• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 4,083 Views, 41 Comments

Darkshine - Foxtrot

  • ...
4
 41
 4,083

Part 4

Applejack did not hear the distant wail of despair. And she did not see the flash of magic as a certain unicorn mare teleported herself away. She was concentrating too intently on securing her property.

Another half-hour's sweaty rope pulling saw the barn stabilised. Applejack exhaled through pursed lips and sagged. By Celestia, she was tired. 'Ah reckon that'll do. Say – did anyone see where Twilight went?'

'Nnope.' Big Mac, her mighty and beloved brother, shifted the cornstalk to the other side of his mouth.

'Dang. Guess I'll just hafta head on down to Suparcube Corner.'

'You sure, AJ? You look all in.'

'Heh, I'm fine.' Applejack affected a laugh, whilst trying to suppress the fatigued trembling of her legs. ''Sides, something ain't right here. I need to go consult with mah girls.'

Applejack trotted down into Ponyville proper. She couldn't ever remember being this tired. It was like moving through a grey fog. She had to keep reminding herself that honest old AJ was tougher than tiger spit and didn't stop for nothing, no-how.

Sugarcube Corner was filling up. The company of her friends was the best pick-me-up she could wish for. Rainbow Dash was hovering near the ceiling, demonstrating in graphic terms how she'd wrassled those clouds and shown that fire who was boss.

'Rainbow, git down from there. You don't need to prove to anypony how tough you are. Why, I can see you're fit to drop.'

Dash placed hooves on hips. 'Well you don't look so fresh yourself, Miss Applejack.' The two shared a long look, then Rainbow Dash returned to the ground. They exchanged muzzle rubs, each inhaling the warm, toasty aromas of fatigue from her friend.

'Why Rainbow. You smell of smoke an' ash an' burning.'

'Well shucks. Must be because I'm so darned hot.'

'Hey. Are you two done with the mutual admiration society? 'Cos I wish to announce I'm happy. Happy – happy – happy!' Spectrographic analysis of Pinkie Pie at that point would have revealed she was vibrating at a frequency of 127 megacycles per second.

'Cool.' Rainbow Dash nodded. 'Any particular reason?'

'The twins are fine. I was kind of worried for a while. I think I managed to weird myself out.' Pinkie sighed and stopped vibrating.

'Glad to hear that, Pinkie. I think Fluttershy there has the right idea...' the yellow pegasus was curled up in the corner, deeply and peacefully asleep.

The door opened to reveal Rarity. 'Darlings.' She struck a suitably theatrical pose. 'Look at us all. Simply frightful. I propose a spa visit, my treat. No no, I simply insist.'

'Yep.' Applejack yawned. 'Tomorrow.'

'Tomorrow, naturally.' Rarity responded with a jaw-cracking yawn of her own, daintily concealed behind a hoof. 'Goodness, you've got me doing it now.'

Once more the door opened. Spike came in. 'Hey, you guys. Have any of you seen Twilight?'

There was a sudden silence. Everypony exchanged glances.

'She didn't come to the library. I thought she might show up here.' Spike spread his arms wide. 'Come on, guys. Somepony must have seen her.'

'Well now.' Applejack shifted her hat back on her head. 'She was up by the barn earlier, offerin' to help. I might have been kinda short with her. I freely admit, it's been playin' on mah mind.'

'She came round while I was taking care of the twins. She only wanted to help. I sent her away with a flea in her ear. Not literally, of course.' Pinkie Pie gave an apologetic smile.

'I saw her down at the town hall. Sheesh, what a disaster.' Rainbow Dash shook her head. 'All the same, I don't really think it was her fault.'

'She was at the boutique... I fear I was unconscionably rude to her. And now I feel simply dreadful.' Rarity gave a theatrical sigh.

'I didn't see her at all today.' Fluttershy rubbed her eyes. 'But I think she was in my garden. I found her prints all over. But I was away in the forest rounding up my friends. It's really unfortunate.'

'Right,' said Spike. 'We're getting somewhere. So where is she now?'

'Well we assume she went back to Canterlot.'

