• Published 21st Oct 2014
  • 508 Views, 4 Comments

Schism - FireclawDrake



Luna sets events in motion that will change Equestria forever. Will it be for the better?

  • ...
2
 4
 508

Chapter 1 - A Quiet Night

“We were meant to rule together, little sister. Will you accept my friendship?”

That had been two years ago. Two years since Nightmare Moon had managed to break free from her banishment on the Moon. Two years since The Elements of Harmony had purged the corruption and madness from the mind of Princess Luna. Two years since her older sister had said those words to her. She had wanted to believe them. Afterwards, she had ridden into Ponyville with her sister and been greeted joyously by the inhabitants.

Alone in her chambers, Princess Luna’s eyes trailed over to the garland of roses that a pair of fillies had laid around her neck. She remembered feeling as though she was going to burst into tears of joy at the acceptance the garland represented, and so she had the garland preserved as a reminder that, above all, her responsibility as a Princess was towards her subjects.

The weight of that responsibility hung heavily around her neck as she lay staring at the garland. Two years it had been since her return, barely a blink to one who had spent a thousand years alone on the moon… and yet, the bitterness had already begun to creep back. The bitterness that she had tried to bottle up and hide a thousand years ago, the very same that had drove her to the madness that was Nightmare Moon. It was something she could not allow to happen again, and not just for her own sake.

A quiet knock at the doors to her chambers snapped Luna out of her dark thoughts, turning her attention back to the present. She stood, her horn flaring gently to life as she pulled the double doors open, admitting the guest she had been expecting.

“Good evening, Captain Star.” the Princess intoned as the pegasus trotted in. Luna’s magic closed the doors behind her. There was a small blue glow around the door as Luna enchanted it to muffle any sound. Her windows had received the same treatment earlier in the evening. The muffling spell was something that was becoming very familiar to Luna in the recent months.

The Captain of the Night Guard, one Sapphire Star, was dressed in her full battle regalia, the navy blue of the Night Guard armour almost blending in with her coat. The Captain’s closely cropped teal mane was hidden under her helmet, and her tail was kept as short as decency would allow.

“Good evening, Princess.” the Captain’s cool reply came as she trotted up to where her Princess was seated, and began to sink into a bow.

Luna had repeatedly asked the Captain not to stand on ceremony when they were in private, but Sapphire Star was a consummate military mare. Luna simply flicked her tail in slight annoyance, having given up on that particular request. “Just the particulars of your report please, Captain.”

“As you wish, Princess,” Sapphire replied, fishing for a scroll that had been held under a wing and unfurling it. “As expected, the changelings only sought to capture ponies, and casualties were extremely low. A few dozen minor injuries, and a small number of cases where panicked ponies broke bones. There was a single case of magical overload as a unicorn in the city resonated negatively with the magic released by Princess Cadence and Capt-” Sapphire Star stopped herself short at this point, correcting herself. “Ahem, released by Princess Cadence and Prince-consort Shining Armour. There were no major injuries, and no deaths. There are still three missing mares, though at the advice of Twilight Sparkle, the caves beneath Canterlot are being searched as we speak. Structural damage to Canterlot itself is estimated between ten and twenty thousand bits.” The report was finished and the scroll snapped shut, and was tucked back away.

Luna breathed a sigh of relief. It had been necessary, really, but she still worried that her actions may have caused unwanted death. She ducked her head slightly, feeling that weight of responsibility lessen slightly. It was an illusion, of course, since this was just the first step, but for it to have gone so well…

“That is a great relief, Captain. We are to keep double watch tonight, as per Celestia’s suggestion.” The last word was said with a bit more venom that had been truly intended, a mark of the slowly rising tide of bitterness in Luna’s heart.

“Yes, Princess.” the Captain replied stonily. The pair shared a moment of silence as Luna’s eyes once again found their way back to the preserved garland.

