore craziness right now so let's just go back and report to the captain what we've found.” she grumbled.

“You wanna talk to the captain... let's go talk to the captain.” Jaden retorted, smirking at the murderous glare Tess shot him.

The group then made their way out of the room the way they'd originally come.

***************

Standing upon the dining room's upper floor, two mares watched the commando team as they exited the dining room into the main hall.

The first mare, a golden coated alicorn with a crimson and azure streaked mane, smirked to herself as she reflected upon what they'd just learned. Her companion meanwhile, a blue coated unicorn mare with a platinum colored mane with a pink streak running along its length; grumbled softly to herself. Both mares were dressed in outfits similar to what the commando team wore; outfits liberated from the wrecked chariot outside. Of course, the events that had transpired thus far, had done so according to the first mare's desire. Said mare chuckled to herself as she recalled how her companion had recently taken an unexpected flight this evening which had contributed to the current situation.

The unicorn really should get herself checked out.

The commando team meanwhile, seemed to be living up to the alicorn's expectations. Even if the mare didn't quite understand most of the references they'd made, she was pleased to note that the group certainly seemed to grasp the situation, particularly since one of them was a traitor to the cause and knew about everything that was happening. Although, she hadn't expected to see the quartet of animated dolls, said dolls wouldn't affect her overall plan so the mare was inclined to let the matter go. What intrigued her the most however, was how the little blue one had somehow managed to detect them; particularly since the invisibility spell they'd used rendered them hidden from view. Not to mention the fact it bore an uncanny resemblance to her companion.

The alicorn chuckled to herself yet again. This was going to be fun.

“I still say we should just kill 'em.” the unicorn grumbled.

“Oh, what fun would that be... particularly when they're going to be doing all the work.” the alicorn countered.

“All that's left now is to make sure they complete their task so I want you to go back to the lower floor and follow them while I secure the upper one. Just make sure they don't see you.” she continued.

“Oh, who cares?! It's not like anything that's happening really matters! ” the unicorn whined.

The alicorn felt herself involuntarily twitch as her companion once again demonstrated how foalish she could be at times. It was all the mare could do not to openly verbalize how much of a spoiled imbecile the unicorn was behaving and how she wanted to rip said pony in too.

“And this is why I'm the one who gives the orders!” she snapped.

“Besides, it's not like we can't just kill them later! NOW GO!”

The unicorn merely rolled her eyes and huffed in reply.

“Whatever you say... Painset Shimmercakes.” said unicorn retorted before breaking into snickers.

The mocking infection she noted within the unicorn's voice at the pronunciation of her name, prompted the alicorn to let out a vicious snarl. In retaliation, she levitated her protesting companion into the air before throwing the unicorn over the railing to the floor below. The alicorn smirked to herself at the delightful sound of the unicorn's painful reintroduction to the ground followed moments later by said pony's angry screech. She then began walking toward the door leading into the main hall; eager to see what would happen next and to make sure things proceeded according to plan.