'You assume,' repeated Spike. 'You mean, you don't know?'

'Now hold on there, Spike.' Applejack frowned. 'Just what the hay's got you so worked up?'

'I can't say for sure.' He looked at the floor. 'I just know something's not right.'

'Now you say it out loud,' said Applejack slowly. 'She did seem kinda distracted. You know... upset, maybe?'

'Yeah.' Spike nodded. 'We all know how she can get sometimes.'

'Well that's fine then.' Rainbow Dash gave them a smile of pure inspiration. 'We'll just go right on over to Canterlot and make sure she's OK.' She sprang into the air and struck a heroic pose.

'Um, tonight, darling?' Rarity gave her a pleading look.

'Buck, no.' Rainbow Dash returned to earth with a thump. 'Tomorrow. Sweet Celestia, I think my wings are about to fall off.'

#

Night lay heavy over Canterlot. Luna's Moon had lately risen. Its faced gazed with unconcern at the lives of the ponies below. In the tower apartment a lilac unicorn was huddled in a trembling ball. 'They rejected me. All of them. They didn't want me there.'

You see? The smug whisper of the Dark slithered into her ears. Did I not tell you it would be that way?

Twilight glanced at her hooves; ingrained, she now saw, with slivers of the mud of Ponyville. 'It was me. I blew up the barn. How was it me?'

We are one and the same, you and I.

Yet even now Twilight Sparkle's intellect was at work, and she saw the answer to the riddle. 'It's only when I'm asleep. That's when you take control. That's why I've been so tired lately.'

The Dark gave a silky chuckle. You have to sleep sometime, Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight laid her head on her hooves.

The ones you called friends. You want to hurt them, don't you?

No reply.

You want to serve them as they've served you... deep down... don't you?

'Yesss.' Twilight's answer was a drawn-out hiss.

Then it's time. We must fully become one. Twilight Sparkle must join with the Dark. Only then can we defend ourselves against a world which has hurt and rejected us.

Twilight raised her head. 'I hear you.'

Then agree to become one with me. That is all you have to do.

'No.'

What? The reply was a snarl of baffled malice.

'I said no.' Twilight clambered to her feet. 'I might want to do bad things but that doesn't mean I'm going to. My friends are...' she drew a deep breath. 'They're not perfect, but neither am I.'

Little fool. The anger of the Dark was a lash of pain across her temples. I've offered you power and you refuse to take it.

Twilight shook her head. 'I don't want power.'

Liar. I've seen to the very heart of you. Why else did you hide yourself away all these years, rejecting the very thing you now cling to? Why else – but to make the name Twilight Sparkle supreme in Equestria?

Twilight had no answer to that.

I see that I'm right. I know what you dream of.

'Maybe I do. But not like this – never like this.'

Very well. The Dark's reply was a silky drawl. Maybe I should look elsewhere. Maybe another will not be so foolish.

'You.. what?' Twilight's pupils contracted in panic.

Maybe I should take one of those friends you care so much about.

'You wouldn't.' Twilight backed further into her corner. 'You couldn't.'

Do not deceive yourself. Your mind is clear, Twilight Sparkle, and your will is focussed. Your knowledge is deep and broad. Yet I was able to subvert you with ease. Which one of them should it be, now? The Dark's voice took on the quality of a cat playing with a mouse. Honest Applejack, maybe? Think of her as the master of lies. Or Rainbow Dash, the great betrayer. The images poured into Twilight's mind. Her friends, twisted into shapes of haughty contempt and black malice. Or Rarity. She would enslave all Equestria. Or Pinkie Pie. Think of her as the spirit of madness. Or kindly Fluttershy. She would make the world into her torture chamber. Or maybe... your little dragon brother Spike.

'No!'

Then we are in agreement.

Twilight nodded as the tears poured down her cheeks. 'Spare them. Take me.'

Then say these words...

She screwed her eyes tight shut. 'Just do it and be done with it.' As she felt the first warning coldness seep into her limbs, as her mind struggled like a fly trapped in amber, with the corner of her being which was still free she was thinking: It can't change who I am. Deep down – I'll still be me.

