• Published 7th Feb 2015
  • 1,869 Views, 211 Comments

The Siren Song: A Siren's Fight - Shadowmane PX-41



The Dazzlings have finally seen just how malefic their brothers have truly become. Now it's up to them and The Rainbooms to save the three worlds from their insidious ways. Will the Magic of Friendship prevail in the conclusion of The Siren Song?

  • ...
4
 211
 1,869

A Different Kind of Battle

The next night...


Everyone stood at the top of the building, half of them taken aback with the majestic heights from which they were standing on, whilst the other half were either practising or looking at the rules of Battletone so they could revise their tactics for how to win.

"Man, The Blasters really aren't pulling any punches with this tournament..." Rainbow Dash said as The Rainbooms overlooked their rule sheets for Battletone. "Rule number 15: Sabotage is a clear violation of fair play, and any band responsible will be immediately disqualified," she then looked at all of the cameras that dotted around the stage and in the areas that seemed out of reach. "And with all this high security, there's gonna be absolutely nothing that slips their eyes..."

"That's not all, Rainbow. It says here, in Rule number 13, that each band needs to sing a completely different song for each round, should they survive their last battles..." Applejack stated, reading the rule that caught her eyes. "We're gonna have ta work real hard ta stay original in this here tournament."

"Listen, girls. I know that this might seem easy, but you have to remember that we're not dealing with high-school students anymore," Sunset stated, looking at all of the other bands that had enlisted themselves for Battletone. "We're dealing with some of the best of the best bands from across the planet, all of who have spent years doing this sort of thing..."

"It's not just the other bands from the Human World, Sunset. Remember that The Dazzlings and The Laments are also in this tournament," Twilight reminded her as she pointed over to where Adagio and Requiem were sharing some of their life stories with each other. "The Dazzlings and The Laments are Lyrican Sirens, who excel in this sort of thing. Not to mention that we'd have to fight The Blasters in the Title Match..." she sighed. "This time, we might not be able to win."

"Hey, it's alright, Twilight. You don't have to win EVERY fight placed in front of you," Sunset said, putting a hand on Twilight's shoulder to help cheer her up slightly. "Sometimes, winning is only made possible by losing. If people keep on winning, then they're bound to end up falling from their increasingly high pedestal sooner or later. And let's not forget, the bigger they are, the harder they fall..."

"Are you sure about that, Sunset?" Twilight asked, wondering whether or not her words would sink in this time.

"Trust me, Twilight. I've seen this scenario plenty of times before," Sunset began speaking once more. "Some ponies I used to know back in Equestria got really riled up because they couldn't complete a simple essay. They dropped out of Celestia's studies and ended up becoming doctors, royal guards, mayors, you name it."

"Even Sunset got something out of leaving Equestria behind. She got us and the Magic of Friendship to boot," Rainbow Dash said as she draped her arm over Sunset's shoulders. "She's come a really long way since she first came here, and it's as if she's a totally different person now."

"Even I have to admit, you have changed quite a lot, Sunset." Twilight smiled as she looked Sunset in the eyes, seeing how much she'd changed over the years, and what a fine heroine she'd become.

"Thanks, Twilight. It really means a lot that I'm able to have such good friends like you by my side.,," Sunset smiled as she looked up into the skies above. "To think, the old me was incompatible with such a magnificent concept, but now, I've made so many friends that I've lost count of them all..."

Meanwhile, Adagio, Aria, Sonata, Requiem, Andante and Bellicoso were all talking to one another, sharing some of their great tales since the Lyrican war that destroyed their kind all those years ago...

"What precisely happened upon your resurrection, Dazzlings?" Requiem asked as he leaned against one of the barriers of the building, eager to know what happened to Adagio, Aria and Sonata ever since the war.

"Well, let's just say that it was quite a rough time for us..." Adagio said as she ruminated on her memories of being corrupted with Dark Magic. "We no longer cared for the well-being of the other species, thanks to the Dark Magic that had been infused into us when we were resurrected. Because of it, we continuously used our powers to push the Balance of Lyrica further and further into hatred and anger, trying to spark up another war that would have caused even more bloodshed and destruction..."

"Our first target was Equestria. We disguised ourselves as our Hippocampi and caused riots and feuds to break out among even the deepest of kindred spirits," Aria explained, also remembering her dark past. "The carnage that we spread was intolerable, and that caught the attention of Starswirl the Bearded. He banished us to this world, where he hoped that we would rot and perish."

