• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 1,981 Views, 39 Comments

A Prophecy of Worlds to Fall - Diespitris



"After all their crusades, all the failures from which they walked away, it was easy to forget they weren't invincible. Fate was a cruel mistress to take one of them from us at such a young age..."

  • ...
2
 39
 1,981

Chapter Five : "Frozen by gold that has turned into ice."

The revelation rendered us speechless, needless to say. It felt thick as an ice sheet, cold and unforgiving as Pinkie and Fluttershy escorted our shaken zebra friend to one of the castle guest rooms. It didn't take me long to find my voice once they were out of earshot, however. “Twilight, what are we going to do?” I asked under my breath.

Spike's embrace on my foreleg tightened. He voiced my concern immediately. “Do you think... Do you think Applejack took it?”

“Impossible,” breathed Twilight.

“How?” I snapped. “How is it impossible? The ride from Appleloosa to Ponyville is only a few hours!” And I strongly believed Applejack was more than able to sneak her way out of her cousin's care. Given our secrecy, nopony would dare deny the Element of Honesty a train ticket.

Twilight's breath trembled as she inhaled. “Yes, but we don't know anything definitive. Even if she did take the Alicorn Amulet, she can't use it. Why would she steal something she was unable to use?” She momentarily bit down on the edge of her hoof, glancing towards the doorway. “I'll go with some guards to Zecora's place, look for clues.”

For the first time, Spike detached from me. “I'll go with you!” he declared, determined.

Twilight shook her head, however, and he visibly became discouraged. “Not this time, Spike,” she replied. “It's too dangerous. What if the pony who attacked Zecora is still lurking out there in the forest?” Again, she shook her head, albeit with more force. “No, I won't risk it. You're staying.”

“I'll stay, too,” I said. With Sweetie Belle within the safety of our parents' home, I wanted to stay for the benefit of Spike, Zecora, and Twilight's peace of mind. I treated the former two, plus Pinkie and Fluttershy, to a hot kettle of tea as Twilight departed with a small band of hoof-chosen guards.

Not long after, however, the sky darkened. I noticed it only when the warm sunlight shining in through the windows faded away. The ominous gray clouds responsible seemed to appear out of nowhere. “Gracious,” I heard myself mutter. “Is it supposed to rain?”

Fluttershy went about closing the windows. “Oh, no, I hope not! Twilight will to get caught in it!”

Zecora spared a glance. “No, those clouds are too bizarre...” Her eyes narrowed. “I fear this darkness came from afar.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Pinkie's tail tremble. I turned my head to see her staring out the window, her eyes as impossibly wide as only she could manage. “Pinkie?” I called.

She remained still, though her tail began to writhe like a dying serpent. “Zecora's right,” she whispered.

Cautiously, Spike rested a hand on her withers. “Uh, what?”

Zecora's right!” She pulled the baby dragon into her arms and she dove under the bedsheets. “Don't look!

Something struck the window—an alarmingly loud impact. I looked. A faint, but obviously crimson, smear streaked the glass. I immediately motioned for Fluttershy and Zecora to remain where they were as I investigated.

There, lying dead on the windowsill, was a small bird; its fragile neck was crooked.

I couldn't stifle my horror from manifesting into a gasp when another followed suit. Then, another, and another. My heart dropped like a rock into my stomach, and I drew the curtains. It shielded my eyes, but not my ears as countless tiny bodies began to strike the walls.

Those weren't clouds outside. They were flocks of birds.

Zecora!” I cried. “The curtains! Close the curtains!” I didn't want Fluttershy to see. Judging by the horrified look in her eyes, she knew the situation was severe. She remained rooted to the floor, her knees knocking together as they quaked.

Silently, we awaited the end of the barrage, and I wracked my mind for an explanation for the event. I was no stranger to the possibility of a single bird hitting a window. Birds didn't know any better. Unless they caught their reflection at the right moment, in the right light, there was no way for them to avoid the crystal-clarity of glass.

But, thank the stars, we didn't have to wait long before the impacts finally ceased. Zecora peeked behind one of the curtains. She said nothing for a minute, then, “The sun once more shines bright, but on the streets sets a frightful sight...” She grimaced, allowing the curtain to fall back into place. “We shouldn't go out until the time is right.”

I assumed she meant until Twilight returned, and she returned to the castle with haste. The phenomenon, she explained, was visible even from the canopy of the Everfree Forest. She then lead us outside at, not surprisingly, the request of Fluttershy, who wanted to check on the poor birds. But, Zecora was right, it was horrible.

Dead and injured birds of all shapes and sizes were strewn on the lawn. We hastily gathered said injured, and carried them to Fluttershy's cottage. She immediately went to work mending their wounds, while the rest of us found solace amongst her other animals, some of which she had sent to clean up the dead birds we left behind. “How could this have happened?” asked Twilight softly. “The castle is visible for miles! Why did so many fly into it?”

Spike nervously rubbed his hands together. “Maybe they're sick or something?”

We looked to our pegasus friend for an answer. While she fought through tears to cast a bluebird's damaged wing, she shook her head. “No,” she replied. She then tilted her head as the tiny creature chirped weakly at her. She translated, “Something scared them. They were so frantic to get away, and there were so many flying at once it was hard to see where they were going!” She wiped her cheeks dry. “How awful...”

I exchanged concerned glances with the others. “Do they know what scared them?” I questioned.

Fluttershy listened to the bluebird once more. “This little one didn't see anything.” More weakened chirps came. “He says he... 'felt' it, though. It was big and oppressive, scary. He just knew it was something he needed to fly away from.”

A cold and bitter sensation crawled up my spine. “Where did it come from? Did it come from the Everfree Forest, by chance?”

She listened to the bird a third time. “No. It came from farther south, not the forest.”

Pinkie pressed her hooves into her mane. “Ghastly Gorge?!”

“Maybe,” I muttered. “There's also Appleloosa—”

“Please, don't,” pleaded Twilight. “Rarity, please, there's no proof Applejack did anything wrong.”

One thought crossed my mind, “With the exception of harassing us about the girls and putting Rainbow Dash in the hospital.” It was a sour attitude, I knew, and so I simply nodded my head. Twilight was right. Applejack was in Appleloosa, as confirmed by her cousin not too long ago. I would have happily gone on with my life, I convinced myself, if it had ended with a dozen dead birds.

Author's Note:

Ey, it lives. I'm going to try to wrap the story up with about three or so short chapters like this, fingers crossed!