• Published 25th Sep 2014
  • 1,503 Views, 31 Comments

Ponies Give Me Hope - Kuyashii



Life seems bleak for Max. That is, until he meets the ponies, and finds a cause worth fighting for.

  • ...
7
 31
 1,503

3 Between Worlds

In the depths of my addled mind, the first thing I noticed was the sound of multiple voices conversing. I found it difficult to open my eyes, and they sounded less than hostile, so I decided to let my concussion sort itself out while I listened to what they had to say.

“Get away from it, it could be dangerous!”

“I don’t think so. I’ve met some of its kind before. I didn’t get a chance to study them, but the preliminaries were quite successful!”

“Oh! So it’s nice? Oh, oh oh! Once it’s awake, can I be the one to welcome it?”

“No! No songs, Pinkie. We can’t afford to attract attention.”

With renewed energy, thanks to a burst of adrenaline, I managed to crack one eye open. I expected to be blinded by the sun, but found that I was laying in the shade of some very large and strange looking trees. It almost looked like the same glade I had knocked myself out in, but just like the trees towering above, everything around me had an unnaturally smooth coloration. Three especially colorful patches gradually resolved themselves into three little ponies, almost five feet from hoof to shoulder.

The closest one to me was a purple pony, with a darker purple mane that had bright pink and violet highlights. She had a horn in the center of her forehead, which honestly didn’t look dangerous at all. The next nearest pony was a lighter violet, with a long golden mane, a pair of wings, and a skeptical, defensive expression. She was holding back the third pony, who I immediately recognized thanks to her color and the balloons on her flank. It was her. Pinkie Pie. I found that it suddenly felt difficult to breathe, so I tried sitting up.

The closest pony’s eyes grew wide and curious, drinking in every detail as I moved upright. The violet one only seemed to become more suspicious of me, while Pinkie Pie started to grin.

“Oh, please, please can I sing him my welcoming song?” Pinkie said, as she struggled to get around the pony with the golden mane. Without waiting for a response, Pinkie began to belt out her song. “Welcome! Welcome! Wel—”

“Shush!” The violet pony stuffed a hoof into Pinkie’s mouth. The purple one didn’t take her eyes off of me the whole time. Once I seemed cognizant, she smiled and addressed me.

“Hello! I’m Twilight Sparkle, what’s your name?”

“I’m Max,” I responded. My full name is actually Timothy James Maxwell, but I had always liked the sound of Max, and this seemed as good of a chance as any for a fresh start. It felt strangely natural to be conversing with a child’s toy. Maybe I had hit my head harder that I thought. I noticed that, like Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle had a mark on her flank as well—some kind of star burst. The violet pony’s flank was adorned with a trio of prominent magenta flowers.

“Nice to meet you, Max. Do you know where you are?” I took a leisurely look around. The world had suddenly turned into some Saturday morning cartoon, as far as colors and shapes were concerned. The grass was incredibly soft, and I started to believe that if I had a decent supply of orange juice, I might just lay there and never get up. The sun was low in the clear cyan sky, peeking through the tree canopy to my left and dappling the glade with leafy shadow patterns. It was definitely not the same one from the park near my apartment. I shook my head, which reminded me of exactly how I had arrived there. The headache was dizzying.

“Ah, I see. What happened to you? You seem quite dazed—did you hit your head?” After having a good look around I was too awe-struck by the whole situation to form a coherent sentence, so I simply nodded, more gently this time.

“Well, not to worry, Max! We’ll get your head bump taken care of.” Twilight’s horn started to glow, and I felt as though I had become weightless. I started to float up and over toward Twilight until I found myself rather unceremoniously draped across her back.

“Twilight, we can’t take it back to camp! What if it’s with them?” The violet pony appeared shocked that Twilight would even dare to suggest such a thing.

“Come on, Lily. It will be fun! Oh, oh oh! Can I sing it the song once we get back to camp?!” Pinkie simply exploded with excitement.

“Sure, Pink—” Twilight began to answer, but was suddenly interrupted by a burst of cheering from Pinkie Pie.

Shush!” Lily clamped her front hooves around Pinkie’s mouth, eyes darting from side to side at the shrubs and bushes ringing the glade. When Pinkie was finished, she removed her hooves and started back down the path, gesturing that the other ponies should follow. “We’ve made quite enough noise for now. This area seems clear. Let’s head back before that changes.”

Twilight set off at a trot, with Pinkie falling slightly behind so that she could get a good look at me. I was quite the oddity for them, but it worked both ways. Pinkie in particular was uncomfortably familiar to me though, so I couldn’t bring myself to return her wonder filled gaze.

Author's Note:

When I was first laying the groundwork for the story, I knew that I wanted to introduce an OC, but one that was a bit more grounded in the preexisting lore than traditional OCs.

Meet Lily Blossom, based on the MLP toy of the same name. I've seen her around the fandom before, but I thought it would be fun to take her and give her my own twist, building her character for my tale from the ground up. I hope you have as much fun getting to know her as I did writing her =)