Yet it was not so. She wept in helpless anguish as the compass needle in her soul swung inexorably round, as day turned to night. And all the while the laughter echoed in her ears; hateful, mocking, triumphant.

#

Luna stood on the throne room balcony of Canterlot Castle as the moon sailed its stately course through the sky. How strange to think of those days, not long past. The Moon had been her prison for a thousand years and yet already her time there seemed like a dream.

More like a nightmare.

As they had so often recently, Luna's thoughts turned to Twilight Sparkle. What a strange yet brilliant creature. Celestia obviously thought the world of her.

Luna's lips thinned.

It wasn't like it had been easy. Finding out just how much things had changed. Dealing with the fears of ponies everywhere. She was trying so hard, why could nopony see it?

Tia wasn't a lot of help.

There, she'd admitted it. Set it out in her mind.

With Tia it was 'always patience my sister' or 'you must have a little faith.' It was not like they'd actually talked. Not like they used to. Before Night Mare Moon came and everything changed.

Luna drummed her hooves on the balcony. She would have to tell Celestia what was going on, sooner rather than later. Well tell her she would – when she was sure of the facts. Thus resolved, Luna felt her spirits lighten. She gazed up at the moon with a benign eye.

'My sister, will you please join me in the throne room?' it was partly a distant voice, partly a mental communication.

'Of course, Tia. I'll come directly.' Luna turned and trotted with equanimity back inside. The moment she set foot on the marble flags of the throne room she knew something was wrong. The crystal lights were dimmed. The guards and petitioners and courtiers were absent. Celestia herself was standing, not on the royal dais but a little to one side, her back turned.

'Celestia, has something happened?'

'Luna.' The golden voice was so cold and distant. 'Luna, you have accessed the black archive.'

A sickening pit opened beneath Luna's hooves. She blinked rapidly, masking her sudden fear with the greatest effort. How had Celestia found out? She forced lightness into her tone. 'So I have. What of it?'

'You have assayed magic to summon the powers of darkness.'

'I admit, it does look suspicious. But sister, I assure you, there is a good explanation...'

'I'm afraid it is too late for that.' Celestia turned to face her. The Sun Princess's face was hardened into that implacable mask that Luna remembered so well.

She took a stumbling step backwards. 'Celestia, what do you mean?'

'For the crime of consorting with the ruinous powers there is only one possible punishment.'

'Tia, I didn't. I wouldn't, I would never...' Luna shook her head. Panic and outrage fought in her heart.

'I wish I could believe you. But for the sake of the realm you leave me no choice.'

Luna took another step backwards. Tears gathered in her eyes. 'Tia, no. Sister, don't do this. I'm begging you.'

Celestia spread her wings. She seemed to glow in the darkness with a pale and merciless light. Blind, stupid justice. 'Luna Tenebra, I banish you. Leave this place.'

It was like a hoof kicking her in the face. Luna's heart froze. She bowed her head to the floor. Then she looked up. Her cheeks were dry, her eyes were blazing. Her voice, when she spoke, expressed a cold fury. 'Very well, Tia. If that is your command.'

'It is. Go, Luna. Go now.'

Princess Luna turned and, with head held high, walked from the throne room. Her hoofprints made a harsh clangour as they beat down on the marble floor. She broke into a run, leaping off the balcony. Her power flared and she disappeared into the night.

Celestia folded her wings. For a time she stood motionless as a marble statue. Then she raised her head. 'Constable, attend me.'

The throne room doors swung open. The Grand Constable of Canterlot, clad in full armour, galloped in followed by a squadron of veteran guards. 'Your Royal Highness, we heard voices. Then Princess Luna just left. Is everything all right...'

'Vambrace.' Celestia cut him off; an uncharacteristic display of rudeness. 'Evacuate the castle. Do this at once.'

The dismay was clear to see on his face. 'But, Celestia. Who is to preserve the safety of your person...'

'Do my bidding.' The command of a goddess, when heard, cannot be denied. Vambrace and his guards wheeled as one and galloped from the throne room. Celestia heard the distant voices and hoofbeats echoing through the castle. 15 minutes, she thought. If the drill was up do date – and she always made a point of seeing that it was.

