• Published 24th Sep 2014
  • 429 Views, 2 Comments

Angels in Ponyville - advocateofpants



Before returning home after royal business in Canterlot, Twilight is given a statue by Princess Celestia. However, when the statue's true nature is discovered, it'll take an otherworldly assistant to deal with the situation.

  • ...
 2
 429

An Unexpected Danger

“Just ‘the Doctor,’” the Doctor explained.

“That can’t seriously be your name,” Celestia responded, doubtfully.

“But it is,” the Doctor countered. “We Time Lords don’t really have names; only titles.”

“I personally like it,” Luna said, politely. “’The Doctor’ makes him sound like some sort of superhero, but when you called him ‘Doctor Who,’ I couldn’t help but think of him as part owl.” The younger alicorn then let out a childish giggle.

“Luna, shut up,” Celestia said, sternly.

“Well, that wasn’t very nice,” the Doctor remarked. “And if you want to make jokes about my name, you might want to take a look back at your own subjects before you approach me, but that’s just my opinion.” As he made that last statement, the Doctor looked up at the ceiling before returning his gaze toward Princess Celestia.

“You had better mind your tongue, stranger,” the elder alicorn warned, standing up and slowly spreading her wings. “Let me remind you that you are in my castle, uninvited!”

Luna stood up and watched in concern as Celestia walked toward the Doctor. Though the two of them—Princess Celestia and the Doctor—were now face to face, neither flinched.

“Your intrusion isn’t very well appreciated,” the elder princess began, her voice rising in anger. “Either state your business, or get lost! Or should I leave you to my guards? Your choice. In either case, you will address me with a civil tongue. Unlike my sister, I am NOT in the mood for your jokes. Do I make myself clear?”

Luna opened her mouth to speak, but found herself unable to do so, the sadness from her sister’s sudden temper weighing on her unbearably.

“Princess Celestia,” the Doctor began, “I mean no disrespect by my presence, and I apologize for coming here unannounced. Beyond that, I was only trying to cheer you up a bit; however, seeing as you are the kind who turns her nose up at a light joke, allow me to get straight to the point. I came here to warn you.”

“I do like a good joke when the time calls for it,” Celestia responded, “however, I do not appreciate having some stranger show up in my throne room uninvited as you have, nor do I appreciate it when said stranger attempts to poke fun at the situation, rather than accept the consequences of their intrusion. Seeing as you have admitted you were wrong, I accept your apology. Now, tell me your warning, and be on your way; I’ll look into whatever you have to say as needed.” Little by little, Celestia’s anger had subsided.

“Very well, then,” the Doctor replied. “You know that statue you let your young friend have?”

“Yes,” Celestia responded, a hint of curiosity present in her voice. “What about it?”

“That angel statue you found isn’t as harmless as you may think,” the Doctor explained. “You may have very well condemned your friend, as well as that entire town, to a terrible fate.”

“Is that a threat?” Celestia asked, tensely.

“No, not at all,” the Doctor clarified. “That is my warning.”

“So what’s up with the statue?” Luna asked as she stood next to her sister, a hint of fear present in the younger princess’s voice.

“That statue isn’t actually a statue,” the Doctor began. “While it looks like a statue, that thing is a type of creature known as a Weeping Angel.”

“You mean that thing’s alive?” Luna asked.

“In a way, yes,” the Doctor replied. “However, it only moves when no one can see it, such as when it’s dark or when you so much as blink your eyes.”

“How is that even possible?” Celestia asked.

“The Weeping Angels—yes, there can be more than one—are essentially creatures borne of time itself,” the Doctor explained. “The reason they only move when not being watched is that they are trapped within a sort of time flux; that state of imprisonment restricts their movement to only being able to move in the manner I described before.”

“So what makes these ‘Weeping Angels’ so dangerous?” Celestia asked.

“They’re they only known being in the universe that kills you kindly,” the Doctor responded.

“They what?!” Luna exclaimed.

“Kill you kindly,” the Doctor repeated.

“How can something kill, yet be kind about it?” Celestia asked. “My brain hurts all of a sudden.”

“Here’s how they do it: anyone they catch is thrown into a different time period, and forced to live the remainder of their life in that time period. The life the victim would have lived—or rather, the time the victim lost—is absorbed by the Weeping Angels as a sort of energy source, which extends their own lifespan,” the Doctor clarified.

