• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 1,627 Views, 66 Comments

Mending a Broken Rainbow - malikvamp



Rainbow Dash is literally torn in two between her loyalties, having to choose between staying loyal to her dream or to her filly-friend Applejack.

  • ...
15
 66
 1,627

Chapter 3

Mending a Broken Rainbow- Chapter Three-

"Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!" Rainbow yelled loudly as she glided through the warm, mid-day air. Rays of sun light beat down against her back, and from below drifted up the definite scent of Sweet Apple Acres. A pair of sad, watery magenta eyes furiously scanned the world below, looking, searching for- "There it is!"

Pulling in her wings, the Pegasus began to fall, air dancing through her mane as she plummeted downward then, at the last moment, her wings shot back out. Pulling to a stop in the blink of an eye, Rainbow found herself at the entrance to the infamous Cutie Mark Crusaders club house. It was the perfect place to have some time to herself, whilst it's usual occupants were out becoming 'cutie mark crusader hang gliders'. Quickly glancing around to ensure that no pony was around, the cyan Pegasus trotted inside.

"How exactly is the element of loyalty supposed to decide..." Rainbow fell in the centre of the club house, head in hooves and tears streaming down her checks. "Between being loyal to my dream, and being loyal to my love."

The glow that had surrounded Rainbow earlier was growing even stronger, filling the clubhouse with a bright glow.

"I can't give up on Applejack," Rainbow ranted aloud to herself. "I love her too much to just leave like that. I may even be dead right now, if she did not love me back! AJ has never given up on me; on pushing me forward!"

For some time the cyan Pegasus did not speak, simply weeping in confusion. The glow continued to grow stronger. However, before long, thoughts of her second option; her second loyalty; crept into her words.

"The Wonderbolts," the words tasted like bitter-sweet candy on her lips. "They have been my dream, my end goal, for as long as I can remember. I've wanted to fly, and preform with them for longer then I've been able to soar through the sky. They're the reason I fought for so long, and I could still have one more chance to fly by their sides..."

Suddenly the rainbow glow exploded in a bright light, blinding Rainbow Dash and forcing her eyes beneath her hooves. Then, as soon as it came, the light was gone.

"So..." Rainbow spoke, but it was not her. It was her voice, her words, but she had not spoken them. "What am I going to do?"

Looking up from her hooves, Rainbow saw before her... Herself. Two deep magenta eyes, staring back as if looking into a mirror. Before she knew what was going on, she spoke, and as she did so did the other Rainbow at the same time.

"I have to get back to Applejack!"

"I have to get to those tryouts!"

Again, the two stare at each other in confusion. Two Rainbows. Two separate loyalties.

"Hay, I've got an awesome idea!" One of the Rainbows jumped to her hooves, the other cowering away.

"And that is?"

"We go separate ways, achieve both of our dreams! Somehow we split in half, so why not use this to our advantage! From now on, you can be Dashie, and I'll be Rainbolt."

"That..." Dashie slowly began to smile. "That actually sounds like a great idea! An awesome idea! But the tryouts end today, don't they?"

"Oh, hay feathers!" Rainbolt's wings exploded from her side. "I have to go! Be good to Applejack for us!"

Quickly the Pegasus ran for the door, taking off the moment she cleared the clubhouse, and leaving Dashie behind alone and hopeful.

"Maybe... This is for the best after all." Dashie spoke, glancing down to her hooves. "Maybe now, with this new me, I will be able to make Applejack truly happy, and never put myself before her."

With a light heart Dashie trotted through the entrance of the clubhouse, stretching her wings happily into the sunlight. With Sweet Apple Acres in sight, Dashie took to the sky.

---------------------

The Apple family barn stood proud in the evening breeze, emerging from the orchard with pride. In the distant skies the first traces of clouds were beginning to form, bringing with them a light breeze. So many times Rainbow Dash had pridefully flown to and from the farm, but the home seemed much more threatening now, as Dashie planned her apology.

"C'mon, Dashie," she neared the building at a slow pace, her hooves shaking in anticipation. "You can do this. You have to, for Applejack!"

Finally nearing her destination, the cyan Pegasus landed upon the window sill of Applejack's room with a light thud. The room was dark, despite the sun still being quite high in the sky. And it was quiet; still. A quick glance around the room revealed it's unsettling state; the contents of Applejack's bed strewn across the floor. There, atop the un-made resting place, was the form of an orange farm pony rising and falling in staggered breaths.

"Uhm, Applejack?" at the sound of Rainbow's voice the mare's head lifted, eyes wide and tears. "May I come in?"

It was as if life was re-breathed into the orange mare as she shot to her hooves, her tears making another effort to escape.

"Yes, of course!" Applejack's voice was coarse, and quick. "Ah've been worried sick about ya! Are you alright?"

