• Published 24th Oct 2014
  • 310 Views, 1 Comments

Travel for the North Jewel - Barrfind



The adventures of ponies who look for a legendary gem.

  • ...
 1
 310

Chapter 1: Message and Preparation.

Chapter 1: Message and Preparation.
“Tristis Litterarum, Initium Itineris.”
“Sad letter, travel starts.”


It is summertime and sunset in the peaceful town of Ponyville.
At the Boutique Carousel, Rarity in a rush leaves her bedroom, and goes down the stairs, with her travel bags on. She goes into kitchen, and finds her note paper and pen with ink. After writing a message, she leaves it on the table. Locking the door behind her, she quickly leaves her house in the direction of where she believed she needed to go.

It is now noon and there’s somepony knocking on the library door.
“Spike! Open doors and check who's knocking!” Somepony yells from upstairs, “Spike!? Och, where is this little dragon when I need him?” A purple unicorn goes to the ground floor and opens the door.
Behind the door is standing an orange earth pony.
“Applejack? What happen? You look nervous.” The purple unicorn asks.
“Twilight! I’ve just been in Rarity's House for my dress for the Grand Galloping Gala, but she was not there.” Applejack replies, shaking a little.
“What? And that’s why you’re so nervous? Maybe she’s just gone to the shops? Seriously Applejack I have to think…” Twilight says with a stern look on her face.
“No Twilight. When I got in and like always the bell over the doors rings. Nopony answered, so I went to the kitchen to check if maybe somepony was there. Nopony was. Then I saw this letter on the table.”
“Letter? “ Twilight asks, surprised.
“Yes, a letter.” Applejack says with nod. “When you read it, you will understand.”
Applejack gives Twilight a letter. She opens it and it read...

My dear Barrfind.

When you read this, I'm very far away right now. I don't want you to worry or expose you on this expedition. This is only my business and my desire and I did not want to expose you for my caprice. I went in search of a unique jewel. I will not say what jewel because I'm sure you will try to find out about it and find out where to look for me. Immediately go after me, and I can not afford that. Don't even try to go after me, For sure I will be alright. When I find what I am looking for, I will come back. Safe and sound, so don't worry. Say hi to the fillies for me and if my sister asks, tell her I’ve gone away for business, she will understand.