“So they can effectively make themselves immortal?” Luna asked. “They’re like vampires who feed off of time and move when nobody’s watching them.”

“That’s right,” the Doctor said. “However, they’re considerably more dangerous than vampires partly because of their restrictive method of movement; quite unpredictable.”

“And now, one of those creatures is in the hooves of…” Celestia’s voice trailed off and her eyes widened in horror as the truth of the dire situation gripped her. “What have I done?”

“Your Highness, you can’t blame yourself for this,” the Doctor interjected.

“He’s right, sister,” Luna calmly added. “You had no idea that statue was such a danger to everyone.”

“It’s not your fault, Your Highness,” the Doctor said as he calmly placed a hand on the elder princess’s shoulder. “That’s another factor that makes them so dangerous; angels are frequently depicted as beings of purity or protection, so it’s only natural for one to drop their guard when they see an angel—even more so when it’s something like a statue or a painting.”

“What should we do?” Luna asked, her voice filled with determination.

“I need to go and warn your friend of the situation,” the Doctor replied. “I have dealt with the Weeping Angels before; with my knowledge and experience, you have nothing to worry about.”

“Very well, then,” Celestia said, struggling to keep calm. “You will go to Ponyville and warn Twilight about the statue. Do what you feel is necessary with it.”

“Where might I find Twilight?” the Doctor asked. “What part of Ponyville am I looking for?”

“Golden Oaks Library,” Luna answered. “It’s the big oak tree close to the middle of town.”

“So Twilight lives in a library in a tree, does she?” the Doctor mused.

“Don’t you dare,” Celestia warned. “I’ve had enough jokes for one day.”

“So I’m off to Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville to find Twilight,” the Doctor declared, making sure he had all the details right.

“Yes, that’s correct,” Luna confirmed. “You can just take the train to get there.”

“Ah, lovely!” the Doctor cheered as he turned to leave. “I do fancy a relaxing train ride.”

“Wait!” Celestia interrupted. “Before you go, we need to do something about your appearance.”

“Ah, yes,” the Doctor whispered. “My appearance…” his voice trailed off as he straightened his trench-coat. “Don’t want everyone panicking at the sight of me; certainly wouldn’t make the task any easier.”

Celestia nodded respectfully, relieved that her visitor understood his predicament.

“Sister…” Luna started, concerned. “What are you about to do?”

“What do you think?” Celestia asked, winking at her sister. “I’m sure he’ll want to remain as inconspicuous as possible while he’s trying to deal with the crisis at hand. At least that way, we can hope he doesn’t run into any unwanted obstacles. Luna, stand back. Doctor, this might feel a bit weird at first, but what I’m about to do to you won’t hurt; I promise.” With that, Celestia’s horn was covered in the familiar glow of yellow light as she charged up her magic; Luna got the hint, and stepped back as requested, prompting the two guards standing nearby to do the same.

The glow of light emanating from Celestia’s horn turned from yellow to white, and the spell was cast. As the Doctor was engulfed in the blinding aura, he could feel the warmth of the magical energy. Suddenly, he felt the odd sensation of his body being reshaped; just as Celestia described before, it didn’t hurt, but it certainly felt weird. As the light subsided, the Doctor found himself still in the throne room of Canterlot Castle, but noticed his stature was significantly changed; he was still standing face to face with Princess Celestia, but suddenly she was a bit taller—or rather, he was a bit shorter—and he now stood on four legs, rather than two.

“My word, what have you done to me?” the Doctor asked, looking at his new body the best he could.

“You’re a pony, Doctor,” Celestia explained. “I made you into one of our kind, so you’ll have an easier time blending in while you’re here. I apologize for any difficulty you may have in getting around, but I hope it doesn’t take too long to adjust. In any case, I promise I’ll turn you back to normal when you’re ready to leave from here.”

“In that case, thank you, Princess,” the Doctor said, happily.

“I have one last thing for you. Wait here…” Celestia added, passing her sister and entering a door near the two thrones—her study room. Almost as quickly as she left, Celestia had returned, this time levitating a small cloth bag.

“What’s in here?” the Doctor asked as the bag was levitated into his pocket.

“Money for you to use while you’re here,” Celestia explained. “Twilight should be able to accommodate you while you’re in Ponyville; I had best let her know to expect you. In the meantime, I wish you luck. I also suggest taking on a name, rather than a title, so you don’t find yourself in an unfortunate situation.” With that Celestia again retreated into her study room.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” the Doctor whispered. “Well, then, I’m off to Ponyville!”