The silence stretched on until Sapphire Star cleared her throat, pulling Luna back into the present once again. “Will there be anything else, Princess?”

Luna wrestled with the question for a moment, pondering whether or not to share her concerns with the pegasus. Sapphire Star knew what she was trying to do. She had expressed her unquestioning loyalty to the Princess several times before, which Luna felt was quite the opposite of the end goal. Luna desperately wanted to reach out to her Captain, to get some reassurance that the path they were walking was the correct one. Luna hesitantly opened her mouth to speak.

Sapphire Star interrupted her in a startling breach of decorum that took the Princess completely aback. “Princess, if you are having doubts now, there is still time to turn back. We can return the Elements and no one will be any the wiser.” The Captain’s voice did not betray much emotion, carefully trained as it was, and Luna again hesitated.

“Tell me, Sapphire Star,” Luna intentionally left off the rank this time, “and not as my Captain, not as a member of the Royal Guard, but as a citizen of Equestria: do you believe we are doing right by the people?”

It was Sapphire Star’s turn to flick her tail in annoyance at the question, and the annoyance crept into her voice as well. “Luna,” she began. Luna blinked. She had never, not once, heard her Captain address her so informally. “If I did not believe in what you… in what we are trying to do, I would have reported the treason to Princess Celestia as soon as you brought your plans to me.” For some reason, inexplicable even to herself, that made Luna break into a small, candid smile.

“Thank you, Captain. See to setting the watch. I must rest a moment or two, and then I will join you.”

* * *

Granite Clash was exhausted. His bunk creaked dangerously as he collapsed into it, his armour pinching at his forelegs slightly as he did, reminding him why you took off your armour before getting into bed. His brain was telling him to get up and take off the armour and store it properly, but his tired muscles were having none of that. As the two waged an internal war, Granite’s thoughts wandered back to the day that had just passed. A changeling attack, a member of the Royal Family kidnapped and replaced with the Changeling Queen, who had somehow managed to overcome Celestia herself.

He had been in the streets when the Changelings had broken through the screen protecting Canterlot, and he had done his level best to evacuate civilians and fight off those changelings he could recognize as being such. That is, of course, until one of the changelings had hit him with a spell that had enveloped him and a fellow Guard pegasus together in sticky green goop. Ugh, magic. If there was anything the slate-grey earth pony hated, it was magic.

Granite clambered out of bed, and began stripping of his golden-tinted armour. The armour was a bit bigger than standard issue as it was rare for an earth pony to be recruited into the Guard, and Granite was bulky even for an earth pony. The barracks around him was quiet, the usual buzz of conversation that filled the large room was non existent after the long - and for the Day Watch, frankly embarrassing - day. A cursory glance at a few of the pieces he had removed told Granite that he would need to polish the armour before he could be considered presentable. He pulled off his helmet and set it on the stand, running a hoof through the short-cropped white mane. Guard regulation prohibited wearing a long mane, but Granite’s was short even by the Guard’s standards.

He struggled slightly to remove his rear shin guards, his muscles complaining with fatigue. Even after the wave of magic had swept all the changelings from Canterlot and cast them flying out towards the Badlands, the Guard had been run off their hooves. On top of trying to account for all wounded and ensuring that none of the structural damage the city suffered during the attack was dangerous, Princess Celestia had ordered that the Palace be cleaned up so that the Royal Wedding could occur the very same day. A show to the citizens of Canterlot that, even in the dark times, there was always joy to be found in Equestria. A sentiment that had been punctuated by the wedding closing out with the explosion of a spectacular rainbow that spread across the landscape surrounding Canterlot. One of the pegasi guards had said something about a Sonic Rainboom, and Granite had merely grumbled and walked away. More magic, ugh.

With his armor properly stowed away, Granite fell back onto the bunk, which again threatened to collapse under the bulky pony. Though the sun had only gone down a scant few hours ago, sleep came quickly.