That's when Applejack began to notice that things were strange about her mare-friend. Instead of her usual, high-paced attitude, the Dash crept across the room shyly, avoiding eye contact in an almost Fluttershy like manner. Upon reaching the bed, she slowly made her ways into Applejack's hold, almost... Peacefully.

"Look, Rainbow, Ah'm sorry 'bout what Ah said." Applejack placed a quick kiss against her filly-friend's forehead and hugged her tightly. "If ya really want ta try out for the Wonderbolts, then Ah'm here for you. We can make it work!"

Looking up from her place happily snuggled into AJ's coat, Dashie gazed into Applejack's emerald eyes.

"Thanks, AJ," Dashie smiled, "but I've changed my mind. I don't need the Wonderbolts. All I need is you."

"I-" Applejack paused, giving the Pegasus a curious look. "What? But what about your dreams? Your loyalties?"

"All I need is you. I love you."

"I... Love you too, Rainbow Dash."

"Please, call me Dashie." With a quick kiss, the cyan Pegasus snuggled back into Applejack's coat.

Applejack, however, was not quite as at peace. Something was very, very wrong. Rainbow Dash, asking to be called 'Dashie'? Her slow, shy movements? Forgetting her dream of flying with the Wonderbolts? However, now was not the time to worry about that. Finding comfort in the warm embrace of the Pegasus beside her, Applejack quickly drifted to sleep.

If only the farm pony had resisted sleep a moment longer, she would have seen the explosive colors of a sonic rainboom filling the sky, erupting from the capital city of Canterlot.

---------------------

The Apple family kitchen was quiet the next morning, a lone orange pony happily humming to herself as she prepared the morning's meal. It was strange to her, having the house to herself whilst the rest of her family worked the orchard, but she had no complaints. The sweet smell of baking apples filled the room, the meal reaching it's completion. With the squeal of door hinges, the farm ponies elder brother slowly enterd the room.

"Applejack?" the voice sounded confused. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh! Mornin' Big Mac!" Appejack remained focussed on the task at hoof, too distracted to notice her brother's odd stare. "How'd ya sleep?"

"Uhm... AJ?"

"Yes, Big Mac?"

"Why are you not outside, taking care of your chores?"

"Rainbow- er, Dashie, told me to take the day off and relax," finally turning to her brother Applejack caught wind of the strange tension in his words. "Is something wrong?"

"Eeeyup,"

Immediately the orange ponies happy expression disappeared, as if it had never been there at all. Taking his sister's silence as an invitation to continue, Big Macintosh spoke.

"Look, just head outside," the stallion stepped away from the door. "Twilight has come all the way from Canterlot to see you. She seems worried about something."

Before AJ could question her brother further, the stallion had already made his departure. With a quickness to her step, the farm pony quickly made her way to, and out the door. What waited for her was not something she could have imagined.

Twilight stood, awaiting Applejack, dressed in the clothing of royalty. A dress of purple silk rested upon her delicate frame, a crystal tiara upon her head. And she was not alone. An escort of six royal guards patiently stood at attention behind the princess-like unicorn.

"Applejack!" Twilight threw herself at her friend, embracing the orange pony tightly, and gaining some worried looks from the guards. "I've missed you so much! How are you?"

"I'm doing well! And you look..." pause for effect. "Amazing!"

"Yes, well," the purple unicorn finally released Applejack, backing a few steps back and giving a shy smile. "Princess Celestia says that the royal consultant deserves to look the part."

"Wow! A royal consultant!"

"Well, I have saved Equestria time and time again," Twilight boasted happily. "But that is not why I am here."

A strange silence ensued as Twilight's expression quickly changed into a worried stare. "I know you said that you were fine, but... Are you sure? I understand that you must be having a hard time right now."

"What? What are ya talking about?"

"Last night in my study, Spike told me the news," the unicorn spoke cautiously, as if avoiding to be too blunt. However, blunt was exactly what Applejack wanted. "I came as soon as I could, but as the royal consultant I had to bring an escort."

"What news, Sugarcube? What are ya talkin' 'bout?"

For a moment Twilight did not respond, her eyes wide and confused. Shaking from her stumper Twilight's horn began to glow, and suddenly the morning's newspaper appeared before her. Flipping open to the mane article, the paper flew over to Applejack. The page was largely dominated by a picture of Rainbow Dash, flying through the evening sky with a sonic rainboom exploding behind her. The title read, 'Rainbolt, the newest Wonderbolt!'

Applejack stared at the paper, eyes glassed. It wasn't possible. Dashie had been with her all night, and she had said that she was no longer interested in the Wonderbolts. Had she been lied to; played like a foal?

"But... But... Dashie, she-"

"I truly am sorry, AJ," Twilight spoke sorrowfully. "I didn't mean to be the bearer of bad news, I just... Thought you knew."