“Good luck, Doctor,” Luna said, politely bowing.

“Thank you, Princess,” he replied, returning the gesture. Understanding the urgency of what he had to do, the Doctor left the throne room and headed for the train station. After finding his way around Canterlot, he arrived at his destination. After buying a ticket, the Doctor went inside to wait for the train to arrive, calmly watching the activity around him.

As if by instinct, the Doctor boarded the train when it arrived, and quietly took a seat. As the train raced toward Ponyville, the Doctor thought about what awaited him in Ponyville, aside from his meeting with Twilight. Going by the name, Ponyville sounded like a nice town, if not a bit obvious; he knew that he would have to be diligent if he hoped to save it from the Weeping Angels.

Naturally, thinking about the Weeping Angels led him back to thinking about Twilight. While he had no idea of what Celestia’s young friend was like, the Doctor knew that she was in grave danger. As the Doctor learned in his previous encounters with the Weeping Angels, failure was not an option and the sooner they’re dealt with, the better. As the train approached Ponyville, the Doctor thought about how he would explain the situation to Twilight, and wondered how she would react to learning that a statue meant as a gift was actually a dangerous creature.

As the train slowed, the Doctor mentally prepared himself for the task ahead. When the train made a full stop, he stood up, cleared his throat, and silently departed the train. As he stepped onto the platform, he looked around at the many others waiting to board a train to some other place.

Now to find my way to the library, the Doctor thought as he headed into town.

The place seemed pleasant enough with its brightly colored buildings and the friendly chatter of its inhabitants. In the presence of the peaceful atmosphere, the Doctor eased up slightly, but stayed alert in his search for the town library. As he passed through the streets of Ponyville, the Doctor made a note of where everything was, aware that he’d be in town for a while.

I’m looking for Golden Oaks Library, he reminded himself, not wanting to waste any more time. Big oak tree near the middle of town; hard to miss.

A short time later, he found his destination.

“Ah, here it is—Golden Oaks Library!” the Doctor exclaimed. “And not far from Town Hall; convenient, if I do say so, myself.”

As he approached the door, he could hear the excited chatter of several voices inside.

“That must be Twilight and her friends,” he noted. “I hate to ruin their merriment, but they need to know the truth of what’s about to happen here.”

After making the unfortunate observation, the Doctor knocked on the door and took a step back as he waited for an answer.

“What was that?” one voice asked.

“Sounds like there’s someone at the door,” noted another.

“I guess I had better go see who it is,” a third voice said. This voice, however, was followed by gentle footsteps.

The Doctor smiled as the door was opened, ready to make a quick introduction and a much-needed warning and explanation.

“Hello,” the speaker said. “Can I help you?”

“Yes, you may,” the Doctor replied, cheerfully. “Might you be Twilight?”

“Yeah, that’s me,” she replied. “Why?”

“Mind if I have a word with you?” the Doctor asked.

“I’m kind of in the middle of something right now,” Twilight answered with a hint of irritation.

“I must apologize, then,” the Doctor said, politely. “I come to you with a matter of importance, but if you’re busy at the moment, I can come back later.”

“No, it’s alright,” Twilight whispered with a sigh. “Come on in.”

Upon Twilight’s invitation, the Doctor stepped inside, marveling at the sight before him.

“Forgive my unexpected visit, ladies,” he said, respectfully addressing the small crowd gazing at him curiously.

Suddenly, he heard the door slam shut and felt a familiar aura form around him. However, this was not the golden glow Princess Celestia used; this was a violet aura, and said aura was being used to restrain him. Almost as quickly as he was restrained, he found himself staring into the angry purple eyes of Twilight Sparkle.

“Now,” she began, “start talking, whoever you are. Who are you; why are you here…and how do you know who I am?”

“Twilight, what are you doing?” came a panicked voice directly behind Twilight.

“Hoping to get some information about our man of mystery here,” Twilight answered, not shifting her gaze away from the Doctor’s paralyzed and confused form. “Just stay back, Pinkie.”

“If you’ll lower your spell, I’ll tell you everything I can,” the Doctor replied, calmly.

Hesitantly, Twilight lowered the magic barrier surrounding the stranger, but did not lower her guard.

“As I said, I come to you with a matter of utmost importance,” the Doctor said.

“What’s your name?” Twilight demanded, impatiently. “I don’t recall seeing you around here before.”