Sure enough, 15 minutes later the last echoes died away. Celestia gave a great sigh.

Gentle father, loving mother. I need your wisdom now – your strength.

But there was only her.

Celestia left the throne room. Her hooves beat an unhurried tattoo on the stone floor. There was a gallery outside which ran the length of the main hall. Stained glass windows showed scenes from Equestrian history. At its further end was a door, protected by magic that only the Most High could unlock.

Celestia inserted her horn in a socket in the door. There was a complicated series of clicks and whirs. She stepped back, apparently satisfied. This done, she summoned a different sort of magic. The tip of her horn lit with the very subtlest spells of detection. She swept her head back-and-forth, sending the searchlight beam of her magical awareness this way and that.

In the throne room, nothing. In the corridors and chambers and state rooms, nothing. Twilight Sparkle's tower room was empty.

And so, the Royal Archive. A suspicion had begun for form in the Princess's mind. With customary discipline she forced it down. She walked through the plain stone archway. The archive was dark – the only light provided by scattered lamps which cast deep purple shadows. Celestia's muzzle wrinkled, taking in the scent of dusty centuries, and another, much more immediate.

A pool of candle light lay at the far end of the archive. A slight lilac figure was bent over a book, horn aglow. There was an occasional rustle as the pages turned. The Princess advanced. 'Twilight Sparkle, how is it with you?' The lilac figure's ear twitched but it did not reply.

'You did not hear the evacuation order?'

'You know me, Princess. Buried in my books as usual. I guess I just wasn't paying attention.'

'You should not spend so much time studying, Twilight.'

'So you always tell me.'

Closer now, Celestia could see books strewn about the floor. Black books, ancient and evil, taken out of the hidden archive and openly displayed. Celestia's true sight showed something else. There were dozens of magical tripwires, silvery and intangible, criss-crossing the archive floor. No doubt they formed the trigger mechanism for a trap.

She halted, her hooves mere inches from the nearest tripwire. 'Twilight, turn round. Let me see you.'

The lilac unicorn turned slowly. The motion sent her into deep shadow. She came forwards with head down. Then the thing which had been Twilight Sparkle looked up.

The eyes were now cat-slitted, glowing a cold blue.

The Sun Princess gave a great cry and reared, hooves slashing at the air. 'Twilight Sparkle, alas! Why must this happen? Why are the things I love taken by the darkness?'

'I think it's a bit late for regrets, don't you, Princess? That voice... it was Twilight, but twisted into a mockery of itself. The horn and the magic – now that she dared to see with the true sight she could perceive the dark power radiating in waves, almost like a physical force.

'Oh, and it's not Twilight Sparkle any more. It's Darkshine, now.'

Celestia's muzzle twisted in contempt.

'Hmm.' The being which called itself Darkshine nodded, considering. 'I see you dismissed Luna.'

Celestia's eyes narrowed. 'I know what I did.'

'What you did, Princess, was get rid of the one pony who knows me best.'

Celestia was silent.

'She hates you now. You do know that, don't you?'

'Enough of this!'

'Hah, this is fun!' Darkshine took a step forwards. A pale aura appeared around the Princess. It was a subtle glow, merely a fraction of the solar power which was hers to command. Darkshine halted in her tracks. She tilted her head and gave a quizzical frown. 'You actually want to take me on, Celestia? I mean, really?'

'Please may I talk to Twilight Sparkle.'

'She's not here!' Darkshine slammed a forefoot on the floor. The lights flickered.

The Princess stood still and silent, a pale ghost. Then; 'What do you want?'

'You know what I want, Celestia.'

'Monster. You will be defeated, like you were before. I got my sister back from you.'

Darkshine's grin widened. 'But she's not the same, is she? I got inside her, Celestia. What I did to her – is forever.'

Celestia's horn blazed with sudden fury.

'I'd forgotten now easy you were to manipulate, Celestia. I control you through the things you love, yes?'

