• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 3,334 Views, 25 Comments

The Horse Whisperer - Manes



When Applejack takes Twilight to her stable, where her horses run freely, a strange incident happens. She finds that, like the frauds on television, she can actually hear its whisper.

  • ...
14
 25
 3,334

Chapter 1

The low temperature tainted the air, especially in the atmosphere of Sweet Apple Acres during the fall. A gentle wind rustled the leaves from the trees, producing a soothing song to the ear.

The Apple family had a nice building set apart and adapted for keeping horses around the field and away from the apple trees

“Applejack, how do you ride this?” Twilight shouted.

Applejack chuckled.“He doesn’t like his hairs being pulled.”

Twilight’s hands, full with fine, soft hair from the horse’s back. She clung for dear life as the horse rode around madly, her legs hovered in the air from the horse’s ironman speed. “Applejack!”

Meanwhile Applejack was having a chuckle watching Twilight fail at riding the stallion. “Calm him down or else he’ll ride you around like a bull in a rodeo!”

“I can’t hold onnnn!” Twilight shouted. Suddenly the horse bucked around, whinnying and snorting angrily and Twilight let out a whimper as her elbow bumped in the rough dirt.

Twilight!” Applejack jumped off her horse and ran to the fallen girl holding her elbow. “You okay?”

Twilight shook her head and showed Applejack her bloody scratch. “I don’t understand. I thought I had known what to do after reading about riding horses.”Twilight said, holding her dripping arm. “Ouch this really hurts!”“Heh, well you pulled on his hair. He really doesn’t like that,” Applejack said.

"I thought that’s how you ride a horse. It said so in the—"

“You can’t learn how to ride a horse in books alone, sugarcube. It’s gotta come from the heart. From experience. “

“I guess I should leave books out of this one, ” Twilight said, blushing.

“Also Rarity shouldn’t have decided your best choice was to wear a short coat.” Applejack rolled her eyes. “I swear that woman sometimes don’t think with her brain.”

True to Applejack’s words, the leather coat hung short, its elbow-length sleeves exposing Twilight’s forearm to the elements.
“It’s not Rarity’s fault, I could have easily said no. But I didn’t want to hurt her feelings so I had to say yes.”

Applejack’s hand gripped under Twilight’s armpit and lifted her up. “ Come on, let’s head back to the house and patch you up.”

“Thanks Applejack,” Twilight said with a smile. But her smile vanished as a glance was passed at the horse.

“No problem there, Sugarcube. Why, I bet with a little more practice, you’ll be riding like an Apple.”

Twilight held her arm as they began walked to the house in the distance. With a glance back at the stable, she couldn’t help to wonder if horses could speak to humans.


Twilight examined the strip of white material strapped around the area she fell on her arm. It had a tight grip around the wound, squeezing her arm so hard, her veins were visible. “Umm, Applejack?” She asked, gaining Applejack’s attention from the sink. “These bandages feel tighter than the ones back at home could you loosen it up a bit?”

“Oh heh, sorry about that. I must have tightened it too hard, curse my strength,” Applejack said, loosening the bandage a little. “There. Is that better?”

Twilight reassure her with a smile. A man in a hat maintaining an upright position stood near a brown horse inside the TV, the commercial grabbing her attention. Almost like he was speaking to her as he asked these simple questions that she could relate to: Wanna know what your horses are feeling? But don’t know how?

“Horse whisperer,” Twilight and the man said in unision.. Her eyes could not stop staring as the man leaned close to the horses here and pressed his lips on the ear as he whisper a couple of words to him. “Wow.”

But quickly, Applejack turned off the TV with the click of the button on the remote.

“Sorry, sugarcube. I don’t want that man’s lies poisoning your mind,” Applejack said. “Maybe some apple picking could help clear your mind.”

“Applejack, he spoke to that horse!” Twilight smile grew and her eyes beamed with excitement. “Oh this is interesting. I always wondered if I was in my pony form would your kind still understand me.” Her traced along her chins as she hummed. “Spike was able to be understood clearly so maybe he could understand me.”


“Now hold on a minute, Twilight” Applejack said. “Are you saying because you’re from a magical world that’s full of ponies, that you have a better chance at talking to regular horses?”

“It’s a possibility I have a better shot at of understanding him.” Twilight stood up and walked over to window, he could be seen roaming in the distance. She turned around with a determined look on her face. “Let me see if he could understand, Applejack. This could mean history if he could understand me, imagine the—”

“Okay, I get it, I get it. Talking to horses means a big deal to you.” Applejack’s hand fell onto Twilight’s shoulder. “You sure about this?”

“Positive.” Twilight said with a nod.

Applejack smiled. “Well alright, if you really want to. Then go on right here, sugarcube.”

“You mean it?” The excitement burning in Twilight’s eyes could be seen from where Applejack stood and she couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Why not? If my friend wants to talk to a horse, then I support ya all the way.”

Twilight ran and hugged Applejack. “Thank you so much!”

Applejack smiled and returned the hug, until Twilight nuzzled her with her cheek, and things went from fine to weird. “Umm, Twi? What are you doing?”

“Oh ummm, that’s not how you hug around here?” Applejack shook her head while blushing furiously. “Oh, I’m so sorry for doing that and—”

“Don’t worry about it! Well, I should get going then!” Applejack tipped her hat and walked out of the kitchen. “I’ll be out picking apples if you need anythin!”

Twilight smiled and turned to the window. The horse trotted all over the stable, he seemed happy, but Twilight couldn’t tell.
Her hand touched the window as she watched him.”Don’t worry friend, you won’t be alone anymore.” She turned around just in time to see Spike running towards her. “And I know just the place to do my research.” She looked toward the school in earnest, her hands clenching in anticipation. “The library!” she exclaimed.

Spike face palmed.

Author's Note:

You still with me through this madness?

Well you've got some balls!