The Doctor’s thoughts returned to the meeting with Celestia and Luna, quickly resting on the last thing the elder princess said before going to her study room.

In the meantime, I wish you luck; I would also suggest taking on a name, rather than a title, so you don’t find yourself in an unfortunate situation.

Why does this always happen to me? the Doctor asked himself.

“Well?” Twilight asked, more forceful than before.

The Doctor closed his eyes in meditation, searching for a satisfactory answer while hoping to follow Celestia’s hint. Upon reaching his desired goal, he opened his eyes and cleared his throat.

“Time Turner,” the Doctor answered, smiling inwardly at his quick thinking.

“Pleased to meet you,” Twilight replied. “Now, where are you from and why are you here now?”

“I can’t exactly tell you where I’m from, I’m afraid,” the Doctor, under the guise of Time Turner, confessed. “However, I can tell you that I was sent from Canterlot for a bit of business with you. You should’ve gotten a letter from Princess Celestia herself; she said she’d give you a heads-up that I’d be coming down here.”

“I was wondering what that letter was about,” Twilight mumbled, remembering the message her former mentor had sent her moments ago. “So then, you’re the guy I was told to expect?”

“Yes,” Time Turner confirmed, “that’s correct.”

“So…” Twilight began, though a lot softer this time, “What sort of business could you have with me? Why would the princess send someone like you down here?”

“That,” Time Turner answered, pointing at a tall cloaked object resting next to the fireplace.

“What about it?” Twilight asked; her friends were equally curious.

“Yeah, Twilight, what is that thing?” asked a rainbow-maned pegasus

“Well, Rainbow Dash, I had something I wanted to show you guys,” Twilight answered, walking over to the object in question. “Before I left Canterlot, Princess Celestia showed Spike and I around this one part of the castle garden. As I turned to leave, I noticed a statue nearby—this statue, to be exact. Celestia mentioned having no knowledge of it or any other statue being placed there, but she was at least able to tell me a few things about this particular statue.”

“So tell us, darling, what sort of statue is it?” asked a white unicorn.

“It’s an angel statue, Rarity,” Twilight replied.

Rarity was filled with excitement as she attempted to picture the concealed form of the statue. However, her thoughts were interrupted when Time Turner spoke.

“Angels are beautiful creatures, I will agree,” he began, “however, this particular angel is not to be taken lightly.”

“Are you saying it’s dangerous?” Twilight asked in disbelief. “That’s nonsense! Celestia told me that angels are supposed to protect us.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash added in agreement. “Some even believe that everyone has an angel watching over them, protecting and guiding them, no matter what happens.”

Her unexpected comment was met with mixed expressions from the others, prompting another remark.

“What, you’ve never heard the term ‘guardian angel’ before?” Rainbow asked.

“I’ve heard something like that in stories,” a quiet voice from behind her replied.

“So have I,” responded the pony closest to Time Turner, “but they’re just stories meant to help children feel safe at night—nothin’ more than folklore.”

“I must apologize,” Time Turner interjected, “but I don’t believe I got your names.”

Apologizing for the slip of courtesy, Twilight took a moment to formally introduce herself and her friends.

“And now, back to business,” Time Turner said, happily. “Applejack, how about we continue this little debate at a more convenient time?”

The Stetson-wearing pony took a step back in response to the remark, somewhat irritated at the turn of dialog.

“As I mentioned before,” Time Turner started, continuing his previous explanation, “Twilight is correct in what she was told: angels are frequently depicted in various art forms and mythologies as divine beings—ones who guide and protect us, most often in troubled times. However, this particular creature, known as a Weeping Angel, is far from the kind of entity you would want watching over you.”

“So what makes them so dangerous?” Twilight asked, slightly worried.

At the request of all present, Time Turner gave a thorough description of what the Weeping Angels were, providing Twilight and her friends with the same insight he gave to Luna and Celestia. When the information had been given, the room became deathly silent as each pondered the predicament in their own way. Applejack was the first to break the silence.

“I don’t believe it,” she said, slightly enraged. “Why would Princess Celestia give Twilight something like that? Furthermore, how in Equestria do you know so much about these things?”

“She didn’t know,” Twilight answered, saddened by the truth of the situation.

“Pardon?”