The solar magic flared, sun-bright. Celestia's vast intellect struggled to reign in the volcanic heat of her anger. It was then that Darkshine made her master stroke. The need-it-want-it spell, cast on the grimoire on the table. You want this, it whispered in Celestia's ear. This book holds the key. The magic spell, the solution to all your problems. You just have to take it.

Celestia's pupils expanded. She took a step forward. Her hoof brushed the tripwire. The trap was sprung. Shafts of darkness caught her, pierced her, held her in place. The Princess hung suspended, flowing mane and tail motionless. Teardrops sparkled around her eyes.

'The stasis spell. I wasn't sure that would work.' Darkshine circled her captive. 'I can't hurt you, Celestia. But I can hold you. You can hear me, can't you?'

The Princess's eyes moved in her head.

'Now I'm off to deal with the Elements of Harmony. Don't go anywhere.' Humming a tune under her breath, Darkshine left the archive.

#

Rarity surveyed the rack of finished dresses with satisfaction but little else. The fact was, no love had gone into the making of these. It had been a rushed job which simply had to be finished, darling. And by the end of it she'd become thoroughly sick of diamante ribbon.

There were times when The Business simply wasn't fun.

Rarity sighed and arched her back like a cat. There was a series of minuscule cracks and pops as her vertebrae rearranged themselves. One day, she knew, RSI and muscle strain would likely force her to slow down. But that was in the future. Right now, she needed a cup of tea. Something floral.

There was a noise from the back of the work room – a thumping sliding sound. Rarity spun around, round-eyed in the gloom. 'Goodness me, is someone there? Sweetie Belle, didn't I send you to bed an hour ago? Opalescence, is that you?'

Twilight Sparkle stepped out from behind a rack of dresses. As yet, she was deep in shadow. Rarity relaxed with a smile. 'Twilight, darling. You positively gave me the shock of my life. But how on earth did you get in here?'

Twilight cocked her head to one side, like a bird.

'Never mind about that.' Rarity gave a very sweet smile. 'I'm so glad I've finally got a chance to talk to you one-on-one. I simply must apologise for the way I acted earlier. I was under a deadline but that's simply no excuse for sending you away like that...'

'I'm afraid it's too late for that.'

Rarity's smile froze. 'Too late? Whatever do you mean?'

Twilight approached with slow deliberate steps. As she came into the circle of lamplight Rarity saw her eyes. 'Great Celestia.' With a supreme effort the white unicorn mastered her shock. 'I'm guessing this can't be good.'

'Well, you guessed right there.' So like Twilight; yet so unlike.

Rarity was many things, but stupid wasn't one of them. Despite the nightmarish shock of confronting such a thing all alone in the middle of the night her wits were very much at work. 'Twilight... is this something to do with what happened... today... with all of us?'

'That's a part of it.'

'Twilight my dear, can't you see how you've been played? All those unlikely disasters – none of that was natural. Somebody managed all of that.' Twilight advanced again. Rarity edged backwards. 'Arranged it all specifically to mess us a around.'

'It was me.'

'Excuse me?' Rarity's rump fetched against the work bench. She could retreat no further.

'Like I told you. It's too late.'

Rarity's horn flared. A pair of scissors leaped from the bench and took up guard in front of her. 'Twilight, I'm warning you!' Then the scissors sank slowly to the floor. 'Twilight, whatever has happened, your friends can help you. We're the Elements of Harmony, remember?'

'Hush now.' Twilight's voice assumed a crooning, almost gloating tone. 'The final night is coming. Nothing can stop it.'

'Stay back... please...' Rarity's shriek climbed an octave and was suddenly cut off.

#

Fluttershy could feel the animals' fear. The chooks were huddled in their coop, to scared to lay. The woodland creatures trembled in their burrows.

The trees rustled, their branches stirred by a sudden chilly breeze. Fluttershy's eyes narrowed. Whoever – or whatever – was upsetting her friends, she was going to find them and make them stop doing it.

Twilight stepped out from behind a nearby privet bush. Fluttershy turned to face her friend... and froze in place. Not a word was said but the yellow pegasus plainly saw the sickness radiating from what had once been Twilight Sparkle.