"But Orchy and The Blasters came running towards Starswirl after we were banished, completely furious with what he'd done to us, "Sonata said, taking over for Aria. "The Blasters overpowered the poor old pony and threw him into one of Dystopia's torture chambers, where they brutalized and abused him until he coughed up what they wanted."

"What precisely did Fortissimo, Allegro and Orchestral want with him?" Bellicoso asked, picking up on some vital pieces of information in what Sonata had just said.

"They told us that they'd extracted a deafening volume for their songs, so that they'd be powerful enough to rip open the fabric of reality and strike all three worlds at once, marking everyone around the worlds so they could harvest dozens and dozens of energy for their causes..." Adagio said, reminding herself of what The Blasters had planned for the worlds in the trinity. "I'm certain that they're tying up loose ends in the hope that they'll harvest enough power to reach a level where they'll become completely unstoppable..."

"Ladies and Gentlemen of Battletone!" Fortissimo announced as soon as the sun vanished into the horizon and a thick mist enveloped the stage. His voice was accompanied by what seemed like some slight hints of music. While his voice could be heard, he was nowhere to be seen.

As the crowd looked at the stage, three different spotlights turned on in time with the music, revealing Orchestral, then Allegro and finally, Fortissimo. The crowd let out some cheers once each of The Blasters was spotlit, but they then died down to let The Blasters sing their next song.

The tourney had begun
With the vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun.

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy when you defeat your opposition

The Blasters were off to a good start, putting their voices in complete harmony with one another, so that they were flawlessly channelling their song without error or hesitation.

The tourney has begun
With the vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy when you defeat your opposition

Fortissimo then jumped off of the stage whilst Allegro and Orchestral backed him up with their instruments. Fortissimo had come off of the stage so that he could interact with many of the other bands.

Hi there! How ya doing?
Nice to see you, are you a new band?

Don't think I've seen you before
It's great to see new groups on this stand

And if you'd like it, I can show you round
This enchanting Dubairaffe, new and improved from a small town

Fortissimo's lyrics were already reaching to the other bands that were participating in Battletone. They were already swaying to his words and bearing smiles when he came over to them.

There's no defeat but then, who would want to lose?
It's the golden chance of a lifetime, and failure bears no bruise

I'm so glad to have another bunch of faces in the crowd
You're all in the game, so let's all stand up tall and proud

Fortissimo then leapt back on stage with the rest of The Blasters, ready to sing together once more

But what is that I spy
With my Lyrican eyes?
I think I see some shreds of doubt inside the new guys

Maybe they aren't ready to take this chance
Let's show them that they're worth more than just single glance...

The Blasters' vocal harmony was very swaying and efficient that not even The Rainbooms could stop dancing to it. They were only getting stronger and stronger the more they sang and harvested power.

The tourney has begun
With the vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy whe you defeat your opposition

The tourney has begun
With the Vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy when you defeat your opposition

Fortissimo was then the main focus of the three converging spotlights.

Beat the oppositiooooooooooonn

Oh, we'll have a fun game
Where no singers or bands are tame

The lights all returned to normal, showing all of The Blasters, but still primarily focusing on Fortissimo.

Forgive me for being mysterious
Secrecy's not my deal

I'm actually quite sympathetic
When there's something that I reveal

"It's not that we don't trust you, we do! We love you too," he spoke to each of the different bands and their leads as he strolled around the audience once more. But then he came to Adagio and stopped, "But in OUR Battle of the Bands. Well... We have a few rules."

AND IF YOU BREAK WE WILL HAVE TO
BREAK YOU LIKE YOU BROKE OUR HEARTS

WE'LL BE FORCED TO MODIFY YOU
AND REMOVE YOUR SINFUL PARTS

The Blasters suddenly made the audience show tons of fear with their sudden change in mood, they watched their crowd quiver in fear when they mentioned their penalty for rule-breaking. Then, when they'd had their fun, they all calmed down.

"Now, you wouldn't want that. And frankly, neither would I." Fortissimo got back up on stage.

But sometimes to do some good you've gotta
Be the bad guy!

The Blasters were once more accompanied by lights, but now they were much different than before. They seemed to go off in certain patterns and all had different colours with every sequence.

Though the winners play
We hope the losers stay
So they can partake in our consolation soiree

Formal attire is required for you to take part
You've got to trade-off your instruments before we start...

A hatch opened up by the stage, which had different signs that pointed towards the group getting rid of their instruments. However, there was a second hatch that made chrome copies of the instruments they played.

"Now then, you might be wondering why we're asking you to trade-off your instruments? Well, I'll tell you," Fortissimo said as he watched the crowd make a single-file line to gather their instruments for Battletone. "You see, these new instruments are made to bedazzle and wow the crowd when they're played. They're also the key difference between winning and losing, but we'll get to that later."