“In the letter I got from her before, she said that there was much more to the statue than she realized, and that Time Turner would give me a full explanation when he got here. I dismissed it because I didn’t think it was that big of a concern; it just didn’t make much sense to me for her to warn me about such a thoughtful gift. I can’t believe I was so foolish…”

“It’s quite alright, dear,” Time Turner said, reassuringly. “I know it’s hard to believe that you ended up with something so dangerous, but you can agree that I came here bearing the truth. Your princess would never intentionally put you in such great harm.”

Twilight nodded in response.

“Now, as far as how I know so much about them,” he started, facing Applejack, “I’ve dealt with these things before; nasty business. You’ve got to keep your wits about you when dealing with them.”

“So this statue is one of these Weeping Angels, then?” Rainbow asked, worried. “Can we at least see what it looks like, so we know what to watch out for?”

“That would be a logical course of action,” Time Turner agreed. “However, I must warn you that when looking at a Weeping Angel, you must not turn away from them—don’t even blink. They move when not seen, even when it’s only for a fraction of a second. Do you all understand?”

The group of friends voiced their understanding one by one, and when prompted, Twilight charged her magic, and carefully uncovered the statue. As Time Turner expected, the statue was frozen in its usual forlorn pose: the figure was standing up straight with its wings slightly outstretched and its face buried in its hands. As they all took a good look at the angel’s features, they remained perfectly still and silent, fully paralyzed at the thought of something so beautiful in appearance being such a potent threat. A brief moment later, Twilight deftly levitated the canvas back over the statue, recovering it fully. This time, Rarity was the first to break the dark silence filling the room.

“So we just have to watch out for any statue that looks like that?” she asked.

“That is correct,” Time Turner confirmed.

“And if we see one, we just back away?” Fluttershy asked.

“Back away if you can, but if you find yourself facing one for any reason, you mustn’t lose your nerve,” Time Turner warned.

“I’d like to know why something that’s supposed to be so dangerous is in such an unassuming pose,” Rainbow added. “Why does it have its face covered?”

“Because it if didn’t, it would reveal its only weakness,” Time Turner answered.

“Which is…?” the rainbow-maned pegasus asked.

“If two or more Weeping Angels are ever forced to look at one another, they are trapped in their statue-like state forever,” the trench-coat-wearing time traveler explained.

“So we just have to make them look at each other somehow, and they won’t be able to move,” Pinkie Pie observed.

“But if they only move when they’re not being watched, then how are we supposed to get them to look at each other?” asked the young dragon, Spike.

“That is a puzzle, now, isn’t it?” noted Time Turner. “There is no easy way of doing this, but if we work together, then there’s nothing to worry about. The trick is luring them into a place far away from innocent life, and tricking them into facing each other; this method is the closest you could hope to come to killing them.”

“You mean we can’t just destroy the statue?” asked Rainbow, assuming a defensive stance.

“Not so fast, Rainbow!” interjected Twilight. “Even if that does work, you’re not destroying anything in my house; I know how much of a mess you can leave behind.”

“It won’t work,” Time Turner lamented.

“Pardon?” Applejack asked.

“You may dismantle one, but there are many more out there,” Time Turner replied. “I can’t give you an exact number, unfortunately.”

“So what do you expect us to do, Time Turner?!” Twilight asked, tensely. “And what is this ‘we’ business you referred to before?”

“As I have said before, Twilight,” Time Turner began, “I have dealt with the monsters before, so if you hope to be rid of them, you’ll need my assistance. You would be pleased to know that you are safe for now, assuming this statue remains covered.”

“That’s comforting,” Twilight said, sarcastically. “So it would seem that we have no choice; we’re stuck with you.”

“Twilight, I’m heartbroken,” Time Turner replied, feigning sadness. “When you put it that way, you make it seem as though I’m a bit of a bother. I’m only trying to save you, but I know when I’m not wanted.”

“I’m in,” Rainbow said. “I don’t know about the others, but I could sense something evil in that statue; we can’t have anything like that roaming any part of Equestria.”

“Rainbow’s right; if these things are as dangerous as you say, then they need to be stopped before it’s too late. I’ll help you,” Twilight said, calmly.

“If Twilight’s going to help, so am I!” Spike declared.

“I’ll help!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“I’ll help…somehow…” Fluttershy whispered.

“I suppose I’m in, as well,” Rarity said with a flick of her mane.

“I don’t know about any evil presence,” Applejack started, noticing the anxious look each of her friends gave her, “but this does sound mighty serious, so you can count me in, as well.”