'No,' said Fluttershy calmly. 'You don't want them, do you? You want me.' And with a bound she was off – a blur of yellow speed skimming between the trees and rocks. In her mind she had only the vaguest of plans; find the others, make sure they were safe. Then maybe Celestia would know what to do. She had to know.

A bolt of blue power struck her amidships. It sent her crashing to the ground in a senseless heap.

#

Applejack lay in bed, wide awake. Ponies didn't appreciate that she was the type to worry. But worry she did; about the farm, about her family, and about her friends.

'Gosh-darn it. This is futile.' Applejack clambered out of bed. As ever, when awake at dead of night, the first thing she did was check on her family. She looked in on each of them in turn; her strong and beautiful brother, her shining star of a sister, the grandam who was simply the best and the wisest soul in Equestria. All were deep in honest slumber.

'Just like Ah should be. To hay with it.' Applejack stepped out of the back door. She stood peering into the dark depths of Sweet Apple Acres' orchard while the night air caused the faintest of shivers to run through her hide.

A black shape, no more than a blur against the fainter lightness of the night sky, passed overhead. It was so close she could feel the draught of its passage. She reared up, muzzle pointing skywards – whereupon she was struck in the small of the back. She and her assailant tumbled over and over, coming to rest in a heap.

'Rainbow Dash! You... you...'

Dash got off her with a throaty chuckle. 'Gotcha good, didn't I?'

'Rainbow, this is not the time. What are you doin' so late at night, anyhow?'

'I dunno, AJ.' Dash sank into a crouch and glared around. 'Something just doesn't feel right.'

'You thought so too, huh?' Applejack dusted off her hat.

'The events of today were no coincidence.'

'It's Twilight, ain't it.' Dash looked round in shock and she knew she was right. 'She was acting weird – like she was hiding something.'

'Well maybe she's not the only one. Hiding something.' Rainbow Dash gave her a look. Closer now, she could smell the aroma of Dash's fresh sweat, mixed with bruised grass.

Applejack reared back, suddenly indignant. 'Now what the hay's that supposed to mean?'

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. 'Nothing.'

'You were insinuatin'.'

'Was not.'

' You were suggestin' I'm hiding something.' Applejack jabbed with an emphatic forehoof.

'You said it. Not me.' Rainbow had assumed that familiar infuriating grin.

'Rainbow, I swear, sometimes there is just no talking to you! Am I the kind of pony who conceals things? Who lies about things?'

Rainbow Dash flipped onto her back, tucked her hooves behind her head and hovered in space. 'Well, duh. Yeah.'

'Alright, so there was that one time. But that was a lie of omission which is a totally different thing.'

'If you say so.' Dash shrugged.

'I surely do.' Applejack stamped a forehoof.

'AJ, it is totally possible to lie to yourself.'

'Is that so. Well, you want to start somethin', Rainbow Dash?' Applejack's voice became high and strained. 'That why whenever I come forward you jus' back right off?'

'Hold it.' Dash planted a hoof square on Applejack's mouth. 'I heard something. Did you hear something?' AJ's eyes and cheeks bulged. She shook her head.

'It's over there. C'mon.' And just like that the pegasus was off, flying with reckless speed through the night-time orchard.

'Hold on there. Gosh-darn it.' Applejack launched into a fast gallop. She could just see ahead of her the outline of her friend, an inky blur speeding between the apple trees. Suddenly a lance of blue power knocked Rainbow Dash from the sky, sent her spinning to earth to land with an almighty crash. Applejack yelled in alarm and put on a desperate burst of speed. She found Dash lying on her back, smoking.

'Oh, sweet Celestia... Rainbow...' AJ was too stunned for the moment to do anything more than stare down at her friend.

The pegasus's magenta eyes flickered open. 'AJ, it hurts.'

'Just rest easy there, sugarcube. Ah gotta make sure you're OK.'

'No, you have to get away. AJ, she's still out there.'

'What? Who? Where?' Applejack looked wildly around, then saw the figure watching them from a short distance away. Her eyes filled with tears. 'Great Celestia. Say it ain't so.'