"Oh, and don't worry if you're restricted to microphones only. We have copies of those as well," Fortissimo spoke to The Dazzlings whilst Allegro and Orchestral continued singing to back him up. "If you are a vocal group only, our special musical team will provide you with some backing for the song you sing at your audition. Then, they'll perform the instrumental themes that both participating bands will weaponize in order to defeat their opponents," his words made Adagio raise a brow in suspicion. "But as I've said, we'll get to that later. But for now, enjoy the rest of the show whilst you pick up your instruments for Battletone..."

The tourney has begun
With the vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy when you defeat your opposition

The tourney has begun
With the vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy when you defeat your opposition

The tourney has begun
With the vanishing sun
And we're so sorry if the losers think it isn't fun

It's not so bad when you realize it's all in good fun
You'll be so happy when you defeat your opposition...

The Blasters once more unleashed their perfect vocal harmony on the crowd, as one by one they traded off their instruments for The Blasters' chrome copies. They watched as they saw The Rainbooms hesitate to leave their instruments behind, but when they saw their new chrome copies, they were rather pleased with how they handled them.

Eventually, when the entire crowd had their chrome copies, Fortissimo watched as The Dazzlings and The Laments were handed six chrome microphones for their participation in Battletone. With his song coming to an end, Fortissimo kneeled down to the group of six and said, "I'm sure you'll have fun. Just don't break the rules... and don't run. And I'm sure that this'll be a fair game," he let out a light chuckle. "Anyone could face us..." returning to his crowd he once more whispered, "Anyone..." before he and The Blasters vanished as the lights finished.


Later...


"And that wraps up the auditions for Battletone," Fortissimo said as The Laments walked off of the stage, being applauded for doing so. "You've all played extremely well, and you've all deserved your positions in the tournament..."

"However, as this is now a tournament, this is the point where we have to split the competing bands up," Orchestral said as a TV screen appeared from the roof of the stage, showing one-hundred-and-twenty-eight tournament tree listings. "Over the next seven days, we shall be pitting band against band. One-hundred-and-twenty-eight must become sixty-four, sixty-four must become thirty-two, thirty-two must become sixteen, and so on and so forth until we finally get our winner of the tournament."

"Now then, before we continue with the tournament listings, let us demonstrate what these instruments you carry can do," Allegro said as he picked up a chrome keytar and began playing it. Whilst he did so, various different white beams fired out of it and struck the night sky, making firework patterns that caught the attention of the crowd in seconds. "As you can see, these instruments are very special. They're made to fire illuminating energy when played..."

"I hate this part..." Orchestral muttered under his breath as he walked into Allegro's line of fire.

"But when they come into contact with another band member..." Allegro fired on Orchestral, knocking onto his back. He heard the crowd looking quite surprised when they saw what had happened to Orchestral, but then he used his hands to calm them down. "Don't worry about that. These energy blasts have been scientifically proven to be non-fatal. they're just to be used to knock people onto their knees and make them stumble."

"Using these instruments, it's last band standing that moves onto the next round," Fortissimo explained. "But when you duel us in the Title Match, we'll permit you to use your old instruments, as we'll be doing the same."

"Now that introductions and explanations are out of the way, let's see who'll be facing who in the first round..." Orchestral pointed towards the TV, which animated the names of all of the bands and made them shuffle around the tournament tree erratically. They went so fast that it was hard to track.

"Everybody! Count down with us so that we can place the bands on the tree!" Fortissimo said, showing large amounts of enthusiasm as he urged the crowd to count downwards with him.

"Five! Four! Three! Two! One!" everyone counted down as the tournament tree started to glow brighter and brighter. When they all made it to one, a large flash could be seen on the TV screen, positioning the bands that would be battling in the first round of Battletone.

Author's Note:

Me: Tank god I got dat out...

Autumn Breeze: Yoo did weww, bwodew. Now wet's go and pway wid Nighty and Fire before bath time.

Me: Otay, sistew... (Goes off with Autumn Breeze)

Luna: Hmm... What's this?

Celestia: You tell me, sister.

Luna: It seems as if Shadowmane's a valiant little one, isn't he? (Looks at the playing foals)

Celestia: You could say that in a way...

Luna: To think, he spends all of this time writing, and yet not many ponies know of his brilliance...

Celestia: This story needs to reach out to an extended audience somehow...

Luna: Well, while you formulate a plan to increase the popularity of The Siren Song, I'd best be getting the bathtub ready...