• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 329 Views, 0 Comments

Epic Journey - Part 1 - Serious Contemplation



A story not of heroes trying to save the world, but of heroes trying to save themselves from it.

  • ...
 0
 329

Chapter One - To Slay a Beast

Epic Journey
Part 1 - Bats, Blades, and Bells

Chapter One - To Slay a Beast

o/\o/\o

There was once a time when a pony could walk though a town at noon and not hear his own hoof falls in the dust. Once, everypony would welcome a stranger with open hooves, share what they had even when what they had amounted to very little. Not any more though. Greed born from despair, the fear of lies and betrayal, caused ponies to only look out for their own.

Epic Journey had, of course, known this was the way for sometime now, but it never stopped him from trying to ask for assistance in every town he went to. Whether out of habit, desperation, or hope, not even he was certain any more. Perhaps all three were to blame. But this was it, his last chance to ask before he stepped into the lair of the beast, so he knew he had to take it, even if he already knew what the reply would be.

Stilling himself in the center of the small town, he called out for the final time in this place, "Hail citizens of Low Hill! My name is Epic Journey, and I am on an important mission. A mission to slay the Cave Beast said to dwell near here. I am looking for a place to rest or any supplies you can spare. I do not expect your hospitality for free, of course, and will give you what I can." Which was not much he noted to himself. "And, in addition, I can offer anypony that will step up and join me... guaranteed passage into the city of Canterlot!"

After his speech was over, as usual, ponies of all colors could be barely seen peering out behind curtains or cracked doors, but no effort was displayed to do any more that. Resigned to go on alone, Epic picked up one of his dirty white hooves, but before he could place it back down the town's clock tower began to ring. Seven rings, to be precise, not even close to the actual time.

As odd as the disturbance was, what happened after was even more bizarre. From out of the belfry jumped out a pony, not a pegasus pony, but winged nonetheless. And on the those large leathery wings the pony circled a few times, causing Epic to wrap the hilt of his sword in a telekinetic sheath.

But then, in a rather small feminine voice, the pony from above spoke, "Look at all you! So terrified of a stranger that you don't even come out from your homes to see if what he promises is real! Are you all so broke that you cower from this knight as your foals cower from the night?"

Swinging down and landing nearby to white unicorn the nearly black bat pony added, more to him than the town, "I was never proud of this town, not with the way I was treated even before all this, but now I am outright ashamed. What does it say about you when the town's local monster has more of a conscious than the town?"

Turning now with an extended hoof, she spoke low enough so it was clear this part was meant only for him, "Hello, Epic Journey. My name is Ashed Leads, and if you'll accept my help, I'll gladly offer it."

"Hello," he offered back, not once his telekinetic grip fading. "I wasn't actually expecting anypony to accept, but the offer is still extended. Forgive me if I don't immediately throw out my hoof in trust, not with the way this world works."

Setting her hoof back, she giggled in agreement, while glancing around the town. The stillness that held the curtains and doors before Epic had trotted into town had returned. Now it was a ghost town save for a white unicorn and a thestral who's purple fur could be confused with a starless night's sky. And for a while it stayed that way, neither party knowing how to proceed now they had another, until finally Epic gestured that they leave with a jostle of his head, before immediately following his own advice.

With each hour that passed the wind slowly began to pick up, and Epic kept glancing back at his new found companion. Each time he was awarded with a ever decreasing smile, until finally he was only awarded with a blank stare. This was mostly because every time he glanced back Ashed Leads could see the unicorn was still ever ready to draw his blade, but was partly because she realized that if the wind didn't start dieing down soon it meant they were going to be heading straight into a storm. It wasn't until she was nearly blown over that she decided to break the awkward silence.

"Okay, you seem really determined to get to where you're going, but it's about to storm pretty hard, so I think we need to find some shelter pretty fast," the mare had to all but shout to be heard.

Ahead of her Epic stopped as if to contemplate something. "How hard?" He inquired.

"Look, I'm barely standing back here. It's going to be at least that bad, not to mention it's going get really dark when it hits. Combine that with the sheets of rain and we aren't going to be able to see our hooves in front of our faces."

"Hmmm. Then we should pick up the pace. If we can get to the Cave Beast's lair it will at least be shelter."

"No, no, no. What ever this Cave Beast is, if it's going to storm bad, then it's going to be home for sure. We really don't want to get there exhausted, particularly not it we get caught in the rain before we can get all the way there." Folding out her wings, she added, "Which will be likely since we're headed directly into the storm system."

"Then what do you suggest?" He replied, his horn's aura noticeably dipping in intensity.