* * *

Up in a suite in a high tower of the palace, Twilight Sparkle couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t for lack of need, for the day of her brother’s wedding had left her completely exhausted. It wasn’t Spike’s quiet snores, nor was it the slow crackle of a dying fire in the fireplace. It wasn’t even the lovely view offered by the broad windows that was keeping her awake. It was the slow pacing back and forth, a habit she had when she was deep in thought. Her hooves made soft clopping sounds whenever her pacing took her off the shag carpet and onto the white marble floor. She was trying to work through a niggling thought that was burrowing into her brain, a thought that was telling her that something was wrong. Something about the days just gone past, some detail that she had noticed during the commotion of the changeling attack but had sorted away to be dealt with afterwards.

For the life of her, she couldn’t remember what it was though. She wanted to laugh at her own silliness. If it was so important, she should have wrote it down. Or at very least had Spike write it down. Duh.

Several more minutes of replaying the past few days events and she finally stopped pacing, her gaze going out the windows. Maybe some fresh air would help. She made for her balcony, trotting quickly and using magic to push the door open and shut it behind her.

The cool air of the night was a welcome feeling for the unicorn, and Twilight took a deep, full breath of the air. The cool scent was magnificently refreshing, and Twilight smiled, looking out across the expanse of foothills between Canterlot and her home in Ponyville. The landscape was gently coloured silver by the light of the full moon, and the lights of Canterlot (and, far in the distance, Ponyville) shone softly. It was an exceptional night. Canterlot’s weather patrol had ensured that there wasn’t a cloud in the sky for the wedding, and that meant the night was clear as well. The stars shone brightly in the inky black sky, and Twilight took a moment to just lose herself in the gentle beauty before her.

A shadow passed in front of the moon, breaking her reverie. The analytical part of her mind reasserted itself, searching for an explanation. Probably Luna or one of the Night Guard on patrol above the city. She breathed out happily, looking away from the sky and back towards her room. The peace of the nighttime had sunk into her during these few minutes she had spent in the cool air. Niggling thoughts banished into the night, Twilight turned and headed back inside, dousing the last flickers of flame before climbing contentedly into the luxurious palace bed. The warmth of the room and the bed was comforting in the wake of the cool night air, and Twilight was swiftly asleep.

* * *

Luna took a deep breath of the cool night air, closing her eyes for a moment to enjoy the sound of wind rushing by her ears and the feel of air flowing across her wings. All was peaceful in the City below her as she entered a slow dive. The watch was set - double the usual, of course - and the day had gone according to plan. Well, mostly anyway. The thing she feared most now was something like Discord breaking free once again. She had, after all, taken the Elements of Harmony. She couldn’t use them herself - the Elements were tied to their bearers until they passed on - but it was important that the bearers could not use them in the coming months. Discord should remain sealed for a very long time anyway, but it was still a risk, albeit a necessary one.

She opened her eyes, pulling out of the dive and levelling out. Her altitude was considerably lower now, and she could make out the small forms of her guardsmen patrolling the streets. While no curfew had been issued in the wake of the attack, there were still a meager few ponies out and about tonight. The citizenry was no doubt fairly shaken by the attack, despite the fact that the wedding had gone on as planned. That decision had been Celestia’s, and was done at least partially as a show of strength, Luna knew.

Something caught Luna’s eye in the hazy glow of the streetlamps as she slowly glid over Canterlot. A pony in a night guard uniform she didn’t recognize. Must be a new recruit, since Luna was very careful to meet all of the members of her Guard. The ponies of the Guard had signed up for a job that could be dangerous and even life-threatening at times. It was the least she could do to at least get acquainted with each of them. The pony in question is a white unicorn mare, who was patrolling briskly on the main thoroughfare which ran directly from the city gate up to the Palace proper. Her mane and tail were bright scarlet with a streak of silver through each. Her cutie mark was partially hidden underneath her armour, but Luna could see at least a few scarlet coloured stars as part of the design, and a silver shape of some sort as well.