I love you
Rarity

“Beautiful.” Twilight says, “When Barrfind reads this, it will shake him.”
“Shake me?” They suddenly hear from behind a corner of the library.
“Barrfind!?” exclaimed the two fillies with surprise and slight fright at the sight of a white unicorn with in the middle of a black mane, where the dark-violet.
“Did something happen?” he asked with surprise, approaching them, “Why do you look so frightened? Forgive me if I scared you, I just walked by and heard you two. So I decided to say hello.”
“No, we're just so, uh…” Twilight began to explain.
“Twilight wanted to ask, what are you doing so early in Ponyville sugarcube?” Applejack stopped her stuttering and frustrated friend. “Typically, at such time you are in the castle of the Order.”
“Oh, in generally it’s like that, but sometimes I make myself break. You know, I thought I'd make Rarity a surprise and could take her somewhere? From long time we haven't been anywhere, and I’m sure she will be pleased when see me to take her to restaurant.
“Certainly she will pleased, but she’s not at home at the time because goes somewhere. Just back from her” said Applejack.
“Uh-huh. Well, maybe when she comes back. And thats thing to shake me? What was that?” Asked at what both fillies looked at each other anxiously.
“What? Tell me if it's something important - he said, looking at them carefully.”
“Emm ... So ... Applejack? - Twilight looked expectantly at her friend.”
“Ow ok. So as I tell Twilight, I was at Rarity after the gala dresses.”
“Gala will be soon. For sure you cannot wait, right?”
“Yes, a lot. But back to the matter. As I walked into the boutique and the bell rang above the door, she didn’t come as usual.“
“You said she had to go out somewhere.”
“Exactly sugarcube. I went into the kitchen and on the table I have see a letter. I decided to read it.”
“Well, I understand why you did it. She wrote when will return?”
“Not really“ - she said, biting her lip.
“How so? Show me the letter“ - he demand and Twilight gave him a letter, which promptly began to read. The closer to the end of the letter, the more the expression of his mouth was getting blurry. As he finished, he looked at Twilight.
“Twilight, do you know anything about this jewel? Surely she had ask you about this. She had to be here for the book, which she learned about this jewel.“
“Hmm... Come inside“ - she said backing to the tree.
They both went inside after her, Twilight went to the shelves and began to browse through the books.
“I do not remember too well, but she should be here somewhere. Ha!“ - Exclaimed after a moment.
“Here It is“ and pulled out a medium-sized book, black with a thick cover and put it on the table.
Barrfind get closer to look.
"The legendary jewels" - he read the title aloud.
“Well, I could expect that. Soon it’s gala and she would look amazing with some legendary jewel on neck. Just a question, why she didn’t say anything? I'd love for it sought such a gem.“
“Thats the thing, she didn’t want to expose you sugarcube for her whims.“
“Me? Expose? I was in the royal guard, and I know the combat spells and can fight with melee weapons. I'm literally ready for anything. At any danger, and in particular for her!“ - Exclaimed nervously.
“She certainly knows this best, but still comes here, she wanted to do it by self“ - told him Applejack.
“Mmf. Well, yes, pride. That I can understand. But anyway I'll go after her, even at the end of the world if I have to. I do not know what I would do, if something happened to her, and I had to tell her parents and sister about that...“ - Not finished just lowered his head and closed his eyes.
“Died?“ both fillies ask.
He straightened up, opening his eyes, which could see the sadness and he nodded.
“Exactly“ he said. “It's simply not an option. Help me find what's gem she looks for. She mention something in passing?“
“Yes, some time ago, she came to the library and asked me about a book with legendary jewels. So I gave her this one. I asked what she was looking, she said that some information about the jewel of the north.“
He looked at the table of contents.
“Hmm... Jewel of north on page 58.“
Both mares stood on both sides of colt, when he found the right page and began to read the text with him.
"The legendary jewel of north called the Azure Crystal or Azure gem, apparently located somewhere in the mountains of the frozen North far north of the town Galloping Gorge, deep in a cave protected by terrible monsters and traps. Nobody, however, it never really had see it, and it's all probably a fairy tale, and the usual rumors not based on facts, but who knows, and this gem exists. Just waiting to be discovered by some brave pony? Apparently this is the most beautiful jewel in the world, which shines a beautiful inner blue light, which is amazing, and the deceitfulness of anyone who looks at him."
When they finished reading, both mares looked at Barrfind.
“So what?“ Asked Twilight.
“What are you going to do?“ - added Applejack.
“What do you think? Immediately setting off to the north towards Vanhoover, to galloping Gorge. Then on to the Frozen North. First I have to jump to the castle to prepare.“
Twilight began to look for something on the shelves.
“Wait a minute. For sure we will need a map.“
“We?“ He asked with surprise, as Applejack looked at him with resentment, and Twilight interrupted the search.
“And what do you think, sugarcube?“ Pointing at him accusingly hoof. “That you will alone looking for her? It's your girlfriend, and our friend. We will not let you alone set off on to look her.“
He looked at them eagerly.