"Well," She began. "It's a bit out of the way, but there's a wrecked wagon a little ways from here. I've used it as shelter before when the town ponies were particularly angsty."

Nodding his head, Epic motioned for her lead them to it. Her smile returned at that, and the pair immediately broke course.

Lightning flashed overhead as the two reached the wreckage, Epic's face showing just how much he found the word suitable. Ashed Leads on the other hoof, was practically ecstatic. Motioning with her hoof for him to follow, she crouched down and crawled through the opening where the back of the wagon had sunk into the ground some years ago.

Epic's umcomfortability could be heard in his voice, "Are you sure this is safe? Looks to me like it'll sinking all the way in if this storm is half what you predicted."

"It's fine," she replied, none of the same worry in her voice. "This old thing has been here since before the whole Rebalance happened. Probably hit a rock half a meter or so down. The only thing really wrong with it are a few holes were the water will get through, but those can be mostly avoided. Besides a little wet is better than a lot."

The bat pony was answered with something whooshing overhead, as each hole was covered all at once. Interested to see what had happened she crawled back outside and saw Epic pinning down a tarp with what ever available rocks his telekinesis could grab.

"There, my shelter complementing your shelter. Together making some sort of super hovel." Epic stated, accompanied by a single short laugh. Then taking a look at his companion as if to gauge some hidden thing he added. "I'd wager such a luxury is rare for both of us."

"Right," the mare said dejectedly, before perking back up. "Hey, what about food? There are plenty of berry around here that are all edible, and we have a little time before the rain hits."

"That's not a terrible idea. My rations are being spread a little thin already."

His companion didn't notice, as she was to busy trying to find food already, but the stallion glanced at his saddle bags, then checked, as if to reconfirm, she had brought no worldly possessions with her at all.

The rain did not wait long before coming down, paired with another crack of thunder. This immediately caused Ashed to seek shelter, but did not seem to detour Epic from his rounds, at least, not as fast. When he did seek shelter his mane was already matted against his body and he was carrying a bundle of twigs and branches. Setting those aside for a moment he also dug a small bundle of berries and a few pieces of bread out of his saddle bags and added them to the much larger pile that had already been made. Epic then split the pile as evenly as he cared to, which the two began to eat to the sound of the storm outside.

Ashed was finished long before Epic, however he had set aside some of his food and had started to make a fire pit. Finally drawing his blade he struck flint against it, trying to land the sparks in some tender he levitated was well.

"So, Ashed Leads. How does some pony become a... whatever the politically correct term for bat pony is?" The swordspony asked in between breathing life into his fire.

Replying first with an odd look Ashed told her story: "How does one become a thestral? Let me tell you now it's not a pretty story. It usually happens in the dead of night to young girls who don't know any better. A stallion whispering sweet nothings and promising the world to her approaches. Taken aback by his charm she does nothing as he draws ever closer, closer, until he begins to kiss her neck, and she falls into his open hoofs. And when she wakes the next morning she's a changed mare, and she knows her life will never be the same."

"Just like how unicorn foals are made too." She added with a roll of her eyes. "Thestralism is a rare recessive gene. I was born a thestral, to a pair of very loving pegasi parents."

"Oh. I didn't mean anything by it. I've never met a thestral before, and they have a bit of a social stigma to them. As, of course you must know..." The stallion fumbled for a moment before adding, "I just want to be sure there's no reason to treat you different than any pony else."

For a time the two when back to eating, of warming themselves, or anything other than talking. Besides the storm outside was already making enough noise for both of them.

The thestral let out a yawn, and capitalizing on the broken silence spoke, "Epic, do you mind calling me Ashley? It's was what my parent's used to call me, and it would be nice to hear it again sometimes."

"No problem, Ashley." Preforming a last check an organization of his things the stallion moved to claim one side of the wagon. "I recommend getting some sleep. Tomorrow might be more than you bargained for."

"What about the fire?"

"Don't worry. My flank might not have a picture of a roaring flame, but I know enough magic to make a healthy flame," Epic replied with an mysterious tone.

Author's Note:

So I like to write, but I have serious problems with writing one-shots. I don't know why, but I get half way through them and stop. It's not I don't know where I'm going, but how I'll get there in the time I've allotted myself.

I figure writing something ridiculously long will either solve that, or at least when I'm forced to stop by my brain being rude, I'll have stopped after I've produced enough content that my brain won't be a jerk about one-shot sized stories any more. And if it literally stops me halfway through the entire story, that will be after Part 1, which can stand on it's own well enough.

My name is Serious Contemplation, and it's time to out think myself.