There was a clink of metal on stone as Luna alighted next to the unicorn, folding her wings and falling into step with her. Or at least, would have fallen into step had the unicorn not immediately glanced over and froze. "P-princess?" she said, wide eyed with nervousness. So nervous that she forgot to bow. Which was honestly fine as far as Luna was concerned.

"Good evening, guardsmare. You can relax. I'm not here in any official capacity. Just to talk." Luna replied with a slight grimace. The unicorn relaxed, but only slightly. Luna made a conscious effort to shift her frown into a smile. “I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Luna.”

The unicorn was still nervous of course, but the smile and Luna’s casual introduction helped to put her at ease. Her voice was still a bit shaky when she replied. “M-moondancer. My name is Moondancer, Princess.” Luna could hear Moondancer’s hooves were fidgeting nervously on the cobblestones that make up Canterlot’s streets.

“Pleased to meet you, Moondancer.” Luna replied cooly, leaving off any mention of rank. A thousand years alone on the moon may have made her social skills rusty, but Luna could still tell that the unicorn was ill-prepared to be greeted by her Princess while on patrol. “Is this your first night on patrol?” she continued, keeping her smile in place.

“Yes, ma’am.” she replied promptly.

“It’s a wonderful night for a new start.” Luna said, the smile becoming genuine as she tossed her head skywards to indicate the clear and beautiful night. Here amidst the streetlamps of the city the stars were robbed somewhat of their wonder, but the lamps couldn’t hide them away completely.

Moondancer had fidgeted again, following Luna’s gaze towards the sky. She couldn’t stop her own smile from forming slightly at the sight, and she finally felt the last of her nervousness melt away. The Princess of the Night had always seemed… aloof and unapproachable to Moondancer.

“I suppose it is, Princess. I… wasn’t supposed to start for another week. I’m not done my training yet.”

Yes! thought Luna. She’s relaxing!

“That seems strange. Why are you out on patrol then?” Luna knew why - she barely had the guards to run a double shift, especially on short notice - but she wanted to continue the conversation.

“They… uh…” Moondancer reddened slightly, embarrassed at stumbling over her words in front of royalty. “I mean, Captain Sapphire Star came into the trainee barracks and asked for volunteers to go on patrol tonight. After what happened with the changelings today, I knew I had to do what I could to help. My little brother broke a foreleg in the attack, after all.”

Luna’s smile faltered slightly, a rush of guilt ruining what had been a perfectly lovely evening. It was so much easier to deal with when it was just numbers and figures being reported by her Captain. Here was an actual pony who had been affected by the attack, and what had her response been? To try and help. She could’ve requested leave to visit her injured family member, but she was here, trying to help in whatever way she could.

Luna took a moment to really feel the guilt. Ever since Nightmare Night, Luna had really tried to focus on the good that could come from negative emotions. She felt guilty about Moondancer's brother because she had been responsible for his injury, at least in part. Guilt was good, because it meant she was still in touch with her sense of right and wrong. She could use that guilt to drive herself to do better next time.

“I hope your brother heals well. Would you like me to walk with you on your route, Moondancer? The first night can be difficult.” Luna asked quietly, her mood sobered.

Moondancer wanted to ask what was bothering the Princess, but decided not to press her luck. “If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, Princess, I would like that very much.”

“Lead the way then. Maybe you can tell me how you earned your cutie mark while we walk.” Luna said, wanting to change the subject. It was one of the many cultural things that was different since her return. Before her banishment, the sharing of one’s Cutie Mark story was something deeply intimate. It was shared only with family and very close friends. These days though, it was something casual - a way to become acquainted more quickly.

“Er… well… you see, back when I was a foal, I really liked seeing the stars out at night...”

The patrol went smoothly for the pair, though eventually Luna had to leave Moondancer behind to go check in with her Captain, and attend to administrative duties.