“But try understand that I will myself find her faster, and you only just slow me down. In general it is not known how long it may take. Twilight“ pointed look at the purple unicorn. “Who will take care of the library and Spike? And you Applejack?“ Turned his gaze toward the orange mare. “Who will take care of the farm? You will leave a brother and sister, and granny Smith to move on a dangerous journey?“
Both mares looked first at each other, and soon after on the floor and at the same time they said.
“No.“
“I thought so, and I'm ready for something like this and remember this ring I gave Rarity?“
Mares have looked at him in surprise.
“Yes, we remember. But what have sth in common with that?“ - Asked Twilight.
“That ring it is a magical“ - responded to what Twilight immediately showed interest.
“Magic? But what's he doing?“
“I enchant it, I always will be able to find an owner of this ring.“
Both the was delighted at the news.
“So what's it sugarcube? It’s then very simple task.“
“Thats the snag. Some limitations, however, that spell have. I can cast spell two times a day, and even coverage is also quite short.“
Twilight looked at him questioningly.
“Then what exactly is the range?“
“From two to three miles?“ - he answered and Twilight nodded.
She turned around and continued to search the shelves. Applejack stamped her hoof.
“I wouldn’t let you go alone“ - she said angrily. “You have to take us whether you like it or not.“ Added, tapping his chest.
He sighed sadly.
“Applejack. I want myself look her because ...“ he explain, looking into the Applejack eyes who stared at him frowning mouth.
“Because?“ She asked .
“Because I would like myself to save her. Spend time with her, when I catch up her .“
Applejack first looked at him blankly, but then nodded.
“Good. Now I understand. You can go alone after her, but ...“ she added menacingly.
“You must take care about her, any single hair can’t fall of her head, you understand?“
He shook his head.
“It is clear, thank you.“ He said smiling.
“All right. In that case, useful to you some supplies. I'll get something from the farm, I'll be back soon“ she said, walking out the door and left the tree.
In the meantime, Twilight turned away from the shelves of a smile on the face with map in her magical powers.
“I found it. Okay, now let's see“ - came to the table and spread her. “You're in quite a long way, and although we knew how many hours Rarity is on the way, we must calculate where she should be now.“
“Hmm ... Something around six in the morning I woke up and she was still asleep beside me. I got up quietly and decided that I will eat breakfast in the castle.“
“She could pretend to be asleep and immediately prepare. She wrote the message and left the train.“
“In this case, it is in some way already. Pff... In six hours?“
“If she was lucky and get the morning train to Canterlot, and then by train to Galloping Gorge must be half way to the goal.“
“To the Frozen North“ - said grimly. He looked anxiously at Twilight. “I do not like it, those sites can be full of dangers.“
“I hope you will find Rarity before something happens to her.“
“Me too. I already have a travel plan. Mind if I borrow map?“
“But of course. Are you sure you want her to go alone?“ asked to be sure.
“Yes, Twilight. I love her, and you are also her and my friends. I cannot allow you to expose themselves and you hear what I said Applejack. I'll be fine as always. As soon as Applejack come back, setting off to the castle to take what I would need“ he explained.
The library door suddenly opened and pink earth pony enter the library.
“Hey, what are you doing?“ said Pinkie, bouncing her way with a grin.
“Hi Pinkie“ responded both unicorns .
“I'm leaving on a trip. I have something to do at some place“ Barrfind said quietly.
“Oh! That rock on. I have to organize so long party“ said Pinkie, bouncing up and down even harder.
“I think we don’t have time for this Pinkie. I'm sorry but I leave immediately“ he said, looking at a happy pony.
Mare do sorrow face and stopped bouncing.
“You couldn’t say before?“
“Oh, I only just found out that I had to leave. When I get back, you can organize a happy return party. What do you think?“ He asked with grin.
Pink pony immediately brightened and began jumping up and down again.
“Yes it will super party. You'll see. And when are you coming back?“
“Well I not sure. When I finish what I have to do? Do not worry about it. When I return, then you calmly prepare party.“
“Yes! It will just amazing. There will be balloons, cake, cookies, punch and games, and guests of course“ at the same time Applejack came with a bag.
“Oh, did you know that Barrfind is leaving?“ Asked Pinkie bouncing to AJ.
“Yes Pinkie. I brought him a bag of supplies for the road.“
“Oh! Maybe I should bring something for you too. Some cakes, and other delicacies.“
“Em ... Pinkie, you don't have to. But thank you. Thank you Applejack. That I'm going now, the sooner I leave the sooner I get back“
They all leave library and stand before it.
“Good luck“ Twilight said hugging white unicorn.
Applejack winked at him with a smile.
“Come back soon, sugarcube.“
“Yes, exactly. Come back as soon as possible to the party of all time!“ Pinkie exclaimed, jumping up and down.
“I'll try“ he say with hoof waved goodbye, then flashed and disappeared.
“Well, we must wait now, and I have to collect the apples on the farm. See you later girls“ said Applejack moving toward the farm.
“Yes, and I have to plan this party a happy return, I can not wait“ she said Pinkie moving in leaps towards confectionary Sugar Cube Corner.
“See you later girls!“ Twilight exclaimed, waving.
"I hope that all will end well, and he will find her. Good luck and get back as soon as possible, both " she thought with a smile on the face, then turned and walked into the library, closing the door behind her.