“Excellent!” Time Turner beamed. “However, I’m afraid we’re forced to play the waiting game for now.”

“So we just sit around and wait for these things to show themselves?” Applejack asked.

“That’s right,” Time Turner confirmed.

“Then what are we supposed to do until then?” Rainbow asked, impatiently. “I was hoping to bust up some false angels!”

“Some things never change,” Twilight said, shaking her head in response to her friend’s antics.

“I’ll go on the lookout for any signs of other Weeping Angels that may have found their way here,” Time Turner said. “Once anything surfaces, I’ll be sure to inform Twilight, and she can pass it along to the rest of you.” After making that last statement, he took a moment to make sure everyone understood the plan, and turned to leave before being stopped by Twilight.

“Time Turner, wait,” the young princess called out. “You’ll be here in Ponyville for a while, right?”

Smiling, he stopped and looked back.

“Yes, I do believe I will,” he replied.

“If you don’t have any other arrangements, how about you stay here?” Twilight offered.

“Why, thank you,” Time Turner said, happily. “Princess Celestia told me you might be willing to put up with me for a while. I’m glad to know she was right.”

“I’m not about to put someone out on the street,” Twilight said, “unless I had a legitimate reason to do so. Good luck with your search.”

“Thanks; you ladies—and gentle-fellow—should be on your guard in the meantime,” Time Turner advised. “I should be back a bit later.”

With that, the mysterious visitor known as Time Turner was gone with the promise to return, leaving Twilight and her friends with a new mystery to solve.

“So now that he’s gone, what do you say we do some investigating of our own?” Twilight asked.

“But do you even know what to look for?” Rarity asked.

“We have all the stuff that guy told us to work with,” Rainbow mentioned. “That’s a good starting point, at least.”

“See if you can find anything that talks about those angels you mentioned before,” Pinkie added. “There might be something in there about ones that wear disguises.”

“Oh, great, more fairy tales,” Applejack muttered, rolling her eyes.

“Applejack, hold on,” Twilight interjected. “It may sound weird, but these folktales might hold the answer to our problem. Rainbow, what was the term you used before?”

“Guardian angel,” the rainbow-maned pegasus replied. “Why? Remind you of something?”

“In a way, yes,” Twilight answered. “Besides that particular interpretation, what else have you heard about angels?”

As Rainbow Dash thought about what sort of answer to give, Twilight began searching the bookshelves for anything relevant. Stopping at a book of mythology her parents gave her, Twilight looked back at her friend with a look of concern.

“Some things I’ve heard about them,” Rainbow began, quietly, “is that they’re always watching over us, even when we can’t see or feel them. Sometimes, those who do charity work or something are called angels, just because of the miracles they provide. I’m not too charitable, but I have heard plenty of talk about miracles before.”

“It’s alright, Rainbow,” Twilight said, noticing a look of anxiety on her friend’s face. “Please continue.”

“The stuff I said before,” the rainbow-maned pegasus said with reverence, “is just one depiction of what an angel is. They protect and guide us as we go through each day, and give us the strength and knowledge to follow our dreams. The concept of a guardian angel is basically the same—they’re still protectors, but it’s on a personal level; for every person alive, there’s an angel watching over them. That’s pretty much everything I can tell you.”

“Sounds like a load of nonsense if you ask me,” Applejack remarked, prompting a gasp from the others.

“Hey, my grandmother believed in that ‘nonsense,’” Rainbow replied, suddenly on the verge of tears.

“Applejack…” Fluttershy whispered.

“How insensitive can you be?” Twilight asked.

“Don’t worry about it, you guys,” Rainbow interjected, quietly. “It’s alright; she can believe what she wants.”

“Rainbow,” Twilight began, “it’s perfectly fine to believe in something, but there is no reason to insult someone else’s beliefs, ever. Besides…” She turned to Applejack. “It’s not like her or anyone else is forcing their beliefs onto you. However, what we are looking for is very real and very dangerous.”

“Yeah, I get that, Twilight,” Applejack replied, lowering her hat over her eyes. “I want to get to the bottom of this just as much as the rest of y’all, but I’ve personally never had any reason to believe in things such as angels. They’re supposed to protect and guide us? Ha! If that’s true, then why is there so much suffering and confusion in the world?”

“I can’t answer that,” Twilight replied. “Nobody can.”

