• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 385 Views, 4 Comments

Friendship is Not Dead - Pterry



When the cutie mark crusaders find that the world they've grown into adulthood in is a totalitarian regime where magic of any kind is prohibited, can their friendship save the day and make things right?

  • ...
 4
 385

She's the Father of my Child

In the stunned silence, a telescreen playing in one of the nearby apartments could be heard, "-with preparations for the Lula Moon Festival coming up, morale in the kingdom is high. The Lula Moon Festival is the annual celebration of the fall of Canterlot six years ago, when disorder fell to order in the form of our glorious Queen Trixie. We celebrate Queen Trixie's servitude to her ponies, symbolized by the retaining of her birth defect. Above all we celebrate the new state, and how, after a mere six years, Queen Trixie's reign is cemented politically as well as in our hearts-"

But Sweetie Belle wasn't listening to that. She couldn't even hear it over the sound of her own thoughts, which were whirling around her head at approximately a million miles per second. How was such a thing even possible? Mares couldn't father. Twilight Sparkle especially could not father Sweetie Belle's foal! Even if such a thing were possible, why Sweetie instead of some other young mare?

"You WHAT?!?!?!?" choked out Sweetie Belle.

The purple public enemy burst into a quiet fit of giggles and snorts. "Don't worry, Sweetie," she managed to wheeze out between laughs, "It's totally not gay if she's a stallion!" Twilight Sparkle fell to the floor at this, laughing so hard that tears trickled out of her eyes.

Sweetie Belle realized that her neighbors could probably hear this. She grabbed the laughing wreck by the neck and dragged her into the apartment, slamming the door behind her. Sweetie examined her disheveled visitor. Odd, the giggling heap before her seemed less like the highly intelligent subversive of Sweetie's memories- er, imagination- and more like a mentally unstable homeless mare. But eventually the laughter died down, and Twilight Sparkle tiredly got up and tossed off her cloak.

Sweetie Belle glared, "Well?"

"I'll get to that. Sweetie Belle, do you know who I am?"

"You're Twilight Sparkle, the most dangerous enemy in Equestria. You're in my apartment, so give me one good reason why I shouldn't alert the guard!"

Twilight giggled again, "Oh, Sweetie, do you have any idea how many times I've been caught? They rough me up a bit and toss me back into the street! The state needs an enemy to survive, you know." Sweetie Belle stared, not entirely convinced. "Come on, Sweetie! Don't you know who I am? Remember me? Remember how close I was with your sister? Remember Twilight Time? Remember how I taught you to use magic?"

"I never knew you," Sweetie said, suddenly even more hostile, "And I certainly never tried to learn magic! Magic is highly illegal. Now explain yourself or I'll scream."

Twilight looked crestfallen. She sighed and said, "All right. You will remember me soon, I hope, but I guess I ought to explain. Every year or so I'm able to access magic. I guess when you're as powerful as I was, not even horn removal can fix you up entirely."

Sweetie cocked an eyebrow, "'Horn' removal?"

Twilight gestured to her forehead, "A little spiraled bone that sticks out of your head and does magic for you. You used to have one, you know."

You used to have one, you know. Those words echoed around Sweetie Belle's mind, whirling around faster and faster until the world was obscured from her senses and replaced with another. A wooden world full of books, a library. A tingling on her head and a floating broomstick. A chillingly familiar voice praising her ability. This world was obscured by a sharp pain and blackness. Sweetie Belle opened her eyes and she was on the floor of her apartment, Twilight Sparkle looking concerned.

"Uh, Sweetie Belle? Are you okay? You fell down there."

Sweetie Belle quickly got up and scowled, "I'm fine. Now continue."

"Right then. As I was saying, I get a powerful burst of magic every year. The first year I used it to teleport down from my mountain prison. That caused quite the ruckus in Ponyville. The second year I wasted it on a lot of spells that conjured up chocolate. I know Pinkie Pie would've-"

Twilight caught Sweetie Belle's glare and grinned sheepishly, "Right, well two years ago I used it on a scrying spell. I only had enough magic to scour the globe for one pony, and I settled on you."

"But why me?"

"Because I knew you once had something that most ponies in this world never had. True, true friendship. Do you remember them, Sweetie? Apple Bloom and Scootaloo?"

Sweetie Belle froze like ice. Those were the names her two little hallucinations went by. She had never told anyone that, not even her doctor. There was only one way Twilight Sparkle could have known about them. What she was saying, it had to be, maybe it was, just by some small chance, the truth.

"Uh, Sweetie? I take it you recognize those names?"

"No! Continue."

"Right. Well, I knew I had to help you find them somehow."

"So you grew a dick and fucked me?!"

"Well, more or less. Last year I got a very, very powerful burst of magic. I was able to pull off a very difficult spell. A gender-bender. I know it wasn't exactly a good thing to do, but I believe I did it for a good reason. Sweetie, do you know what you've been carrying for the past eleven months? A little alicorn foal. Right there in your belly. Quite frankly, I didn't know of any other way I could a large quantity of magic inside you. Unicorn foals get strange surges of magic, and I assume alicorn foals do even moreso. You have those magical surges inside of you now. In your blood."

Sweetie Belle shook her head, "Hold on a second. Unicorn? Alicorn? What?"

Twilight smiled, "A unicorn is what you used to be. An alicorn is what your baby is."

Sweetie still didn't quite get it, but chose not to press the issue, "And just what is the purpose of putting large quantities of magic inside of me?"

Twilight's smile became conspiratory, a signal that she felt she was about to reveal a great secret, "A few months before the fall of Canterlot, I learned something. Something very valuable indeed. Magic. Is. Friendship. That lesson helped me and my friends to save Equestria from a terrible foe called Tirek. Unfortunately, your current ruler has done almost exactly what Tirek would have done, but my lesson may still save Equestria yet."

Sweetie Belle fought down what felt like a potential panic attack, "Y-you filled me with magic and friendship so you could attack the government?! Do you have any idea what they'll do to me?! WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO HELP YOU?!"

Twilight smirked. She put on her cloak, pulled a piece of paper from its pocket, and set the paper down.

"Ultimately, Sweetie Bell, you won't have any choice in the matter. The magic, the friendship coursing through your veins will lead you to them. Friendship is pure magic. It's the most powerful force in Equestria. You will find them."

Twilight turned to go, but a thought occurred to her. She craned her neck back and asked, "By the way, is our baby a boy or a girl?"

"I, uh, don't know."

Twilight opened the door and walked out. Sweetie Belle ran out to the doorway and shouted after her, "Hey, come back! I'll call the guard on you!"

Twilight kept on walking. If Sweetie had been closer she would have heard Twilight mutter something quietly in response: "Good. Trixie will be so glad to hear I'm in town."