Castle Order Paladins of Harmony between Ponyville and Canterlot.
Bright light flashed and Barrfind appeared in the middle of the courtyard. Immediately went to the castle on the way past the cadets practicing diligently with paladins. He walk in to measure passed by the mane corridor, then up the stairs straight into another corridor where there was a door to his room. While in his room he threw the bag on the ground beside the bed.
It was not long when behind door was heard hasty clatter of hooves. The door to the room opened and a unicorn with a light blue coat and dark blue mane and tail come in.
Crystal was a trusted friend when he was royal guard and now he is Barrfinds right hoof, Senior Paladin Crystal Heart. As usual, he was in his steel armor, designed specifically for senior paladins, but this time without the helmet.
“You're back already? I thought you taking Rarity for dinner“ he asked walking over to him.
“It was meant to be but something happened and I had to give up. Could you help me put my armor? I’m in hurry“ he said, and waved his hoof towards the mannequin.
“Of course.“ He replied with a nod and went to stand on the great work was dark golden armor made by the best blacksmiths in Equestria. He removed it with his telekinetic magic and walked with her to the white unicorn with the intent to help.
“You're going to ...?“ He asked.
“To the north“ answered assuming helmet on his head.
“Are you leaving yourself?“ Asked by helping him with armor.
-“Yes, it's a private matter. Take care of everything here when I'm gone“ said checking fastener.
“Of course, you can count on me as always“ Crystal replied with a smile. “Can I ask what you're going north, and where exactly?“
“Of course, I’m going after Rarity“ said, straightening up and looking at Crystal.
Crystal looked anxiously at the white unicorn.
“Somepony kidnapped her?“
“No. Not at all but ...“ Lowered his head closing his eyes briefly. After a moment, picked it up, looking at his friend.
“Eh ... She went in search of a jewel. Legendary jewel that would decorate her neck on the gale. As if that was not enough she is the most wonderful designer and seamstress in Equestria. He would have the most beautiful dresses at the gala. She has to go in one of the most dangerous places in the country to look for some trinkets. Well, she has talent to search them. Well, a weakness for them, of course too.“
“So you're after her to ...“
“To help in the search and make sure she returns to home safe and sound.“
“Why do not you take me? Or one of the paladins to help you?“
“With a very simple reason. You must be here to take care of the cadets and the castle. As for the other? It just does not want to expose them to fix their own problems, you know?“
Crystal nodded in understanding.
“Anything else you need?“ he asked.
“Let's see, the armor. Bags packed and on the back. Applejack food and map from Twilight and a few potions, as well as rope and compass. That will be all. Ah, purse. Well“ he turned and walked over to the cabinet next to the bed. With the drawer pulled out a bag which threw the bag. “Well, now everything. So see you later“ he said walked toward the exit.
“Good luck, I'll be here all for your return“ Crystal assured him.
“Certainly, I trust you completely, my friend. You never let me down“ he said leaving the room.
Crystal Heart looked at him a moment and then left, closing the door behind him. When Barrfind step the courtyard, he teleported.


Meanwhile, the train that was two-thirds of the way to the galloping Gorge. Sat alone in the compartment being mare unicorn with a purple mane and wondrous tail. She looked at the landscape sliding window.
"I hope they will not worry too much about me. Parents, friends, Barrfind. Just as he finds out it certainly will do everything to find me. For sure he will wonder why? Why? Why I do not tell him that? Sigh... All in all I could but now it's too late. I'll be fine and I'll do it myself but I will miss them anyway, and him will especially" she took off from her horn gold ring with a stunning ruby and smiled.
"I remember when he gave it to our fourth date. He said that this ring will always help him find me, wherever I was. Although I have no idea how this ring would help him." she set up it again and continued contemplation of the landscape outside the window.


Canterlot, train station.
There was a flash and on the station appeared Barrfind. Immediately went to the cashier.
“When the next train to the galloping Gorge?“ he asked quickly.
“For about ten minutes.“
“Great, one ticket please.“
“Of course, it will be eight bits.“ Barrfind pulled out his pouch coin and paid for a ticket. He walked away from the ticket office to wait for the train. As soon as train arrived, he boarded and searched for free range. When he sat down, right now he only need to wait until train reach his goal.