“I rest my case,” Applejack said, flatly. “You can’t answer what isn’t there. If there were beings watchin’ over us, we’d all be receivin’ miracles and the world would be perfect.”

“Can we please change the subject?” Rainbow pleaded.

“Yeah, sure,” Twilight replied, pulling her desired book off the shelf. “I apologize for getting so off-track, but there should be something in here.” Carefully, she leafed through the aged tome.

“Find anything, darling?” Rarity asked.

“No, not yet,” Twilight admitted, “but I’ll be sure to let you know if I do. Can you guys check some of these other books for information about these creatures we’re looking for?”

At Twilight’s request, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Spike all dispersed among the bookshelves in an effort to solve the mystery of the Weeping Angels. Rainbow Dash, however, stared sullenly toward the front door of the library.

“Rainbow?” Twilight asked upon noticing her friend’s dazed form. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” Rainbow lied; seeing through the answer, Twilight carefully sat her book aside.

“I know you better than that,” Twilight reminded the ace flier. “Come on upstairs; we’ll talk there.”

Knowing that she was in a battle she couldn’t win, Rainbow walked over to the stairs.

“Guys, Rainbow and I will be back in a moment,” Twilight said to the others. “In the meantime, you guys keep searching for any sort of information we can use.”

At the end of the short walk, Twilight directed Rainbow into her bedroom, and carefully closed the door after entering the room herself.

“So what is this all about, Twilight?” Rainbow asked.

“That stuff that Applejack said,” Twilight answered. “I can respect a lack of faith or a difference of opinion, but that wasn’t right of her to make those comments.”

“I told you, before; it’s fine,” Rainbow replied, bravely.

“You mentioned that your grandmother believed in angels and miracles,” Twilight noted.

“Yeah, but what about it?” Rainbow asked, slightly annoyed.

“Do you believe in those things, Rainbow?” Twilight asked, gently draping a wing over her friend as she did.

“I—“ Rainbow began, returning the motherly gaze Twilight’s face now held, “I do. I take that stuff seriously, even though I don’t act like it.”

“That’s what I thought,” Twilight whispered. “Why else would you be so hurt right now?”

“Something in my eye,” Rainbow lied, brushing the traces of a tear from her face.

“You can’t fool me, Rainbow,” Twilight gently replied as she drew her friend into a hug.

“T-Twilight?” Rainbow asked, surprised by her friend’s sudden gesture. “What are you doing?”

“You make it a personal goal to not let anyone see you cry, no matter how upset you get,” Twilight noted. “I could tell how hurt you were by what Applejack said before, and I don’t think I was the only one. There’s nothing to be ashamed of—if you need to cry, then cry; I won’t laugh or consider you weak, Rainbow.”

“Damn it, Twilight,” Rainbow whispered as the tears slowly began to fall. “I can’t hide anything from you.”

“It doesn’t take someone as smart as me to know when someone needs a friend,” Twilight countered.

“Thanks,” Rainbow whispered. “I don’t deserve a friend as awesome as you.”

“It’s fine, Rainbow,” Twilight said, calmly giving her friend the same maternal gesture Princess Celestia gave her earlier that day. “I’ve often told myself that same thing—I’ve felt like I don’t deserve friends as awesome as you and the others. You’ve all stuck by me, no matter what trouble I’ve had to face; now, it’s my turn to do something nice for you.”

“Twilight, I need to ask you something,” Rainbow said through her tears.

“Go for it,” the young princess replied.

“Do you believe in angels?” Rainbow asked.

“To tell you the truth,” Twilight began, searching her mind for an answer, “I can’t say for sure if there really is someone out there watching over us, but from my personal experience, I can say that miracles do happen. Otherwise, I’d still be an anti-social bookworm living in Canterlot.”

“Thank you, Twilight,” Rainbow responded, softly. “That means a lot to me.”

Time passed slowly as Twilight silently comforted her friend. As she sat there, she thought about what Time Turner was up to at that moment. In her mind, she was praying that the strange visitor was taking care of himself, and that his search was going well.

“Twilight?” Rainbow whispered, suddenly.

“Yes, Rainbow?” Twilight responded.

After pulling away from her friend, Rainbow spoke again.

“I really hope we can put a stop to these Weeping Angels,” the crying pegasus remarked. “It just isn’t fair that something so evil has to have such an innocent-sounding name, or such an unassuming appearance.”

“I know,” Twilight replied. “The sooner we get rid of them, the better.”